HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The "Thank you for taking us to the playoffs, Bob" thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-20-2009, 12:55 AM
  #51
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 14,021
vCash: 500
Koivu has to pick it up offensively. He's trying hard to forecheck but he really doesn't have the hands anymore to take or give a pass anymore it seems.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 01:20 AM
  #52
Stradale
Registered User
 
Stradale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Thank you for bringing us in the playoff so we can see how soft the Habs are and realize that this team needs BIG changes.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 01:25 AM
  #53
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty
 
Born in 1909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
It seems like some people are just so thrilled that the Habs can manage to get their skates on the right feet so after that everything else is just bonus. Embarrassing to thank someone for a first round exit after an abysmal season and a mediocre 5 years.
I read and reread this interesting post several times...

After very careful consideration, I believe that its probably more fun to be a Hab fan if you live in Montreal... you get to sit in the wild pubs with the Habfan Brotherhood and go nuts when they pull off a great play or a great win... you feel the buzzing electricity of the city, and it is a HUGE part of the experience...

I was feeling it when I started this thread about 1 hour before the puck dropped in game 2.

Montreal was strung like a crossbow ready to rip.

It was awesome.

Maybe in Montreal you get to enjoy the simple pleasure of the moment (when they are there ) instead of feeling like the lonely bitter fan far from the Mecca.

And I say that with absolutely no intent to offend anyone.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 01:33 AM
  #54
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk57 View Post
Thank him for what,good prospects?Isen't timmins job?

Thank him for what,put togheter the softest team in the Nhl


Thank him for what?Breezer return,Ribiero and theodore trades,Julien and carbo firing,Signing end of carreer overpaid vets?Improvisation managing?Even Houle could not do worst...

So if we follow your logic souvenir,we have to wait till the draft because you "feel"he will make a move?And we should keep him because we don't have anyone better in our organisation to replace him?

My GF is fat and ugly,but i don't know any girl better than her so i should find her pretty and keep her at all cost..come on

Call me and all the poster smart ass all you want,i don't have to wait till draft day to face the obvious,and probably gainey will be deep sleeping again,as usual.
Who drafted the softies ? Timmins job like you said...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 05:54 AM
  #55
nighthawk57
Registered User
 
nighthawk57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 80
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Who drafted the softies ? Timmins job like you said...
So that means that Gainey did a good job...

nighthawk57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 07:38 AM
  #56
saints96
Registered User
 
saints96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,930
vCash: 500
you know what, all you Bob haters should really take the time and reflect before you parade around blaming the one person who has the least to do with this teams failure. The players have no heart, no dicipline, no work ethics and no pride when they are on the ice. All season long our players both rookies and veterans getting stupid penalty after stupid penalty, poor defencive coverage, weak offense, sloppy goaltending, losing puck battle after puck battle, horrible coaching and development of our players.. i can go on and on.....My point being, is that it is all these factors done, or not done by the players is the biggest reason why our team wasnt successful all season and why they most likely will not advance into the further rounds of the playoffs. So ya its easy to blame the GM for whats happening with this team. but i havent seen any evidence to support your whining and complaining. What exactly is gainey`s fault? What has he directly done or not done(as you claim) to this team?

saints96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 07:49 AM
  #57
jcpenny
Registered User
 
jcpenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLapierre View Post
Koivu has to pick it up offensively. He's trying hard to forecheck but he really doesn't have the hands anymore to take or give a pass anymore it seems.
He was fine when Tanguay was with him. That Laraque experience is killing him and Kovy.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 08:10 AM
  #58
Namso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,031
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylife View Post
I read and reread this interesting post several times...

After very careful consideration, I believe that its probably more fun to be a Hab fan if you live in Montreal... you get to sit in the wild pubs with the Habfan Brotherhood and go nuts when they pull off a great play or a great win... you feel the buzzing electricity of the city, and it is a HUGE part of the experience...

I was feeling it when I started this thread about 1 hour before the puck dropped in game 2.

