HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECQ, Episode III, Revenge of the Failboat

Old
04-20-2009, 01:46 PM
dmonk
doughberle

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Perhaps they should sit Babchuk tomorrow and let Seidenberg to play.

Babchuk's main threat is effectively disabled by Devils and Seidenberg could be a better option when you compare what's left.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 01:47 PM
Clark Gillies
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesnecu View Post
Maybe Joni shouldnt be playing all those minutes?

Joni has been the only defenseman that has to some degree handled getting the puck out of our own zone against the forecheck. Without Joni playing those minutes given our current defensemen on the roster the Devils probably have even more puck possession in our zone and as a result more scoring ops and goals.

I am not saying he has to any extent played his best or sound positionally on defense this series. - Noone has not even Gleason. But as far as puckhandling in our own zone everyone else has been horrific.

Personally - I would bring back Seidenberg for game 4 and sit Kabs, though I wouldn't argue if it was Nic that took the bench.

Like it or not this team NEEDS Joni and Corvo to succeed, if either of them falter too much so will the team.

Clark Gillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 02:09 PM
canesnecu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Gillies View Post
Joni has been the only defenseman that has to some degree handled getting the puck out of our own zone against the forecheck. Without Joni playing those minutes given our current defensemen on the roster the Devils probably have even more puck possession in our zone and as a result more scoring ops and goals.

I am not saying he has to any extent played his best or sound positionally on defense this series. - Noone has not even Gleason. But as far as puckhandling in our own zone everyone else has been horrific.

Personally - I would bring back Seidenberg for game 4 and sit Kabs, though I wouldn't argue if it was Nic that took the bench.

Like it or not this team NEEDS Joni and Corvo to succeed, if either of them falter too much so will the team.
The puckhandling in our own zone has been horrific by almost every player at one point or another. Brind'Amour being the worst offenders at times. Brind'Amour is playing hard but at times is looking like the Brindy of the 1st half taking lazy penalties and giving the puck away.

Joni and Corvo arent succeeding because theyre being smothered by Devils. Joni's game is to have freedom to roam the ice and create his own space but the only thing the devils are allowing him is to get pissed off and bait him into pissing matches along the boards. COrvo is getting slaughtered from every direction so much that he's coughing up pucks before even getting pressured.

Our best defense right now is one that can stand up against the devils and take back the neutral zone. Without it, joni and Corvo might as well stay in the locker room where they can be just as effective.

Anyone know why Seidenberg was odd man out anyway? He can do what Kabs can and can hit too. Unless Mo was worried about stupid penalties. You want Wallin to sit out so who you got thats going to battle the boards behind Ward when the Devils forecheckers are pressuring? Kaberle? Pitkanen? Corvo? Babchuk? Gleason cant be out there every shift and none of the other guys are willing to pay the price.

This team's success isnt dependent on Corvo and Pitkanen, its dependant on the top line producing and Ward stopping pucks. Ward's keeping up his end of the bargain, where's Staal Cole and Ruutu?

canesnecu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 02:49 PM
canesnecu

Here ya go:

From Branecky's blog: While shutting down the Devils’ top unit will undoubtedly be a team effort, Maurice said the coaching staff will consider making a lineup change on the defensive end. Dennis Seidenberg, a reliable shot-blocker, has been a healthy scratch for each of the last two games.

“We’ve got seven healthy defensemen, and we believe in all of them,” said Maurice. “We’ll look at that for tomorrow, as we do after every game.”

Looks like Seids is in, but who's out?

http://forums.carolinahurricanes.com...0&#entry262499

Old
04-20-2009, 02:53 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn Smythe View Post

Is it Ray Whitney's fault? In my opinion no. It all started and would never have happened had Joe Corvo cleared the puck the way a puck should be cleared.
That goal isnt Whitney's fault at all, it's 100% on Corvo. He broke a few cardinal rules on one play there. Not to mention, imagine if you're Whitney and there's 10 seconds left in the period. The last thing you're probably expecting is Corvo going right up the middle with the puck with Gionta in the gap, so I'm sure he was taken by surprise. And then Gionta made a pretty sick move around Whitney, which was just a nice play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesnecu View Post
Even with the epic ref suckage, the canes hung in there and the only reason they lost in OT was cuz Mo had a brain lapse and put Pitkanen in there.
I dont see how you think it was a poorly officiated game. There were only a few bad calls last night IMO, but it was one for each team (and as long as the penalties even out, it's in the Canes advantage to have a lot of penalties in a game). In terms of "today's NHL", where crappy officiating is the norm, I think last night was about as good as it gets.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 02:55 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

Take Kaberle back out, and put Cullen back on the point on the powerplay please.

