HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

If not Gainey as GM then who?

Old
04-20-2009, 10:51 AM
DougHarvey

vCash: 500
I dont think he is going anywhere , because quit/resign is not part of his vocabulary.The only way would be he gets fired and I would rather Boivin leave first.

If indeed , they do let him go I would honestly not mind seeing Pierre McGuire take over. At the very least , he is a great judge of young talent (no matter what anyone says). Just watch him on draft weekend and then go back.

He never said Price was bad , just thought he was picked too soon.

DougHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 10:57 AM
Domenic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Since 21 year old Carey Price as been deemed a bust by so many here he will pull a Garth Snow,retire and start his new career as the new Habs GM since he as no future as an NHL goalie according to some here.....
LOLL!

Domenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 11:35 AM
Subban Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I really hope you are not serious.That guy is totally lost and if we would become the Habs GM it will be the peanut era all over again
I was just throwing names for discussion...

Subban Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 11:41 AM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

If Gainey doesn't want to do it anymore, then Risebrough.

Otherwise he's fine, not the greatest, just fine.

He needs better scouts that's for sure.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 11:43 AM
CanadienErrant*

Lemaire ?

or the new owner, Savard

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komi#1 View Post
I was just throwing names for discussion...
Ok,but please don't ever mention him again

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
If Gainey doesn't want to do it anymore, then Risebrough.

Otherwise he's fine, not the greatest, just fine.

He needs better scouts that's for sure.
Especially for the Q !

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 11:58 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB11 View Post
A new GM is the LAST thing on my wish list. Blame him all you want, Gainey's done a good job with the Habs and will comtinue to do so next season.
Agreed. Gainey can't account for injuries. Not only that but I can't really hold him accountable for making a team based on what he was being told the "new" post lockout NHL would be like, only for it to all have been BS. Smaller players still get pushed around like nothing and few penalties are ever handed out over it. To me the increase in penalties has done nothing. Either you call barely anything or you call everything, none of this in between ********.

Gainey built this team because of the false promises of the NHL that smaller players would be in an advantageous position due to the penalties which are supposed to be called which never are, I can't really blame Gainey for his effort, he made smart choices but the NHL imo didn't hold their end of the agreement really. All the officiating has just been damn terrible since the lockout, its worse now then it ever was.

People get called all the time for stupid things but get let off on major things time and time again, it's stupid. The new NHL was supposed to cater to fast, smaller, non-physical players who are purely talented. It however, does not cater at all to those players and come playoff time, the officiating is just brutal, and as always nothing gets called cause it's the playoffs.

To blame Gainey for not having the forsight of knowing this was all complete ******** is ridiculous.

Gainey put together a great team and injuries folded this team, as a result of the fact that no penalties for blatent attempts to injure, blatent attacks on our players, ever seem to merit a penalty and as a result players seem to be playing more physical then ever. They've cut down on the hooking/slashing a little bit but that's really about it. Old NHL FTW.

I don't blame Gainey cause he put together a solid team and because we were smaller then most players blatently played a more physical game against us as a result. Remember the Carolina game? We took 11 penalties and they took like 2 match penalties? Give me a break, I remember Carolina should've had an equal number of penalties and didn't.

Also I'd like to add that in these playoffs I've found a lot of the games I see the refs cater to the home team for some reason, almost like its their job to give the home team the benefit of the doubt more often. Obviously I'm not trying to say this is some sort of conspiracy but I just find more often then not I see this in games.

Bottom line is though aside from all my playoff bickering, Gainey made a good team, drafted some good players, and some of those players need to try a little bit more, and of the good players he signed some of them have gotten injuries. It's mostly stuff outside of gaineys hands. I don't want to blame Gainey becuase if he had better options as a GM he would've taken them.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 12:01 PM
danyhabsfan

If Jacques Martin is fired?

any interest?

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 12:02 PM
DirtyJeeves

Send a message via AIM to DirtyJeeves
POLLOCK

DirtyJeeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 12:05 PM
DougHarvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJeeves View Post
POLLOCK

Dig him up. He'd do better than half the names on here.

DougHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 12:06 PM
Templeton

Carbonneau, FTW!!!

Templeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 01:19 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
My problem with letting both go, was not getting something in return. And yes, I wasn't a huge Streit fan (great memory btw) but I did enjoy his PP production.
Well, let's identify if this was really a fault on Gainey's part:

Souray walked when the team had a chance at making the playoffs. I stated at that point and maintain today that the team had no business dealing Souray since the playoffs were within reach. Furthermore, I maintain that no Western club needed Souray at that point. He would have been a luxury at best.

