I know a lot of people don't, but I'd really like to bring back Tremblay.
Seasonned NHL coach, believes in a patient game based on defensive responsability and counter-attacking, should get our guys to play a strong forecheck, knows his Xs and Os, willing to come back to the zoo.
That style of play should make us contenders in the playoffs as long as we have people buying into the system.
Another thing we need is to adapt the philosophy of player pursuit. We have too much mish-mash and not enough team identity. Get a coaching staff that believes in a certain type of game, set them in for 5 years (so you gotta do your homework BEFORE) and draft/sign the type of guys that fit that style. Not get the best talent available, get the best talent that fits.
* 2 defenseman with a good first pass, who can clear the defensive zone, and play good defense. I don't care if they combine for 10 points through the season, so long as they do those three things. Markov can handle the powerplay with Weber.
* Some grit. We need gritty players, I don't care from what country as long as they play hard, work hard, will drive the net, and never give up. 110%? I want 150%, every night.
* A defense coach, a head coach, and depending on Game #3, maybe a new GM.
Why the hell would he wanna sign here,he would pick Toronto over Montreal IMO.Seriously I'm not joking but he has a better chance at winning something if he stays in Florida with all the great young talent they have then if he comes and sign here.We have a lot of problems and signing a player here and there ain't gonna work IMO,lot's of cleaning up to do
Last edited by Habs 4 Life: 04-19-2009 at 12:24 PM.
we need a gm that will DO EVERYTHING on his power to get us to the next level, even if it means overpaying.
its simple in my head, you can draft a support player in any round, but elite players are expections on the later rounds, so get one of those elites, they you can rebuild the support players with draft, Timmins as prooved he can do it.
Ossi Vaananen -6'5 stay at home dman who throws hits and has good defensive awareness and will probably cost less than Bouillon
Chris Neil - A player who can actually play the game, throw big hits, get under player's skin and fight.
Dustin Penner - A big body that goes to the front of the net. He's overpaid and not as physical as you'd think for someone who's 6'4, but if we send Laraque + something else (maybe that) for him he'll help.
Trent Hunter - To the Islanders Chris Higgins (or the RFA rights to)
Add one of these players, though mostly a pipe dream:
More players like this. Though, most of them are probably unattainable.
A big centre, another pipe dream
Jordan Staal (more of a realistic chance than Crosby, or Malkin)
And so forth like that.
IMO, we'll get none of those players, or even anyone similar. We'll sign useless big guys, make no trades of significance and draft another small, speed forward, or a player with alright size, but a two-way forward, or a high school defenseman.
Why not draft another behemoth of a goalie over others with actual potential ?
Its time to make moves. I dont care if we over pay at this point. We need to get top notch talent into this city asap. Enough of this crap. It will not destroy our future if we overpay by a prospect or two. IMO we need:
1) A head coach
2) At least 2 capable centermen ( a #1 and a #2).
3) A #2 D-man, along with serviceable 5, 6, 7, dmen.
4) Maybe another forward to round out our top 6, through trade.
Goaltending we will be fine. Im hoping this year was just an off year for Carey, which is entirely possible. If not, Halak is also more than capable.
Identifying who should be the focus of contract renogotiations should be first in order.
That is a very short list. Lang, Koivu, and Kovalev of our forward group. On d, Komi but at no more than 4 mil a year. He should get Orpik money (3.5). Let Tanguay, Dandenault, Bouillion, Kostopolous, Breisbois, and Schnieder go. Trade Plekanec and perhaps the Kostitsyns if you can get something for them, specifically a top-flight center ala Lecavlier.
As for what our priority areas should be, it has be on D. Sign two d in the off season. In the last few years, I thought our forwards were good enough but we had a suspect D. And this year proved that big time. And, a goal scorer like Gabby. Easier said than done.
Players who actually want to play for the Habs, and who want to win! I feel that we have too many players who lack passion for this franchise. I know, we do have some very good with heart players, but they are in the minority.
- A real coach
- Not having 3 centermen who are 5'10. For the love of god, please stop with this. Are we destined to be the team that is small and soft down the middle for the rest of our lives? Do people realize how many problems this creates?
- This Markov situtation. We CANNOT rely on him this much. 6-17 record without him? What if he breaks his arm one time? That's it we just give up on the season? We need a TRUE #2 defenceman. Komisarek and his junior league puck skills will never be it.
- An offensive go to guy that starts playing before game 70.