04-20-2009, 03:10 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleCooper View Post
Take Kaberle back out, and put Cullen back on the point on the powerplay please.
Couldn't agree more. Still, if the reason why our PP isn't working is because of all the aggressive play of the Devils on the PK (which Maurice claims is the reason), do we really want a forward on the point? Especially when Cullen's got to have a nasty record on allowing SHGs now.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 03:15 PM
canesnecu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
That goal isnt Whitney's fault at all, it's 100% on Corvo. He broke a few cardinal rules on one play there. Not to mention, imagine if you're Whitney and there's 10 seconds left in the period. The last thing you're probably expecting is Corvo going right up the middle with the puck with Gionta in the gap, so I'm sure he was taken by surprise. And then Gionta made a pretty sick move around Whitney, which was just a nice play.
Corvo blew it, I think thats what Conn Smyth was saying too.

Quote:
I dont see how you think it was a poorly officiated game. There were only a few bad calls last night IMO, but it was one for each team (and as long as the penalties even out, it's in the Canes advantage to have a lot of penalties in a game). In terms of "today's NHL", where crappy officiating is the norm, I think last night was about as good as it gets.
Its not always about the amount of taken being even for both sides. It more about what the calls are for and whne they're being called. I didnt say that was why the Canes lost but it seemed like every time we got some momentum, a call was made against us where either if they called it one way they should have called it the other way too. Or in a couple of cases(like Coles), call the matching penalty to keep it even.

Old
04-20-2009, 03:32 PM
Skydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Couldn't agree more. Still, if the reason why our PP isn't working is because of all the aggressive play of the Devils on the PK (which Maurice claims is the reason), do we really want a forward on the point? Especially when Cullen's got to have a nasty record on allowing SHGs now.
I think you nailed why Cullen is not at the point.

Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 04:14 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

vCash: 50
Also, Cullen likely isn't 100%. Remember what happened against Florida where Dvorak blew by Cullen to score that back-breaking SHG in Game 82 last year?

Still, there's one change I'd like to see on the powerplay: Cole out, Jokinen in. Cole has been absolutely useless on the powerplay. He has 0 goals and 2 assists in 20 games there while often getting top unit PP time. That's just sad. And if we're looking to reward players who have played well, maybe we should give Eaves a shot there. He's a RH shot and has a good wrister. Anything but Cole, please.

Kaberle has played well and should stay in the lineup (just not on the PP). Wallin should sit and Seidenberg should be in. Seidenberg is just as willing to play the body as Wallin...the only difference is Seidenberg can actually catch up to his opponents to hit them.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 05:01 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Cole's problem on the powerplay is that he treats it like even strength. When he's pressured, instead of giving the puck away he allows himself to get pinned against the boards. The powerplay is all about quick puck movement and quick decisions, and Cole is a black hole in that regard. Any offensive situation that doesn't require him to bury his head and go to the net is a foreign concept to him. I said it when he was first picked up and i'll say it again, Jokinen NEEDS powerplay time to be effective. Make the switch.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 05:43 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

That cough up by Corvo was one of the worst plays I have seen in the playoffs... It is the type of play that costs you more than a game... It can cost you a series in the long run... If he doesn't cough that up, we are up 2-1.

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 05:43 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
Perhaps they should sit Babchuk tomorrow and let Seidenberg to play.

Babchuk's main threat is effectively disabled by Devils and Seidenberg could be a better option when you compare what's left.
Why take Babchuk out over Kaberle? I wouldn't give up on Babchuk yet this series. He hasn't looked that bad, IMO. Kaberle on the other hand has been pretty much invisible and worthless. If we insert Seidenberg we have to take the worst D-man out and that's either Wallin or Kaberle, but I'd prefer Kaberle. He's done nothing to warrant staying in over Seidenberg.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 05:44 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Is Babchuk even playing in this series, I hadn't noticed

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 07:18 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Luke stole my idea. Read the rest of the blog here

Quote:
5. Get Dennis Seidenberg back in. If Anton Babchuk's not going to get the opportunity to shoot the puck on the power play, and the Devils have so far taken that away, then there's no reason to put up with his defensive errors when a resolute shot-blocker like Seidenberg is available.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 07:28 PM
canesnecu

Quote:
Finally, the voice of reason, and from Chip. Who wouldve thunk?

LOL edit= it wasnt Chip, it was Luke.

Last edited by canesnecu: 04-20-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old
04-20-2009, 07:37 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Also, note the lack of "OMGZ! TAKE THE BODY!?!!", from Luke as well. We don't have the horses to run that style of game.

