HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

ECQ Game 3 | 4-20-09 | 7 PM ET | Boston Bruins @ Montreal Canadiens

Closed Thread

Old
04-20-2009, 09:39 PM
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dafoomie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Africa. View Post
I don't know if I could go through another re-build.
With 10 roster players going into unrestricted free agency, and 5 restricted free agents, I think they were going to see significant changes no matter what happened in the playoffs.

I would hope the ownership situation is settled quickly and does not impair their ability to spend money this offseason. They've got the space to go after Bouwmeester or any other big name free agent they want.

Old
04-20-2009, 09:40 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Bruins were riddled with injuries in the playoffs last year and still took the habs to 7 games so don't give me that injury excuse.

Not to mention Sturm, Lucic, Hunwick and Ference were out for the B's, all key components.
How about giving the Bruins some credit? You make it sound like they were out there playing against kindergartners or something.

Old
04-20-2009, 09:40 PM
MontrealHabitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poignant Discussion View Post
LMFAO

It was Boston in 4 regardless of the team the Habnots put on the ice, to think otherwise is bordering on being a homer. There is not one part of the game that a full Hab team compares to the Bruins...not even one.

So use injuries as an excuse, it wasn't going 5 even with a prime Mario in the lineup

Actually our Healthy D is better, and hum we can roll 4 offensive line, they roll 3 ( Higher quality, though) and they have the edge in the goal, but its nowhere near enough to be a dominant factor. I think it is pretty similar.

So.. how about you get back to the Toronto board, to figure out how you will acquire Tavares.

Old
04-20-2009, 09:41 PM
tylerbear*

Boston shut it down and won the game. What'd you want them to do, give up chance for chance? Run and gun hockey?

It's the playoffs, all smart teams holding a lead in the third are going to shut it down.

Old
04-20-2009, 09:42 PM
Waltah*

love the injury excuses, bruins took the series to 7 games on a depleted lineup last year.

Old
04-20-2009, 09:43 PM
tylerbear*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafoomie View Post
With 10 roster players going into unrestricted free agency, and 5 restricted free agents, I think they were going to see significant changes no matter what happened in the playoffs.

I would hope the ownership situation is settled quickly and does not impair their ability to spend money this offseason. They've got the space to go after Bouwmeester or any other big name free agent they want.
Sure, there's lots of money, but a lot of players don't want to sign in Montreal due to the Montreal media.

It's a shame too, because Montreal has one of the best fan bases in hockey.

Old
04-20-2009, 09:44 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltah View Post
love the injury excuses, bruins took the series to 7 games on a depleted lineup last year.
Not comparable. Markov, Schneider, Tanguay and Lang are 4 of the main cogs on offence. That's 4 players off from the first PP unit.

waffledave
Old
04-20-2009, 09:45 PM
NsBruinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltah View Post
You mean the habs are not the only team with injuires...lies, it has to be lies

Old
04-20-2009, 09:46 PM
Waltah*

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Not comparable. Markov, Schneider, Tanguay and Lang are 4 of the main cogs on offence. That's 4 players off from the first PP unit.
but you still have 3 allstars...komisarek, kovalev, and price.

Old
04-20-2009, 09:46 PM
TheBigBadB

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewindupbird View Post
Sure, there's lots of money, but a lot of players don't want to sign in Montreal due to the Montreal media.

It's a shame too, because Montreal has one of the best fan bases in hockey.
You know I really believe that is the case. The Habs are not a team right now. Some players are just looking to get out of Dodge. It just seems that way to me. I expected a good fight, but the heart is just not in it for the Habs.

Old
04-20-2009, 09:47 PM
NsBruinsfan

Quote:
Tanguay and Schneider played the first 2 games, Tanguay made it to the 4th line and Schneider really didn't do anything, as for lang and markov, it sucks for you guys not to have them, but we beat you in the regular season with both of them in the line up...

