HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Halak will have to steal game 3

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2009, 12:27 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
When you are outmatched (ie rangers-capitals) you need your goalie (ie lundvist) to give your team a chance to win every night. And 5 goals in 2 periods isnt that.
This is exactly what Osgood was saying on TSN awhile ago. His best years are behind, we know that. I'm sure deep down, he knows that. But the guy has been a solid, very solid NHL goalie his entire career. And his words were very smart, although I forgot the quote it went something like;

"I just try to make a big save to motivate the guys. If they need a save, and I make it, it gives them fire to win. I love being the guy the depend on."

Now again, that is probably so far off the actual words that were used, but in essence, it's what was said.

Old
04-19-2009, 12:52 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I guess the 4.80 GAA w/ a .875 SV% doesn't show you? How about the career .897 SV% or 3.05 GAA in the playoffs? That doesn't do it for you either? How about the career .385 WIN%?
No question, the guy was poor against the Flyers. But he had three shutouts against Boston.

Quote:
I mean I always found it funny how people would say Patrick Lalime was a bad playoff goalie. He sure wasn't clutch, but if he was bad, I don't even want to find a word for Price's playoff career thus far. By the way, Lalime posted a career .926 SV% w/ a .177 GAA over his 41-game playoff career.
You're missing the point.

Price is the goalie of the future, Halak isn't. Accept it, its the way it is. Halak is never going to be a star in this league, with us or anyone else.

And as it is, Price has played as well as anyone could given the team that's in front of him. Having Halak wouldn't have made an ounce of difference for us. There's no reason not to stick with Price right now.

Will he lose? The way we're playing he probably will. But we'd lose with Halak too. There's no reason not to at least continue to give Price the opportunity to learn in the playoffs.

Quote:
you are extremely insightful.

Thos who "know hockey" correct? So you will tell me that Hnidy, Ryder and Savard's (first goal)goal were impossible to stop? Im not denying we gave up quite a few scoring chances and Price made some nice stops, but we knew coming into the series that the ONLY way we would have a chance is if Price was incredible. I would hesitate to say hes been even good.
When you are outmatched (ie rangers-capitals) you need your goalie (ie lundvist) to give your team a chance to win every night. And 5 goals in 2 periods isnt that.
DO you think after a horrible season guys would all of a sudden play great hockey? Especially without their best player.

PS if you are a goalie you would see how unecessary Price's mouvments are moving laterally across the net. He isnt looking confident and just because you make a nice glove save does not omit you from getting criticized.

As "hockey" people would know, the confidence and calmness of a team works from the net out. If you have confidence in your goalie, you play confident. Price dosent exude confidence, he exudes cockyness. He dosent act like a team player, and i seriouly hope he gets an attitude ajustment in the offseason.
When you have that much sustained pressure and your team isn't scoring, you're going to eventually get beaten. Halak wouldn't have been any different.
Quote:
Im all for Halak in game 3.
If they go with Halak, I'll cheer for him all the same. But I really think they should just stick with Price.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 04-19-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old
04-19-2009, 01:02 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post

Price is the goalie of the future, Halak isn't. Accept it, its the way it is. Halak is never going to be a star in this league, with us or anyone else.
This.

This is what I don't understand. You're talking about Price's potential.. how come Halak doesn't have any?

Halak, to this point, has better career NHL stats than Price. He's dominated every league he's been in.

He's 23-years old.

How is he NOT going to be a star? Explain that to me, please.

Old
04-19-2009, 01:06 PM
smon

Quote:
When you have that much sustained pressure and your team isn't scoring, you're going to eventually get beaten. Halak wouldn't have been any different.

If they go with Halak, I'll cheer for him all the same. But I really think they should just stick with Price.
I kind of agree with what you're getting at.

Neither Halak nor Price are consistent enough in my opinion to carry a team. Can't do it. Look at this year, Price in/out, Halak in/out, neither could consistently steal games and it's lunacy to expect such young goaltenders to do so.

