HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Naslund's veteran leadership huge for Rangers

Old
04-19-2009, 11:57 PM
Macke*

vCash: 500
Naslund's veteran leadership huge for Rangers

Torts with some praise for Naslund, not so much for Z.

Quote:
Markus Naslund was talking about the postseason contributions of Rangers defensemen Wade Redden and Michal Rozsival, but he could have been speaking about himself.

"It's great to see the older guys who've been there try to lead by example," the 35-year-old left wing said Sunday on the eve of Game 3 of the first-round series against the Washington Capitals.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...,5377403.story

Last edited by Melrose_Jr.: 04-20-2009 at 12:25 PM. Reason: repost of entire article, no link provided
Macke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 12:03 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Naslunds been a standout these past two games.... ive been tired of his effort during the season but hes looked like a real impact player in these past two games.....if thats his deal so be it.... go get you name on that cup Nazzzy .....

04-20-2009, 12:07 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I love Torts

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 12:12 AM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Naslund was crap in game 1. Yeah he was skating pretty hard, but some of the penalties he took were atrocious.

Game 2 was a completely different story.

Maybe he's Jagr and just saved himself for the playoffs?

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 12:20 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers3018 View Post
Naslund was crap in game 1. Yeah he was skating pretty hard, but some of the penalties he took were atrocious.

Game 2 was a completely different story.

Maybe he's Jagr and just saved himself for the playoffs?
Game 1 he wasn't crap, just got too many penalties.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 12:21 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

He's certainly stepped it up...

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 12:24 AM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Naslund has played much better. That pass he made to Callahan was perfect. He's also been sneaky good on the forecheck.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 12:33 AM
TheZherdev

Man if Torts can just get Zherdev going, how great looking forward it would be. I just dont get it. Theres no urgency to his game. I thought maybe he was just getting a little bored in the regular season, but that same lack of effort is evident so far in the playoffs.

What id like to see more from him, is to start taking more risks in the offensive zone. He has the skill to try some creative things there. But he seems to be getting rid of the puck too quickly. I want to see the same Zherdev we saw the first 25 games or so. Something is just off about him.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 12:42 AM
peanutbuttacallytime
#therightway

nazzy was fantastic at the end of the 3rd period game 2

peanutbuttacallytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 12:44 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

I love to admit I thought Nazy would fail under Torts..but instead, he's responded 10x better then I thought..keep it up! Thank you Torts for putting him in his place early on....

Zherdev on the other hand....very disappointed.

I was Zherdev's #1 fan from the start...but if he not going to respond to the leader of this team (Torts)..then I dont want him around. Wake up already Zherdev and do your thing, if not, i could care less if he is around next year. He's really the only player that has played worse under Torts.

Torts is long term...the players are not (well cept a few with unmovable contracts....)

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 01:02 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Torts is long term...the players are not (well cept a few with unmovable contracts....)
Luckily most of THEM have responded well to the coaching change...

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 01:07 AM
gravytrain6t

He's different then Jagr. Jagr was afraid too even attempt a shootout goal. The European with the greatest offensive numbers wanted no part of the shoot out. Naslund did get 24 goals and a few key shoot out goals.

Naslund's penalties were bad yes. But at least he got a goal. Just a completely different player then Jagr (I'm saying this on my own btw). Jagr could own a game and take it over. Naslund seems like more of an opportune guy. Pass the puck to him where he's in shooting position and he's got a great wrist shot.

Jagr seems like he needs to have a bunch of his Czech mates around him so he feels more comfortable. I can definitely see him coming back to the NHL next year.

I always wondered that in general. If it's best to build a team around a bunch of the same ethnic players. Detroit does it with all of those Swedes. The Rangers did it with the Czech guy's. We had up too 7 at one point playing in the game. The Caps have a Russian thing going on over there. Ovechkin, Semin, Kozlov, Fedorov, and Varlamov. I remember a year or two back, Dallas was playing Detroit and the commentator said it was like the Fin's versus the Swede's.