Old
04-20-2009, 09:47 PM
MontrealHabitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
Bruins were riddled with injuries in the playoffs last year and still took the habs to 7 games so don't give me that injury excuse.

Not to mention Sturm, Lucic, Hunwick and Ference were out for the B's, all key components.
How about giving the Bruins some credit? You make it sound like they were out there playing against kindergartners or something.
Here's your needed key-sentence : quality of the players injured, pretty sure you we're not missing a Norris Candidate, a 1st pairing D-Man, a 2nd line Center, a couple of 1st liners and 2nd liners.

It's not even comparable.

Last year playoffs was the exact same thing, The team is scary with full line up, surprising how Habs scored 9 goals in 2 games when Koivu came back to center that 2nd line instead of Lapierre(lol).

Where did i say Bruins didn't deserve any credit ? They are looking good, they finished 1st for a reason, that doesn't change the fact that our current line up is filled with bench warmers and AHLers/Soon to be retired players

Brisebois is supposed to be 7th D-Man on the team, injuries we're so bad that he had to play almost the entire season, and now on top of that he is injured, it's a joke of a season, and i'd be really surprised if we were that unlucky next year.

Old
04-20-2009, 09:50 PM
tylerbear*

I haven't watched many Montreal games this year, but watching them in the playoffs, they don't seem to have a lot of chemistry, it's just a bunch of guys slapped together, and put out onto the ice.

Laraque playing with Koivu? Come on.

Old
04-20-2009, 09:52 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by NsBruinsfan View Post
Tanguay and Schneider played the first 2 games, Tanguay made it to the 4th line and Schneider really didn't do anything, as for lang and markov, it sucks for you guys not to have them, but we beat you in the regular season with both of them in the line up...
Tanguay was put on the 4th line to balance things out. Not because he was playing badly.

The problem with losing all these guys is that it forces lesser players to fill roles they aren't able to play. I mean...O'Byrne? Really? The guy stinks, but he was forced to play. Hamrlik was forced to play #1 d-man and he's a #3 at absolute best. I'm not saying they would win with those guys in the lineup, but the Habs would be significantly better. We aren't talking about 4 average players...Those are 4 of the 5 best players on the Habs.

Old
04-20-2009, 09:55 PM
Mancini0518

This is not surpirising. Everyone knew the Habs had no chance it was this the dillusion habs fans that gave them hope. I wish i could quote all of the habs fans who said "habs in 6". They had no chance everyone outside of Montreal knew they didnt have a chance.

Let the excuse parade begin.

Old
04-20-2009, 09:57 PM
NsBruinsfan

Quote:
Tanguay was put on the 4th line to balance things out. Not because he was playing badly.

The problem with losing all these guys is that it forces lesser players to fill roles they aren't able to play. I mean...O'Byrne? Really? The guy stinks, but he was forced to play. Hamrlik was forced to play #1 d-man and he's a #3 at absolute best. I'm not saying they would win with those guys in the lineup, but the Habs would be significantly better. We aren't talking about 4 average players...Those are 4 of the 5 best players on the Habs.
I hear what your saying for sure, tough year for the Habs...

Old
04-20-2009, 09:58 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancini0518 View Post
This is not surpirising. Everyone knew the Habs had no chance it was this the dillusion habs fans that gave them hope. I wish i could quote all of the habs fans who said "habs in 6". They had no chance everyone outside of Montreal knew they didnt have a chance.

Let the excuse parade begin.
What are we supposed to do? Go against our team?

Old
04-20-2009, 10:28 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Yannick Weber or the next Mark Streit?

THis is a huge problem in Montreal...he scores one goal and the comparisons begin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
Maybe we have found our Mark Streit.
Why can't he just be Weber? Stop putting all this pressure on your talented youth and maybe they won't fall apart so easily...

Old
04-20-2009, 10:30 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
THis is a huge problem in Montreal...he scores one goal and the comparisons begin.