Ultimately at this point it's just a toss up between the two given how the team is playing. I don't expect that Halak can come in and stand on his head like Cam Ward did a few years ago and give the team the series. So giving Price the starts...if he really is the "franchise goalie of the future" makes sense.

But what really ticks me off is that this was an obvious problem last playoff as well. Look at Carbonneau flipping between Price and Halak to save the Flyers series, which obviously didn't work. Handing the #1 job to Price and telling him to run with it just isn't working - he needs a veteran guy who can split games and help him with his development, like how Jeff Hackett worked well with Theodore (so well that the Avs made him their goalie coach when they got Theodore). He is nowhere near the saviour his fanboys make him out to be.

Old
04-19-2009, 01:07 PM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
you are extremely insightful.

Thos who "know hockey" correct? So you will tell me that Hnidy, Ryder and Savard's (first goal)goal were impossible to stop? Im not denying we gave up quite a few scoring chances and Price made some nice stops, but we knew coming into the series that the ONLY way we would have a chance is if Price was incredible. I would hesitate to say hes been even good.
DO you think after a horrible season guys would all of a sudden play great hockey? Especially without their best player.

PS if you are a goalie you would see how unecessary Price's mouvments are moving laterally across the net. He isnt looking confident and just because you make a nice glove save does not omit you from getting criticized.

As "hockey" people would know, the confidence and calmness of a team works from the net out. If you have confidence in your goalie, you play confident. Price dosent exude confidence, he exudes cockyness. He dosent act like a team player, and i seriouly hope he gets an attitude ajustment in the offseason.

Im all for Halak in game 3.
Well said bro!

Old
04-19-2009, 01:07 PM
smon

Quote:
This.

This is what I don't understand. You're talking about Price's potential.. how come Halak doesn't have any?

Halak, to this point, has better career NHL stats than Price. He's dominated every league he's been in.

He's 23-years old.

Oh, he definitely can. But in this organization, given the fact that Price was drafted 5th overall and Bob Gainey has been his biggest booster, I doubt there's any chance that he will win the #1 job over Price...and you have to admit Halak, like Price, is inconsistent at this point.

I don't like the organization's obvious love of Price and this crap about him being Jesus Price and whatever, he hasn't earned it from his playoff performances anyway. It's just inconsistency though, he makes incredible saves then gives up weak floaters. But I don't think Halak will be tremendously better either given his inconsistency either (look at the last game against TO).

Old
04-19-2009, 01:08 PM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
This.

He's 23-years old.

Because Price was drafted very high

Because he is younger

6ft3

Good-looking

</sarcasm>

Old
04-19-2009, 01:10 PM
Boulette Cannon

Halak is more mature.

Oh, and he doesn't cry to the ref after every goal. He sucks it up keeps on playing.

Old
04-19-2009, 01:16 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
This.

He's 23-years old.

He's not ever going to be a star.

First of all, he doesn't have the size to be a star in this league. There are exceptions of course but in this day and age you pretty much have to have the size. Second, he doesn't have the success behind him. He's been inconsistent and he's two years older. Yeah, he's been a lot better than we expected but could you imagine another team offering us anything of value for him? Me neither.

He might be good enough to be a starter somewhere and have a decent career but that's probably about it. He's great as a backup though and I like having him.

If he steps into the crease tomorrow, he'll have my support. I just think we should leave Price and hope that the team plays better in front of him. Goaltending isn't our problem right now.

Old
04-19-2009, 01:19 PM
Souvenirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGGINS! View Post
Halak is more mature.

Oh, and he doesn't cry to the ref after every goal. He sucks it up keeps on playing.
When did Halak get a goal scored against him where he had something to complain about?

Price got :
-The puck stolen under his glove
-Obstruction on him

Don't get me wrong, both goals were good but he's right to be a bit pissed.

Old
04-19-2009, 01:24 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
I kind of agree with what you're getting at.

Neither Halak nor Price are consistent enough in my opinion to carry a team. Can't do it. Look at this year, Price in/out, Halak in/out, neither could consistently steal games and it's lunacy to expect such young goaltenders to do so.

Ultimately at this point it's just a toss up between the two given how the team is playing. I don't expect that Halak can come in and stand on his head like Cam Ward did a few years ago and give the team the series. So giving Price the starts...if he really is the "franchise goalie of the future" makes sense.

But what really ticks me off is that this was an obvious problem last playoff as well. Look at Carbonneau flipping between Price and Halak to save the Flyers series, which obviously didn't work. Handing the #1 job to Price and telling him to run with it just isn't working - he needs a veteran guy who can split games and help him with his development, like how Jeff Hackett worked well with Theodore (so well that the Avs made him their goalie coach when they got Theodore).
Maybe you're right and we should've gotten an older guy for him to learn from. At this point though, it might just make sense to let Halak and Price continue on the path they're on. They already have a couple of years under their belts.

I don't think dealing Halak makes sense at this point either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
He is nowhere near the saviour his fanboys make him out to be.
I don't think anyone could save this team the way we played last night. Price gave us a chance to win game one but we need to be able to score. Putting Laraque on the PP isn't the way to do it.

Old
04-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

Price is going to play the rest of this series

Old
04-19-2009, 01:33 PM
happyhab*

I love Price....he's going to be amazing one day, but come on he's only 21 look at Luongo, Fluery, even Broduer, Vokoun, Mason (playoffs) early in their career they all had trouble. We need to go with Halak now, also make him the starter next year, it will take all the pressure off of him and let Price slowely grow his confidence.

Old
04-19-2009, 01:59 PM
Native

Halak should get game 3 and ride him until he falters. Our team defense is partly to blame as well so I can't place all the blame on Price. However, Price is simply not getting it done. He's a big guy playing small. He is down too fast on everything and not cutting the angles. I wish he would play more of a standup style like Brodeur or at least a hybrid style to take advantage of his size and reflexes. Has Melanson messed with him too much, I don't know.

Both our goalies are young, and for that position, maturity and experience go a long way. Yes, inconsisency is an issue and I do believe both will improve. Halak is underated for sure and I wouldn't dismiss him just because he doesn't have the high profile media coverage or marketability of Price. Just look at the numbers.

Old
04-19-2009, 02:11 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
No question, the guy was poor against the Flyers. But he had three shutouts against Boston.

And as it is, Price has played as well as anyone could given the team that's in front of him. Having Halak wouldn't have made an ounce of difference for us. There's no reason not to stick with Price right now.

Will he lose? The way we're playing he probably will. But we'd lose with Halak too. There's no reason not to at least continue to give Price the opportunity to learn in the playoffs.
haha
how the **** would you know?

man... some people

Old
04-19-2009, 02:16 PM
habdynasty

they could both play net at the same time and this team would still lose. this series is over.

Old
04-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Rickkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
Winning with Halak would be disasterous.
Only to the rabid hero worshipers that make up price's fan base.

Old
04-19-2009, 02:21 PM
habdynasty

can we start some different forwards too???? call up the Hamilton team

Old
04-19-2009, 02:21 PM
JohnnyB11

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
haha
how the **** would you know?

man... some people
Some people?? How the **** would you know the Habs would win (or have a better chance to win) with Halak in net??

Price made big saves last night. There are two major problems with Price: (1) He can't do the job of a defenseman because he's too busy tending goal; (2) He can't score any goals for the same reason. Unfortunately I can't see Halak improving on the offensive or defensive play of the Habs skaters.

To blame Price (or even more hilarious, Gainey) for the performance of the Habs against the Bruins is a silly-yet-predictable crybaby reaction from Habs fan on this board. And believe me, the Bruins fans are loving it. While Montreal is not having success in the playoffs thus far, maybe we could consider for a moment that THE BRUINS HAVE BEEN A FANTASTIC TEAM ALL SEASON LONG. That's worth something. In fact it's worth alot. Have to admit it, these guys are good! And seeing that the Habs have managed 3 goals in 120 minutes against the Bruins, do you really think a different GOALIE will give a different result?

