HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Markov a Superstar?

View Poll Results: Is Markov a Superstar??
Yes 172 54.60%
No 143 45.40%
Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-19-2009, 03:12 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by song4thedeaf View Post
he is not top 2 in the east.. and defiently not top 5 in the league...sorry

chara
lidstrom
greene
neidermeyer
pronger

are all better, no question... and dont give me the same crap you did at the Allstar break about Greene...he will be nominated for a Norris, no question...not saying he will win it, but nominated.... will Markov?...nope
Like I said before, I don't need Markov to be nominated for a Norris to call him a Superstar. There's 3Nominees for the Norris, does this mean there's only 3 Superstar Dman in the league?..No.

Green is not better than Markov. Green is 100% offensive, 0% defensive. He's a big defensive liability, Markov will produce a little less but is much better defensively.
I'd take Markov over Green.

Pronger and Nieds are over the hill, unlike Lidstrom they seem to have lost some of their touch. They're still great, but Markov is right there with them IMO.
Lidstrom is the best hands down even is he's 39. Chara because of his size I'd say comes in 2nd, and then it's close between Nieds/Markov/Pronger.

If Green can start to focus more on the defensive part of his game, then maybe he'd be better, but as of today he's no where near Markov's defensive shutdown skills.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 03:14 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
he is a star. IMO there are maybe 3-4 superstars in the league. Basically you have Crosby, Malkin and Ovechkin as the only superstars.
You need to be able to differ an offensive superstar from a Defensive and Goalie one.

Who are the equivalent of Crosby, Malkin and Ovechkin on D and G?..

Old
04-19-2009, 03:17 PM
Thinkbig

Yes he is. But out of the ice, he isn't.

Thinkbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 03:19 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
yes

/thread

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 03:23 PM
Seguins Dragon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
You need to be able to differ an offensive superstar from a Defensive and Goalie one.

D- Chara, Lidstrom, Neidermeyer

G- Brodeur, Loungo

Seguins Dragon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 03:46 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
I do.
Best two way player in the league, is no push over and can lay big hits when needed, keeps getting better since lock out, amazing skills, 194pts in the past 2years.

I think he is, him and Zetterberg.
That's the thing. You consider everyone have a good season or two a superstar. In my opinion, they're stars. Superstars are doing it year in, year out for many years and are recognized as such throughout the league. They're the Elite of the league, the record breakers. Few and far between.

In other words, there are few superstars in this league and many star players, which is what Markov is, no doubt about it.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 04:04 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
That's the thing. You consider everyone have a good season or two a superstar. In my opinion, they're stars. Superstars are doing it year in, year out for many years and are recognized as such throughout the league. They're the Elite of the league, the record breakers. Few and far between.

In other words, there are few superstars in this league and many star players, which is what Markov is, no doubt about it.
Ok, so you have to break a record to become a Superstar?..If that's what you want to qualify a Superstar, I'll agree, Markov isn't one and neither is Lecavalier. Neither are a bunch of names that were thrown here.

But the people that want to argue Green or Boyle and even Pronger are superstars but not Markov, are greatly mistaken.

Old
04-19-2009, 04:07 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Ok, so you have to break a record to become a Superstar?..If that's what you want to qualify a Superstar, I'll agree, Markov isn't one and neither is Lecavalier. Neither are a bunch of names that were thrown here.

But the people that want to argue Green or Boyle and even Pronger are superstars but not Markov, are greatly mistaken.
I'm not saying that they need to break records necessarily, but under my definition of superstar, I fully agree with you that Green and Boyle aren't superstars. They definitely are star players though.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 04:11 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

I don't see how by any stretch of the imagination that Pronger wouldn't be considered a superstar. He's well past his prime but the guy is a HOF player who not only won the Norris but a Hart trophy. He led a bad team to the finals and won it with Anaheim the following year. I'm not sure how many times the guy has been a finalist for the award but Pronger qualifies for sure.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 04:19 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:

Chara is an absolute beast offensively and defensively.

Lidstrom in his prime played HUGE minutes and is and was a perennial Norris candidate and winner.

Markov is definitely among the leagues elite but can't dominate a game like Chara for example especially on a consistent basis.

Superstars take games over.

Kirk Muller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
Chara is an absolute beast offensively and defensively.

Lidstrom in his prime played HUGE minutes and is and was a perennial Norris candidate and winner.

Markov is definitely among the leagues elite but can't dominate a game like Chara for example especially on a consistent basis.

Superstars take games over.
What is our record without Markov again?..Superstars make their linemates look great. Wasn't there a poll last year here asking who was truly our 1st Dman, Komi or Markov.

Markov has better numbers than Chara and is just as good as he is if not more defensively. Where Chara gets the edge is his shot and physical presence.

Let's look at the teams Lidstrom, who is unarguably a superstar and has been for a long time, played with. Put Markov on a team with Larionov, Yzerman, Fedorov, Ciccarelli, Konstantinov, Fetisov, Kozloz, Shanahan, Chelios, Murphy, not to mention other stars like Hull, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Hatcher,Rafalski, Lang, Holmstrom, Schneider, Zetterberg, and MANY more.

I'm pretty sure Markov would have won the Norris as well. Not trying to take anything away from Lidstrom, but he always had a good entourage. That made him better quicker and at 39 is still considered the best NHL Dman.
Not saying Markov would have accomplished what Lidstrom has, but he certainly would have benefited from it too.

Markov has played on poor Habs teams and year after year is making a bigger name for himself.