HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Discussion: The costly mental errors committed by Montreal players

Old
04-17-2009, 07:44 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

vCash: 500
Discussion: The costly mental errors committed by Montreal players

It seems that the Habs have lost the last 5 games by committing small, yet costly, mental errors more than being totally dominated… which makes these losses frustrating, yet encouraging, at the same time

A partial list of the BIG little things (in no particular order) that led to Thursday’s defeat in Boston.

- Price not freezing the puck with more intensity
- Gorges' needless cross checking penalty in a tied 3rd period
- Laps and Kosto leaving too much room for hardest-shot-in-the-league Chara on the point in the PK

Please feel free to add further observations to this list

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 07:48 AM
FrankMTL

-Plekanec playing like a little girl and not back-checking well.

FrankMTL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 08:17 AM
Slippy13

I just DON'T understand how Kosto can follow the winger into the slot (when there is already a defenseman there), leaving Chara, the hardest shot in the league, WIDE open at the point. I just DON'T GET IT.

Slippy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 09:07 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

You can see how the bruins got 1st place this year. There's not a whole lot separating these two teams, but the difference is that the bruins dont let you get off the hook when you give them the chance to win.

Remember the last reg season game between these two? Habs were up 4-3 in the 3rd, dandenault takes a delay of penalty, boom, its 4-4. Then lapierre gets too carried away with the puck, boom, turnover and goal.

Last night, gorges gets carried away, boom, pp game winning goal.

You just cant make any mistakes against these guys. They make you pay.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 09:11 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy13 View Post
I just DON'T understand how Kosto can follow the winger into the slot (when there is already a defenseman there), leaving Chara, the hardest shot in the league, WIDE open at the point. I just DON'T GET IT.
Watch how savard sells the cross crease pass as the bruins drove the net. Savard did a really good job and Kostopoulos took the bait.

But its to the point now that I'd rather get beat by someone else other than chara on the pp. Stay aggressive on chara and make someone else beat you. This might be one of the adjustments we'll see the habs make for game 2.

Chara has really killed the habs on the pp all year.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 09:49 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Indeed that was one of the most frustrating things watching the game, some stupid mental mistakes....especially that Gorges penalty...ouch.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 10:10 AM
Harry Kakalovich

The only things that really bothered me were the empty net goal (so I guess Schneider's pass and Kostitsyn's not going to the puck), and the scrums at the end of the game, especially the second one, with Kostopoulos' attempted cheap shot.

Add to that the refs making some questionable calls that led to the first and third Boston goals, and those were my only problems. I don't know why the Habs always get shafted by the refs (maybe this means I'm biased... most probably).

This is a playoff series, and so the first game is not really about who wins, but about who is physically imposing, and the Habs imposed themselves physically which I liked. I didn't like the EN goal because that was a brainless mistake and also I think a lack of hard work on one or both players' parts. Important not to give up anything, not even an EN goal, IMO. The scrums, well, they just didn't impress as much as I was impressed with the way the Habs played the other 59 minutes. I would have felt better about them had there not been the EN goal.

I hope Georges Laraque keeps playing big minutes and the Habs keep standing up to the B's. If they do, it should make for a fun series to watch.

Harry Kakalovich is offline   Reply With Quote