HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECQF #3 - 04.20.09 | Washington @ NY Rangers | 7:00 PM - MSG (HD), VS (HD)

Old
04-20-2009, 09:29 PM
OverTheCap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staalwart View Post
You can't honestly feel that the fans at the game tonight were in anyway good or provided the team with any type of advantage coming Home.
I was at the game tonight, the crowd was fine. It's hard to be enthusiastic when your team never has a lead, let alone scores a goal. The game was frustrating to watch, but the crowd was loudest when our best player did well: Lundqvist was outstanding and everyone gave him a standing ovation after a great save sequence in the 2nd.

Like someone else said, buy a ticket for the next game before you start criticizing the fans who were there.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 09:30 PM
nyrfan519

I certainly didn't see laziness or a lack of effort by Zherdev tonight. He's just going through a prolonged slump and seems to be lacking confidence.

nyrfan519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 09:32 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Rangers are dunzo...over achievers who have peaked

they wont win another game this season

Caps in 6

04-20-2009, 09:33 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyZ View Post
If you didn't notice Nik Zherdev on the ice 90 % of the time than Drury, Gomez, Antropov and Dubi must have been teleported to another universe because they were all every bit as ineffective as Zherdev was.
I noticed all of those players and I only watched half the game. The only player besides Z I didn't notice much was Drury who is obviously still injured.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 09:33 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post
-ALSO, at the end of the game, after the Rangers had left the ice...Ovechkin and Backstrom went to center and saluted. Seemed really really douchy, not sure that was caught by the cameras at all....
I noticed that as well, that chest bump they did at center ice. If they want to showboat, they should do it at their own arena and not at the Garden. Hilarious how the entire crowd booed them for that.

Old
04-20-2009, 09:34 PM
Onion Boy

Zherdev was definitely noticeable tonight. His blind drop passes at the blueline getting picked off for odd man rushes against couldn't be missed.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
I noticed all of those players and I only watched half the game. The only player besides Z I didn't notice much was Drury who is obviously still injured.
Noticed them... doing what exactly? Judging by the final score I don't think any of them actually put the puck in the net...

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SML

the sky is falling! the sky is falling! omg! we're not going to shut out everyone and sweep our way to a cup!

chill the ******* out.

if we had gotten a split in their building and won this game, we'd be talking about being in the drivers seat. this game is over, the next one means everything. the boys up front better start manufacturing some goals or we're in some trouble...

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 09:36 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

The thundersticks is what made us lose. Good job MSG.

Thankfully the towel will be back on Wednesday, i fully expect a W because of that.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
beastly115

Quote:
Noticed them... doing what exactly? Judging by the final score I don't think any of them actually put the puck in the net...
By that logic I didn't notice anyone on the Rangers.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Staalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I was at the game tonight, the crowd was fine. It's hard to be enthusiastic when your team never has a lead, let alone scores a goal. The game was frustrating to watch, but the crowd was loudest when our best player did well: Lundqvist was outstanding and everyone gave him a standing ovation after a great save sequence in the 2nd.

Like someone else said, buy a ticket for the next game before you start criticizing the fans who were there.
I said before that I didn't even think about the fact that MSG turns the crowd volume down, and my issue wasn't with the crowd volume so much as it is they were so much quicker to boo and throw things on the ice than they were to try and pump the team up.

As I said, I make no excuses for their play as they don't deserve any excuses, but booing and throwing things on the ice is hardly how your home crowd should react after 1 home playoff game. Did the team suck tonight? Sure. but they are still up 2-1 and trying to get them pumped is a hell of a lot more useful going forward than booing them and throwing things on the ice.
I also fail to see why not being at tonight's game begrudges me the right to voice my opinion. Not being there tonight does not make me any less of a fan than you or anyone else and it also doesn't mean that I don't go to my fair share of games. This board is for discussion and voicing opinions which is all I was doing. I even admitted that I could have been wrong about some aspects of the crowd

Last edited by Staalwart: 04-20-2009 at 09:42 PM.
Staalwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 09:37 PM
Ryan McDonut
Resign Glass

Quote:
It's funny how similar this GDT is to so many of our regular season GDT's. The Rangers get shutout by a backup and the main culprit is Nikolai Zherdev. Nevermind that Scott Gomez, Chris Drury, Sean Avery, Ryan Callahan, Nik Antropov, Brandon Dubinsky or anyone else on the team was completely unable to produce anything offensively. We got shutout because Zherdev is lazy.
agreed. im not getting off the zherdev bandwagon until we are out of the playoffs. he could turn it around and play amazing and then we all look like idiots for losing faith in him. i just feel like thats not going to happen though.

Ryan McDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 09:38 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
By that logic I didn't notice anyone on the Rangers.