IMO, I think it does help, in certain cases. At one time we didn't make the playoffs but we had that one other Czech line that was our best line, and included Nedved, Hlavac, and Dvorak. And if you look at the Rangers international prospects who are playing over seas, most of them are either Czech or Slovakian. Nothing wrong with that. I guess some teams scout certain areas more often.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 01:07 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Z is a curious dude.... always has run hot and cold and I don't think hes given any interviews... doesnt do much to make a case for himself.

Is he a Ranger or isnt he?

Old
04-20-2009, 01:09 AM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZherdev View Post
Man if Torts can just get Zherdev going, how great looking forward it would be. I just dont get it. Theres no urgency to his game. I thought maybe he was just getting a little bored in the regular season, but that same lack of effort is evident so far in the playoffs.

What id like to see more from him, is to start taking more risks in the offensive zone. He has the skill to try some creative things there. But he seems to be getting rid of the puck too quickly. I want to see the same Zherdev we saw the first 25 games or so. Something is just off about him.
The strange thing is that you would think that Tort's approach and Tort's system would be more conducive to an offensive player like Zherdev and that he would actually be more willing to take risks than he was under Renney. I agree though, he has been strangely passive lately and is playing it a little too safe in the offensive zone.

Old
04-20-2009, 01:11 AM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
Z is a curious dude.... always has run hot and cold and I don't think hes given any interviews... doesnt do much to make a case for himself.

Is he a Ranger or isnt he?
I think squishy posted an interview he did with the Russian media after game one in the "Paging Zherdev" thread.

He did do that one awkward interview with Fischler earlier in the season after he scored a shootout winner.

Old
04-20-2009, 01:13 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Must have missed it.... thanks

Old
04-20-2009, 01:36 AM
Unk

Not to turn this into a Zherdev thread, but I wouldn't give up on just yet. I do wonder if a playoff run with the vets leading by example might just over time sink into his head. He's had, what, less than 30 games under Torts?

If he's still like this a year from now then it's time for him to go.

Anyway, love this time of year when the high priced free agents seem to not look so bad.

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 01:48 AM
TheZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyZ View Post
The strange thing is that you would think that Tort's approach and Tort's system would be more conducive to an offensive player like Zherdev and that he would actually be more willing to take risks than he was under Renney. I agree though, he has been strangely passive lately and is playing it a little too safe in the offensive zone.
I know its a head scratcher. If i were Torterella I would give the kid unlimited freedom in the offensive zone. I mean who wouldnt love the opportunity to be given the same type of green light that Ovechkin gets? I mean how is it that the most talented player on the team is playing it the safest out of all of them. Im telling you something isnt right.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 11:51 AM
Chris 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
He's different then Jagr. Jagr was afraid too even attempt a shootout goal. The European with the greatest offensive numbers wanted no part of the shoot out. Naslund did get 24 goals and a few key shoot out goals.
Why would we have wanted Jagr to take? When he did he more often than not missed. He'd have been called an attention seeking glory hunter if he'd kept being in shootouts cos by the end at least he was missing.

Chris 84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 12:11 PM
ogie

Naslund's has definitely improved in the past two weeks and it is great to see. i know a lot of people around here like to hate on him, but i think under Torts he will change a lot of peoples minds.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 12:19 PM
94now

Dubi's line got special attention in game 2 because of Dubinski's killer goal in game 1. They practically shut them (including Z) down. It will be different tonight when Torts will be in charge of who is playing against whom. I am sure we will see dominant 3rd line as it will play against Nylander line instead of Fedorov.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 12:26 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Please do not repost entire arcticles. You MUST provide links.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 06:10 PM
shoothepuck

Naslund is performing better these last few games, and it's good to see him and some of the other vets finally start to step it up. It's the time of the season that they need to earn their pay

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote