HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason priority #1?

Old
04-19-2009, 12:33 PM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Whe the hell would he wanna sign here,he would pick Toronto over Montreal IMO.Seriously I'm not joking but he has a better chance at winning something if he stays in Florida with all the great young talent they have then if he comes and sign here.We have a lot of problems and signing a player here and there ain't gonna work IMO,lot's of cleaning up to do
I don't necessarily agree. I simply don't buy the idea that we need a huge clean up. This is a better team on paper than the one that finished 1st last year.
The Kostitsyn have had a bad second season, okay it happens.
Plekanec is the biggest disappointment. Not only because he didn't produce, but because he's a center. If Lang was healthy, maybe he'd help his linemates more. I feel like Plek brings whomever is on his line down.

We're seeing how much of an asset Koivu and Kovalev can be in the POs. I think we should resign them but as support players, they shouldn't be the ones carrying this team.
We need to bring in a top line center and a gritty one. I think him along side A.Kost and possibly S.Kost(or a 1st line winger via UFA or even Lats) could be a great first line.
Having, let's say, Koivu/Tanguay/Kovalev as our 2nd line would be amazing.

Now, how are we going to get that big center, I don't know but we need one ASAP and not a 35yo+ one.

I would resign Koivu/Kovalev/Tanguay/Komi, I'd try going after a big D, if we can't than I'd resign Schneider at a much cheaper salary.

I don't think our team is that bad seriously. We were unfortunate to have to struggle with injuries all year, even in the POs.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 07:05 PM
bjac

I'm hoping they can shake things up a bit. They need a big #1-2 center, and a big #2-4 defenseman. Hopefully they keep the majority of the core intact, but to get these improvements one of Higgins, Pleks, or Kosty brothers will ahve to go.

I know people who want to completely blow up the team and start a rebuild... seems like a bit of a knee-jerk reaction to a horifically strange season.

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 07:13 PM
mlandry

I like Gainey but seriously, I think his way of doing things didn't work. In an interview with RDS one of the things he said after the 2nd game was that the players should listen to the coach more... that's never a good sign when a GM says that of his players.

We have the opportunity for a complete rebuild this summer that wouldn't take us 5 years to pull off. If Gainey can pull it off, so be it, but I just don't see him doing it.

Since we are possibly getting a new owner, changing the upper levels of management might be what we need (as much as I wish we won't change owners, because we have a great one).

I wish we could keep Gainey as an offensemen D-coach but as a GM I don't think he's done enough to warrant staying.

Don't get me wrong, I know a complete rebuild is not a fun solution, but almost all of our good players are getting old. We also had a lot of injuries this season, which didn't help. However, even without injuries I don't think we could of went much farther than the 2nd round.

I would keep Lang and Koivu because good centers are hard to find, maybe Kovalev for another year but depends on the price. Tanguay is good and not too old yet so getting him long term would be nice. The rest though, I wouldn't mind seeing big chances (mostly on D and the 2nd line, possibly a veteran goalie).

mlandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 07:23 PM
Souvenirs

1)A competent coach
2)A number one center
3)A top 4 defenceman
4)A gritty scoring winger
5)A veteran back-up
6)Some changes in the coaching staff (Jarvis and Melançon be-gone.)

Souvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 07:23 PM
bjac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlandry View Post
I like Gainey but seriously, I think his way of doing things didn't work. In an interview with RDS one of the things he said after the 2nd game was that the players should listen to the coach more... that's never a good sign when a GM says that of his players.

We have the opportunity for a complete rebuild this summer that wouldn't take us 5 years to pull off. If Gainey can pull it off, so be it, but I just don't see him doing it.

Since we are possibly getting a new owner, changing the upper levels of management might be what we need (as much as I wish we won't change owners, because we have a great one).

I wish we could keep Gainey as an offensemen D-coach but as a GM I don't think he's done enough to warrant staying.

Don't get me wrong, I know a complete rebuild is not a fun solution, but almost all of our good players are getting old. We also had a lot of injuries this season, which didn't help. However, even without injuries I don't think we could of went much farther than the 2nd round.

I would keep Lang and Koivu because good centers are hard to find, maybe Kovalev for another year but depends on the price. Tanguay is good and not too old yet so getting him long term would be nice. The rest though, I wouldn't mind seeing big chances (mostly on D and the 2nd line, possibly a veteran goalie).
A complete rebuild IMO would be the worst decision that the team could make. Its one thing to cut some of the dead weight, but to gut the team would be a terrible choice. Teams have proven that you can flip a struggling young team in less than a year, if you bring in the appropriate veterens. I just don't see how getting rid of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd year players in an off season would help this team move forward. Alot of the young guys had bad seasons, but does that mean they will never pan out? I see alot of posters on this board panicking and losing faith in the youth because of one shakey season. Who hear honestly believes that Higgins, Pleks and the Kosty brothers played anywhere close to their potential this year. They (maybe not all...) will bounce back, and if the team is gutted of its youth, it will come back to haunt us. And trading them when they are struggling simply isnt good asset management. Why would you rebuild in the middle of a rebuild? This team is one of the youngest in teh league and has made the playoffs 2 season in a row.

