HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

If not Gainey as GM then who?

Old
04-20-2009, 09:06 PM
HotPie

vCash: 500
Well this thread pretty much confirms what I expected.

Everyone who wants to get Gainey fired is completely incapable of providing someone who could be a viable replacement, because no such person exists - for the time being anyways.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 09:11 PM
Bermy

It's not Gainey's fault. He can't control injuries or slumps from players

Bermy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 09:12 PM
MTL-rules

I don't care who, but Bob Gainey's time is over.

He took a gamble and lost, it's now time to move on and shake this lineup up.

But, there is some positive.

First, we have a superstar defenceman, now that we are missing him, we can see how great a player he is and how he could very well be considered a top 5 d-man in this league.

Second, the team is in excellent financial situation, so we aren't in the mid-90s anymore.

Thrid, half the team is UFA, so we are not stuck with albatros contracts if we want to make a major shake up. (see Toronto)

Fourth, we have youth to trade to get expensive star players (hope, yet again, to get Vinny... or Kovalchuck or anyone availlable for that matter).

Fifth, we got cap space to sign a guy like Gaborik or Hossa.

MTL-rules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 09:45 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermy View Post
It's not Gainey's fault. He can't control injuries or slumps from players
That's idiotic, he takes the decision when comes time to figure who gets a contract or not. So yes he shares a good deal of responsibility. He should know before hand if a player is a slumping type or prone to injury and If he doesn't he's not doing his job.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 09:59 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
I don't care who, but Bob Gainey's time is over.

He took a gamble and lost, it's now time to move on and shake this lineup up.

But, there is some positive.

First, we have a superstar defenceman, now that we are missing him, we can see how great a player he is and how he could very well be considered a top 5 d-man in this league.

Second, the team is in excellent financial situation, so we aren't in the mid-90s anymore.

Thrid, half the team is UFA, so we are not stuck with albatros contracts if we want to make a major shake up. (see Toronto)

Fourth, we have youth to trade to get expensive star players (hope, yet again, to get Vinny... or Kovalchuck or anyone availlable for that matter).

Fifth, we got cap space to sign a guy like Gaborik or Hossa.
So let's see here...

Gainey set us up with younger players on their way up. He's kept the payroll low and flexible. We have the cap space to take on the contracts of other superstars while having a well stocked farm club of prospects...

And you want him gone?

Okay then.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 10:09 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post

Everyone who wants to get Gainey fired is completely incapable of providing someone who could be a viable replacement, because no such person exists - for the time being anyways.
there is people but it also depends on if you feel they are more capable. Gainey's legend as a player has made him into a GM and coach that goes beyond mythical proportions. Is he a bad GM, No but he isn't some great one like he is made out to be either. I think its fair to say there are capable candidates who can at least provide the same success Gainey has which isn't a lot by the way.

any how this is the deciding off season, if I don't see a major culture change, Gainey needs to go cause someone bold needs to brought in to change the status quo thats been in effect for 15 years now.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 10:14 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
So let's see here...

Gainey set us up with younger players on their way up. He's kept the payroll low and flexible. We have the cap space to take on the contracts of other superstars while having a well stocked farm club of prospects...

And you want him gone?

Okay then.
overpaid players like Hamrlik, Dandenault, Bouillon aren't exactly ringing endorsements.

The farm system system is the drafting team. Also, its very questionable whether thats even a tangible aspect you can even credit with. Today's Pacioretty's and Subbans etc can just as easily be yesterdays Plekanec, Higgins and Komisarek's and look where they got the team.

Gainey has built and adequate team who can compete to make the playoffs. Our standards definitely need to be raised if thats what the organization is happy with.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 10:37 PM
Habruti!

I am not sure its the best time to switch GM, I would love it but I think its not the best time. I think the focus should be on finding a good coach...

B.Groux would get my vote....

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 11:08 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
there is people but it also depends on if you feel they are more capable. Gainey's legend as a player has made him into a GM and coach that goes beyond mythical proportions. Is he a bad GM, No but he isn't some great one like he is made out to be either. I think its fair to say there are capable candidates who can at least provide the same success Gainey has which isn't a lot by the way.

any how this is the deciding off season, if I don't see a major culture change, Gainey needs to go cause someone bold needs to brought in to change the status quo thats been in effect for 15 years now.
Status quo for the last 15 years?

C'mon man. When Bob showed up we might as well have been an expansion team. He had the patience and vision to build through the draft. Now we've got one of the best collections of young players/prospects in the league. Give the man his due.

Quote:
overpaid players like Hamrlik, Dandenault, Bouillon aren't exactly ringing endorsements.
The only contract that I'd be concerned with is Hamrlik's. And to be honest if that's the worst contract we have on this team we're in great shape compared to most teams.
Quote:
The farm system system is the drafting team. Also, its very questionable whether thats even a tangible aspect you can even credit with. Today's Pacioretty's and Subbans etc can just as easily be yesterdays Plekanec, Higgins and Komisarek's and look where they got the team.
So Bob gets no credit if the players pan out but if they flop he gets the blame. Got it.
Quote:
Gainey has built and adequate team who can compete to make the playoffs. Our standards definitely need to be raised if thats what the organization is happy with.
Gainey has built a team that has already shown that it can compete when its healthy. This is a team who's best years are ahead of it.

I'm not going to sit here and say that everything he's done is perfect. I've ripped him on more than one occassion. But give him some credit for what he's done. We're in way better shape than before he got here because he had the patience to do what most other GMs don't have the stomach for. He built through the draft.

The biggest thing I have against him is that we didn't sink low enough to get high picks. That's what we should've done but the impatient fans would never allow it. So instead we squeeked into the playoffs for years when we should've tanked. All the while missing out on the top picks who are now superstars today. Still, he had the patience to hang on to his picks and we'll reap the benefits of this for a long time.

Personally, I'd rather he be around to enjoy the fruits of his labour. Getting a new GM isn't going to change the fact that its almost impossible to get FAs in Montreal. And believe it or not that's probably not a bad thing anyway. You're better off building through the draft.

To those wishing that we get rid of him, be careful what you wish for, you may just get it.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 07:30 AM
kent_carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post

André Savard could replace Gainey without a doubt.

kent_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote