HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Boot Punching Question

Old
04-17-2009, 02:19 AM
spjon25

vCash: 500
Boot Punching Question

Recently I got stricken with a case of Gout (this is why you drink water and not energy drinks or things like Gatorade, and eat spinach and cauliflower) and the swelling on my right big toe has been pretty big. The swelling has reduced, but I am left with a large protrusion similar to a bunion on my right foot. Has anybody here ever had their boots punched? What exactly happens, how small can the area be that is punched, and what happens if the swelling reduces again.

I a only asking since I skated on them recently, and felt like a gimp and skated worse than I usually do. Most of this was due to the discomfort caused by the protrusion on my foot. Any help would be appreciated

spjon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 09:30 AM
TheShoe82
No Diving!

Thats something you used to be able to do with the old school leather skates (figure skaters still have this done to their skates, as well as stretching). I am not sure if it can be done on todays newer skates.

I would talk to a podiatrist and see if they cant remove the growth. Thats probably your best bet.

TheShoe82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 09:42 AM
hoefs13

I've had both a pair of Grafs and a pair of one70's punched out though both were on the heels. I developed some sort of bump on my heels from the Grafs rubbing. Anyway, it seemed like the Grafs were no problem, but I could see on the one70's that they torched the heels first before they punched them. I didn't care, simply cosmetic, but they were able to do it. However it sounds like your problem is in the toe area. On all my skates, the toe cap is a different piece than the rest of the skate. I don't know what they would do with it or if they could even reach into the toe with a punch. If they were able to do it, I would think that it would be permanent. If you were to get it punched out then punched back in when it heals I would think you are running the risk of damaging the structural integrity of the skate. Those are my thoughts.

hoefs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 12:24 PM
Fly Like a C5

Sounds like you want the toe cap of the skate punched. Yes a hockey shop can punch out this area to relieve the pressure on your toe. However, stretching/punching out the plastic toe cap carries the risk of weakening the strength of the toe cap or even seperating it from the skate.

Fly Like a C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 04:14 PM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoefs13 View Post
I've had both a pair of Grafs and a pair of one70's punched out though both were on the heels. I developed some sort of bump on my heels from the Grafs rubbing. Anyway, it seemed like the Grafs were no problem, but I could see on the one70's that they torched the heels first before they punched them. I didn't care, simply cosmetic, but they were able to do it. However it sounds like your problem is in the toe area. On all my skates, the toe cap is a different piece than the rest of the skate. I don't know what they would do with it or if they could even reach into the toe with a punch. If they were able to do it, I would think that it would be permanent. If you were to get it punched out then punched back in when it heals I would think you are running the risk of damaging the structural integrity of the skate. Those are my thoughts.
i have 'em also they are called ganglions. if you care.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 04:15 PM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by spjon25 View Post
Recently I got stricken with a case of Gout (this is why you drink water and not energy drinks or things like Gatorade, and eat spinach and cauliflower) and the swelling on my right big toe has been pretty big. The swelling has reduced, but I am left with a large protrusion similar to a bunion on my right foot. Has anybody here ever had their boots punched? What exactly happens, how small can the area be that is punched, and what happens if the swelling reduces again.

I a only asking since I skated on them recently, and felt like a gimp and skated worse than I usually do. Most of this was due to the discomfort caused by the protrusion on my foot. Any help would be appreciated
get yourself a dremel tool and sand the inside down a little . you'd be surprised how little you have to sand down to get comfort.
i wear size 10 shoes and size 7 skates.dremel works magic trust me.

Old
04-17-2009, 04:40 PM
SWM

My daughter had one of her Vapor 40s punched out in the toe area and it was great after.

SWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 07:33 PM
AHF

Send a message via MSN to AHF
Bring 'em to your local hockey store, and they should be able to punch them for you at a reasonable cost.

Small areas can be punched. In your case, I'd do this little spot:

As others have said, you probably won't be able to do much with the toe-cap, but getting this area punched should help.

AHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 10:06 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
I know what you are going through. Gout is caused by high Uric acid and can happen from drinking beer and the foods that you mentioned. The problem with gout, besides the pain in your toe, is that your body produces too much uric acid. As a result, you might get kidney stone. If the body is not flushed out and gout forms in the toe, a higher concentration of uric acid is not flushed out of the system, causing stone to form in the kidney. Trust me when I tell you...This sucks. I know, I have been passing stones for over 25 years and I lost count after 300.

I have changed every kind of diet you can think of but they still keep coming and launching. I just wish they were worth something. I would be a rich man.

The next time you have an attack, ask you doctor to give you a prescription of Allopurinol. This needs to be taken the minute you see an attack coming on. Once you take it, it help flushes out the uric acid in the joint. Then you will not have to go several days or many weeks in pain.

Head coach

04-17-2009, 10:15 PM
spjon25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
I know what you are going through. Gout is caused by high Uric acid and can happen from drinking beer and the foods that you mentioned. The problem with gout, besides the pain in your toe, is that your body produces too much uric acid. As a result, you might get kidney stone. If the body is not flushed out and gout forms in the toe, a higher concentration of uric acid is not flushed out of the system, causing stone to form in the kidney. Trust me when I tell you...This sucks. I know, I have been passing stones for over 25 years and I lost count after 300.

I have changed every kind of diet you can think of but they still keep coming and launching. I just wish they were worth something. I would be a rich man.

The next time you have an attack, ask you doctor to give you a prescription of Allopurinol. This needs to be taken the minute you see an attack coming on. Once you take it, it help flushes out the uric acid in the joint. Then you will not have to go several days or many weeks in pain.

Head coach
Right now I am taking Indocin which is for occasional attacks or whatever. I am not really a beer drinker, but the vegetables I eat are the big thing with me, plus maybe too much red meat (about 2-3 times per week). I am definitely working the water edge too. I go back to the doc next week, and hopefully he can tell me about the bump by my toes and how long it will take to go away. I am looking at getting new skates in a year or to so that is why I was asking about the punching.

It seems that I will need to punch by where the toe cap and boot connect. I may look at the dremel route mentioned, but I do not want to destroy my favorite (and only pair) of skates

spjon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 11:24 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Right now I am taking Indocin which is for occasional attacks or whatever. I am not really a beer drinker, but the vegetables I eat are the big thing with me, plus maybe too much red meat (about 2-3 times per week). I am definitely working the water edge too.
Yeah, it not so much the beer, but the yeast in the beer that's the problem.

You are right about the red meat.

Doc says....

No red meat more then a deck of cards.
No Beer.
No Alcohol.
No Protein (Meat, Chicken, Fish)
No Green Lettuce.
No Green Veggies.
No Dairy Products
No Bread.

I think that means I can only eat popcorn with no butter.

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 11:28 AM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHF View Post
Bring 'em to your local hockey store, and they should be able to punch them for you at a reasonable cost.

Small areas can be punched. In your case, I'd do this little spot:

As others have said, you probably won't be able to do much with the toe-cap, but getting this area punched should help.
thats where the boot is sewn to the toe cap. grind the threads out and you are home free. i just did this same thimng about two weeks ago.the boot will still be held "together" by the laces.it helped me tons.