Dealing Rivet was a possibility because he didn't fit in Montreal.

Now Souray's departure proved to be harmless with the emergence of Streit. Streit has significant shortcomings defensively. I liked him more than most on this forum on the blueline, but I know that when forechecked hard, he coughs up the puck. I'm convinced that his success on the Island would not have been paralleled here, as his role within the club and the pressure, as well as the tactics used by opposing teams are entirely different situations. The fact is that Montreal saw first-hand that Streit succumbed to forechecking pressure, and that he had issues containing large opposing forwards.

I liked Streit and I would have kept him as a utility player, but not for the type of cash nor assurances he wanted in a contract.

And we see that Streit's presence has been offset by Schneider, who, in my opinion, is a much better player than Streit at this point in time.

Given the acquisition of Schneider, and given the dollar and length of contract Streit required along with a guarantee of a blueline spot, I do not feel Gainey made a mistake in letting Streit walk. And Souray walking, especially at that dollar value, is no loss. This is coming from a Souray and Streit fan, for whatever that's worth.

Quote:
I'm shocked you say he's been fine. He is an incredible liability on the ice and ties up a huge part of the salary that left BG with no room to play with on the back end. He signed a player nobody would dare take in a trade and who's numbers are years behind him.
Why do you feel he is such a liability? In his first year here, I was surprised with how effective he was. As I stated, I find him having a rough go out there since Christmas or so, but have otherwise found him to be capable of logging big minutes, has a good enough first pass, skates with the puck, moves it quickly. He doesn't balk on passes and slow things down--a problem Montreal suffered in the past, specifically with Rivet and Souray--instead, Hamrlik contributes to a faster transition game.

Defensively, I've found him to be inconsistent, but largely fair. I think he's asked to play a larger role than he ought to be playing. I believe he's best suited for a #3 role, but he's been Montreal's #2 behind Markov.

I don't think his salary has handcuffed Montreal at all. If it had handcuffed Montreal, then why was the team able to acquire Schneider? Or Lang? or Tanguay? And all the while keep Brisebois, Dandenault, Bouillon.

Quote:
It does reflect his character though, and thats something this team needs from the top through the bottom. BG went from praising a man to canning him in a matter of days. So either he's a liar, or has no idea what he's doing or what he wants.
Or there's more to the story than we're privvy to. Gainey's made a playing and post-playing career out of his character, so I find it wrong to jump to conclusions based on one action, ignoring decades of actions to the contrary.

Quote:
I would have never let him have Price move forward without a veteran, it made no sense at all. Trade Huet, fine, bring back someone to help this kid along. Get some defense to help Price learn the game, some leadership on the blueline.
I wouldn't disagree with this.

My contention would be that Halak is talented and a potential trade chip. He's proven to be beyond the AHL, so what to do with him?

I keep Halak, but I think a #4 defenseman would have been good. I think Gorges is a good #5 and you keep Bouillon or Brisebois for that #6 role, then you acquire a #4 earlier on in the year. Schneider fits that role fine. In my view, Markov, Komisarek, Hamrlik, Schneider is a good top four, and having Gorges and one of the aforementioned round that out is sufficient.

Quote:
Wait and see how many are returning after this disaster of a year and after BG has built a club with no direction. If I'm wrong, I'll eat my words, but I don't see many wanting to sign here in the atmosphere the Bob has created.
How many do you want to return after this performance, though? That may be the point: pure honesty, everything above board.

Why do you dislike Timmins?

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 01:47 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
I think Gainey should be judged on his plan this summer. If we lose Komisarek for instance, that's a big no-no. Parting ways with kovalev and such, I can understand but IMO gainey should get tanguay and komisarek signed for sure. Upgrade on Plek, keep koivu and kovalev(if they take discounts, the cap isnt going up and they arent getting younger), see what keeping lang and schneider would take(again, at discount prices I hope).

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 01:47 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
My problem with letting both go, was not getting something in return. And yes, I wasn't a huge Streit fan (great memory btw) but I did enjoy his PP production.
Oh, I see. So your suggestion would be last year, at the trade deadline, with the team battling for first place in the conference and boasting the number one powerplay in the league, was to have Gainey trade Mark Streit away at the trade deadline in order to get something for him?

Really?

You think that's a good idea? Or are you just complaining for the sake of complaining and hoping nobody would point out how truly stupid the alternative to letting him walk away would have been?

