HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Marian Gaborik

Old
04-19-2009, 01:13 PM
RECsGuy*

vCash: 500
Marian Gaborik

1. Where will he sign?
2. How long will his contract be?
3. What will that contract be worth?

RECsGuy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 01:29 PM
nucks_07

1 year with van for 6 mill

making a 2nd line of demitra-kesler-gaborik

nucks_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Sniper7

Send a message via Yahoo to Sniper7
Kings, $6.5, 3 years.

Sniper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 02:16 PM
bobermay

Toronto
4 years
26 million (6.5 mil/year)

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 02:57 PM
RECsGuy*

Team: Florda Panthers
Length: 2 years
Amount: $14 million ($7/year)

The one team in the league without even a borderline line ppg player. His age/production (especially considering the coach he has played under his entire career with) certainly warrants the annual salary, but he'll get a short deal until he plays 70+ games a season.

RECsGuy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 03:04 PM
Bullrun

these dollar amounts are too low...

even with the economy being what it is he will get at least 7+

well worth the risk considering he scored 10 goals in 11 games after his surgery....somebody will offer him longterm, and it might still be the wild because theyll be desperate to keep him

Bullrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 03:08 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullrun View Post
these dollar amounts are too low...

even with the economy being what it is he will get at least 7+
This. Do people honestly think that Gaborik is going to take a paycut of 1M+ to play in his prime?

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 03:12 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
This. Do people honestly think that Gaborik is going to take a paycut of 1M+ to play in his prime?
with his injury history yes, yes they do

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 03:33 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Some team will overlook his injury history and take a chance on him.

If it's just about going for top dollar.. Gaborik could pull in 7.5mil-8mil on a 2 year deal I'd bet... Maybe more depending on how some things unfold in the off season.

If he has specific teams in mind that he wants to play for.. He won't get that.

Vancouver for example? I'd offer him a 2 year deal for 7mil a year. A second line of Demitra-Kesler-Gaborik would be amazing...

Problem is when he gets hurt that line won't be NEAR as effective... You'd have to plug Raymond into his spot (hopefully he continues to up his game) or maybe Wellwood or Bernier.

In either case... Vancouver would offer 7 over 2 or 3 years... Some low end team desperare for his skill will pay 8mil I'd bet

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 03:39 PM
Fire Wilson

I could see a team like NYI offering 2 years / $18 million.

Bringing in Tavares, and Gaborik in the same season? Now that has to be a good way of selling tickets, and making the team extremely better.

Fire Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 03:39 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Interesting talk on Hotstove that included some Gaborik discussion:

Edit: Gaborik talks start at about the 5:30 mark fyi.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi

Last edited by Telos: 04-19-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 03:40 PM
Predsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Some team will overlook his injury history and take a chance on him.

If it's just about going for top dollar.. Gaborik could pull in 7.5mil-8mil on a 2 year deal I'd bet... Maybe more depending on how some things unfold in the off season.

If he has specific teams in mind that he wants to play for.. He won't get that.

Vancouver for example? I'd offer him a 2 year deal for 7mil a year. A second line of Demitra-Kesler-Gaborik would be amazing...

Problem is when he gets hurt that line won't be NEAR as effective... You'd have to plug Raymond into his spot (hopefully he continues to up his game) or maybe Wellwood or Bernier.

In either case... Vancouver would offer 7 over 2 or 3 years... Some low end team desperare for his skill will pay 8mil I'd bet
and u get the money to resign your first line how? Gaborik would mean twins are out

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 03:55 PM
Kencaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsrule View Post
and u get the money to resign your first line how? Gaborik would mean twins are out
assuming sundin does not resign.

However I agree with what you are saying, there has been a trend on these boards of almost every free-agent going to the canucks at some point this year (j-bo, sedin, sundin, gaborik ect). The canucks have cap space but i don't see them getting gaborik and have him play on a 2nd line. No allstar over ppg player would be willing to settle for that position.

This all of course depends heavily on how well the canucks do in the playoffs this year, and more specifically how well the sedins do. There are alot of question marks going into next year for vancouver (luongo, sundin, sedin's, and the UFA market) that will depend on their post-season success.

In regards to gaborik i wouldnt be suprised if he ended up in LA for 15M over 2 years.

Kencaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 06:22 PM
AintLifeGrand

Thrashers 4 years 30 million dollars

AintLifeGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 08:51 PM
Persian88

Detroit. i kno i know, capspace...

dont ask questions, Ken Holland will somehow get him to sign a 15year contract at 4.1/yr.

Persian88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 10:26 PM
Moobles

Quote:
I'm not fueling any rumors that Gaborik's going to the Canucks cause they're just rumors, he's said and done nothing but we'll wait and see, but the above quote completely depends on what Sundin wants to do this summer. The Canucks still have something like 2 mil in cap space (I could be wrong) and Sundin has a massive phat 1 year contract. If Sundin was to leave, there'd be enough space to sign the Sedins and Gaborik for at least a year, assuming he's in the 6-7 (tops) mil range, but I think it would really strangle the Canucks.

If Sundin stayed with the Canucks and the Canucks kept him, I can't really see Gaborik signing with us (but who knows, just speculation).

Moobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 08:16 AM
enthropi
Hiss Hiss (TKA) Hiss

I don't think any team gets Gaborik under 8M, I'd tend to say 8.5M even.
NYI, MTL, TOR and VAN will be the ones out-bidding each other for all the top UFA forwards since they will all be lacking a legit 1st line under the current situation with massive amount of cap space.

Tavares - Sedin - Sedin sounds like a killer line for NYI.

enthropi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 08:44 AM
Okposofan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthropi View Post
NYI, MTL, TOR and VAN will be the ones out-bidding each other for all the top UFA forwards since they will all be lacking a legit 1st line under the current situation with massive amount of cap space.

Tavares - Sedin - Sedin sounds like a killer line for NYI.
two things, i don't think our owner is willing to spend that much money and i also doubt the sedin twins would come here, even if we outbid everyone else.

Okposofan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 09:10 AM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by enthropi View Post
With his history of injury, he'll be lucky to get 6mil per. He will likely sign a deal for 2yr/12mil to prove he can play injury-free.

His big payday will come, but not if he can't play a full year without spending time on LTIR.

As for where he will go, it will probably be where he can play more of a scoring role. Lemaire's system choked him off in that regard (Gaborik constantly complained he wanted to play more offense). Atlanta plays an offensively open system, for example, and Gaborik would thrive in it. Whether or not the cheap owners will buy in remains to be seen.

dj4aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 10:41 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper7 View Post
Kings, $6.5, 3 years.
Not sure about the numbers, but the location is right. Gaborik will be a King next year.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 10:59 AM
Zal

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Not sure about the numbers, but the location is right. Gaborik will be a King next year.
$7.2-$7.5m for 2 years.

Zal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 11:16 AM
nickschultzfan

With Dougy out of the way, the Wild are going to re-sign Gaborik and make some other splashes.

After San Jose loses in the first round to Anaheim, Blake retires. They then look to change things up in the off-season.

Sick of his constant play-off let downs, San Jose trades Thorton to the Wild for Sheppard, Bouchard, and Zidlicky. Zidlicky replaces Blake's points (but not defensive play). Sheppard gives San Jose a long-term power center. Bouchard flurishes in a more open and agressive system.

Then, after Detroit gets knocked out to a team with better goal-tending, they trade the UFA rights to Hossa + 2nd in 2009 + 3rd in 2010 for Josh Harding.

Wild sign Hossa and re-sign Gaborik.

Or maybe not...

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 12:39 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4aces View Post
With his history of injury, he'll be lucky to get 6mil per. He will likely sign a deal for 2yr/12mil to prove he can play injury-free.

His big payday will come, but not if he can't play a full year without spending time on LTIR.

As for where he will go, it will probably be where he can play more of a scoring role. Lemaire's system choked him off in that regard (Gaborik constantly complained he wanted to play more offense). Atlanta plays an offensively open system, for example, and Gaborik would thrive in it. Whether or not the cheap owners will buy in remains to be seen.
Someone will sign him to a deal thats equal or more than his current contract of 7.5M. Its not an issue of what he can do its an issue of will he stay healthy and some team will take a chance and not make him take a paycut.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 12:45 PM
PotaGuitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persian88 View Post
Detroit. i kno i know, capspace...

dont ask questions, Ken Holland will somehow get him to sign a 15year contract at 4.1/yr.
Which brings up the question, will Holland sign Gaborik to a 100 year contract worth 100 mil? Come onnnn, his cap hit would only be 1 mil.

PotaGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 06:54 PM
Red Alberks

Craig Leipold, the owner of the Wild, loves Marian Gaborik. He is going to do everything he can, such as hiring a GM who will do whatever it takes, to try and get Gaborik to stay in Minny.

I think Gaborik will stay in Minny.

Red Alberks is offline   Reply With Quote