HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Game 2: Rearranging Deck Chairs on the Failboat

Old
04-18-2009, 06:32 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty30 View Post
The only reason that game even went to OT and the only reason the series isnt 2-0 was a lucky bounce off the boards right onto Staal's stick....
That one wasn't luck, that one was karma.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 06:40 PM
ncsu1

vCash: 500

ncsu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 06:44 PM
Marty30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
That one wasn't luck, that one was karma.
I'm not trolling or saying you guys dont deserve it, you definitely came out flying in overtime and deserved to win it, but to say that our only goal was a "lucky bounce" is a little much. It was a beautiful deflection, give credit where credit is due.

Marty30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 07:23 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

It's not that much of a stretch to say a deflection is luck. Of course it takes some skill to get your stick on a puck to deflect it but a lot of times it's luck that it ends up back in the net since you never know which way a puck is going to deflect most of the time. I'll also say Staal was pretty lucky Whitney missed and the puck bounced off the end board right to him, but like cptjeff said it's karma since that sort of thing happened two times for the Devils in the last game of the season.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 07:23 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
The only reason that game even went to OT and the only reason the series isnt 2-0 was a lucky bounce off the boards right onto Staal's stick....
No, the only reason that the game even went to OT is because Van Massenhoven doesn't know the rulebook. He blew that high stick call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty30
I'm not trolling or saying you guys dont deserve it, you definitely came out flying in overtime and deserved to win it, but to say that our only goal was a "lucky bounce" is a little much. It was a beautiful deflection, give credit where credit is due.
The way you phrased the first response seemed like you were. I do agree with you though.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 07:36 PM
Caniac4ever

vCash: 1436
Don't know if this has been posted yet, but I thought it was interesting to have the actual players admit that our Castle is loud... This is posted on NHL.com http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=418789

-- Without question, the RBC Center will be rocking for Sunday's Game 3. But don't expect New Jersey to be intimidated.

"Some people might find it chaotic, but I actually find it fun," John Madden said of playing in Carolina. "It's a really loud building. I don't if it's the way the building's designed, but it's a lot louder there than it is here. It's a good environment to have fun in."

-- Brian Compton

Let's exceed expectations Caniacs!!!

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 07:41 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
He's out at least the next 2 games, and IMO, probably for the series. It's a pretty huge loss.

That was absolutely sick hand/eye coordination. I'm guessing you've never played ice hockey?
I have, but an inch higher and that's off the crossbar and who knows what happens from there, that's the luck part to me. If there's any player on either team that looks like they're on the verge of taking over the series to me it's been Parise. But I still think that was a rather fortunate shot as someone that's scored his share of deflections and redirections before destroying my knee. I felt the same way about those goals every time I got one too.

I'm not going to get into that one any more though. Simply put, it was an extremely biased opening paragraph (whether it was the writer or our friends up in Bristol that still hold a grudge) that discredited what was a great game.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 08:15 PM
Marty30

I agree with everything said here, I just thought that to call a nice deflection "lucky" was unfair. Good luck in game 3, looking forward to a good one.

Marty30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 08:25 AM
Skydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Cane View Post
There is another Globe article with a different intro. This might not be the AP writer at work.

The ESPN link does not feature his byline, which is another giveaway that someone has edited the wire story. This looks like the doings of someone at ESPN editing for their web site, although there is a reference later in the story to the quote and the reference itself does include single quotes. That gives the use a little credibility, but it is still a bit shady.

So while it is not as egregious or unethical as first appeared, it is at least gratuitous and an unnecessary interjection given the history of our friends in Bristol.
That line was on the yahoo recap of the game. It wasn't espn that wrote that. They care so little for hockey that I would be shocked if they took the time to do anything but post the story as is.

Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 12:01 PM
AcidQueen
Joe, Lord of Evil

Send a message via AIM to AcidQueen Send a message via MSN to AcidQueen Send a message via Yahoo to AcidQueen
Quote:
I agree with everything said here, I just thought that to call a nice deflection "lucky" was unfair. Good luck in game 3, looking forward to a good one.
Translation: I'm bitter that my team's not up 2-0.

Just sayin'.

AcidQueen is offline   Reply With Quote