HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Hockey Talk by Country
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Hockey Talk by Country Talk about the other countries that are playing the world's greatest game!

2010 Olympic Hockey Silver Medalist?

Old
02-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Den

vCash: 500
Close it! Close it! Close it!

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilssont View Post
Before every tournament everyone goes ooooooooo look at Canada, and if they can get it together then yes they are easily no.1 but they rarely do, so my guess is that the gold medal goes to Russia and Sweden silver, Canada bronze Czeck fourth
Third is the least likely place Canada would every finish. To finish 3rd you have to care about the bronze medal game, and I don't think the Canadians ever will.

Mr Kanadensisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 11:20 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Sweden or Finland.

Russia will end up with the bronze, IMO. There's a point where talent just isn't enough. Look at the Rangers in their era of buying all the talented players on the market: They failed very badly.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 08:33 PM
TrevorLinden16

In a short tournament anything can happen. I think Russia's chances more depend on the health of certain players, as they have less depth, but if everyone is healthy, they will contend.

For everyone saying that Canada does poorly in such tournaments... how has Russia been? Since winning gold in 2002, Canada has 3 of 6 world championships, the only world cup, and they lost in the last olympics. Russia only has 1 gold in those events, at the last world championships.

TrevorLinden16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 09:22 AM
STHLM*

Canada and Russia are the clear favorites followed by Sweden.

Right now I think these three countries will be the medallists. But of course in a short tournament as OG it will be some surprises. Some of the underated teams will probably do better than what we can see from the paper.

Some people says that Canada will not take bronze. But I think this is very possible(if they miss the final but I don't think so) since I think the Canadian team wants to end the tourney in a good way at the home ice. If they first lose the semi and then a bronze medal game then it will be a lot of booing.

STHLM* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 01:31 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Aurumque View Post
Sweden or Finland.

Russia will end up with the bronze, IMO. There's a point where talent just isn't enough. Look at the Rangers in their era of buying all the talented players on the market: They failed very badly.
In last world championship we saw something we haven't seen east of Finland in almost 20 years though. Teamwork and filling in for each other, russians playing for the team.

That coupled with their style of play and talent is deadly, much more deadly than Canada.

But tradition of playing for yourself instead of your country could shine through again...

mattihp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 10:35 AM
psycho_dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post
you must be joking saying that Finns win any medals with this current set of skaters.
This has been repeated by hundreds of people over the years on these boards (and everywhere else) before all of the big tournaments. And pretty much each time they have been proven horribly wrong.

Anything can happen, but one thing is a little more certain than anything else.....Finland will get the silver. That's unfortunately our color. Finland does not seem to win it, even if they do outplay the competition (like last olympics final).

psycho_dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 03:16 PM
STHLM*

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
Finland does not seem to win it, even if they do outplay the competition (like last olympics final).
Finland outplayed Sweden? Which game did watch?

STHLM* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 02:37 PM
luciousharris

Send a message via AIM to luciousharris Send a message via MSN to luciousharris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribban View Post
I do not see anything funny. I like the direction team USA is going. Getting rid of the old guys and finally giving the young guys a chance. If team USA uses it's speed I think they have just as much of a chance to medal as anyone else. In all honesty I wasn't impressed with Sweden's or the Czech Republic's team in the past World Championships. That is just my two cents.

luciousharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 04:05 AM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by major league View Post
I do not see anything funny. I like the direction team USA is going. Getting rid of the old guys and finally giving the young guys a chance. If team USA uses it's speed I think they have just as much of a chance to medal as anyone else. In all honesty I wasn't impressed with Sweden's or the Czech Republic's team in the past World Championships. That is just my two cents.
They need leaders there to balance out the youngsters who haven't got a lot of discipline or patience. As was seen in the 2008 world champs which featured quite a few of USAs future olympians... Only Kessel of the big names seemed to be able to keep his cool and be a classy player.

Old
05-27-2009, 07:13 PM
reena54

I really think Canada gets the gold.Russia does have the second best set of forwards in the NHL right now..

