HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2nd Line Woes: Why won't A. Kositsyn drive to the net?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-17-2009, 09:47 AM
  #51
David
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
Pretty much...

I said ages ago that theses two can't be seperated... If one goes down, the other is gone with him.

It is how it is with brothers playing for the same team... and it will always be like that.

If this is true, how more much sad and useless the two become.

Just imagine how great these guys would be if:

Joe Sakic if he whined that he couldn't play his best with his little brother Brian not in the lineup with him.

Sergei complained that his brother Fedor Fedorov never got a chance to play with him in NHL.

Paul played half assed because his brother Steve Karyia was not beside him.

Wayne Gretzky if he didn't try his best because his brother Brent didn't make the team.

Zach Parise if he cried that it's unfair to let his brother Jordan rot in the minors because of Brodeur!

Aww...I sure wished that we got Zach instead of this enigma! Just imagine Parise playing his heart out for CH last night instead of Andre the Tin Man.

Enough excuses already. This is the Stanely Cup playoffs! Get the job done or get out of the way so that someone else can!

Andrei has been blessed with speed, skills, size and a sniper's shot...it's just that his parents forgot to give this Tin Man a heart.

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 09:47 AM
  #52
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!
 
Hawkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,885
vCash: 500
Most people seem to agree on the players who were useless last night (Brisebois, Andrei, Plekanec) or the poor coaching at times (last minute lines? Laraque playing nearly 14 minutes? Etc.)

But **WOW** does this board have a different opinion on D'Agostini or what. There are many posters who were thrilled with his game and many posters who want him benched. Such a difference of opinion on one guy.

Hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 11:11 AM
  #53
filleasiatique
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
I dont think they have.

the Tanguay-Pleky-A.Kostitsyn would probably work but i still have my doubt, since Tanguay and Pleky duo is a bit too soft for my taste. And it dont think Laraque on the first line could be a long term solution.

I would try this

Tanguay-Koivu-Kovalev
Higgins-Plekanec-D'Agostini
Latendresse-Lapierre-A. Kostisyn
Kostopoulos-Metro-Laraques



I do like the looks of Andrei on the Lapierre line...Andrei can stand in front of the net and get the puck in...seems like TK has trouble doing that.

filleasiatique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 09:46 AM
  #54
Chris Nilan
Registered User
 
Chris Nilan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyseven View Post
They're european players. They take a lot of perimeter shots and hope they go in top corner. They're not used to driving the net. It's only his 2nd full season in the NHL afterall. If we get a good coach next season that can maximize his potential, he could be a very good player.

Thanks, Don Cherry, for that terrifically insightful and completely original thought that shows that you watch as much as the entirety of Coach's Corner every week.

Tons of Euros go to the net, starting with a wave of them in the 80s. When they do, the Don Cherry types call them dirty or big robots--Tomas Sandstrom anybody? Now it's Holmstrom, Franzen, and a bunch of others who get the label.

When Ovechkin isn't a robot, he gets called a hot dog. I love it.

I'd like Chris Higgins to go to the net more and to keep his damn stick on the ice and where's he from? He does those two things playing with Koivu and he's got at least 10 more goals just on redirects, rebounds and taps!

Next you're gonna tell me that US college players can't fight.

Chris Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 09:48 AM
  #55
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 11,893
vCash: 500
The whole team needs to drive to the net....Koivu seems to be the only one who will get his hands dirty...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 09:52 AM
  #56
habsfan44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
So... Who will give him the puck?
The blade of Kostitsyn's stick is where "plays" go to die !

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 12:01 PM
  #57
eightyseven
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nilan View Post
Thanks, Don Cherry, for that terrifically insightful and completely original thought that shows that you watch as much as the entirety of Coach's Corner every week.

Tons of Euros go to the net, starting with a wave of them in the 80s. When they do, the Don Cherry types call them dirty or big robots--Tomas Sandstrom anybody? Now it's Holmstrom, Franzen, and a bunch of others who get the label.
Excuse me? I think you took my comment in the wrong light. Andrei Kostitsyn was raised in Belarus and played in a European league before he came over. They favour passing, creativity of the play, skating---aka. skill level on the big ice. You think it's a coincidence that some of the Russian players are the BEST skaters in the NHL? Of course not. That's part of their development program. Just like in Canada, body-checking is valued in the sport...it's 2 different philosphies. Neither one is right or wrong. Bettman is trying to gear toward a more finesse style of play with skill and speed, however, because he's trying to sell a sport to a US audience, the reffing is inconsistent and a lot of goonery is occuring in the playoff games. After all, American audiences also liked to see fights on the ice, aka UFC matches.

I'm saying once Andrei gets coached better, he will learn to drive towards the net.

It wasn't to knock his nationality at all. Detroit is a different situation because they have great player development, great coaching, etc. I'm not sure you could say the same about the Montreal organization. They prob. learned from Babcock to stand in front of the net, especially that Franzen guy.

P.S. I'm not a Habs fan but I've been following them because I'm rooting for a Canadian team. Sergei Kostitsyn is my favourite player on the team. He's European too.

eightyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 12:06 PM
  #58
barbudo
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
hey somebody knows why pacioretty was not playing yesterday with hamilton?? is it an injury or ...?

barbudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 12:07 PM
  #59
barbudo
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
http://stats.theahl.com/stats/offici...ame_id=1005959

barbudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 12:30 PM
  #60
Erika
Registered User
 
Erika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ville Lasalle
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
If this is true, how more much sad and useless the two become.

Just imagine how great these guys would be if:

Joe Sakic if he whined that he couldn't play his best with his little brother Brian not in the lineup with him.

Sergei complained that his brother Fedor Fedorov never got a chance to play with him in NHL.