Montreal was strung like a crossbow ready to rip.

It was awesome.

Maybe in Montreal you get to enjoy the simple pleasure of the moment (when they are there ) instead of feeling like the lonely bitter fan far from the Mecca.

And I say that with absolutely no intent to offend anyone.
i dont know where u hang out but there is hardly any playoff excitement in the city anymore. Most people have already assumed we're losing in 4 or 5.

I really miss last years playoffs, so much hype and atmosphere. Right now, the city is dead when it comes to hockey.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 08:12 AM
  #59
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion
 
Coach Parker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post
i dont know where u hang out but there is hardly any playoff excitement in the city anymore. Most people have already assumed we're losing in 4 or 5.

I really miss last years playoffs, so much hype and atmosphere. Right now, the city is dead when it comes to hockey.
Slightly OT, but the atmosphere in Montreal came up...

How was the city on Saturday night for UFC?

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 08:23 AM
  #60
fufonzo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,522
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
I have no idea how you people cannot see how much further along this team is than when Bob took over.

Where were you guys last year when we were 1st in the East?
Who was complaining about lack of elite talent? Who was complaining about our team being too soft?
Maybe a few of you?

Gainey took a first place team and added Tanguay (talent), Lang (bigger skilled centre) and Laracque (toughness) to address our team's needs.
We then were playing very well 5 on 5, but realized we needed to bolster our PP. He got Schneider and that worked very well. He also added Metro for the playoffs, and I don't see how anyone can complain about the work of Metro.

Honestly, if you take a 1st place team, without losing any key pieces (although Streit turned out to be a key piece, nobody would have paid him $4m to keep him last summer), and add Tanguay, Lang, Schneider, Metro, and Laraque, who all turned out to play great with us (except Laraque), you can't be blamed if the team does poorly. It's the same god damn team that got 1st last year, and you've added 3-4 key player.

Gainey has no control over players' slumps and injuries. Had there been no major injuries and had Plekanec and the Kostitsyns played like they did last year, I have no doubt we'd have been battling for top 3 in the East this year.


Last edited by fufonzo: 04-20-2009 at 08:45 AM.
fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 08:29 AM
  #61
x-bob
Registered User
 
x-bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habarazzi View Post
How pathetic of a thread is this?

Stone-face has done nothing for you to be thanking him.
''Stone-face'' has done an excellent job as a GM. He put the right team together that got to 1st in the conference and added key elements in Tanguay, Schneider and Lang the following season. In no way to I blame him for this lackluster season. The players are to blame and that is pretty clear to me

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 08:32 AM
  #62
saints96
Registered User
 
saints96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bob View Post
''Stone-face'' has done an excellent job as a GM. He put the right team together that got to 1st in the conference and added key elements in Tanguay, Schneider and Lang the following season. In no way to I blame him for this lackluster season. The players are to blame and that is pretty clear to me
i totally agree. if only everyone was as logical as you are

saints96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 08:33 AM
  #63
marchabsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bob View Post
''Stone-face'' has done an excellent job as a GM. He put the right team together that got to 1st in the conference and added key elements in Tanguay, Schneider and Lang the following season. In no way to I blame him for this lackluster season. The players are to blame and that is pretty clear to me
if a gm's success would only be considered as results "on paper" there are a couple of yankees gms and nyrangers gms that would be considered pretty awesome. the thing is that in the job description there's also putting together a GROUP, more importantly in hockey, a group of guys that will be playoff warriors. good together and good in tough situations. neither we have here. of course the players, gm and coach share the blame.

marchabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 08:49 AM
  #64
fufonzo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,522
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchabsfan View Post
if a gm's success would only be considered as results "on paper" there are a couple of yankees gms and nyrangers gms that would be considered pretty awesome. the thing is that in the job description there's also putting together a GROUP, more importantly in hockey, a group of guys that will be playoff warriors. good together and good in tough situations. neither we have here. of course the players, gm and coach share the blame.
Rangers and Yankees GMs have (or had, in the Rangers' case) all the money in the world to develop a team. They have a clear advantage over the rest of the league since they were able to attract anyone and pay them what they wanted.
Despite this huge advantage, the teams faltered and that is why they were fired.
With what Bob has to work with, he has done a very fine job.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 08:57 AM
  #65
otto bond
Registered User
 
otto bond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLapierre View Post
Carbo had this team at 4th place.

