HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

If not Gainey as GM then who?

Old
04-19-2009, 09:54 PM
Subban Fan

vCash: 500
Patrick Roy, Pat Brisson, François Giguere...

Subban Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 09:56 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
You mean besides letting 2 allstar dmen walk without getting a thing in return, failing to fix the blueline, trading away Huet and not getting a veteran, Jinnima, Hamrlik for 6million and firing his coach he praised the week before all while watching his franchise goalie fall apart and allowing 11 FA's to be up this season?

Yeah, BG is super awesome.
Gainey believes in the potential of his personnel.

He believes in...

Pleks
Price
Higgins
AKost
SKost
Dago
O'Byrne
Laraque
Kovy

pretty much everyone

I still maintain that without losing top guys for long stretches, this is a totally different looking season.

As far as the other points you make, well they've been discussed to the limit already...

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 10:01 PM
clarke19

PJ Stock for Coach!

clarke19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 10:05 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolt View Post
in case you havnt realized you have thomas locked up for the next 4 years, so your telling me ur ok with your future goaltender not starting for the next 4 years, that a bit too much seasoning if u ask me
Rask is but 20 years old I think, either turned 20 or will be 21 ... Tim Thomas locked up for 4 years at 35 years old. No guarantees that age doesn't catch up with him with either injury or slower reflexes.

The GM clearly stated the gameplan was to bring Rask in at some point which had the Manny won't be here next year overtones so Rask can be the backup and get some games in.

Tuukka Rask will be a great one we already know that from what we have seen of him here and there.

If he outplays Tim Thomas for the job he does. Tim Thomas got the job because he outplayed everyone we had in goal that he was supposed to back up. Stole the job really and was rewarded this season with a nice contract.

I was just stating though that they brought Price in way too young for such a high pressure place to play in Montreal. I would hate to see any goaltender ruined like that.

Price seems like a good kid and he deserves a fair shake. I think Montreal fans expect a Stanley Cup, Patrick Roy performance, Dryden performance every year and need to be realists. Those greats are rare an unfair pressure for the current goaltending tandem in Montreal.

Luongo in Vancouver is the only goalie I see playing today in that caliber ... well besides a younger Brodeur. Brodeur has been good but not great like he was before.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 10:11 PM
timbitca

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB11 View Post
A new GM is the LAST thing on my wish list. Blame him all you want, Gainey's done a good job with the Habs and will comtinue to do so next season.
I have to agree with this. Gainey FTW!

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 10:12 PM
BulldogFever

Sheed 36, your avatar is hot!

You guys are soft, nobody ripped me. The goal is be careful for what you wish for it might come true. Remember the ineptitude of the Reggie Houle era, not only did we suck but we had nobody in the minors! And now everyone wants to go back to those days because we can't challenge for the Cup. Before last year we finished 7th or 8th for the last few years. Then everyone has a career year at the same time and we finish 1st - Wow! as Pierre Houde would say. After every crappy, a_ _ kissing reporter in this town picked them out of the playoffs. Then they ripped them to shreads when they won the conference because hey, they can never be wrong. And now they rip them because they're losing to the best team in the conference. I say fire all the media and replace them with objective reporters who studied at a university and who know how to report. Where did Dave Morissette, Michel Bergeron, Pierre Pagé, Jean Perron, Michel Langevin & PJ Stock ( just because they give you a piece of paper doesn't mean you learnt anything) study? Loser U - Bergeron -never won anything in his life, Morissette - nice guy, crappy journalist, Pierre Pagé - Imbecile, Perron -Incompetent, Langevin - the worst radio guy in the history of the world!

BulldogFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 10:16 PM
timbitca

Quote:
You mean besides letting 2 allstar dmen walk without getting a thing in return, failing to fix the blueline, trading away Huet and not getting a veteran, Jinnima, Hamrlik for 6million and firing his coach he praised the week before all while watching his franchise goalie fall apart and allowing 11 FA's to be up this season?

My views may not be shared by many here, but I view as positives getting rid of Souray and Ribeiro.

He also brought in Lang, Tanguay, Kovalev. It's not all bad, though some of you sure try and make it out to be.

Old
04-19-2009, 10:19 PM
timbitca

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulldogFever View Post

You guys are soft, nobody ripped me. The goal is be careful for what you wish for it might come true. Remember the ineptitude of the Reggie Houle era, not only did we suck but we had nobody in the minors! And now everyone wants to go back to those days because we can't challenge for the Cup. Before last year we finished 7th or 8th for the last few years. Then everyone has a career year at the same time and we finish 1st - Wow! as Pierre Houde would say. After every crappy, a_ _ kissing reporter in this town picked them out of the playoffs. Then they ripped them to shreads when they won the conference because hey, they can never be wrong. And now they rip them because they're losing to the best team in the conference. I say fire all the media and replace them with objective reporters who studied at a university and who know how to report. Where did Dave Morissette, Michel Bergeron, Pierre Pagé, Jean Perron, Michel Langevin & PJ Stock ( just because they give you a piece of paper doesn't mean you learnt anything) study? Loser U - Bergeron -never won anything in his life, Morissette - nice guy, crappy journalist, Pierre Pagé - Imbecile, Perron -Incompetent, Langevin - the worst radio guy in the history of the world!
PJ Stock actually studied a year at St FX, though I'm sure a lot of the people proudly wearing the X ring would rather not be reminded of that. Though i'll leave myself the pleasure of doing so should they not want to hear it.

Old
04-19-2009, 10:23 PM
Mike8

Quote:

Two All-Star defensemen: Souray wasn't worth the cash, and still isn't now. The team skyrocketed in the standings after Souray left. Streit wanted a guarantee that he'd be a defenseman, and that didn't fit in the plans of the club. He was a casualty in Montreal; not identified as a core player. How he's done in a poor organization has no bearing here as he wouldn't have the same role to flourish in Montreal.

And, frankly, I seem to recall you being hard on Streit for the duration of his time here.

Hamrlik's been fine for Montreal. He's struggled the second half of the season, but generally been a solid contributor and more in tune with a puck possession, quicker transition team. Moreso than guys like Rivet and Souray, anyhow.

Gainey sticking by Carbonneau for the week prior to firing him has zero bearing on his abilities as a general manager.

The Ribeiro deal was undeniably bad. No idea how/why anyone would justify it. It was unjustifiable at the time.

Letting his franchise goaltender fall a part: how did he do this, and what would you have done instead?

Having 11 impending FAs: so what? If the team's incapable of keeping all of those players in the summer, then criticize him. Until then, I see no point; we have no idea what discussions, if any, have taken place nor what the specific plan is. Perhaps the plan was to see where the current core was going. If it was capable of winning, then this would be the year. If it wasn't, then it would be time to identify a new core and pay the current players according to their anticipated roles in the club moving forward.

Risky plan, perhaps, but if we're looking at revamping the core and identify roles properly, then it's the right move.

On the other hand, we can credit Gainey's reign for:

- having a franchise goaltender (in order to destroy him, that is);

- having the All-Star Streit to let go of;

- winning a Conference title;

- having drafted, and solidifying the development of a significant core of youth;

- re-gaining some respect for the franchise, both externally and internally;

- acquiring some high-end talented players like Kovalev, keeping talented players like Markov, and properly developing others like Komisarek to have a solid foundation;

- acquiring significant secondary scoring/depth to the tune of Schneider, Tanguay and Lang ... the complete disappearances/injuries to Lang, Markov, Kostitsyn brothers, Plekanec, Higgins has nullified the benefits of these acquisitions, but the reasoning and logic was sound.

In the end, Gainey's done some very good things, and done some very questionable things. I tend to believe he's an intelligent man who has a sound hockey mind, and I lean toward believing the reputation that he's a highly respected and respectful individual. I have no problems with him as GM of the club. I do not believe he's the best in the business, but I'd be hard pressed to list 10 GMs that are far and away better than him.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 10:28 PM
timbitca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
In the end, Gainey's done some very good things, and done some very questionable things. I tend to believe he's an intelligent man who has a sound hockey mind, and I lean toward believing the reputation that he's a highly respected and respectful individual. I have no problems with him as GM of the club. I do not believe he's the best in the business, but I'd be hard pressed to list 10 GMs that are far and away better than him.
...and even fewer that would be available this summer.

