HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Colin Campbell is an idiot...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-20-2009, 11:47 AM
  #26
i am dave
Registered User
 
i am dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Corner of 1st & 1st
Country: United States
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
Colin Campbell at the 1:30 mark:

Quote:
You're really stuck on this last 5 minutes, aren't ya?
Gee, Colin, maybe because YOU made a big stinking deal about it.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 11:48 AM
  #27
Jules801
Just Some Broad
 
Jules801's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Good Ol' Glassboro
Country: Israel
Posts: 6,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
The part where he says Cammalleri may have been suspended IF Havlat was hurt made me sick.
Agree 100%. In what world is punishment based solely on the result? If I hit you with a bat in the leg, I am charged with aggravated assault. If I hit you with a bat in the leg, I'm charged with the same thing. Or, another way to look at it... if I break into your house, but only steal loose change, should I recieve less of a punishment if I break into your house and steal your 50 inch plasma?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brophy View Post
I had to turn it off. That was retarded.
You should watch it. It's very telling.

Good for Ron for not completely backing down and throwing softballs.

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 11:49 AM
  #28
UseYourAllusion
Registered User
 
UseYourAllusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 6,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParentPower View Post
Colin Campbell at the 1:30 mark:



Gee, Colin, maybe because YOU made a big stinking deal about it.

Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel.

You're at the nexus of the universe?

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 11:54 AM
  #29
i am dave
Registered User
 
i am dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Corner of 1st & 1st
Country: United States
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
Basically, folks, if you have 20 PIMs on the year, you can McSorley somebody, because Colin doesn't think you're a bully yet.


Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post

You're at the nexus of the universe?
I see an Original Ray's Pizza...

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 11:54 AM
  #30
UseYourAllusion
Registered User
 
UseYourAllusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 6,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParentPower View Post
Basically, folks, if you have 20 PIMs on the year, you can McSorley somebody, because Colin doesn't think you're a bully yet.




I see an Original Ray's Pizza...
Famous Original Ray's?

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 12:05 PM
  #31
Pope Pogo II
 
Pope Pogo II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 683
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Pope Pogo II Send a message via Yahoo to Pope Pogo II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
The part where he says Cammalleri may have been suspended IF Havlat was hurt made me sick.
Same here, that was just proof especially in Downies case last year, he suspends players because of the injuries, and not because of the infraction itself.

Same thing against Bergeron and Alberts last year, if they aren't hurt at all there is no suspension, and in Jones case, no penalty either.

Pope Pogo II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 12:06 PM
  #32
Lab Monkey
Registered User
 
Lab Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,375
vCash: 500
The thing I don't get with Campbell is that guys like Cammalleri don't get suspended because they don't have a history. But how the hell are they supposed to get a history if you don't ****ing suspend them?

Should we be sending out Powe to knock Crosby's head off since Powe doesn't have a history? Should Ryan Parent be two handing somebody in the throat because he doesn't have a history? The NHL should consult with the NHLPA to come up with a guideline as to what IS suspendable and what is not. And they should stick to the god damn rules and not veer off. Once Bettman and this ****can are out of the league I have no doubt that the NHL will succeed at becoming a reputable organization. Until then they are doomed to be the laughing stock of sports. The NHL is one step above having Doink the Clown.

Lab Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 12:09 PM
  #33
Murphy7
Drop the puck
 
Murphy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country:
Posts: 1,635
vCash: 500
Campbell was on NHL Live on NHL Network after Game 1. He blasted the hosts, which on this day included Jim Dowd, for bringing up the discipline issues and the way the game is called. He said they were just looking for ways to fill their allotted time when they should be talking about the great things in the game, "like the passing."
Dowd said that he was watching Game 1, and the first penalty call (Asham?!) made him sick. The Pens goal right after upset him so much that he turned the game off.
Good for Jimmy Dowd, a hockey guy, saying that he couldn't watch (so refreshing to hear someone speak the truth, regardless of the consequences). I only hope he doesn't get suspended from NHL Network for being honest. Colin Campbell will keep his job, even though he's not even capable of discussing what he does.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 12:11 PM
  #34
UseYourAllusion
Registered User
 
UseYourAllusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 6,873
vCash: 500
The NHL really needs to bring in some kind of ombudsman. Someone, from the outside, needs to take an inside look at the staggering incompetence displayed by this league's management.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 12:19 PM
  #35
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
The NHL really needs to bring in some kind of ombudsman. Someone, from the outside, needs to take an inside look at the staggering incompetence displayed by this league's management.
Campbell needs to go...and has needed to go for some time. He's simply not good at the job he's supposedly doing. Doesn't make him a bad guy, but he clearly does not see the big picture that he's supposed to be grappling with.

After that, they should create a council of former players, coaches, and GMs that discuss and dole out punishment. Hell, they could have active players involved and I think it would be a good thing. If the play in question involves your own team you would abstain...but it should be a dispersed decision, as opposed to what is going on now.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 12:35 PM
  #36
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
I'm pretty speechless after watching that. Thanks for admitting you make it up as you go along, Colin.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 12:37 PM
  #37
Pope Pogo II
 
Pope Pogo II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 683
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Pope Pogo II Send a message via Yahoo to Pope Pogo II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Campbell needs to go...and has needed to go for some time. He's simply not good at the job he's supposedly doing. Doesn't make him a bad guy, but he clearly does not see the big picture that he's supposed to be grappling with.

After that, they should create a council of former players, coaches, and GMs that discuss and dole out punishment. Hell, they could have active players involved and I think it would be a good thing. If the play in question involves your own team you would abstain...but it should be a dispersed decision, as opposed to what is going on now.
The problem with that, though, is it is a really good idea and it would make sense.

Pope Pogo II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 01:02 PM
  #38
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?
 
Pantokrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Semmes, Alabama
Country: Guatemala
Posts: 4,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashspec View Post
Ron Maclean has some great interviews at times
That is my first time seeing Ron McLean - he did a great job of not backing down.

You could tell Colin was caught offguard because he needed too do a better job defining his terms. What makes someone a bully if they hit someone at the end of the game, but not a bully if they do it in the middle of a game?

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 03:16 PM
  #39
psu711
Registered User
 
psu711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Allentown
Country: United States
Posts: 483
vCash: 500
For discussion purposes I’ll mention that I don’t think it was a horrible interview by Campbell.

I think most people here are going to take every word he says and over analyze it.

He said one thing loud and clear, and over and over. Don’t do actions that are considered “bullying” after the game has been determined.

To me, that is a very basic and simple request that I have no idea why so many people are having trouble with or feel is an unreasonable request.

He also alluded to the fact that priory history (be it suspension or incidents that don’t receive suspensions) are a part of dealing out punishment.

Again, doesn’t this seem like common sense?

psu711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 03:26 PM
  #40
BillyShoe1721
Terriers
 
BillyShoe1721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,783
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
He says one thing in his first sentence, and contradicts it the next.

BillyShoe1721 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 04:05 PM
  #41
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 32,523
vCash: 50
that was great. McLean just roasting him on live tv.
Cammalleri throws that suckerpunch to Havlat and nothing happens and Campbell basically laughs it off as hes saying without saying "Its Cammalleri, hes a skill guy, skill guys can throw sucker punches and not get suspended"
Lucic who we all know what kind of player he is gets suspended one game for bringing his stick up to Lappys face. Campbell even admits Lucic got him with the glove first. So basically a glancing blow with the stick to the face got him a suspension. what kind of ******** is that? You think if Savard or Kessel do that he gets suspended? probably not. Lucic was reckless with his stick. But a first time offender gets suspended? clearly the suspension was handed down because of the type of player he is. That has more to do with the suspension then anything. the reputation proceeds the act. stupid.
Now Montreal has Boston's best skill tough guy out for the all important game 3, so they can go about taking runs at Savard and Kessle without consequence.
that video was PROOF that Campbell makes the rules up as he goes along, their is a double standard with certian "kinds" of players in the league.
major props to McLean for not backing down.
Campbell is a moron, and a imbecile.


Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 04-20-2009 at 04:19 PM.
GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 04:16 PM
  #42
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,483
vCash: 500
If reputation is a determining factor in handing out suspensions, where did Downie's non-NHL reputation fit into Campbell's equation that rang up 20 games for ringing up McAmmond? Or is that a rhetorical question?

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 04:19 PM
  #43
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 15,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by psu711 View Post
He said one thing loud and clear, and over and over. Don’t do actions that are considered “bullying” after the game has been determined.
If this was the standard, why were there no suspensions after the second game of both the Blues/Canucks series and the Habs/Bruins series?

It's not the bullying that's earning suspenions, it's the bully. If the bully has a reputation for toeing the line, he's getting suspended. Carcillo and Lucic were suspended based on who they were.

Bieksa, Crombeen, Komisarek, Lapierre and Kostopoulos all could have been suspended for 'bullying after the game had been determined.'

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Colin Campbell is a disgrace to the NHL and the position he holds. The standards should apply when penalizing an act whether it's committed by Dan Carcillo with six seconds left in the 3rd period, or Simon Gagne with eight minutes left in the 2nd period. If the NHL was serious about the health and safety of its players, there would be no double standard.


On a related note, knowing how the league will treat Dan Carcillo going forward, I'm even more angry that the Flyers acquired him. Every move he makes will be scrutinized and the Flyers will continue to have difficulty earning the gray area calls.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 04:21 PM
  #44
Miss Mess
Registered User
 
Miss Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 4,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab Monkey View Post
The thing I don't get with Campbell is that guys like Cammalleri don't get suspended because they don't have a history. But how the hell are they supposed to get a history if you don't ****ing suspend them?
Exactly. His logic makes no sense...

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 04:23 PM
  #45
Kirk- NEHJ
Registered User
 
Kirk- NEHJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: CAV Country!
Country: United States
Posts: 12,745
vCash: 500
I think the Flyers have gotten repeatedly screwed during the playoffs via the officiating.

It's really disgraceful...hockey games are tough enough to win without having the refs operating off of two different sets of standards.

You guys deserve better- just wanted to post that.

Kirk- NEHJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 04:27 PM
  #46
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?
 
Pantokrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Semmes, Alabama
Country: Guatemala
Posts: 4,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by psu711 View Post
For discussion purposes I’ll mention that I don’t think it was a horrible interview by Campbell.

I think most people here are going to take every word he says and over analyze it.

He said one thing loud and clear, and over and over. Don’t do actions that are considered “bullying” after the game has been determined.

To me, that is a very basic and simple request that I have no idea why so many people are having trouble with or feel is an unreasonable request.

He also alluded to the fact that priory history (be it suspension or incidents that don’t receive suspensions) are a part of dealing out punishment.

Again, doesn’t this seem like common sense?
I actually like Colin Campbell and think he has an awful job that is very difficult. That being said, my problem with his statements is that they are wishy washy. He says punching someone in the head with a glove/stick is bullying, but then says that Cammaleri is not guilty of bullying even though he just did what Colin says is bullying. WIlson is right to push him on this issue. Campbell hems and haws trying to explain what he means but never comes up with a solid definition. Campbell needed to stop and think about what he was saying. As it is it comes off as COMPLETELY subjective, which is usually a complaint made against these decisions. He should come out and say clearly "This is how we assess giving of suspensions." Instead he says things like, "Look this guy is trying to send a message, this guy is not really trying to send a message because his team was even strength at the time." What the heck is that? How do you know he is not sending a message? Just because it was even strength?

The problem is that Colin comes off unprepared. He does not do a good job explaining. Someone in his position you would expect to have a good response instead of "Look, it's Carcillo, he is doing something dumb. Cammaleri, well, come on, I mean, it's Cammaleri, the game is tied. You're telling me it's the same as Carcillo?" It comes off childish and defensive.

