HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Thank you Mediots!!!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-19-2009, 08:10 PM
  #1
Schooner Guy
Registered User
 
Schooner Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,657
vCash: 500
Thank you Mediots!!!

I'm just watching the Rogers coverage of Belleville versus Brampton Game 3 and Brandon Mashinter was interviewed during the 2nd intermission and discussed his recent signing with the San Jose Sharks. He mentioned that Montreal was hard after him and stated that the media in Montreal is crazy and "can eat you up alive" so he decided on San Jose because the environment is more "low key".

Thank you Mediots!! Not only are big name UFA's steering completely clear of Montreal but now even undrafted overage Junior players are staying the hell away! Agents everywhere are telling their clients to avoid us at all costs. Even our overseas prospects are staying away.

Our brass is definitely handicapped thanks to these tabloid clowns. Good luck building a championship!

Sidenote: PK is looking good tonight....made a spectacular rush that resulted in Belleville's 5th goal....Bulls are up 5-2 with 13 minutes left in 3rd.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 08:12 PM
  #2
Frankenheimer
Registered User
 
Frankenheimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: MTL
Posts: 1,863
vCash: 500
I'm sure some players love to be lavished with attention though. Kovalev for example. It's probably a negative overall, but there are some positives I would suspect. Look at Schneider, he's playing great thanks to the energy of this city. That's some good publicity for free agents.

Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 08:13 PM
  #3
BenWahBurnout*
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5
vCash: 500
Yes, thanks for weeding out the panty wastes that are scared of being in a real hockey atmosphere.
Mashinter? Sounds like it belongs in a diaper.

BenWahBurnout* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 08:15 PM
  #4
Magic33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,562
vCash: 500
All these guys are losers. If you come here and give a solid effort, most of the time you'll be alright. Its when you play like ****, go party and associate with mafia , that you'll be "eaten alive". All these players need to grow a pair.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 08:15 PM
  #5
Woland
Registered User
 
Woland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,461
vCash: 500
what a wuss. As if he'll even make it to Montreal....

Prove yourself in Hamilton first, child !

Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 08:16 PM
  #6
Namso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,031
vCash: 500
unfortunately hockey players in general are more conservative and less interested in the spotlight compared to other sports like football and basketball.

sucks for us though bc hockey is the ONE sport which is in constant spotlight in mtl.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 08:18 PM
  #7
MonacoBlue
 
MonacoBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,997
vCash: 500
He's not a wuss. He's admitting what everybody already knows. Why would you come here when you can go elsewhere? It's not like the choice is between sucking it up and playing pro hockey in Montreal or not playing hockey at all. If he can go somewhere else and not have to deal with getting his privacy invaded every day, he'll do it.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 08:21 PM
  #8
Newhabfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,042
vCash: 500
The mediots (I like the term) do more damage then we will ever realize.

Sure, there is a similar media pressure on the Yankees and the Cowboys - but guess what - you can take it when you are overpayed. While in Montreal you also have the highest taxes in NA and the language issues.

Bob Gainey got his acquisitions either through trades (when the player has little options): Tanguay (he had an NTC?), Lang, Schneider; or by overpaying them like Hammrlik and Laraque. Then the same mediots bash him for not being capable of attracting stars...

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 08:22 PM
  #9
Garo
Registered User
 
Garo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montréal
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woland View Post
what a wuss. As if he'll even make it to Montreal....
It'd be easier here than San Jose.

Garo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 08:24 PM
  #10
Schooner Guy
Registered User
 
Schooner Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlue View Post
He's not a wuss. He's admitting what everybody already knows. Why would you come here when you can go elsewhere? It's not like the choice is between sucking it up and playing pro hockey in Montreal or not playing hockey at all. If he can go somewhere else and not have to deal with getting his privacy invaded every day, he'll do it.
Exactly. The other thing is the agents and parents of these kids still have a lot of influence on their decisions. If they're looking out for the best interest of these kids, they'll advise them to choose a different option than Montreal.

