HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thank you Mediots!!!

Old
04-19-2009, 10:17 PM
Newhabfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1 View Post
This is just a little something I'd like to show to everyone who thinks the Montreal media is horrible:

And yet the Yankees have signed 3 major free agents this summer: Mark Texeira, A.J. Burnett and C.C. Sabathia. Come on guys this topic is being discussed over and over again. Yes there's pressure in Montreal. But there's pressure on every other major sports franchise in the world. It's not the end of the world. The media isn't the only responsible for all of the teams' problems.
The Yankees pay for these three about 65 millions per year. There are four teams in the MLB that have lower total payrolls. Of course they are going to sing them.

Imagine now that there would be a cap like in hockey - do you think they would still manage to sign all those stars ?

Sure - the media is not the main reason UFAs do not want to sign. But it is one reason. And there are at least other three well known:winter, taxes and kids schools.

On the other side I dare you people to give me one single realistic good reason for a major UFA to want to sign with Montreal instead of another similar team. One.

And don't go "great place to be when you are winning" - cause it's not.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 10:18 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:

And yet the Yankees have signed 3 major free agents this summer: Mark Texeira, A.J. Burnett and C.C. Sabathia.
Come on now! You know the circumstances are completely different. The Yankees payroll is about 50% higher than the next highest payroll in MLB and that doesn't even factor the luxury tax dollars that the Yankees pay. There is a salary cap in hockey.

Weak argument.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 10:31 PM
Namso

Its so sad that Montreal has become such a no-go city for free agents. Makes BG's job that much harder bc UFAs are a great way of signing superstars without giving anything up.

Man, i'm so depressed...if habs lose tmrw ugh....

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 10:46 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape Clutch View Post
I'm sorry your the one who is being Ignorant

A Hockey Player is an entertainer. He was able to hone his skills thanks to the dedication of himself, parents, coaches and make it to such a level that he will now be remunerated for the amount of money the owner of the team (who makes money off of us fans)he plays for, deems to be equal to his market value (Cash he brings in, either by being extremely popular or because his on ice performances allow the team to grow in popularity and therefore make more money)

Wether or not he is a hard worker is besides the point. The entertainer (male in our case) has a right to a degree of privacy. His wife may not want to be bothered with a media ***** storm. His kids may not want to be dragged into it or be called "son of a junkie" If it so happens that his parent the entertainer is indulging himself with "stimulants". Noted by you should be that this is a Private Medical matter up and until the Police press charges and it becomes a public record. At this time the discussion of the player's private habits is acceptable having entered public domain (through Authoritative channels)

Now last but not least the Entertainer is NOT I repeat NOT a public servant. He is not here to handle things which are more important to your well being and life such as Taxes, Health Care, and the way they spend the money they take from you (If only the Mediots cared more about this) Therefore it is none of YOUR Business whether or not he partied late last night, or was seen walking out of an abortion clinic etc.

The Entertainer is a human being, all human beings have a right to have their private life respected and not invaded.

P.S. The notion that this would be the Fans fault for them invading player's private life is so ridiculous it makes one's brain cramp up jam. These radio and tv stations have these shows because they have the market. Yes fans are crazy about the team. If they want to talk about the player's private life, do a story on them. When's the last time throughout the year any of these shows did a story on every player on the roster, where they came from, how they got there etc? Fans would also be well served learning about J T Wyman, Ryan McDonagh, Olivier Fortier and the list goes on, players that may one day suit up for the Canadiens. Or they could be looking into this year's draft and the potential players that Montreal could draft. There are many other subjects that they could cover. It is their job to do so. They are professional Journalist

Please do not blame their lack of Creativity, Professionalism and Propriety on our (the fans) love of the Montreal Canadiens.
I did say in an earlier post that I hate how some journalists are working, mostly trying to entertain more than inform. So on that point we agree. But then, sure there was some instances where journalists went too far, Koivu and Demers in the hospital, Theodore in front of his home, this La Presse scandal, and the whole agenda against Koivu but then, what about this privacy invasion on 97% of all the players that had the pleasure of wearing that jersey?

If for the same reasons, the medias would be the only reason why players wouldn't come here, despite the tons of money sent their way, they wouldn't play for the Yankees. But because the money is there, suddenly their privacy invasion is not that big of a problem anymore or if it is, the money and the fact that this team can always be a contender makes for it.

Do you really believe that the media exposes everybody as far as their privacy is concerned? Do you think that we actually know everything they know?

