HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michigan Sports Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2009, 11:41 AM
Shoalzie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
Sheffield Released.

This really surprises me. While it's good for the team, freeing up a roster spot for someone who may actually be useful and healthy, it's a massive chunk of cash for Ilitch to throw away. Then again, Sheff was getting that money regardless so may as well do what was best for the team.

I wonder how this will shift things around in the lineup. I would love to se Guillen made the fulltime DH. It's unlikely his play in LF will be anything special and keeping him off the field should go a long way towards keeping him healthy.

Must've been to make room for Josh Anderson, whom they just picked up from Atlanta. I too like the idea of Guillen as the DH...I couldn't stomach a full season of him in left. Anderson, Thames or Clevlen as the starting LF?

Bonderman, Zumaya and Willis will all start the season on the DL...delightful. Looks like Porcello will be on the opening day roster now with two starters on the DL.

I see this season being another beautiful disaster...Granderson and Cabrera will have great years but they'll be lucky to break .500.

Old
03-31-2009, 02:47 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
Must've been to make room for Josh Anderson, whom they just picked up from Atlanta. I too like the idea of Guillen as the DH...I couldn't stomach a full season of him in left. Anderson, Thames or Clevlen as the starting LF?

Bonderman, Zumaya and Willis will all start the season on the DL...delightful. Looks like Porcello will be on the opening day roster now with two starters on the DL.

I see this season being another beautiful disaster...Granderson and Cabrera will have great years but they'll be lucky to break .500.
I'm curious aboat Anderson. He doesn't draw any walks (welcome to the Tigers, he'll fit right in) but he's got a ton of speed. If he's got a great glove, stick him in left and try to win with defense.

The bright side to Bonderman is that it seems to be a question of strength. There's been rumors of a sore shoulder, but he hadn't thrown a ball in eight months since his surgery. Not sure I'm big on Porcello's going north, though. He's not going to be the difference between the playoffs and the basement, so why not let him mature in the minors? I'd rather keep Bonine as the #5 and let the kid come along slowly.

Old
03-31-2009, 02:53 PM
Shoalzie

The thing that ticks me off with this Sheffield move is because didn't Texas want him a couple months ago? The Tigers would've had to eat some of the contract but they could've got something for him. Now, they eat his entire contract and he's gone for nothing...shades of Damion Easley, who is still bumping around the Majors last time I checked. From 97.1, the Phillies are supposedly interested in Sheff.

Old
04-01-2009, 08:40 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Rodney's gettin' the rock in the ninth...

Perry and Porcello Head North

Alright, the first is a bit misleading as it sounds like it'll be more of a "closer by committee until someone steps up and pitches worth a lick, but I'm not thrilled with either of these moves - more so the second one. We simply aren't going to contend for the central this year barring some freakish coincidences tilting our way. So why bring a couple of kids north who, the Tigers openly admit, could use more polish in the minors? This is a long term hazard for minimal short term gain. Bonderman still hasn't mastered that third pitch because he was brought up as a kid and not given time to properly mature. Player after player has been either set back or decimated by being force fed into a situation they weren't properly prepared for.

So why not just take their lumps and call the kids up in September to ready them for a real run next year? This bothers me more with Porcello than with Perry, unless they plan on sending Porcello down when Bondo joins the team.

The Rodney thing leaves me wondering why we signed Lyon but, given how he's pitched this spring, Lyon shouldn't complain about getting pushed out of the closer role. The closer by committee thing might actually work out best for this team as Leyland can just go with whoever has the hot hand and/or is ready to go.

Old
04-02-2009, 05:48 PM
Suntouchable13

Hey Blue Jays fan here, can any one please confirm who's starting for the Tigers on opening night?

Old
04-02-2009, 09:18 PM
Winger98
powers combined

unless it's changed, Verlander

Old
04-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Tigers finally got their first win today!

Old
04-08-2009, 10:50 PM
Shoalzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
Tigers finally got their first win today!

Yup, good to see the bullpen hold up a lead for a start that throw a strong game. Seay-to-Perry-to-Rodney...take note, Mr. Leyland. Inge is off to a hot start and it doesn't look like Cabrera is going to need as much time to get rolling as last year...2 bombs tonight and he's hitting .700 through these first three games.

Old
04-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Yup, good to see the bullpen hold up a lead for a start that throw a strong game. Seay-to-Perry-to-Rodney...take note, Mr. Leyland. Inge is off to a hot start and it doesn't look like Cabrera is going to need as much time to get rolling as last year...2 bombs tonight and he's hitting .700 through these first three games.
Looks like Leyland also needs to take note that Rincon's gotten hit in both appearances so far. Disappointing after his strong spring but, on the plus side, there's no reason to stick with him too long with a couple of solid arms waiting for a chance in Toledo.

Maybe the homestand will see them get on a bit of a run.

Old
04-15-2009, 03:34 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Tigers rip ChiSox

Galarraga had a great day on the mound and the bottom half of the lineup came up big. Also, just love seeing the White Sox take a beating.

Old
04-15-2009, 03:49 PM
Shoalzie

Galarraga has been gold going back to the WBC...and did you notice the bullpen? Not in a save situation but Seay-Perry-Rodney...all holding onto their Blutarski-like ERAs.

Also, can Ramon Santiago finally be the starting shortstop? He had the glove before but now he's starting to hit. I don't care how they got Everett...Santiago is the better player right now.

Old
04-15-2009, 04:08 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Santiago has really impressed me. I understood bring a guy like Everett in, considering how Santiago has never put together a full season in the field and at the plate, but I don't see how you don't let Santiago run with it if he's producing. The plus is that Everett's cheap enough that you don't mind him sitting on the bench.

That Anderson guy we picked up from Atlanta has looked very good, too. There is very little to not like about the Tigers so far.

Old
04-15-2009, 04:14 PM
Shoalzie

Guillen and Granderson are off to slow starts and Magglio has just been a singles hitter...his slugging% is the same as his batting average. Verlander, Miner and Lyon haven't been all that hot from the pitching side. In spite of this, they're sitting at 5-4 and near the top of the division in the early going.

Old
04-15-2009, 04:49 PM
Winger98
powers combined

don't kill my "spring training anything can happen" shoalzie

Old
04-16-2009, 08:18 AM
Shoalzie

I keeps it real...

I'd love another 2006 but I think this team is a work in progress. I'm definitely more encouraged than last year given the team's start and Cabrera's hot start.

Old
04-19-2009, 11:54 PM
Winger98
powers combined

If you had asked me in spring training, I would have said I would have been thrilled for a .500 record and some kids making progress. They keep winning like they won tonight, and I'll be complaining if they don't win 95 games and push for a playoff berth.

Old
04-20-2009, 09:51 AM
Shoalzie

Nice start to the road trip...Porcello looked strong in spite of getting his turn skipped because of the rain out.

Interesting week for the Lions coming up. The new logo and uniform will be unveiled this afternoon and the draft is this weekend. It seems like its down to Stafford, Jason Smith and Curry for the #1 pick.

Old
04-20-2009, 11:45 AM
Bob Probert Owns You

Send a message via AIM to Bob Probert Owns You
Quote:
Nice start to the road trip...Porcello looked strong in spite of getting his turn skipped because of the rain out.

Interesting week for the Lions coming up. The new logo and uniform will be unveiled this afternoon and the draft is this weekend. It seems like its down to Stafford, Jason Smith and Curry for the #1 pick.
No way, Michael Crabtree FTW!

Old
04-20-2009, 12:01 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
I keeps it real...

I'd love another 2006 but I think this team is a work in progress. I'm definitely more encouraged than last year given the team's start and Cabrera's hot start.
As has been well-documented, I am one of the world's biggest cynics and skeptics.

That being said, I have been pleasantly surprised by the Kitties thus far. I thought the rotation would be garbage, but Galarraga is carrying over (and then some), Jackson looks great, Verlander just needs to stop giving up 1 big inning, and Porcello looks like the real deal. His fastball moves so much that he almost doesn't need another pitch. Imagine him with 2 or 3 other plus pitches at his disposal.

The bullpen has been pretty good too, and I thought it would be terrible. Mr. Crooked Hat has been very good, Perry is a live wire, and Lyon is, well, he's Todd Jones.

If Bondo can come back and give them some life in that 5th slot, or if Willis figures things out, and if Zumaya can come back and stay back, this could be a pretty good pitching staff. And with the lineup they've got, pretty good could be good enough.

Admittedly that's a lot of ifs, but Peter Gammons was saying the other day basically what I just said about them looking good and having some more pieces coming back from the DL, and he's Peter freaking Gammons. Everyone was saying the 2006 Tigers were a work in progress, until they took off.

I still say that the WBC is great for our hitters. They get that Tigers April From Hell out of the way before MLB games begin, and come out of the chute raking. Happened in 2006 too.

Old
04-20-2009, 12:31 PM
Shoalzie

They leaked the logo a couple weeks ago on NFL.com...looks pretty cool. It's the same lion but with more detail. I would've taken the old logo and uniforms with better players but this will work.

Last edited by Shoalzie: 04-20-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old
04-20-2009, 12:56 PM
zecke26

Quote:
I would've taken the old logo and uniforms with better players but this will work.

but yeah, nice change. now it's up to the players to make the new logo a good luck charm.

Old
04-20-2009, 01:01 PM
sarcastro

So when they go oh-fer 2009 they will change the logo again? Tee hee.

Old
04-20-2009, 01:30 PM
Shoalzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
So when they go oh-fer 2009 they will change the logo again? Tee hee.

With the changes they've made...if they 0-16 in '09, I'm through with them!

Oh, who am I kidding...I'll be back watching these turkeys if they never win another game ever.

Old
04-23-2009, 09:16 AM
Shoalzie

For the Lions, it's down to Stafford or Curry for the #1 pick. Curry will take the offer the Lions have given him but if Stafford takes his offer by Friday, he'll be the #1 pick. We'll know by tomorrow who it'll be on Saturday. My hope is that Stafford gets greedy and passes on the deal and the Lions end up with Curry. He's willing to take less money and he wants to be a Lion...Curry should be the pick, which means they'll end up with Stafford.

Old
04-24-2009, 10:37 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
For the Lions, it's down to Stafford or Curry for the #1 pick. Curry will take the offer the Lions have given him but if Stafford takes his offer by Friday, he'll be the #1 pick. We'll know by tomorrow who it'll be on Saturday. My hope is that Stafford gets greedy and passes on the deal and the Lions end up with Curry. He's willing to take less money and he wants to be a Lion...Curry should be the pick, which means they'll end up with Stafford.
You're correct sir ... He got more than Haynesworth got from Snyder

Welcome to rookie pay scale, AFTER the next NFL Lockout

Closed Thread