You say he comes off clearly against Bullying when the game is decided; if only he did say as much. I think that might be what he meant to say, but he actually says Cammaleri is not bullying. WHat does hitting someone in the head mean then? As it is, he just gives fodder for those who say that he is inconsistent.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 04:31 PM
  #47
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?
 
Pantokrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Semmes, Alabama
Country: Guatemala
Posts: 4,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
The standards should apply when penalizing an act whether it's committed by Dan Carcillo with six seconds left in the 3rd period, or Simon Gagne with eight minutes left in the 2nd period. If the NHL was serious about the health and safety of its players, there would be no double standard.

You are absolutely on the mark here.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 04:32 PM
  #48
psu711
Registered User
 
psu711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Allentown
Country: United States
Posts: 483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
If this was the standard, why were there no suspensions after the second game of both the Blues/Canucks series and the Habs/Bruins series?

It's not the bullying that's earning suspenions, it's the bully. If the bully has a reputation for toeing the line, he's getting suspended. Carcillo and Lucic were suspended based on who they were.

Bieksa, Crombeen, Komisarek, Lapierre and Kostopoulos all could have been suspended for 'bullying after the game had been determined.'

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Colin Campbell is a disgrace to the NHL and the position he holds. The standards should apply when penalizing an act whether it's committed by Dan Carcillo with six seconds left in the 3rd period, or Simon Gagne with eight minutes left in the 2nd period. If the NHL was serious about the health and safety of its players, there would be no double standard.

On a related note, knowing how the league will treat Dan Carcillo going forward, I'm even more angry that the Flyers acquired him. Every move he makes will be scrutinized and the Flyers will continue to have difficulty earning the gray area calls.
I do agree in the simple concept that the act of "x" should result in the punishment of "y" no matter the time, the player, etc... The problem is this is the real world...

It is no different in other sports, in school/college, in politics or in the professional workplace. When you get a reputation for doing something you will be unfairly treated and judged. Sure in a perfect world this wouldn't exist, but unfortunately we aren’t there yet.

It isnt just the flyers that have to deal with this, but as you mentioned in the last part of your post, constantly acquiring players that fit into this stereotype isnt going to help break the trend.

psu711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 04:32 PM
  #49
Miss Mess
Registered User
 
Miss Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 4,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ
I think the Flyers have gotten repeatedly screwed during the playoffs via the officiating.

It's really disgraceful...hockey games are tough enough to win without having the refs operating off of two different sets of standards.

You guys deserve better- just wanted to post that.


I cracked up when someone on a different board said, "and yet people wonder why Flyers fans feel like red-headed step children?" It's so true, how sad.

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 04:35 PM
  #50
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
The problem is that Colin comes off unprepared. He does not do a good job explaining. Someone in his position you would expect to have a good response instead of "Look, it's Carcillo, he is doing something dumb. Cammaleri, well, come on, I mean, it's Cammaleri, the game is tied. You're telling me it's the same as Carcillo?" It comes off childish and defensive.
It isn't that he's unprepared...he's been doing this job long enough that no preparation should be necessary. The problem for him is that their policy for determining suspensions is ridiculous. Therefore, when he's sitting there trying to explain it he sounds ridiculous.

This is why the "ivory tower" statement is actually so relevant. As long as they get to have all their dialogue internal, they don't get called on their crap. The teams and players are BENEATH Campbell and the league, so they can't call them on their crap. The more they go out and face actual people questioning the more the holes in the policy are going to be jammed in their face.

Quote:
You say he comes off clearly against Bullying when the game is decided; if only he did say as much. I think that might be what he meant to say, but he actually says Cammaleri is not bullying. WHat does hitting someone in the head mean then? As it is, he just gives fodder for those who say that he is inconsistent.
It's all subjective...whether he likes the player or not, or whether he thinks the player is a "bully" or not.

And that interview is merely a product of their inconsistency...which isn't really inconsistency. They're pretty consistent in their "inconsistency" and he outlined it right there. There are different "measuring sticks" for different players.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.