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 01:50 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I'm looking for a big turn around next season
New Coach, New GM, New President (**** you, Pierre Boivin), new goaltending coach and a boat load of new players.
Perhaps a new philosophy installed that's not based on skill and speed but based on being the best hockey team. Individual skills are great but in the end you win with players who leave it all on the ice every shift.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 01:51 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Agreed. Gainey can't account for injuries. Not only that but I can't really hold him accountable for making a team based on what he was being told the "new" post lockout NHL would be like, only for it to all have been BS. Smaller players still get pushed around like nothing and few penalties are ever handed out over it. To me the increase in penalties has done nothing. Either you call barely anything or you call everything, none of this in between ********.

Gainey built this team because of the false promises of the NHL that smaller players would be in an advantageous position due to the penalties which are supposed to be called which never are, I can't really blame Gainey for his effort, he made smart choices but the NHL imo didn't hold their end of the agreement really. All the officiating has just been damn terrible since the lockout, its worse now then it ever was.

People get called all the time for stupid things but get let off on major things time and time again, it's stupid. The new NHL was supposed to cater to fast, smaller, non-physical players who are purely talented. It however, does not cater at all to those players and come playoff time, the officiating is just brutal, and as always nothing gets called cause it's the playoffs.
I think the problems with the Refereeing started when they decided to put 2 Refs instead of 1.

Now you have 2 clowns officiating a game differently at the same time. It did get a little better over the years, but it's still bad.
It just kills me to see a penalty that happened almost behind the net on the boards, called by the ref at the middle of the ice while the one close to the action calls nothing.

I understand they can't perfectly ref a game, that's impossible. But going back to the 1 Ref system would make the refereeing more consistent imo.

As for Gainey, I think he's done a great job so far and I seriously doubt he'd leave the team in this condition.
You have an owner that might sell or be looking for minor investors that would have to stress over getting a new GM.
You have around 10spots to fill during the off season.
You have a new coach to find, that according to the media must speak french.

Talk about getting a work load. Not only that, but the new GM would have to be able to cope with all the media circus/attention in Mtl where every single one of his moves will be analyzed (and always criticized by some).

I don't think Bob can leave. Some view it as an advantage, having some many empty spots to fill for a new GM. I don't agree. The new GM wouldn't even have time to settle in and get to know his surroundings, he'd have to get to work right away and this might lead to bad moves.

I'm sure Gainey will stay.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 01:52 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
I would have never let him have Price move forward without a veteran, it made no sense at all. Trade Huet, fine, bring back someone to help this kid along. Get some defense to help Price learn the game, some leadership on the blueline.
Ah, I see. So he's a lousy GM cause he let Mark Streit walk and didn't get anything for him and he's a lousy GM cause he traded Huet at the deadline for a draft pick instead of letting him walk and getting nothing for him.

What difference, I have to ask, would it have made if Johan Hedberg or Olaf Kolzig or someone of that ilk were on the bench watching Carey Price play?

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 01:55 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
New Coach, New GM, New President (**** you, Pierre Boivin), new goaltending coach and a boat load of new players.
Perhaps a new philosophy installed that's not based on skill and speed but based on being the best hockey team. Individual skills are great but in the end you win with players who leave it all on the ice every shift.
New owner?
10 new players too?

Sounds a lot like what TB did this year. No thanks.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 01:57 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
New owner?
10 new players too?

Sounds a lot like what TB did this year. No thanks.
You don't honestly expect all our UFA's to stay do you?
And no, I love Gillette as an owner, not a new owner. New President though. Pierre Boivin says the wrong things all the time.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 04:06 PM
DaHabMan

steve yzerman

DaHabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 05:17 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Especially for the Q !
Better scouts everywhere IMHO. I hate seeing a lot of this team draftees look like favors mostly and on the other hand being told they're just late boomers.

Not liking the raving fan base over hyping our farm like the next best thing sliced bread also.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 08:43 PM
rick1042

"If" Gainey decided to go, maybe Bobby Smith could be a viable candidate? I think he had done a decent job in Phoenix.

rick1042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 08:50 PM
Owen Wilson

Send a message via AIM to Owen Wilson Send a message via MSN to Owen Wilson
There is no other "viable" candidate

No one out there brings the professionalism, respect and calmness that Gainey brings.

People can ***** all they want, but you're not gonna win games without 4 of your top 7 D and 2 of your top 6 forwards...it's as simple as that...can't fault Gainey for injuries

Owen Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 08:51 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I like this plan... It's radical but it's what we need. A new philosophy, from top to bottom. We need something new.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote