HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will a year long lockout make a free agent signing unnesessary?

Closed Thread

Old
09-17-2004, 12:09 AM
db23

vCash: 500
Will a year long lockout make a free agent signing unnecessary?

Assuming no NHL hockey until a year from now, is there any point in signing a veteran like Kovalev? Surely at least one or two of the prospects will make a big leap over the next year.

Last edited by db23: 09-17-2004 at 12:12 AM.
Old
09-17-2004, 12:37 AM
justicex

Quote:
Originally Posted by db23
Assuming no NHL hockey until a year from now, is there any point in signing a veteran like Kovalev? Surely at least one or two of the prospects will make a big leap over the next year.
As long the veteran ( enter the name you want ) play in an elite league during the lock-out I dont really see a problem. Since veteran take more time to get in shape.

But I dont think any team will sign players before the new CBA is signed. So these veterans might get less money since they will be 1 precious year older.

Old
09-17-2004, 01:06 AM
Lapps

Send a message via AIM to Lapps
Quote:
Originally Posted by justicex
As long the veteran ( enter the name you want ) play in an elite league during the lock-out I dont really see a problem. Since veteran take more time to get in shape.

But I dont think any team will sign players before the new CBA is signed. So these veterans might get less money since they will be 1 precious year older.
I think what the poster meant was with the progress rookies/young players will make in the AHL or wherever, will a veteran be necessary? (ex: Plekanec and Hossa and Ryder(?) make strides in the AHL and make Kovalev unnecesary when hockey resumes.

I think a player like Kovalev who is an incredible talent can help anyone. However, lesser-talented veteran players may lose out when hockey resumes and younger players have that extra development under their belts

Old
09-17-2004, 04:42 AM
EaGLE1

If it's a long lock-out, i think we should forget free agents and go with the kids.

At least we got Radek Bonk. Already great.

Closed Thread