Old
04-20-2009, 07:38 PM
canesnecu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Also, note the lack of "OMGZ! TAKE THE BODY!?!!", from Luke as well. We don't have the horses to run that style of game.
Theres definately a way to play agressive without just banging bodies. ALthough they will have to bang some bodies.

Old
04-20-2009, 07:49 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Babchuk has still been better than Kaberle. Kaberle just logs less minutes so it's not as obvious. I think it's a no brainer to sit Kaberle if you're going to insert Seidenberg back in the line up. Just because Babchuk has had a less than stellar start doesn't mean you just sit him. Kaberle is absolutely worthless, at least Babs has skill and isn't afraid to take a hit.

I think most are overstating his defensive blunders just because he has been horrid on the PP.. but it's not his fault Maurice and co. can't and refuse to change their strategy there. If we sit Babchuk for his defense, why not sit Corvo since he's basically the reason we lost last night plus he's been just as bad on the PP.

Seidenberg hasn't exactly been great either so I'm not sure he would be any better logging Babchuk's minutes, but I wouldn't mind him on the 3rd pairing with Wallin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Not sure why you're still harping on this. No one has said we have to be an uber physical team every game, but there's certain plays where you should be physical. Whitney letting little Gionta blow by him without even trying to touch him is one and Pitkanen not clearing the front of the net on the game winner like defenseman are supposed to is the other. Those are only two plays we could have stood to be more physical.. like I said it's not like we're wanting them to be the Flyers or something.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 07:59 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleCooper View Post
During MM's live chat he was asked why Cullen hasn't been out on the PP. He said that the ankle isn't 100% and they're afraid if the puck gets past him he won't be able to get back in time. In other words, the ankle ain't healed and they are worried about shorties.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caner Soze View Post

Not sure why you're still harping on this. No one has said we have to be an uber physical team every game, but there's certain plays where you should be physical. Whitney letting little Gionta blow by him without even trying to touch him is one and Pitkanen not clearing the front of the net on the game winner like defenseman are supposed to is the other. Those are only two plays we could have stood to be more physical.. like I said it's not like we're wanting them to be the Flyers or something.
I don't consider myself to be harping on it, only proving that a guy that has an opinion that a lot of people on this board respect mentions explicitly that playing the body more isn't tantamount in turning this series back around like many here were trumping after the game. If it was an issue that had to be addressed, then Luke would have addressed it. He's a smart guy and he knows that expecting Whitney to knock somebody off the puck is a hopeless proposition.

As for the second play, there is nothing that being physical could have solved there in terms of how the play developed. The goal scorer was the recipient of a fortuitous bounce that couldn't have been anticipated. Why you single out Pitkanen as the guy that should have stood up is also rather confusing to me. The puck carrier in Parise is as slick as greased owl turd and the players on the ice are not adept enough at playing the body for it to be a realistic option. Additionally, you can't play physical on players that don't have the puck so having Zajac all alone aside of the net was more of a positioning issue than a physicality issue, as i've contended all along. Again though, you can't anticipate bounces off of skates. I wasn't overly concerned about the defensive coverage on the losing goal there. Bounces are bounces. You do what you can to avoid being on the arse end of one but it happens. It could have just as easily been the Devils in the other end.

Old
04-20-2009, 08:05 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

Actually, I think Kaberle has been pretty steady back there and he is reliable. If he is invisible it may be because he is doing the basic things well. Plus, he has been there before - unlike some of these guys.

Another alternative is to keep Babchuk in there and work on some other ways to shake him free, maybe sit one of the others or even play 7 d-men? NJ is clearly concerned about him at the point since they going to some trouble to negate him. I'm not sure who comes out.

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 08:12 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Cane View Post
Actually, I think Kaberle has been pretty steady back there and he is reliable. If he is invisible it may be because he is doing the basic things well. Plus, he has been there before - unlike some of these guys.

Another alternative is to keep Babchuk in there and start finding some ways to shake him free, maybe sit one of the others or even play 7 d-men? I'm not sure who comes out.
Kaberle has been very sound in his own zone. He made a play last night that probably saved a goal when he went down on a knee and blocked a centering pass with his skate and then stood up and sticked the puck away from the attacker on a partial 2 on 1 towards the end of the game. He has been quietly tending house very well. I don't agree with having him on the powerplay, but getting Seidenberg back in the lineup will probably remedy that.

Babchuk has been the 05-06 version in this series thus far. The timidity is back in his game and even Pitkanen isn't enough to calm him with as aggressive as a forecheck as the Devils are throwing our way. He needs to come out of the game because the benefit of having him out is his shot and that is being outweighed by the detriment of having him in considering the Devils PK has taken away the points. He doesn't pass well enough on the powerplay either when the pressure is really in his face.