I did not approve the lack of judgment that some journalists did in the examples I gave earlier. But how naming the ones that never saw their privacy life being exposed? You'll see that the list is much longer.

As far as the numerous articles they could do, I already stated that I'm pissed off 'cause they aren't doing it. Then a guy like Mathias Brunet does it and he's great, well informed and knows his stuff.....until he talks about Kovalev and because he doesn't have a tape is not to be believed anymore, until he continues to talk about prospects and he's great again.

By the way, the blame I put on the fans is because I was responding to the posters who kept bringing the 20 journalists in the dressing room arguements, or the numerous radio shows, or TV shows or newspapers that exists in this province. It was a response to the quantity of it. Not the quality. 'Cause clearly, I kept saying hos misinformed we always are so I won't disagree with you on that point.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 10:49 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
Let's see (I can give examples for each):
- Higgins
- Kostopoulos
- Lang (during the first 2 months of the season Michel Bergeron kept claiming he was not an upgrade over Smolinski)
- Latendresse
- Price
- Halak at times
- Tanguay
- Laraque
- Brisebois
- Kovalev
- O'Byrne
- Plekanec
- Komisarek
- Dandeneault
- even Lapierre - remember when everyone in the media was bashing him for not dropping the gloves ?
- Metropolit (for not being an upgrade over Begin)
- Schneider for being old and soft

.... I guess I forgot some...
lol. seriously, how did u forget captain K?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 10:49 PM
MoonlightGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
The Yankees pay for these three about 65 millions per year. There are four teams in the MLB that have lower total payrolls. Of course they are going to sing them.

Imagine now that there would be a cap like in hockey - do you think they would still manage to sign all those stars ?

Sure - the media is not the main reason UFAs do not want to sign. But it is one reason. And there are at least other three well known:winter, taxes and kids schools.

On the other side I dare you people to give me one single realistic good reason for a major UFA to want to sign with Montreal instead of another similar team. One.

And don't go "great place to be when you are winning" - cause it's not.
I'm very much aware of the Yankees' financial situation. But a superstar like Sabathia could have gotten a lot of money elsewhere too. Players sign for the Yankees for the money, but also for the fact that they know they're going probably going to play for a contender year after year. That in my mind makes the athletes accept dealing with the huge media pressure that comes with playing for the Yankees. The Canadiens haven't been to the Conference finals since 1993. If we were winning like Detroit, everyone would want to sign here.

Anyways, the media pressure is there. It's not going away. Instead of whining about it on HFBoards like a lot of people seem to do, they should start actually writing to media outlets that have angered them if they really want things to change. At least, just don't watch what you don't like. I personnaly do not like Jean-Charles Lajoie, and when he's on I change the channel. It's easy really. I don't feel the urge to complain about him.

MoonlightGraham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 11:00 PM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I did not approve the lack of judgment that some journalists did in the examples I gave earlier. But how naming the ones that never saw their privacy life being exposed? You'll see that the list is much longer.
The main problem here IMO, is that there is a list that just shouldn't be. And that is far more able to influence players.

Garo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 11:02 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
I'm just watching the Rogers coverage of Belleville versus Brampton Game 3 and Brandon Mashinter was interviewed during the 2nd intermission and discussed his recent signing with the San Jose Sharks. He mentioned that Montreal was hard after him and stated that the media in Montreal is crazy and "can eat you up alive" so he decided on San Jose because the environment is more "low key".

Thank you Mediots!! Not only are big name UFA's steering completely clear of Montreal but now even undrafted overage Junior players are staying the hell away! Agents everywhere are telling their clients to avoid us at all costs. Even our overseas prospects are staying away.

Our brass is definitely handicapped thanks to these tabloid clowns. Good luck building a championship!

Sidenote: PK is looking good tonight....made a spectacular rush that resulted in Belleville's 5th goal....Bulls are up 5-2 with 13 minutes left in 3rd.
Not surprising.

Its not just the media though. Take a look at some of the things written in these threads. The fans are brutal with our players.

Unless you were a fan of the team to begin with, there's absolutely no reason to sign with this team unless you were to think that we had a legit shot at a cup. We'll just have to hope that there are a lot of Hab fans out there who become top prospects... otherwise we're out of luck.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 11:13 PM
OneSharpMarble

Typical excuse thread, I guess Montreal will never be able to compete so management is totally off the hook. If you need excuses like this to defend your poor excuse for a team you shouldnt be in charge in the first place.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 11:21 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
I'm very much aware of the Yankees' financial situation. But a superstar like Sabathia could have gotten a lot of money elsewhere too. Players sign for the Yankees for the money, but also for the fact that they know they're going probably going to play for a contender year after year. That in my mind makes the athletes accept dealing with the huge media pressure that comes with playing for the Yankees. The Canadiens haven't been to the Conference finals since 1993. If we were winning like Detroit, everyone would want to sign here.

Anyways, the media pressure is there. It's not going away. Instead of whining about it on HFBoards like a lot of people seem to do, they should start actually writing to media outlets that have angered them if they really want things to change. At least, just don't watch what you don't like. I personnaly do not like Jean-Charles Lajoie, and when he's on I change the channel. It's easy really. I don't feel the urge to complain about him.
If we were winning like Detroit...only Detroit wins like Detroit

Everyone else is in the same pool. Players don't actually appear that concerned with how good the team is. You always hear about them signing here or there for family reasons or for convenience (close to their favourite place). Players sign in TB and Florida basically just to soak up the sun (hello Cory Stillman). The fact is...no one wants to come here voluntarily. And yet they're more than willing to go anywhere else. We just scare people away.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 11:31 PM
ScherbakAttack

-Crazy media : Check
-Mentally unstable fans that would make me scared to walk around if I messed up / contributed to a loss : Check
-Winter : Check
-Language Barrier : Check
-Team that has been in the middle of the pack for a long time and shows no signs of changing : Check

Yep, I wouldn't come anywhere near Montreal if I was an NHL player.

ScherbakAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 11:32 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlue View Post
If we were winning like Detroit...only Detroit wins like Detroit

Everyone else is in the same pool. Players don't actually appear that concerned with how good the team is. You always hear about them signing here or there for family reasons or for convenience (close to their favourite place). Players sign in TB and Florida basically just to soak up the sun (hello Cory Stillman). The fact is...no one wants to come here voluntarily. And yet they're more than willing to go anywhere else. We just scare people away.
Exactly! And for those who say our GM fails at bringing in top drawer UFA's, how come he was able to do it in Dallas with so much ease (Hull, Belfour, etc)??

Old
04-19-2009, 11:35 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlandry View Post
-Crazy media : Check
-Mentally unstable fans that would make me scared to walk around if I messed up / contributed to a loss : Check
-Winter : Check
-Language Barrier : Check
-Team that has been in the middle of the pack for a long time and shows no signs of changing : Check

Yep, I wouldn't come anywhere near Montreal if I was an NHL player.
Don't forget the high tax rate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Typical excuse thread, I guess Montreal will never be able to compete so management is totally off the hook. If you need excuses like this to defend your poor excuse for a team you shouldnt be in charge in the first place.
We can compete, but we need to do it through the draft. We aren't going to attract FAs. If for no other reason than the fact that we tax at twice the rate that other cities do. (See above)

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 12:02 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Anyway, because there are people like Mashinter and others in this league, it is true that the draft and the development are the key. So we can't give away too many picks and this organization needs to be sure that they have more quality people that are working so the draft may not only get you a quantity of NHL Players but a quality of it as well.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 12:06 AM
Erngueva

Here I have a solution : Maybe we should suggest to people to start speaking english so the language barrier's gone. Then we should start to convince people to follow more baseball so that less people watch hockey = less medias. Media's pressure gone. Then we should actually convince our government to offer less services and lower taxes so that we can attract UFA.

Imagine, we could be a team like.... I don't know.... Toronto Maple Leafs, wouldn't it be so great !

OR we could start to draft better, develop our players better, making better team decision and build a better team. That's the real issues here, others issues are just excuses and have nothing to do with our success or lack of success.

Erngueva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 12:15 AM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erngueva View Post
Here I have a solution : Maybe we should suggest to people to start speaking english so the language barrier's gone. Then we should start to convince people to follow more baseball so that less people watch hockey = less medias. Media's pressure gone. Then we should actually convince our government to offer less services and lower taxes so that we can attract UFA.

Imagine, we could be a team like.... I don't know.... Toronto Maple Leafs, wouldn't it be so great !

OR we could start to draft better, develop our players better, making better team decision and build a better team. That's the real issues here, others issues are just excuses and have nothing to do with our success or lack of success.
Drafting well and developing effectively is all fine and dandy but how do we compete against teams that....
a) draft well,
b) develop effectively,
c) and sign UFA's who aren't scared of their media core invading their privacy and spreading rumours?

We can excel at 'a' and 'b' but the free agency component ('c') is a definite disadvantage that we face. Everything isn't equal for us and it's largely because of the crazed media core. I'd love to see us land a Chara or a Savard but those top tier UFA's just won't come here. It will be worse than ever after this season's disgrace (i.e. Darkest Day In History).

Old
04-20-2009, 12:19 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Don't forget the high tax rate.

We can compete, but we need to do it through the draft. We aren't going to attract FAs. If for no other reason than the fact that we tax at twice the rate that other cities do. (See above)
It doesnt explain away Gainey's terrible trades or complete lack of any trades. Face it the guy is a lame duck, he is so slow to the trade table deals are made and gone before he gets his shoes on.

For years this team has suffered from the exact same problems it faces today, Gainey has done nothing but change the names on the jersies.

Old
04-20-2009, 12:22 AM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
It doesnt explain away Gainey's terrible trades or complete lack of any trades. Face it the guy is a lame duck, he is so slow to the trade table deals are made and gone before he gets his shoes on.

For years this team has suffered from the exact same problems it faces today, Gainey has done nothing but change the names on the jersies.
Are you talking about the Kovalev trade? The Pacioretty and Gorges trade? Or maybe you're talking about this year's trades? The Schneider trade? The Lang trade? The Tanguay trade?

Old
04-20-2009, 12:30 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Are you talking about the Kovalev trade? The Pacioretty and Gorges trade? Or maybe you're talking about this year's trades? The Schneider trade? The Lang trade? The Tanguay trade?
Yes those address ALL of our problems dont they? Knee jerk reaction trades that put a bandage on a gaping wound.

Seriously is Lang going to be our #1 centre? Is Tanguay the gritty hard working winger we always wanted? Oh wait Schneider is going to replace Souray and Streit right? Good thing we have a youngster like him bolstering our D corps.

These are the best examples of trades you have to offer? This motley group of temporary quick fixes?

This plane is in a nose dive, the pilot is asleep and there is fanatics guarding the ****-pit.

Old
04-20-2009, 12:40 AM
MathMan

Let me summarize OneSharpMarble's argument:

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 12:53 AM
WhiskeySeven
Pretty big member

I don't think the mediots are that bad to be honest.

They talk about the team, the good and the bad. I remember after game 1 they were mostly positive, even when I was boiling with anger.

The people who get riled up over the media make it too big a deal. Usually the media says hockey-related things that either we all think or we all feel. When it gets to language issues or whatever, I don't think it's appropriate at all but truth be told it's rare.

Saku Koivu has lived in Montreal for how long? He has been captain of the Montreal Canadiens, the largest single symbol of Quebec, for about a decade. He should've learned at least a couple of words in French, come on, it's a matter of respect to the French fans/media who were equally supportive during his troubles as everybody else. I'm an anglo and I'm saying this.

My point is that all the "media pressure" is so overblown by us. We're the single greatest hockey city (and Top3 best cities in North America), with the most knowledgable and passionate fans. If Free Agents don't want to come here, if overage Juniors don't want to come here, it's not us that loses out.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 01:00 AM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Not surprising.

Its not just the media though. Take a look at some of the things written in these threads. The fans are brutal with our players.

Unless you were a fan of the team to begin with, there's absolutely no reason to sign with this team unless you were to think that we had a legit shot at a cup. We'll just have to hope that there are a lot of Hab fans out there who become top prospects... otherwise we're out of luck.
Exactly, the "media" ain't nothing else than fan like us, they don't know more about hockey, they don't think differently than the majority, they may have influence but they don't dictate what people think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post
Yea and no one want to play for the Yankees...

Give me a break. You're a professionnal athlete, if you can't handle pressure, choose a other job.
The "Yankee" example is completely ridiculous, it has nothing to do about money. NY will always attract free agents in any sports because of the city. How many millionaires live in Brossard you think?
You can probably count the number of millionaires in Montreal, it's a small village compare to New York, it's like St-Lin compared to here. Would athletes hoping to become stars want to move to St-Lin? "Oh! you'll be revered and adored by everyone at the Tim Hortons and people at the McDo will give you free big macs because fans are real passionate in St-Lin. " That's how stupid our GM sounds when he's talking to ufa about coming here.

Life is completely different in NYC than Montreal it's not even worth comparing. Pressure is just a word we like to throw around, it has more to do about respect of privacy and private life. It's much easier to escape that in a big city than a small town where everyone knows each other.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 01:11 AM
WhiskeySeven
Pretty big member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe View Post
Exactly, the "media" ain't nothing else than fan like us, they don't know more about hockey, they don't think differently than the majority, they may have influence but they don't dictate what people think.

The "Yankee" example is completely ridiculous, it has nothing to do about money. NY will always attract free agents in any sports because of the city. How many millionaires live in Brossard you think?
You can probably count the number of millionaires in Montreal, it's a small village compare to New York, it's like St-Lin compared to here. Would athletes hoping to become stars want to move to St-Lin? "Oh! you'll be revered and adored by everyone at the Tim Hortons and people at the McDo will give you free big macs because fans are real passionate in St-Lin. " That's how stupid our GM sounds when he's talking to ufa about coming here.

Life is completely different in NYC than Montreal it's not even worth comparing. Pressure is just a word we like to throw around, it has more to do about respect of privacy and private life. It's much easier to escape that in a big city than a small town where everyone knows each other.
I dunno if you know this but...

The Greater Montreal area is about the 28th biggest metro area in all of the Americas. It's about the 13th biggest in North America and that is including "twin cities" and urban sprawled cities like Pheonix-Scottsdale, Miami-FortLauderdale, SanFran-Oakland... aside from NYC, Chi, L.A. and Dallas MTL can give any American city a run for their money. Also we're the safest, sexiest and most efficient out of all of them!

Montreal is pretty big man, quit hatin'

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 01:23 AM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLapierre View Post
I dunno if you know this but...

The Greater Montreal area is about the 28th biggest metro area in all of the Americas. It's about the 13th biggest in North America and that is including "twin cities" and urban sprawled cities like Pheonix-Scottsdale, Miami-FortLauderdale, SanFran-Oakland... aside from NYC, Chi, L.A. and Dallas MTL can give any American city a run for their money. Also we're the safest, sexiest and most efficient out of all of them!

Montreal is pretty big man, quit hatin'
I love Montreal and wouldn't want to live in the States. I love to visit there but Mtl is a beautiful city and I enjoy the fact we have a "small-town" mentality even in a cosmopolitan city. I wouldn't want to live in Pittsburgh, heck I wouldn't even go back there to visit, I've been to Philly too and it's fugly, terrible cities. Boston is beautiful also though, smallish but has 3-4 pro team so it's a lot different than here.

That being said even trying to include Laval and Longueuil i.e. metro area is laughable at best. Those aren't cities no matter how "big" they are or how many people live in them. Go downtown in any of the cities I mentionned , stand in the middle of Time square and then go down blvd Concorde (or whatever the big street in Laval is) it;s isn't even a comparison. Can't compare. I won't get all political but the mentality in the states towards success is very different than in Quebec, we're worlds apart. I prefer Montreal but then again I"m not sucessful.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 01:53 AM
willalong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I did say in an earlier post that I hate how some journalists are working, mostly trying to entertain more than inform. So on that point we agree. But then, sure there was some instances where journalists went too far, Koivu and Demers in the hospital, Theodore in front of his home, this La Presse scandal, and the whole agenda against Koivu but then, what about this privacy invasion on 97% of all the players that had the pleasure of wearing that jersey?

If for the same reasons, the medias would be the only reason why players wouldn't come here, despite the tons of money sent their way, they wouldn't play for the Yankees. But because the money is there, suddenly their privacy invasion is not that big of a problem anymore or if it is, the money and the fact that this team can always be a contender makes for it.

Do you really believe that the media exposes everybody as far as their privacy is concerned? Do you think that we actually know everything they know?

As far as the numerous articles they could do, I already stated that I'm pissed off 'cause they aren't doing it. Then a guy like Mathias Brunet does it and he's great, well informed and knows his stuff.....until he talks about Kovalev and because he doesn't have a tape is not to be believed anymore, until he continues to talk about prospects and he's great again.

By the way, the blame I put on the fans is because I was responding to the posters who kept bringing the 20 journalists in the dressing room arguements, or the numerous radio shows, or TV shows or newspapers that exists in this province. It was a response to the quantity of it. Not the quality. 'Cause clearly, I kept saying hos misinformed we always are so I won't disagree with you on that point.
Do you realize how big New York is? How many distractions besides baseball??.......football, basketball......boxing....and 10 million people to blend in with.

willalong is offline   Reply With Quote