HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECQF #3 - 04.20.09 | Washington @ NY Rangers | 7:00 PM - MSG (HD), VS (HD)

Old
04-20-2009, 08:54 PM
rosesareredroses

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfans View Post

Come down the side of the ice.
Opponents keep us to the outside.
Attempt to come around with a wraparound and fail.
Now that they have 3-4 guys around the net, we attempt to throw one through only to have it swatted away.
Rinse and repeat for the remainder of the game.
makes my stomach sick. that is spot on though. RIDICULOUS. so sick of it

rosesareredroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 08:55 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

This is a game that you just walk away from and move onto the next one. Its a 7 game series, and anyone that truly thought we'd sweep the Caps was high. They came in and took one back, now its time for us to take control of the series again on Wednesday night. LGR!

MrEctions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 08:56 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

I knew in the back of my mind that the game was over when Callahan couldn't put that rebound home instead of hitting it off the post. Then the Caps go the other way and score 10 seconds later to make it 2-0, which completely took the legs from underneath this team.

Some thoughts:

-Without Henrik in net, this game ends 8-0. The Rangers are fortunate it was only half that.

-I have not seen such an uninspired effort since the Renney era. It honestly looked like every Rangers skater had a lead brick attached to their skates. No forechecking pressure= very small amount of scoring chances.

-Varlamov is a very positionally sound goalie. However, it is apparent the Rangers forgot he's TWENTY years old. 20. That's my age. Avery finally started to get it at the end when he gave him a little bump. He also let out some huge rebounds, but no one was there to put them home. He's beatable guys. We just have to get pucks to the net and guys crashing it to get to the rebounds. It is easy to get into the head of a young goalie, they just have to pressure him.

-The officiating was God awful tonight. Two penalties on Avery in the second period were some of the weakest calls I've ever seen. Really, its playoff hockey, put the whistles in the pockets and let the best 5 v 5 team win. It was flat out disgraceful.

-Zherdev needs to go. He sucks.

I'm sure I'll think of more things later. I'm just so mad and embarrassed right now.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 08:58 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

Not to nitpick too much, but where the hell did Nicky Z go to? He has been putrid for far too long now. Completely ineffective.

MrEctions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 08:59 PM
Garfinkel1

Reality check:We are not good enough to take playoff games off.....

Please make sure to read my final rant before posting.
Discuss the Ranger's game 3 performance.
Reality check:We are not good enough to take playoff games off.....

You could think we are a Stanley Cup contender; You could think we are a first round exit. There is one thing we can all agree on.... If we don't play with everything we have we will not keep up with the Washing Capitols. I think our 2-0 lead got to our players heads and it sucks. This next game could make or break the series. We win, we are up 3-1 and have a tremendous advantage. We lose, we are tied up 2-2 with the Caps having tremendous momentum entering game 5.

We had chances and didn't capitalize. That 2nd goal by Washington right after Cally missed that chance was demoralizing. If Cally scored that goal we were in the game. We would have played harder and maybe we still lose but at least we lose in a win-able game. Those are the type of chances you NEED to capitalize on in the playoffs.

Our power play had chances which is huge after going 0/5 in game two. I think next game we should net at least one if they continue what they did. Overall, I would say our power play was below-average. Hey, that's a huge step up from Abysmal. And I know you guys still remember that not to long ago we were scared to go on the powerplay.

Korpokoski played great and had that breakaway chance pick pocketed from him by Ovie. Great, GREAT play by Ovechkin which prevented what could have been another game-changing goal with a little help from what I would assume was an intense and heavily intoxicated crowd.

Our defense was meh. Unfortunately, meh won't hold the Caps to no or one goal. I don't want to say our offense wasn't there because we had our chances but we couldn't finish....

-Under-performance:
Zherdev - 90% of the game I barley noticed he was on the ice. Lack of confidence might seriously be affecting his game.
Morris - A couple of turnovers, something that we can't have...I don't know why I am singeling him out.
Avery - How many penalties are you going to get? It's not enough that they have the 2nd best powerplay in the league. Grow up OR get off the ice.
Defensive core - Played very loose. Allowed a lot of passes float passed the crease. A couple of which counted as goals. I can think of 3, could have been all 4. Washington's defense did the same but they capitalized and we didn't.