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 07:24 PM
mark3361

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
Habs need to get even with Boston.
For one year only, Habs should get 10 goons. They will finish last get the first overall pick and put all the Bruins in the hospital.

oops I forgot, someone should steal ALL the bruins stick so they have to forfit the game
thats awesome. I realize you are probably in bed but **** seriously. The more you talk the stupider you look

mark3361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 07:45 PM
12jf54

1. DO NOT RE-SIGN BRISEBOIS
2. Draft BPA, not necessarily a french canadian

12jf54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 08:29 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark3361 View Post
thats awesome. I realize you are probably in bed but **** seriously. The more you talk the stupider you look
Sarcasm eludes you.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 09:51 PM
Pr3Va1L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
We have many "#1 priorities"

- A real coach
- Not having 3 centermen who are 5'10. For the love of god, please stop with this. Are we destined to be the team that is small and soft down the middle for the rest of our lives? Do people realize how many problems this creates?
- This Markov situtation. We CANNOT rely on him this much. 6-17 record without him? What if he breaks his arm one time? That's it we just give up on the season? We need a TRUE #2 defenceman. Komisarek and his junior league puck skills will never be it.
- An offensive go to guy that starts playing before game 70.

This man tells the truth.

Pr3Va1L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 09:56 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Finding a new coach is obvious, but finding some quality players with a mix of grit, skills and size is our number one priority. Our defense also needs a major facelift.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 09:57 PM
otto bond

After reading most post, I gather the obvious. New everything.
The biggest change would be the owner. After that it's a GM.

Personally I like Bob. Not to many top notch GM out there and Bob is an above average GM. He has done a good job. Before this off season just after the playoff, he has to decide and coach this team from start to finish or hire a capable coach. A coach that could make his job easier. A practice freak, some one with pure passion and EXPERIENCE!
My vote, Bob stays and get a real coach.

As for those who think Tremblay would be good, I'm not to confident. He was with Jacques Lemaire but anyhow, this is boring hockey. If it would give us a cup, well I'm for it.
I like Hartley.but he to seem to be not just right.
My vote Laviolette(sp???). I always like( but really dislike) the way the canes played us. It looked very structured,well coached. Sure he has faults but who don't.

The next biggest change would be the Center job. Can we get a dominating center?please! We have wingers coming out left and right. I cancel my vote here.
We sure need a D-man. Solid 2 way. My vote here goes for JBo but it looks like a pipe dream.

The goalie situation, well for me it's simple. Price goes in this PO and what ever happen happens. Next year Halak should be given a shot. No to trade Price and if he really want to be #1, he will have to take it away from Halak. This could be a learning experience. Just look at Ward from the cane.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 10:00 PM
goalchenyuk

a) new owner ; Savard would be the best choice
B) new GM ; Pierre Lacroix
C) new head coach ;

The next GM will have to be a genious to repare the mistakes of Gainey ; That last didn't want to resign his future free agents , thinking that he was having a contender team . When you are cup contender team , the players want to come back .

But the way the things have gone , i am not sure that Komisarek , Tanguay , Kovalev , Lang and Koivu will wish to re-sign here . What if none of them accept to re-sign ?

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 10:05 PM
habfaninvictoria

BGL assemble this team and he'll shoulder any blame, but I don't want to see him go. I know I'm in the minority but I'd like him to coach next year.

We don't have to start at square one.

Trade.

Pleks
AKost
SKost

He may have all the evidence he needs now that Pleks will never be a playoff performer here. I don't want to see AKost go but I think he, Pleks and SKost could be just the bait we need to:
A/ Move up in the draft to get a bonafide prospect.
B/ Trade bait for a big fish.

Re-sign

Koivu
Komi
Higgins
Kovalev
Tanguay

We have good D prospects but need short term solutions. Komi will probably resign. I think Kovy and Higgins should be here. They're quality players who don't disappear in the playoffs.

Promote

Chipchurra for christ sakes he's been in the AHL too long.

This leaves us with

Forwards

Tanguay-Koivu-Kovalev
Higgins-Lappy-Lats
Kosto-Metro-D'Ago
MaxPac-Chips-Stewart

Defense

Markov-Komi
Hammer-O'Byrne
Weber-Subban??