I vote for Canada. Let's see

reena54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 02:48 AM
Anderson9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorLinden16 View Post

For everyone saying that Canada does poorly in such tournaments... how has Russia been? Since winning gold in 2002, Canada has 3 of 6 world championships, the only world cup, and they lost in the last olympics. Russia only has 1 gold in those events, at the last world championships.
Overhype of Canada may well be it's undoing. My strong advice to some Canadians is to tame down and start soft-pedaling their Olympic team as underdogs rather than make such over confident predictions. Russia's poised to win gold and Canada runs the risk of falling prey to complacency and its reluctance to face up to facts. Or another scenario- Canada simply burns out, overburdened with responsibility.
PS Russia won not one but two straight WCs. Don't forget that and don't play it down.

Anderson9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 01:16 AM
gravytrain6t

USA has some good players this year.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 02:42 PM
whatsupcomrade*

I actually don't believe the russians will win: at the highest levels, their depth is suspect and canada will have two things working in its favour this time: a very good coach (much better than pat quinn) and the luxury of playing on north american ice (admittedly, smaller ice did not help the canadians in halifax but I think it is also fair to say that the 2008 canadian squad at the WHCs was missing some key parts and was undone by coaching that, I thought, was inflexible and unable to adapt to the strategic wrinkles the comrades introduced during the latter half of the game).

Gold is hardly a slam dunk for canada (its only a one-game showdown) but I do like canada's chances if the team can avoid being overwhelmed by the pressure of playing at home under an intense microscope - and if Mike Babcock et al prove more creative and versatile in their thinking than Quinn et al (which I think they can do).

whatsupcomrade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 02:44 PM
whatsupcomrade*

and, oh yes: Steve yzerman is a much better hockey administrator than the wayner. Gretzky has plenty of acolytes in the media, but Steve is a savvier judge of talent and possesses the humility to realize that this is not all about him and/or the next endorsement deal.

Old
08-18-2009, 02:51 PM
whatsupcomrade*

Anderson9 is correct

I am surprised to be saying this, but Anderson9 is correct: Canada would do itself a favour by playing down its chances - which really shouldn't be so hard to do insofar as there are at least three teams (maybe even four teams) that have legitimate chances vis-a-vis winning the gold. Historically, canadian teams have played their best hockey when they embrace the role of underdog; being the "prohibitive favourite" has often resulted in the red and white under-performing or struggling under the weight of great expectations. If Canada wants to win gold, the team will have to take on an unbending focus, an iron will, will have to appreciate the dangers posed by all teams in the tourney (which should not be hard to do); Canada should also recognize that players cannot be played if they are not doing the job - regardless of their stature or veteran seniority. if all this happens and the canadians receive top-notch goaltending (and better coaching than it has received at the previous three olympiads) then canada should do fine.

We'll all know in about six months, I guess

Old
08-18-2009, 02:52 PM
whatsupcomrade*

my apologies for the sloppy grammar in the last post; I am in quite a rush but wanted to comment in this thread as it is an interesting one

Old
09-11-2009, 08:31 PM
PaulieVegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drudkh View Post
Agreed. The US team figures to have more firepower than 2006 but as usual the goaltending and defensive choices won't be very inspiring.

Russia, Canada, and Sweden have the most talent. Finland always gets the most out of their players. The other 3 big 7 teams have lots of reasons to be concerned.
You have got to be joking. I agree with you about the USA's defensive choices, but our goaltending "won't be very inspiring?" I'd expect more out of a fellow American. We have the reigning Vezina trophy winner (Thomas), and he might not even be our starter! There is a former #1 overall pick who will, at best, be the #3 (DiPietro), assuming he makes the team at all! If you think our goalie choices are "uninspiring," you're a flipping idiot!

How will Canada's choices be any better? Luongo? He who let in 7 goals in a crucial game 7 against Chicago? How "inspiring" is that in a single-elimination tournament? Brodeur? He's getting old and becoming injury prone, and he didn't fare that well under the pressure of game 7 against Carolina either. Fleury? Okay, good, but is he any better than Thomas or Miller? Price? HAHAHAHA!!!! Mason? Lots of goalies have had one good year, including the aforementioned Price. Who else is there? Are Canada's goaltending choices any better than the USA's?

PaulieVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 08:45 PM
PaulieVegas

It's topics like this that make Canada look stupid. It's as if Canada has already appointed themselves the winners in 2010. Here's a news flash, Canuckleheads: you've won exactly one medal in three Olympics with the NHL'ers, and you didn't look that great doing it. There is nothing in your Olympic history that suggests you should even be favored to win, let alone so favored that you're talking about "who should win the silver."

Sorry Canada, but RUSSIA WILL WORK YOUR ASS IN 2010! They are going to bring offensive firepower like no one has never seen to Vancouver. Every time I look at what Russia will bring at forward in 2010, I piss myself. A line of Ovechkin-Malkin-Kovalchuk is the greatest offensive line the world has ever seen, and while I admit that Canada has the best defensemen in the world, Russia has the kind of offensive talent to make that completely irrelevant.

Canadians also like to contend that Russia may have high-end offensive talent, but they don't have depth. That is a bunch of bullcrap. Russia has all kinds of depth, it's just that most of Canada doesn't pay attention to it because it plays in the KHL. There is plenty of offensive talent comparable to NHL talent in the KHL. But Canadians, in their Canada-centric view of the hockey world, is either blind to it or notices it but refuses to acknowledge it. Note to Canada: Russia just won the worlds with a roster full of KHL'ers. They can do the same in Vancouver.

Canada also likes to say Russia doesn't have enough on defense to win. Oh please. Markov, Gonchar, Zubov, Kalinen, Tyutin are all terrific defensemen. That is a strong corps.

You wanna know who's going to win silver in 2010? I'll tell you: CANADA.

PaulieVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 03:55 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drudkh View Post
Agreed. The US team figures to have more firepower than 2006 but as usual the goaltending and defensive choices won't be very inspiring.

Russia, Canada, and Sweden have the most talent. Finland always gets the most out of their players. The other 3 big 7 teams have lots of reasons to be concerned.

Tim Thomas won the Vezina last year and Ryan Miller is one of the top ten goalies in the NHL.

I would take them before Nabokov/Bryzgalov.
I would take them before Kipper/Lehtonen.
I put them on equal footing with Lundqvist/Backstrom.
I would put them only behind Brodeur/Luongo. And even then, not hugely so.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 04:05 AM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post

I would take them before Kipper/Lehtonen.
Kipper will probably be on vacation.

Quote:
I put them on equal footing with Lundqvist/Backstrom.
Sweden's Bäckström is a centre, I think any NHL goalie would do better in net than him.

Old
09-12-2009, 07:11 AM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieVegas View Post
Sorry Canada, but RUSSIA WILL WORK YOUR ASS IN 2010! They are going to bring offensive firepower like no one has never seen to Vancouver. Every time I look at what Russia will bring at forward in 2010, I piss myself. A line of Ovechkin-Malkin-Kovalchuk is the greatest offensive line the world has ever seen, and while I admit that Canada has the best defensemen in the world, Russia has the kind of offensive talent to make that completely irrelevant.
The top five teams will all have about an equal shot at winning the tournament. While we are blessed with a lot of young exciting players in the game today, to suggest that they are the best ever is a complete load of b.s! There have been many players in the history of the game who dominated the sport more than anyone playing today.

Old
09-12-2009, 09:23 AM
Washington Capitals

Geez, homerism at its finest. We will wait and see.

Washington Capitals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Kamzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kanadensisk View Post
The top five teams will all have about an equal shot at winning the tournament. While we are blessed with a lot of young exciting players in the game today, to suggest that they are the best ever is a complete load of b.s! There have been many players in the history of the game who dominated the sport more than anyone playing today.
seven teams

Kamzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 02:52 AM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamzik View Post
seven teams
I would say the top 7 teams all have about an equal shot at a medal. Slovakia will have a great team, but I think it is a stretch to say they have as good a shot at the gold as the top teams.