Gainey had us sneak in on an 8th-place tie-breaker.

??
Did you relay like Carbo that much? He was relay good proud guy and all, he just didn't do any adjustment during games. I guess his biggest flaw was that he reacted to up and down and in result the players lost all confidence. You can coach if you are frustrated.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 09:21 AM
  #66
fufonzo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,522
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Agreed 100%.

Also, Pleks and Akost were two of our best players last year. You can't blame Gainey for them having a piss poor year.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 09:56 AM
  #67
TinordiandSubban
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,402
vCash: 500
Until that rat faced ******* Grabovski runs Markov we were a team that was starting to come together and play some great hockey.
Injuries and slumps are not Bob's fault. He's done a great job of building through the draft and adding key pieces to stay competitive.
All it takes is 2-3 more years of patience to see the results.

InBobwetrust

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 11:32 AM
  #68
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty
 
Born in 1909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inBobwetrust View Post
Until that rat faced ******* Grabovski runs Markov we were a team that was starting to come together and play some great hockey.
Injuries and slumps are not Bob's fault. He's done a great job of building through the draft and adding key pieces to stay competitive.
All it takes is 2-3 more years of patience to see the results.

InBobwetrust
Damn straight we were coming together

Defeating Chicago in the later-season surge showed their ability to coalesce into a feared skating unit.

Crushing the Leafs wasn't too bad either...

Tonight is game 7, though

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 11:55 AM
  #69
JHabs
HFB Partner
 
JHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,356
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Personally I would have preferred to not make the playoffs, and get a better pick then to lose in the 1st round to our arch rival. Just my point of view.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 12:06 PM
  #70
icerocket
Registered User
 
icerocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Atlantis
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,317
vCash: 500
I love Bob Gainey. But praising him is absolutely idiotic. Carbo lost the locker, ok and we had to get rid of him. But this season has been a disaster. Being happy because we made the playoffs? Come on! We were suppose to challenge for the cup this year and now we are probably going to get sewpt out of the playoffs.

Next season this team won't even look like the team Bob built. How can you say he ever achieved anything?

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 12:14 PM
  #71
JHabs
HFB Partner
 
JHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,356
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
I love Bob Gainey. But praising him is absolutely idiotic. Carbo lost the locker, ok and we had to get rid of him. But this season has been a disaster. Being happy because we made the playoffs? Come on! We were suppose to challenge for the cup this year and now we are probably going to get sewpt out of the playoffs.

Next season this team won't even look like the team Bob built. How can you say he ever achieved anything?
With a healthy team? We would have been in alot better shape, given that we still have a playoff spot with half our team dead with injuries speaks volumes about our depth. We were hoping Andrei and Sergei would have better years but they didn't pan out and have taken longer then usual.

The team had a few scandals that destroyed their morale, the Centennial year put extra pressure on them.

The team was way over hyped this year, which made the outcome even worse, top with injuries.

Look at our Defensive Prospects, look at Max P., look at Maxwell, look at Subban, Look at Lapierre. Don't preach saying Gainey achieved nothing. He started with nothing, and in 5 years gave us this. Pretty damn impressive, considering we only had 1 top 5 pick in the 5 years of rebuilding. He had a preset deadline (100th year) and quite frankly the team wasn't producing as hoped, couple that with injuries, and then look at where we are. Tanguay is one of the stars of our team and Bob got him.