I don't know our AHL system that well and I'm sure I'll be enlightened as to who else can help.

From this list we have a couple glaring holes to fill. I'd like to see BG aggressively go after another top 4 dman. We also need 1 high profile free agent signing. I don't know whether LeCavalier is the answer but it's time we had some one of that ilk here. I'd love Kovalchuk but who wouldn't.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 10:18 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
BGL assemble this team and he'll shoulder any blame, but I don't want to see him go. I know I'm in the minority but I'd like him to coach next year.

We don't have to start at square one.

Trade.

Pleks
AKost
SKost

He may have all the evidence he needs now that Pleks will never be a playoff performer here. I don't want to see AKost go but I think he, Pleks and SKost could be just the bait we need to:
A/ Move up in the draft to get a bonafide prospect.
B/ Trade bait for a big fish.

Re-sign

Koivu
Komi
Higgins
Kovalev
Tanguay

We have good D prospects but need short term solutions. Komi will probably resign. I think Kovy and Higgins should be here. They're quality players who don't disappear in the playoffs.

Promote

Chipchurra for christ sakes he's been in the AHL too long.

This leaves us with

Forwards

Tanguay-Koivu-Kovalev
Higgins-Lappy-Lats
Kosto-Metro-D'Ago
MaxPac-Chips-Stewart

Defense

Markov-Komi
Hammer-O'Byrne
Weber-Subban??

I don't know our AHL system that well and I'm sure I'll be enlightened as to who else can help.

From this list we have a couple glaring holes to fill. I'd like to see BG aggressively go after another top 4 dman. We also need 1 high profile free agent signing. I don't know whether LeCavalier is the answer but it's time we had some one of that ilk here. I'd love Kovalchuk but who wouldn't.
With those 4 centers, it seem like you are taking step backs rather then forward.
Chipper could get a shot and fight it with Metropolit. Lappy looks like the only sure thing for next year. Look like a top 3 center. Saku should be 2nd most night.

Old
04-19-2009, 10:24 PM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
With those 4 centers, it seem like you are taking step backs rather then forward.
Chipper could get a shot and fight it with Metropolit. Lappy looks like the only sure thing for next year. Look like a top 3 center. Saku should be 2nd most night.
Wasn't really putting it out there as line combos, just what we've got. Saku is still valuable, maybe not as a first line centre. Metro is small but I like him on the fourth line. Chipchura I'd like to see moved to the wing if we can get a decent centreman, but regardless he deserves a chance.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 11:52 PM
mlandry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjac View Post
A complete rebuild IMO would be the worst decision that the team could make. Its one thing to cut some of the dead weight, but to gut the team would be a terrible choice. Teams have proven that you can flip a struggling young team in less than a year, if you bring in the appropriate veterens. I just don't see how getting rid of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd year players in an off season would help this team move forward. Alot of the young guys had bad seasons, but does that mean they will never pan out? I see alot of posters on this board panicking and losing faith in the youth because of one shakey season. Who hear honestly believes that Higgins, Pleks and the Kosty brothers played anywhere close to their potential this year. They (maybe not all...) will bounce back, and if the team is gutted of its youth, it will come back to haunt us. And trading them when they are struggling simply isnt good asset management. Why would you rebuild in the middle of a rebuild? This team is one of the youngest in teh league and has made the playoffs 2 season in a row.
As for our young players, I would resign Higgins and AKost is already signed. The 3rd line is fine, although they can be inconsistant as they have showed in these playoffs (they are young though).

Plekanec showed nothing positive save for 1 or 2 games this year, and it's not like he has been benched or put on the 4th line. SKost, I don't know about him. He still has time, but I don't know if I want him on the team next year. Hamilton, even if he doesn't want to be there, would be better.

I like Halak a lot but our management refuses to use him over Price, so there's nothing to gain by keeping him.

Basicly, for next year only, I would like :

Tanguay-Koivu-Kovalev
AKost-Lang (if he can be healthy, otherwise ?)-?/D'Agostini/Pacioretty
Lats-Lapierre-Kostopolous/Higgins)
Stewart-Metro (Or Chipchura)-?

Markov-?
Schneider-Gorges (If Schneider is back, and if Gorges can do better next year)
Dandenault-?/Weber (Dandenault is not the best either, but we can only get so many players in one summer)
Bouillon

Price
Denis (he is a vet, and he's the definition of back-up IMO) or another veteran backup.

Brisebois, do I really need to say it?
Komisarek depends on the price. I have a feeling he will be wanting a lot and that several teams would be willing to offer it.
Bouillon, I've never been a huge fan of, but he can be 7th I guess.

