HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hard Cap and Ticket Prices

Closed Thread

Old
09-16-2004, 05:36 PM
chicpea*

vCash: 500
Hard Cap and Ticket Prices

What do you guys think. If the NHL "wins" this epic battle and achieves a hard cap, will ticket prices come down? Substantially? At all? I have serious doubts myself.

(Because you often hear the argument that higher ticket prices are needed for salaries - though Ron Mclean argued the opposite model today on the CBC, saying that higher salaries in fact come second, after there is more revenue from higher tickets.)

Old
09-16-2004, 05:39 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicpea
What do you guys think. If the NHL "wins" this epic battle and achieves a hard cap, will ticket prices come down? Substantially? At all? I have serious doubts myself.

(Because you often hear the argument that higher ticket prices are needed for salaries - though Ron Mclean argued the opposite model today on the CBC, saying that higher salaries in fact come second, after there is more revenue from higher tickets.)
I don't think ticket prices will come down but they will not jump in future years like they have in the last few years

Old
09-16-2004, 05:41 PM
EaGLE1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Gingerly 1
I don't think ticket prices will come down but they will not jump in future years like they have in the last few years
i think the same.

If they keep the same price, it's alright for me, but i don't want to pay more...

Old
09-16-2004, 09:56 PM
Habber

Ticket prices and salaries aren't really related. The cost of tickets, like any other good, is pretty much dictated by supply and demand. If they can get sellouts charging X dollars, why would they sell them cheaper?

It's not so much that ticket prices have climbed because of salaries, it's that salaries have climbed because they are able to genererate more cash from the gates. The problem is the small market or poor market teams can't compete with teams that can sell out charging $200 a ticket.

Old
09-16-2004, 10:06 PM
hosehead

If the teams think they can get people to pay more they will always raise prices regardless of the circumstances. I bet the Leafs won't lower their prices but I know Buffalo made some prices lower already --but they have to no matter what because no one is going to their games anyway.

Old
09-16-2004, 10:11 PM
chicpea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber
Ticket prices and salaries aren't really related. The cost of tickets, like any other good, is pretty much dictated by supply and demand. If they can get sellouts charging X dollars, why would they sell them cheaper?

It's not so much that ticket prices have climbed because of salaries, it's that salaries have climbed because they are able to genererate more cash from the gates. The problem is the small market or poor market teams can't compete with teams that can sell out charging $200 a ticket.
I agree totally, it's just that I've heard "high salaries" being used as an excuse for years. There is no correlation and that's why I'm curious what owners will do if they get their hard cap.

Old
09-17-2004, 09:48 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Depending on how long the lockout goes, and what quality of players come back to the post-armageddon league, they might have to lower ticket prices. At least in many cities. Just to get some fans back in the seats.

But if everything goes mostly according to plan and they can break the union and get a cap without resorting to scabs or totally losing the casual fan, they have no reason to lower prices. They'll keep them at whatever level the market will bear. You already see a disparity in the NHL anyway, where Toronto can get away with charging lots more than other teams, on the supply and demand business basics. Toronto can set their prices pretty much anywhere they want, other teams might have a trial and error period to see how many fans are willing to come back and at what price. But it won't really relate to player salaries directly.

Closed Thread