Old
04-19-2009, 10:30 PM
peperebougon*

Penelope McQuade

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 10:49 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Two All-Star defensemen: Souray wasn't worth the cash, and still isn't now. The team skyrocketed in the standings after Souray left. Streit wanted a guarantee that he'd be a defenseman, and that didn't fit in the plans of the club. He was a casualty in Montreal; not identified as a core player. How he's done in a poor organization has no bearing here as he wouldn't have the same role to flourish in Montreal.

And, frankly, I seem to recall you being hard on Streit for the duration of his time here.
My problem with letting both go, was not getting something in return. And yes, I wasn't a huge Streit fan (great memory btw) but I did enjoy his PP production.

Quote:
Hamrlik's been fine for Montreal. He's struggled the second half of the season, but generally been a solid contributor and more in tune with a puck possession, quicker transition team. Moreso than guys like Rivet and Souray, anyhow.
I'm shocked you say he's been fine. He is an incredible liability on the ice and ties up a huge part of the salary that left BG with no room to play with on the back end. He signed a player nobody would dare take in a trade and who's numbers are years behind him.
Quote:
Gainey sticking by Carbonneau for the week prior to firing him has zero bearing on his abilities as a general manager.
It does reflect his character though, and thats something this team needs from the top through the bottom. BG went from praising a man to canning him in a matter of days. So either he's a liar, or has no idea what he's doing or what he wants.

Quote:
Letting his franchise goaltender fall a part: how did he do this, and what would you have done instead?
I would have never let him have Price move forward without a veteran, it made no sense at all. Trade Huet, fine, bring back someone to help this kid along. Get some defense to help Price learn the game, some leadership on the blueline.
Quote:
Having 11 impending FAs: so what? If the team's incapable of keeping all of those players in the summer, then criticize him. Until then, I see no point; we have no idea what discussions, if any, have taken place nor what the specific plan is. Perhaps the plan was to see where the current core was going. If it was capable of winning, then this would be the year. If it wasn't, then it would be time to identify a new core and pay the current players according to their anticipated roles in the club moving forward.
Wait and see how many are returning after this disaster of a year and after BG has built a club with no direction. If I'm wrong, I'll eat my words, but I don't see many wanting to sign here in the atmosphere the Bob has created.

Quote:
When he stood still at the deadline, I knew all I needed to know about the future of BG. I hope he's given the boot out of town, I could care less if Timmins joins him.

However, I'll save my Timmins hate for another day.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 11:00 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Man, the last thing this team needs is a new GM. I sincerely hope that Bob comes back next year.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 11:03 PM
Namso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Tuukka Rask will be a great one we already know that from what we have seen of him here and there.
actually you have no idea how Rask will turn out. Yann Danis had some pretty good games at the beginning of his career also. Everyone thought Price was set, now he's shaky.

Goalies are a fickle bunch. Hard to predict any of them.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 11:26 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
It does reflect his character though, and thats something this team needs from the top through the bottom. BG went from praising a man to canning him in a matter of days. So either he's a liar, or has no idea what he's doing or what he wants.
In a matter of days??

Gainey said that Carbonneau was his best acquisition in mid-January at the half-way mark of the season. At that time, we were on pace to close to 110 points for the season. This was before our post-All Star game swoon and our horrendous month of February. Gainey fired Carbonneau on March 9th...almost two months later. At the trade deadline (March 3rd), Gainey put Carbo on notice and said that the coaching had to improve. It didn't.

It's funny how you spin doctor the truth just to support your blasphemy. You can criticize Gainey as a GM all you want but don't ever question this man's character. He's a stand up guy who had done everything with class and character. He was one of the greatest warriors to ever dress for the Habs and is respected through hockey. With your spin doctoring, I'd say you're the one who's lying and lacking in character.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 01:11 AM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

BG was perfect for "rebuilding" the frnachise from scratch , he can take an enormous amount of pressure and is a commanding presence. It might be time for him to move on and I wouldn't be surprised if someone else reaped the glory of all that he has done for this team.

To think, when he became GM we didn't even have a farm team. Now we have a boatload of good prospects and two championships from our farm teams. It's a long road and fans here are anything but patient. The next GM will have big shoes to fill. You'll see, many will regret the day we let Bob go.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 01:11 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
Scotty Bowman

end thread/
arrggg I was about to post it. I know he wants to work with his son in Chicago. Still...I wonder if he would accept the Montreal job if given carte blanche. That's what he wanted from Toronto.

Ideal for Montreal would be Bowman for GM, Pat Burns for coach.

Another take would be Serge Savard buying the Habs. He would also act as President. He would hire a young GM with the mission to shake things up like Lacroix did in Quebec/Colorado, do a blockbuster deal. And that guy would be Pat Brisson. He's a bright guy and he's friend with so many top stars, he would lure them here. His assistant GM and Director of players developement would be Jacques Lemaire. Patrick Roy would be assistant coach handling the goalies and defensemen. I have no idea who would be coach, though.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 01:15 AM
Bobby Clark
Spicy Sausage

If the Sharks choke again and Doug Wilson gets fired i would go and get him.

Bobby Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 06:12 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB11 View Post
A new GM is the LAST thing on my wish list. Blame him all you want, Gainey's done a good job with the Habs and will comtinue to do so next season.
Agreed, no need for someone new when you have a sold GM already.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 06:32 AM
kent_carlson

Quote:

Perron has a Master degree and if you don't take all this too seriously, he is funny like no others.

It's just me but I don't think that journalists coming from any University would do better. Except for a certain number of facts, the rest is speculation, opinions and entertainment.

kent_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 06:41 AM
kent_carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
arrggg I was about to post it. I know he wants to work with his son in Chicago. Still...I wonder if he would accept the Montreal job if given carte blanche. That's what he wanted from Toronto.

Ideal for Montreal would be Bowman for GM, Pat Burns for coach.

Another take would be Serge Savard buying the Habs. He would also act as President. He would hire a young GM with the mission to shake things up like Lacroix did in Quebec/Colorado, do a blockbuster deal. And that guy would be Pat Brisson. He's a bright guy and he's friend with so many top stars, he would lure them here. His assistant GM and Director of players developement would be Jacques Lemaire. Patrick Roy would be assistant coach handling the goalies and defensemen. I have no idea who would be coach, though.
Bowman was not a success story when he was the DG in Buffalo. Boston has a good one and the guy came from nowhere (ok, Ottawa). I would be very happy with Lemaire as a Director of players development, but he is not getting younger.

kent_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 09:04 AM
davenash

A couple of months ago I predicted that Trevor Timmins would get the job. I stand by my prediction even though I'd like to see Gainey stay.

davenash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 09:33 AM
superstar436

Quote:
On the top of everybody's wish list is a new GM, so who do you think is want to have to deal with all of the ÙFA's, the media, the fans?

Dougie Risebrough
Doug McClean
Jay Feaster
Trevor Timmins
Cliff(ZZZZZ) Fletcher
John Ferguson Jr. (Don't laugh)
John Muckler(Stop laughing)
Pierre Gauthier (At least he can talk to the media)
Doug Armstrong (Dallas's leftovers)
Mike O'Connell (At least he got rid of Thornton)

As you can see not much to choose from. Jay Feaster is probably the best - but he doesn't speak French and he didn't play for the Canadiens. Ditto for Timmins

Candidates from left field
Julien Brisebois (Colorado's ex-gm, do I have to say more)
Ken Dryden ( why take a job where you have to actually work)
Serge Savard ( look at the answer above)

So we are up that famous creek that Thomas Crapper made famous without a paddle
You forgot Steve Yzerman

I will take my chances on him.

superstar436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 09:38 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komi#1 View Post
Patrick Roy, Pat Brisson, François Giguere...
I really hope you are not serious.That guy is totally lost and if we would become the Habs GM it will be the peanut era all over again

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 10:26 AM
terreur

vCash: 50
i understand that many people are frustrated from this season and all... But if you fire your GM you need to find someone more suited than him for the job. Personally... I can't see anybody better than Gainey to be Montreal's GM...

I will say it now: I want Gainey to stay, and has someone said before in another post we will all regret his departure if we let him go.

terreur is offline   Reply With Quote