The Toronto media can be extremely cruel regarding hockey performance (i.e.- McCabe, Raycroft). The Montreal media crosses the line by going into the personal lives of players.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 08:26 PM
  #11
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
I'm just watching the Rogers coverage of Belleville versus Brampton Game 3 and Brandon Mashinter was interviewed during the 2nd intermission and discussed his recent signing with the San Jose Sharks. He mentioned that Montreal was hard after him and stated that the media in Montreal is crazy and "can eat you up alive" so he decided on San Jose because the environment is more "low key".
Sorry but to me those guys are pure ignorants. Any guys that are working hard and doing their job won't have any problems with the media. That's pure ignorance and those players are not wanted in my team 'cause it's not about the media but it's about how ignorant you can be. The media are there 'cause there's enough people that read them, watch them and listen to them. How the hell is a radio station able to go from a generalist radio to an all sports radio? 'Cause there are people listening to it. How can this province have 3 freakin Sports show at night? 'Cause people are watching. So the real problem are the fans. Should we then stop to like our team so much? We should start blaming ourselves to be so crazy about that team and frankly, it maybe time we do so.

I'm wondering something though.....I guess that Mashinter talked to PK and if he did, what did PK said? I mean were they PK words? Let's hope that PK doesn't think that already 'cause I'll be dissapointed. This guy will be an idol to the fans and the media if he reaches his potential.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 08:26 PM
  #12
Newhabfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic33 View Post
All these guys are losers. If you come here and give a solid effort, most of the time you'll be alright. Its when you play like ****, go party and associate with mafia , that you'll be "eaten alive". All these players need to grow a pair.
When it's about good player - he will get offers from several teams - why choose Montreal ? Why swim against the flow when you can get in a more relaxed place ? For higher taxes ? For the history of the franchise ? For the beautiful fans that booed countless Hall of Famers out of the city ?

And BTW - is Jacques Lemaire a loser ? Cause he said it too. And so did, indirectly Pat Burns, another loser.

Agents know it, players know it, coaches know it. Most won't say it publicly, but once in a while, it will be named.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 08:28 PM
  #13
Schooner Guy
Registered User
 
Schooner Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,657
vCash: 500
PK just got helped off the ice...knee injury. See Habs Prospects post. This game is a war.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 08:31 PM
  #14
Schooner Guy
Registered User
 
Schooner Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Sorry but to me those guys are pure ignorants. Any guys that are working hard and doing their job won't have any problems with the media. That's pure ignorance and those players are not wanted in my team 'cause it's not about the media but it's about how ignorant you can be. The media are there 'cause there's enough people that read them, watch them and listen to them. How the hell is a radio station able to go from a generalist radio to an all sports radio? 'Cause there are people listening to it. How can this province have 3 freakin Sports show at night? 'Cause people are watching. So the real problem are the fans. Should we then stop to like our team so much? We should start blaming ourselves to be so crazy about that team and frankly, it maybe time we do so.

I'm wondering something though.....I guess that Mashinter talked to PK and if he did, what did PK said? I mean were they PK words? Let's hope that PK doesn't think that already 'cause I'll be dissapointed. This guy will be an idol to the fans and the media if he reaches his potential.
PK's words?? Get your head out of the sand. Our insane and dirty media coverage is common knowledge throughout the hockey world. Do you think if Joe Thornton had a serious eye injury, that paparazzi would sneak into his hospital room and take a picture with a huge flash?

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 08:32 PM
  #15
Newhabfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Sorry but to me those guys are pure ignorants. Any guys that are working hard and doing their job won't have any problems with the media. That's pure ignorance and those players are not wanted in my team 'cause it's not about the media but it's about how ignorant you can be. The media are there 'cause there's enough people that read them, watch them and listen to them. How the hell is a radio station able to go from a generalist radio to an all sports radio? 'Cause there are people listening to it. How can this province have 3 freakin Sports show at night? 'Cause people are watching. So the real problem are the fans. Should we then stop to like our team so much? We should start blaming ourselves to be so crazy about that team and frankly, it maybe time we do so.