This isn't a thread to complain about the game and the coulda/woulda/shoulda mentality that could be used to make any game look like we coulda/woulda/shoulda won. It's more of my take on the game. My thoughts on the game. And, Hopefully, turns into discussion on what we need to fix, what was fine and what our strength was (Hen-rik! Hen-rik!).

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR censored View Post
Don't apologize. If someone chooses to like an idiot that is all about him than let them look stupid.
Why don't you stop. If a fan here likes Avery it doesn't mean he or she is stupid. You want to pass judgments on Avery, fine. But to make people feel sabotaged into feeling dumb about speaking their minds about a player they enjoy watching is what's stupid. I'm not even just talking about Avery here. I'm talking about any player. For someone to come on here and suggest a person has a low I.Q. for liking and enjoying watching a certain player is prejudgemental and offensive. I'm not just talking about liking Avery. I'm talking about any player.

If the time comes and everyone has to take a Weschler exam than maybe certain people could be weeded out from the boards...until then, if you want to prejudge, fine. If it makes you feel better.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS

Well, going to Game 4 on Wednesday. I'll do my best to cheer them on.

It's pretty much a must win, IMO. If we don't win Game 4, I think we're done.

KotsyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 09:02 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Game 4 is a big one. We dont have to win it, but if we do were in a real good position, we dont and we're in a pretty bad one.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 09:02 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

fire renney !

seriously, awful game.

the pressure was all on them. they played like the desperate team and they were. they lose tonites game and they are done. it goes like that sometimes. they were the better team tonite. its up to us to make some adjustments and win game 4 at home. simple.

we never got anything going tonite but i agree, cally missing that tap in cost us bigtime.

ok, thats over. watch the film. get back to our skating and forecheck gamer and win the next one and we should be in good shape.

2-1 isnt 3-0, but playing at home up 2-1 aint bad.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 09:08 PM
Staalwart

I would not feel good about our chances if we lose game 4

Staalwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 09:09 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Honestly, we had won 5 in a row we were do for a stinker... Nothing went our way tonight but the beautiful thing is we still have a 2-1 series lead. You know torts isn't happy and well play much better wednesday night. We got our stinker outta the way, come back strong wed night, garden has to be loud.. Be confident in them, we can do this. One shift at a time

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 09:10 PM
levski87

Brooksy is so afraid to ask questions.. haha.

Brooks "John I'm Wondering..."
John " You're wondering?"

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 09:11 PM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

yes the avery thing was stupid. but i think he was venting a little because that was just a straight up angry punch and he looked extremely frustrated, as all the rangers should be. hes trying to do his job and it didnt really matter at that point in the game because it was already over.

Ryan McDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 09:13 PM
Staalwart

it's great, he hardly even allows brooks to do his job.

Staalwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 09:15 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Torts basically ripping the defense in his post game: "I think Washington played defense really well and we sucked... we got spanked defensively."

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 09:16 PM
lundy

Just got home from the game, so here are some observations. Granted, they may be a bit diff since I don't have all of the advantages of replay as I would in watching from home. BUT:

-The Caps did exactly to the Rangers tonight what the Rangers did to them the last two games. There were countless blocked shots, and the few chances the Rangers did have, they either missed the net, or Varlamov made a nice save.

-Varlamov looked really solid, obviously. I think it may play to the Rangers benefit that he got a shutout, perhaps some overconfidence.

-Lundqvist also looked great. I guess you can call me a Lundqvist apologist, but none of those 4 were his fault. The Rangers were horrific in covering the trailer, and a few of the goals were scored by wide open players following the play.

-Zherdev does absolutely nothing but dangle and spin, truly a waste of talent so far in this series.

-Avery played a terrible game tonight, but it did seem that a couple of his calls were really really questionable. Seemed to be reputation calls, especailly one of his interference calls where he barely even touched Varlamov.

-And if Avery is going to talk smack to Varlamov, I hope Antropov or Zherdev has taught him some Russian, because I doubt Varlamov could understand anything Avery said to him.

-ALSO, at the end of the game, after the Rangers had left the ice...Ovechkin and Backstrom went to center and saluted. Seemed really really douchy, not sure that was caught by the cameras at all....

-Exciting series, Wed should be good!

lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 09:17 PM
beastly115

Officiating was a joke. No consistency at all.

Knew it was over when Cally couldn't hit the ****ing open net.

Whatever. We're still up 2-1. We need to take the next game.

Drury is obviously still injured. Zherdev has gone invisible.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 09:18 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

levski... I saw that too. Brooksy sounded like a frightened little mouse haha.

Old
04-20-2009, 09:19 PM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post
-ALSO, at the end of the game, after the Rangers had left the ice...Ovechkin and Backstrom went to center and saluted. Seemed really really douchy, not sure that was caught by the cameras at all....
Who are these guys, T.O. clones??? As they say in Italian, disrespettatore!!

GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
showjaxx

I'd love to see the test results of those who chanted his name when he skated off the ice after receiving a game misconduct for punching the opposing goalie in the mask. If anyone wants to root for a player because of their play then fine. If you want to cheer a players name after he scores a goal or makes a great defensive play or a save then fine. But to stand up and chant his name for being a selfish pest then get ready to be ridiculed.

There are people on here that are so in love with the guy that they think both of his punching with his gloves on penalties shouldn't have been called. If that isn't a pretty good indication on someone being stupid then everyone is a genius.

showjaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
I knew in the back of my mind that the game was over when Callahan couldn't put that rebound home instead of hitting it off the post. Then the Caps go the other way and score 10 seconds later to make it 2-0, which completely took the legs from underneath this team.

Some thoughts:

-Without Henrik in net, this game ends 8-0. The Rangers are fortunate it was only half that.

-I have not seen such an uninspired effort since the Renney era. It honestly looked like every Rangers skater had a lead brick attached to their skates. No forechecking pressure= very small amount of scoring chances.

-Varlamov is a very positionally sound goalie. However, it is apparent the Rangers forgot he's TWENTY years old. 20. That's my age. Avery finally started to get it at the end when he gave him a little bump. He also let out some huge rebounds, but no one was there to put them home. He's beatable guys. We just have to get pucks to the net and guys crashing it to get to the rebounds. It is easy to get into the head of a young goalie, they just have to pressure him.

-The officiating was God awful tonight. Two penalties on Avery in the second period were some of the weakest calls I've ever seen. Really, its playoff hockey, put the whistles in the pockets and let the best 5 v 5 team win. It was flat out disgraceful.

-Zherdev needs to go. He sucks.

I'm sure I'll think of more things later. I'm just so mad and embarrassed right now.
sadly. i. agree.

i am officially off the zherdev bandwagon. unless hes hurt, then hes weak and not stepping up in the playoffs shows me hes not entitled to a big payday.

hes slowly making me believe that we would be better off without him with a 3 yr contract when we can let him walk, take some picks and rely on antro to replace his production. use his money to resign morris. let rozy go and make a play for a goal scorer on draft day. even if it means trading down in the first round or even trading our first rounder i dont care. we need help now scoring goals.

WE NEED A FRIGGIN GOAL SCORER and im sorry but zherdev is not the answer.

im starting to think in terms of life without zherdev as long as torts is the manager of this team. either he signs at a substantial discount or use his money we save to sign morris and use rozys money to go after a goal scorer who can help now. thats my wish.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 09:21 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

It's funny how similar this GDT is to so many of our regular season GDT's. The Rangers get shutout by a backup and the main culprit is Nikolai Zherdev. Nevermind that Scott Gomez, Chris Drury, Sean Avery, Ryan Callahan, Nik Antropov, Brandon Dubinsky or anyone else on the team was completely unable to produce anything offensively. We got shutout because Zherdev is lazy.

Old
04-20-2009, 09:26 PM
Ice Hockey

we were asleep and this was an embarrassment. to be a fly on the wall of their locker room when torts is ripping into them for being soft pansies.

Ice Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 09:26 PM
trilobyte

Torts said it right. Not going to whine about penalties, cause "we stunk"

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 09:27 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

If you didn't notice Nik Zherdev on the ice 90 % of the time than Drury, Gomez, Antropov and Dubi must have been teleported to another universe because they were all every bit as ineffective as Zherdev was.