Paul played half assed because his brother Steve Karyia was not beside him.

Wayne Gretzky if he didn't try his best because his brother Brent didn't make the team.

Zach Parise if he cried that it's unfair to let his brother Jordan rot in the minors because of Brodeur!

Aww...I sure wished that we got Zach instead of this enigma! Just imagine Parise playing his heart out for CH last night instead of Andre the Tin Man.

Enough excuses already. This is the Stanely Cup playoffs! Get the job done or get out of the way so that someone else can!

Andrei has been blessed with speed, skills, size and a sniper's shot...it's just that his parents forgot to give this Tin Man a heart.
Can't you read ?! I said brothers playing for THE SAME TEAM !!


Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 12:34 PM
  #61
smon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
Can't you read ?! I said brothers playing for THE SAME TEAM !!

Zach and Jordan Parise both played for the Devils system for two years together. Then they cut Jordan and he went to the Euro leagues.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 01:00 PM
  #62
Etienne
Registered User
 
Etienne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,830
vCash: 500
Lines I'd like to see:

Tanguay - Koivu - Kovalev
Andrei - Lapierre - Sergei
Lats - Plek - TK
Higgins - Metro - Laraque

Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 02:23 PM
  #63
Native
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 363
vCash: 500
In general, one player can't do it all on his own. AK46 is having a hard time because his line can't maintain any sustained pressure or cycle effectively. They are too far apart and should close the gap so they can better support one another. Having 2 guys slumping playing together is not working out. I can see alot of frustration on AK46's face after his shift and I think that just eats away at your psyche.

Higgins Metro AK46

Have to get AK46 away from Plecs and let him thrive with 2 very fast, focused and determined players. Andre will be the primary shooter on this line, let the other 2 makes some room for him.

It would be similiar to putting Tender with Lapierre/Kosto. It forced Tender to pick up his game to match the other two and I think he really benefited from that.

Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 02:29 PM
  #64
HabuseMoi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
Can't you read ?! I said brothers playing for THE SAME TEAM !!

then maybe we should get rid of Sergei so Andrei can become the player he was supposed to be and at the same time eliminating any risk of recurring drama in their case? is that what you are saying?

HabuseMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 03:41 PM
  #65
ashtraygirl
Registered User
 
ashtraygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toulouse, France
Country: Scotland
Posts: 324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post

Higgins Metro AK46

Have to get AK46 away from Plecs and let him thrive with 2 very fast, focused and determined players. Andre will be the primary shooter on this line, let the other 2 makes some room for him.
I agree with this. Metro and Higgins were our best skaters out there last game.

ashtraygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 05:46 PM
  #66
giovannicanella
Registered User
 
giovannicanella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
He cant play with Kovalev because hes a puck hog. He cant play with Plekanec because he plays like a girl. He cant play with Dagostini because hes a shooter. He cant play with Koivu because it works for one game and the next it doesnt. Who the hell can he play with? Seriously, enough of these excuses.
AK46 had excellent chemistry with Tanguay. I think these two players compliment each other very well. Tanguay with his vision and cycling. AK46 for his finishing. AK46 said himself he needs the puck more, it can be said we are not utilizing him to his best of his attributes. He could benefit greatly from being the gotoguy on RW with a left handed shot. I like the idea of him playing with Lats/Laps but ultimately he has played his best hockey this year playing with Lang and his brother.

So keep the brothers together! Throw in a centre in there and you are in business!

giovannicanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 05:50 PM
  #67
Dr_Hook
Registered User
 
Dr_Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan44 View Post
The blade of Kostitsyn's stick is where "plays" go to die !
that's beautiful

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 05:57 PM
  #68
Garo
Registered User
 
Garo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montréal
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan44 View Post
The blade of Kostitsyn's stick is where "plays" go to die !
But the plays are already zombies by the time it does.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 09:53 AM
  #69
Chris Nilan
Registered User
 
Chris Nilan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyseven View Post
Excuse me? I think you took my comment in the wrong light. Andrei Kostitsyn was raised in Belarus and played in a European league before he came over. They favour passing, creativity of the play, skating---aka. skill level on the big ice. You think it's a coincidence that some of the Russian players are the BEST skaters in the NHL? Of course not. That's part of their development program. Just like in Canada, body-checking is valued in the sport...it's 2 different philosphies. Neither one is right or wrong. Bettman is trying to gear toward a more finesse style of play with skill and speed, however, because he's trying to sell a sport to a US audience, the reffing is inconsistent and a lot of goonery is occuring in the playoff games. After all, American audiences also liked to see fights on the ice, aka UFC matches.

I'm saying once Andrei gets coached better, he will learn to drive towards the net.

It wasn't to knock his nationality at all. Detroit is a different situation because they have great player development, great coaching, etc. I'm not sure you could say the same about the Montreal organization. They prob. learned from Babcock to stand in front of the net, especially that Franzen guy.

P.S. I'm not a Habs fan but I've been following them because I'm rooting for a Canadian team. Sergei Kostitsyn is my favourite player on the team. He's European too.
Great. Thanks for more originality. My point is that some guys will do it and others won't. It's just who they are. Antropov, Ponikarovsky (sometimes), Tuomu Ruutu, Jarko Ruutu, Svitov, et al never played for Detroit. Explain them?

There are tons of wasted draft choices on Canadian and American kids who just won't go to the net.

Sometimes, as in the case of Richard Zednik (Euro but played in WHL), all it takes is one elbow to the head and a couple of nights in hospital and he'll never go to the net the same way again.

Do your homework, regardless of your favourite player is and leave the banalities to Mssrs Cherry and Cole.

Oh, and btw, why did Philly trade away super gritty RJ Umberger who led them in playoff goals last year?

Chris Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.