The problem is that if we keep a team like that (Maxwell, D'Ago, Pacioretty), we have too many young guys again. We need the stability of veterans, hence the question marks. One of our main problems is inconsistency. I want to keep that 1st line together for a year and let them work out their kinks by themselves if they go through a rough patch instead of splitting them up. We need a better 2nd line which Lang could help out, if he doesn't retire. Metropolit might very well change city after this year (althought I don't remember his contract).

We don't need that many changes on offense because our younger guys are doing a decent job of making their spot in the NHL. Defense is what scares me.

There's a lot of holes to fix. And this line-up takes for granted that the 1st line would produce.

mlandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 11:54 PM
Hab oiler fan88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post

Dustin Penner - A big body that goes to the front of the net. He's overpaid and not as physical as you'd think for someone who's 6'4, but if we send Laraque + something else (maybe that) for him he'll help.
I'm sure most Oiler Fans would like to see that trade, get rid of Penner and bring back a fan favoirte. Not sure if its a good deal for the Habs though, I mean this guy extremely overpaid for the amount of work and effort he puts in.

Hab oiler fan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 11:54 PM

Toughness

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 11:57 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Why the hell would he wanna sign here,he would pick Toronto over Montreal IMO.Seriously I'm not joking but he has a better chance at winning something if he stays in Florida with all the great young talent they have then if he comes and sign here.We have a lot of problems and signing a player here and there ain't gonna work IMO,lot's of cleaning up to do
By overpaying him?

If Gainey is ready to give Briere 7-8 millions a year, I hope he can 8-9M$ for Bouwmeester. Im not saying its be possible but just saying that if i am the GM and have a priority list for this summer, my first priority would be Bouwmeester.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 12:00 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Bouwmesster

and then a big center via a trade.
Agreed.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 12:31 AM
snakeye

We need a defenseman like Bouwmeester more than grit and size imo. Just imagine....

Markov - Gorges
Bouwmeester - Schneider
Hamrlik - Weber

I wouldn't mind having the exact same forwards as this season with a D like that.

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 12:58 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Personaly I don't ever care if we get a star or not. I just want this team to get bigger and grittier. I want guys with an edge from the lowest D on the totem pole to the top offensive forward.

This probably disqualify the magority of our players:

Gorges has no edge, no size
Bouillon has edge but no size
O'Byrne has no killer instinct, can't play hockey
Komisarek has size, can hit but is afraid to fight
Lats has size but no mean streak
Lapierre is not the biggest guy
Kostopoulos works hard but has no edge and cannot wins fights
Laraque has size but no edge and is bad at hockey
Saku is small
Kovy is old and not a team player
Kostitsyn Bros and Plekanec are...the opposite of what i'm looking for
Schneider no size and grit
Markov is an exception*
Price is tall yet not that big and has a softy emo personality
Halak is small(not sure about his character)
Higgins can be physical but no edge and not big
Metropolit is a good worker yet no size. Can work in traffic, though
D'Agostini and Pacioretti have good size, good speed but no mean streak(that can be improved, though)*
Dandenault is a good worker, decent size but old, no mean streaks and talentless
Brisebois lol
Weber small, may not be ready for the NHL
Tanguay and Lang have average size, soft

So you can imagine the amount of work it would take to refashion this group into a contender.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 01:18 AM
Stradale

I agree with everyone saying we need more grit and size.

Im looking at our roster and there's only Komisarek that I would be ''scared'' to play against. It almost like Komisarek doesnt belong here since hes the only guy who actually gets angry on the ice, the other one are doing the pushing after the whistle but none of them actually has that mean streak, that is "scary". Souray has that but he costs too much. We need guys like that.

Thats why I envy the Flyers and Ducks. Doesnt have much talent, but their players are big and plays big.

I still dont understand how could the Flyers end up being very last in the nhl with 58 pts two years ago and now have a line up with Richards, Carter, Briere, Gagne, Giroux and Timonen. With secondary player like Lupul, Hartnell and Knuble who has 25-30-27 goals respectively.

You cannot fail with players like that.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 08:48 AM
otto bond

It's obvious that a coach and a few new faces in key positions could change thing around.
The points total this year was OK and just enough to get in. I believe that if Bob would be given more time being the bench, he would get this team playing harder and more consistent. I already see it. He has somewhat fixed Komi, Hamer, Kovy and a few other like Higgins, Laraque. He is working on Price, Plekanec, A.K and S.K. IMO.
We, Habs fans, have seen enough rookie coach's, someone trying to prove himself and definitely an ex player who never coach a practice before.
M I wrong to think that Laviolette would be a solid addition?

Old
04-20-2009, 09:28 AM
Raskolnikov76

Find wives for our players so they would stop partying all the time.

Raskolnikov76 is offline   Reply With Quote