By that logic everyone on the Rangers played equally bad. Don't single out one player and blame him for that 0 on the scoreboard. Zherdev was just as effective as all the other forwards on the team in that he was completely ineffective.

Old
04-20-2009, 09:41 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I noticed that as well, that chest bump they did at center ice. If they want to showboat, they should do it at their own arena and not at the Garden. Hilarious how the entire crowd booed them for that.
The Caps squad is full of clowns. I can see Avery or Ruutu doing something so dumb, but Ovechkin has an A on his sweater... grow the hell up. The guy has no humility whatsoever... I'd be embarrased if I was his teammate and saw him do that, especially if my team was still trailing in the series 2-1

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 09:43 PM
OverTheCap

Oh really, we aren't good enough to just coast by?

This is why I thought the "we will be in the ECF" and "Glen Sather is a mastermind GM" threads were a bit premature, we know how inconsistent this team is. They look like Cup contenders one day and bottom dwellers the next.

I agree with the sentiment about Zherdev: too many fancy little dipsy doodles that were broken up every damn time. He needs to keep it simple, especially in the playoffs.

Mara and Morris were horrible, they looked absolutely clueless out there during the 3rd goal. I know a lot of people like Mara because of his physical play, but he is just not a good defenseman. With Gilroy signed, I have a feeling both of these guys won't be back next year, which may actually help our defense.

Antropov needs to assert himself and use his size.

Like clockwork, Girardi's shots get blocked everytime. Schoeny or Torts needs to teach him to select his shots better.

Rozy refuses to shoot, but what else is new.

The only positives of this game were Lundqvist's play, and Staal had a few blistering hits on Ovechkin. Everyone else on the team.... please just get your head out of your ***** for the next game.

Old
04-20-2009, 09:44 PM
Turambar

It's one game. Christ. No team wins 16 straight games, and it's good to face some adversity early. If we cannot overcome it, we don't deserve to overcome it.

We still have the advantage, and now the Caps will get overcocky again, with the shutout/blowout win, and the Rangers will take advantage like they did before.

The fair-weather fans are really starting to show their colors.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 09:44 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
It's funny how similar this GDT is to so many of our regular season GDT's. The Rangers get shutout by a backup and the main culprit is Nikolai Zherdev. Nevermind that Scott Gomez, Chris Drury, Sean Avery, Ryan Callahan, Nik Antropov, Brandon Dubinsky or anyone else on the team was completely unable to produce anything offensively. We got shutout because Zherdev is lazy.
never said wee got shutout because zherdev anything. i said im starting to lose patience with him and his non production. seems torts is too.

we need zherdev on the score sheet. period. backchecking, dangling and dipsy do moves not withstanding, he still needs to either snipe or setup goals.

hes doing neither. his ice time has been reduced for a reason. torts does not like this kid. im telling you, hes not gonna be a torts player. this is the the friggin playoffs for cryin out loud and torts is playing him 12 minutes average per night.

Nikolai Zherdev 3 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 0 6

thats his playoff line so far.

any questions ??

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 09:48 PM
blue425

Uninspired, sloppy, and lazy.

That about sums up the Rangers tonight.

If they want to win this series then the team that was playing tonight must not rear its ugly head again.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 09:49 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post

we need zherdev on the score sheet. period. backchecking, dangling and dipsy do moves not withstanding, he still needs to either snipe or setup goals.
Only Zherdev? We don't need Antro on the score sheet? Don't need Gomez or Avery or Cally or Dubi or Naslund? Chris Drury?

Zherdev hasn't played well. No one who has been watching the games these past two months can logically disagree with that statement. Yes, he needs to step up. But strictly considering this game tonight I think there were other issues beyond Zherdev's non-performance that could use some mending.

Old
04-20-2009, 09:49 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Just need to come back on Wednesday and make sure the Caps get no momentum. Avery was trying to get into the head of Varlamov towards the end but he needs to calm down and play hockey. I know he is good at agitating but he is just as if not more effective when he is playing hard.

The whole team needed a reality check and tonight was it. Tortorella is not going to let this go by easy as I am sure he was very upset with what happened. I firmly believe that this team can turn it around in time for Wednesday. Everyone just needs to calm down and get ready for Wednesday. We were not sweeping this series.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 09:52 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staalwart View Post
I said before that I didn't even think about the fact that MSG turns the crowd volume down, and my issue wasn't with the crowd volume so much as it is they were so much quicker to boo and throw things on the ice than they were to try and pump the team up.