Regardless of what our team looks like next year we still have Patches, Subban, McDonagh, Fischer (will pan out one day), Maxwell, Kostitsyns (may pan out, probably will just takes time like Carter) Price, and Halak. So thank you Bob Gainey for taking this piece of **** garbage team that you were given and turn it into a respectable franchise. Just because we had a horrible year doesn't mean you have to question Gainey's achievements. He's accomplished alot you just choose to see the negativity directed towards him.

Thanks Bob.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 12:27 PM
  #72
icerocket
Registered User
 
icerocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Atlantis
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
With a healthy team? We would have been in alot better shape, given that we still have a playoff spot with half our team dead with injuries speaks volumes about our depth. We were hoping Andrei and Sergei would have better years but they didn't pan out and have taken longer then usual.

The team had a few scandals that destroyed their morale, the Centennial year put extra pressure on them.

The team was way over hyped this year, which made the outcome even worse, top with injuries.

Look at our Defensive Prospects, look at Max P., look at Maxwell, look at Subban, Look at Lapierre. Don't preach saying Gainey achieved nothing. He started with nothing, and in 5 years gave us this. Pretty damn impressive, considering we only had 1 top 5 pick in the 5 years of rebuilding. He had a preset deadline (100th year) and quite frankly the team wasn't producing as hoped, couple that with injuries, and then look at where we are. Tanguay is one of the stars of our team and Bob got him.

Regardless of what our team looks like next year we still have Patches, Subban, McDonagh, Fischer (will pan out one day), Maxwell, Kostitsyns (may pan out, probably will just takes time like Carter) Price, and Halak. So thank you Bob Gainey for taking this piece of **** garbage team that you were given and turn it into a respectable franchise. Just because we had a horrible year doesn't mean you have to question Gainey's achievements. He's accomplished alot you just choose to see the negativity directed towards him.

Thanks Bob.
The Kostitsyns are more than likely busts. I still can't believe we chose Andrei over Zach Parise. Those prospects are just that, prospects and judging from what we've gotten so far it isn't too promising. Pleks and the Kostitsyns were gonna carry this team and we haven't seen that. Price (although I still believe will become great) has major confidence issues and I hope he is better than M-A Fleury.

The only we had success last season was because everything went right and then in the playoffs this team was destroyed by the forecheck.

Yes injuries hurt this team (Markov is the best player on this team) but guess what? Injuries are part of the game. Clearly our depth is not as good as it seems.

I love Bob, and I constantly have to defend him when i talk to my friends but this topic is praising him for what is a miserable season.

And if this team looks completely different next season, how can you say the team Bob built was the right team?

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 12:30 PM
  #73
Classified
Registered User
 
Classified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,149
vCash: 500
I don't understand all the praise people give for smart drafting, the fact is, beside MacPax and McDonagh, our prospects are not that promising! None of them have superstar potential and the first round drafting has been a joke for a decade. As much as I love Price and would go to the end of the world to defend him, maybe he's not going to be as good as we all thought/hoped. Gainey is responsible for bulding this team of soft europeans. He had five years to make this team better, and with the exception of the flash in the pan that was last season, we're still a bad team fighting for a playoff spot during the last games. It's simple, give someone else a chance to make this team a winner.

Classified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 12:41 PM
  #74
jcpenny
Registered User
 
jcpenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
Personally I would have preferred to not make the playoffs, and get a better pick then to lose in the 1st round to our arch rival. Just my point of view.
Quitter...

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 12:48 PM
  #75
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty
 
Born in 1909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
Personally I would have preferred to not make the playoffs, and get a better pick then to lose in the 1st round to our arch rival. Just my point of view.
Its better to be in the PO's than missing out by a few points like the Oilers, Sabres, Florida, etc. That was the point of the thread.

Valuable lessons about every facet of an organization are always learned in the PO's

Sometimes a crushing loss is the best lesson of all, as it crystalizes reality.

One poster here said it best...

You can view anything with either negativity or positivity... including your very own son or daughter.

It is a choice.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.