If you feel the need to place blame, believe me - there are plenty of Habs that deserve a share of that.

Old
04-19-2009, 02:22 PM
Rickkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhab View Post
I love Price....he's going to be amazing one day,
No he's not. By the end of their respective careers, Halak will have amassed a far more winning and successful career.

Old
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
Halak will let in 6 goals tomorrow.
Habs lose.
Price will be blamed because he made Halak what his "bad" goaltending from the bench.

Old
Native

At one point, we had Theodore, Garon and Vokoun. I'd consider Halak much like Vokoun, living in the shadow of the other more higher profile goalies.

Old
04-19-2009, 02:24 PM
JohnnyB11

Quote:
Originally Posted by habdynasty View Post
they could both play net at the same time and this team would still lose. this series is over.
So true - unless some other players start stepping it up it really wouldn't matter if Price AND Halak were playing net. Can't win a game when you can't score any goals, a simple concept that totally escapes many of the posters in this thread.

Old
Doc McKenna

OK blind price followers, this isn't about who will be good down the road. It's about who the TEAM plays better in front of. CB said it rightly. Confidence is the issue. You want to know why the habs look bad, weak goals. Everytime we have some momentum either price or the refs take it away. We played great and then they make a weak call on us. You need your goalie to make the big saves AT THAT POINT, not later when you are down 2-0.
As soon as that crap goal goes in the team does the old facepalm and plays tentatively. We then get outworked. We look best when we are forechecking and playing puck possession. But when they fear ANY breakaway as almost certainly leading to a goal(as price has been absolutely terrible on 90% of the breakaways on him) the they don't pinch, they make bad decisions about moving the puck because they are worried about someone getting by them and throwing even a weak one at carey.

Most of us aren't saying throw the baby out with the bathwater, we are saying NOT THIS YEAR. What is so hard for you Carey Jock Riders(tm) to understand about that. Yeah when he is 23 or 24 he will be good, fine whatever. But he looks like garbage right now. The team does not have confidence in him, and we have a decent backup that played well after carey came back too soon from his injury. He doesn't need the playoff games if the scores are 5-1 and he gets pulled, how is that good playoff experience. That is more likely to ruin him than sitting a 21 years old who is having self confidence issues.

Secondly, should we just hate halak cuzz he wasn't drafted high enough. The guy is human not a piece a meat and deserves his chance too. What about his chance to develop? Don't you care about him at all? Is he too ugly? Most teams that are struggling with their starting netminder throw their backup in. If the backup plays well they let him play a bit more, but apparently that is too hard of a concept for some on here. Please go see Habs v Gerber for a good example. ANd that was a vet getting tossed for a kid, so why can't we allow the more mature goalie to at least prove weather he is a pile of crap or not.

Here is what some of you guys are saying, you would rather us get swept using price(regardless of his play) than play halak and at least prove that it isn't prices fault. Showing how bad this team is and getting rid of the pressure(that you state carey has) on him.This ending the debate of the chicken or the egg(bad goal or bad team which came first) You can at least show him he doesn't HAVE to be the man. I know some will argue that he will be scared for his job. Big Deal! We have played platoon goaltending for a long time. And if he is good enough and has the drive needed to steal his job back, it will only make him stronger. Or if not then he just isn't mentally strong enough to compete, sorry about it, but it happens. Get a new goalie move on. He will have to be looking over his shoulder in 2-4 years anyway with the habs having that 6'8 goalie they drafted. So he better get use to competition from within.

Last edited by Doc McKenna: 04-19-2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickkins View Post
No he's not. By the end of their respective careers, Halak will have amassed a far more winning and successful career.
Where did you buy your crystal ball?
I think everyone here wants to buy one.

Closed Thread