As I said, I make no excuses for their play as they don't deserve any excuses, but booing and throwing things on the ice is hardly how your home crowd should react after 1 home playoff game. Did the team suck tonight? Sure. but they are still up 2-1 and trying to get them pumped is a hell of a lot more useful going forward than booing them and throwing things on the ice.
I also fail to see why not being at tonight's game begrudges me the right to voice my opinion. Not being there tonight does not make me any less of a fan than you or anyone else and it also doesn't mean that I don't go to my fair share of games. This board is for discussion and voicing opinions which is all I was doing. I even admitted that I could have been wrong about some aspects of the crowd
Your certainly entitled to voice your opinion, I just wanted to give my perspective as someone who was there.

And I totally agree that throwing stuff on the ice is disgusting and unclassy, luckily it was only a small percentage of fans otherwise the ice would be littered with thundersticks.

Unlike other games I've been to at the Garden, I think a lot of the booing was actually directed at the refs and some of the Caps, like Poti, as opposed to to our own team.

I think crowd reaction is reflective of how the team plays, so if the Rangers put up a more consistent attack and got things going offensively, there would have been more cheers.

Old
04-20-2009, 09:56 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Only Zherdev? We don't need Antro on the score sheet? Don't need Gomez or Avery or Cally or Dubi or Naslund? Chris Drury?

Zherdev hasn't played well. No one who has been watching the games these past two months can logically disagree with that statement. Yes, he needs to step up. But strictly considering this game tonight I think there were other issues beyond Zherdev's non-performance that could use some mending.
Markus Naslund 3 1 2 3 1 1 0 0 8 5 20.00 15:23
Scott Gomez 3 1 2 3 -1 0 0 0 2 6 16.67 21:12
Nik Antropov 3 1 1 2 0 1 0 0 2 13 7.69 17:44
Brandon Dubinsky 3 1 1 2 2 0 0 1 0 4 25.00 18:21
Ryan Callahan 3 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 2 6 16.67 20:21

for the record, not blaming niky for tonites loss. not even close. defensively i thought we play poorly. not scoring any goals doesnt help. tonite was very renney like.

these are our goal scorers so far.

those guys have done something. zherdev has done nothing and not just recently, hes been sucking arse for a while now.

the most alarming thing about him is since torts has arrived, hes the only guy i can think of thats regressed. thats scary.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 09:58 PM
peanutbuttacallytime
#therightway

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Just need to come back on Wednesday and make sure the Caps get no momentum. Avery was trying to get into the head of Varlamov towards the end but he needs to calm down and play hockey. I know he is good at agitating but he is just as if not more effective when he is playing hard.

The whole team needed a reality check and tonight was it. Tortorella is not going to let this go by easy as I am sure he was very upset with what happened. I firmly believe that this team can turn it around in time for Wednesday. Everyone just needs to calm down and get ready for Wednesday. We were not sweeping this series.
well said...did anyone here really think we were going to sweep the caps? its all about wednesday.. have a positive day of practice tomorrow, get things set and prepare for a huge game. we can win on wednesday, and if we do we have a much better grip on the series.

sucky night for sure..but we can do this guys, there will be bumps in the roads..but we can do this

peanutbuttacallytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 10:02 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
Markus Naslund 3 1 2 3 1 1 0 0 8 5 20.00 15:23
Scott Gomez 3 1 2 3 -1 0 0 0 2 6 16.67 21:12
Nik Antropov 3 1 1 2 0 1 0 0 2 13 7.69 17:44
Brandon Dubinsky 3 1 1 2 2 0 0 1 0 4 25.00 18:21
Ryan Callahan 3 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 2 6 16.67 20:21

for the record, not blaming niky for tonites loss. not even close. defensively i thought we play poorly. not scoring any goals doesnt help. tonite was very renney like.

these are our goal scorers so far.

those guys have done something. zherdev has done nothing and not just recently, hes been sucking arse for a while now.

the most alarming thing about him is since torts has arrived, hes the only guy i can think of thats regressed. thats scary.
None of those stats are overwhelming in the least.

Antropov a goal and an assist and he's averaging almost 8 minutes more ice time than Zherdev? Is that really a monumental difference?

Brandon Dubinsky a goal and an assist and he also is averaging 7 more minutes of ice time than Zherdev?

Ryan Callahan has one goal in 10 more minutes of average ice time than Zherdev?

Sean Avery 0 points in 6 more minutes of average ice time than Zherdev?

You honestly think that those stats signify dramatically superior performances over Zherdev?

This team still has only scored 1 goal on Varlamov in two games. That is a team wide problem that needs to be remedied. Zherdev is certainly not contributing to the solution but he's not the only one who can benefit from stepping his game up.

Old
04-20-2009, 10:02 PM
peanutbuttacallytime
#therightway

is there any pics/videos of what ovechkin did after the game at center ice?

peanutbuttacallytime is offline   Reply With Quote