I'm wondering something though.....I guess that Mashinter talked to PK and if he did, what did PK said? I mean were they PK words? Let's hope that PK doesn't think that already 'cause I'll be dissapointed. This guy will be an idol to the fans and the media if he reaches his potential.
Take a look at the retired jerseys and count how many of those guys were driven out of town by "fans" and media. Starting with Morenz and ending with Roy.

Or take the case of two young players that had an exceptional year last year - Plekanec and Kostytsin. They have a horrible one now and everyone in the city and the media want to get rid of them for a bag of pucks. Then they look at the poor years some of the nowadays stars, like Lecavalier or Datsyuk have had when they were younger.

They probably curse the fact they play here.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 08:36 PM
  #16
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
And BTW - is Jacques Lemaire a loser ? Cause he said it too. And so did, indirectly Pat Burns, another loser.

Agents know it, players know it, coaches know it. Most won't say it publicly, but once in a while, it will be named.
Do you think you can make the difference between coaches, the ones who HAVE to speak to the medias every single day, before each game, after each game and so on and an english player who is interviewed 5 times a year? How many times have you heard Roman Hamrlik this year? Anybody bothering him about the way he's playing for the salary he's getting? How about Josh Gorges, medias are on his case? The Kostitsyns are getting it 'cause of how badly they play. Yes Koivu is under the radar 'cause of the C he's wearing and what it represents to this team? But who else is persecuted by the evil medias?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 08:36 PM
  #17
Cyrrus147
Registered User
 
Cyrrus147's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,897
vCash: 500
Yea and no one want to play for the Yankees...

Give me a break. You're a professionnal athlete, if you can't handle pressure, choose a other job.

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 08:41 PM
  #18
MonacoBlue
 
MonacoBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post
Yea and no one want to play for the Yankees...

Give me a break. You're a professionnal athlete, if you can't handle pressure, choose a other job.
They don't have to choose another job. That's the point. They can just play somewhere else.

Unlike baseball players, most hockey players are not egomaniacs craving attention.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 08:44 PM
  #19
Newhabfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post
Yea and no one want to play for the Yankees...

Give me a break. You're a professionnal athlete, if you can't handle pressure, choose a other job.
And when you are a really good player, the yankees pay you ten times what others can pay. At that price you can take all the media pressure.

In Montreal you actually get paid less, due to taxes.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 08:46 PM
  #20
Schooner Guy
Registered User
 
Schooner Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post
Yea and no one want to play for the Yankees...

Give me a break. You're a professionnal athlete, if you can't handle pressure, choose a other job.
The Yankees pay players twice as much as anyone else will. Look at their payroll compared to other MLB teams. NHL has a salary cap. Apples and Oranges.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 08:47 PM
  #21
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty
 
Born in 1909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenWahBurnout View Post
Yes, thanks for weeding out the panty wastes that are scared of being in a real hockey atmosphere.
Ma****er? Sounds like it belongs in a diaper.


Mediots?

When pronounced in French its BRILLIANT!


Last edited by Born in 1909: 04-19-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 08:48 PM
  #22
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
PK's words?? Get your head out of the sand. Our insane and dirty media coverage is common knowledge throughout the hockey world. Do you think if Joe Thornton had a serious eye injury, that paparazzi would sneak into his hospital room and take a picture with a huge flash?
I guess that's the insane medias are the reason why nobody want to play for the Yankees. Sure the Habs can't pay like the Yankees can which then explains that the medias might not be the sole reason after all. Try having a winning team for a change, a team that can be a contender, a team that teams will stop laughing at. Clearly, even Higgins who seems to not like to play here anymore said it, it's great to play here when you win, not so great when youl lose, well of course nobody want to play here, we're a borderline playoff team year after year. Bring a winning team for once, a real one, not a flash in the pan, and a whole lot less people will be worried to come here.

But to put that solely on the medias is stupid. Could be a whole lot of factors, sure. But the medias alone? Well only the misinformed will say that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
Take a look at the retired jerseys and count how many of those guys were driven out of town by "fans" and media. Starting with Morenz and ending with Roy.

Or take the case of two young players that had an exceptional year last year - Plekanec and Kostytsin. They have a horrible one now and everyone in the city and the media want to get rid of them for a bag of pucks. Then they look at the poor years some of the nowadays stars, like Lecavalier or Datsyuk have had when they were younger.

They probably curse the fact they play here.
Sure 'cause every case of players that didn't end their career here has to do with fans and medias. The way Lafleur end his career has nothing to do with Lemaire. Okay, fans applauded Roy 'cause stupid Tremblay decided that this was going to happen, but clearly Roy decided to leave 'cause of the fans and not Tremblay....should I go on? I know that THE guy that was booted out of here, Brisebois, decided to comeback and got this great support now that the stupid people realized how dumb they were. I know that Chelios got this great ovation when he came back. I know that when Lafleur came back as a Rangers he was more applauded than the Habs goals.....

We've been unable to reach a 3rd round in 15 years but surely blame the media and the fans for their supposed too high expectations....

The french guys. Those are the ones with the pressure to perform. Those are the ones talked about and the ones that have to respond when they are interviewd after the game since they are the only ones that speak french. So clearly, some french players don't want to come unless there are other french speaking guys that will be able to share this pressure and this media frenzy.

How about Plekanec and Kostitsyn? Are you talking about HF 'cause that's about the only place I saw them being offered for bag of pucks? But where the heck did you read the medias talk badly about Plekanec if it wasn't to say how badly he was playing, 'cause we're still allowed to say that are we? Even one of the greatest french lovers, Marc Bureau, keeps defending Plekanec as if he was his own son. As far as Kostitsyn is concerned, well when it seems that you're just not interested in trying, well you deserve everything that is coming at you. And every player who is trying, like Plekanec, will have a lot of breaks before people will be coming at them.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 08:51 PM
  #23
Newhabfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Do you think you can make the difference between coaches, the ones who HAVE to speak to the medias every single day, before each game, after each game and so on and an english player who is interviewed 5 times a year? How many times have you heard Roman Hamrlik this year? Anybody bothering him about the way he's playing for the salary he's getting? How about Josh Gorges, medias are on his case? The Kostitsyns are getting it 'cause of how badly they play. Yes Koivu is under the radar 'cause of the C he's wearing and what it represents to this team? But who else is persecuted by the evil medias?

Let's see (I can give examples for each):
- Higgins
- Kostopoulos
- Lang (during the first 2 months of the season Michel Bergeron kept claiming he was not an upgrade over Smolinski)
- Latendresse
- Price
- Halak at times
- Tanguay
- Laraque
- Brisebois
- Kovalev
- O'Byrne
- Plekanec
- Komisarek
- Dandeneault
- even Lapierre - remember when everyone in the media was bashing him for not dropping the gloves ?
- Metropolit (for not being an upgrade over Begin)
- Schneider for being old and soft


.... I guess I forgot some...

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 08:56 PM
  #24
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty
 
Born in 1909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
Let's see (I can give examples for each):
- Higgins
- Kostopoulos
- Lang (during the first 2 months of the season Michel Bergeron kept claiming he was not an upgrade over Smolinski)
- Latendresse
- Price
- Halak at times
- Tanguay
- Laraque
- Brisebois
- Kovalev
- O'Byrne
- Plekanec
- Komisarek
- Dandeneault
- even Lapierre - remember when everyone in the media was bashing him for not dropping the gloves ?
- Metropolit (for not being an upgrade over Begin)
- Schneider for being old and soft


.... I guess I forgot some...
SAKU!!!

How could forget Saku?

The Devil himself

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 09:01 PM
  #25
Schooner Guy
Registered User
 
Schooner Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Bring a winning team for once, a real one, not a flash in the pan, and a whole lot less people will be worried to come here.
It's difficult to do when top tier free agents won't sign here. We're at a clear disadvantage. Big name players still go to losing teams. The Flyers were last overall in the NHL when Briere chose Philly over Montreal. Free agents will even go to Toronto and they haven't won squat in 42 years. Their media is tough but it isn't as insane as ours and doesn't cross the line with as much frequency.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.