Why can't he just be Weber? Stop putting all this pressure on your talented youth and maybe they won't fall apart so easily...
Well to be fair, it's Weber himself who said he models his game after Streit and hopes to be just like him.

Old
04-20-2009, 10:32 PM
ottsens08

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealHabitant View Post
I don't think we need to < rebuild >.

I cannot stand having to deal with posters here trying to compare their injuries with ours or saying we overachieved last year, i don't think a SINGLE team has come close to what we had to go through with Key Players in terms of injuries this year.

The fact is with a healthy line up, we're deep enough to have 2x 15 goals scorers on the 4th line, along with a Norris Candidate on the D, two good goalies. I don't think theres a single team that are this deep, posters here don't realize we got into the playoff missing key players, and im not talking about small 1-2 injuries to random scrubs, im talking key players. Also forwards that can give a good 20-25 goals 50-60 pts per season.

Kovalev missed 4 games.
A.Kost missed 8 games.
Lang missed 32 games.
Koivu missed 17 games.
Tanguay missed 32 games.
Komisared missed 16 games.
Higgins missed 25 games.
Price missed ~ 15 games ( and that was when he was playing really well)
List goes on ..

We played the musical chair with our lines the entire year, fired the coach, dealed with the newspapers bs.

Montreal power is in its full line up, we are deep, we don't have < star players >, we win games because we can roll 4 lines that can score into your net. For 5th and 6th D-Mans, we have Gorges and Bouillon, that actually would be number 4 on quite a bunch of teams.

I'm not making excuses, im stating the terrible truth that what we need isn't rebuilding, we need a NEW SEASON, a FRESH ****ING START.

As for these playoffs, Bruins are a great team and all, but this current line-up is a shadow of what we actually are and its sickening to have to watch this AHL filled team < compete >. That's not our team.

What we need is better Doctors and less bad luck.

Current record without Markov is what.. 6-20 ? For some reason i don't like the idea of packaging Markov for Lecavalier anymore.
Even with a full line-up the Habs are an average team, last season 104 pts season was a mirage and you got beat by the Flyers who were bigger and stronger. The Habs don't scare anyone anymore, every team in the East wants to play them. Les Glorieux are a thing of the past, now the Habs must rebuilt.

Old
04-20-2009, 10:32 PM
Potterbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post

Seriously... Besides Dallas when both Ott and Avery were there, I can't think of a team I would want to be on less than the Canadians. Their fans/media are BRUTAL. Obviously I'm not talking about every fan... but the way I see them put their players through the ringer makes me cringe.

Old
04-20-2009, 10:34 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

its so easy for bruins fans to say "excuses, excuses, we would have ebaten you anyways" and "last year we had injuries, so stop complaining", once its after the fact and we were missing so many key elements. Im not saying we would have won the series, but at least make it watchable.

You guys were missing Kobasew and Bergeron last year off the top of my head. Does that really compare to Markov, Lang, Schneider (one game), Tanguay (one game), Bouillon?

Its not an excuse, its just reality. Injuries are a part of hockey, but its unfortunate because you have to play 2 guys who never played in the playoffs before (Stewart and Weber) and your forced to play guys who have been in the doghosue all year (S. Kostitsyn, Obyrne)

Just remeber Bruins fans how last year theyre was all the "if only we had player A in teh lineup" we would have won excuses.

Same difference

That being said, bruins deserve to be where they are

Old
04-20-2009, 10:38 PM
Potterbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
its so easy for bruins fans to say "excuses, excuses, we would have ebaten you anyways" and "last year we had injuries, so stop complaining", once its after the fact and we were missing so many key elements. Im not saying we would have won the series, but at least make it watchable.

You guys were missing Kobasew and Bergeron last year off the top of my head. Does that really compare to Markov, Lang, Schneider (one game), Tanguay (one game), Bouillon?

Its not an excuse, its just reality. Injuries are a part of hockey, but its unfortunate because you have to play 2 guys who never played in the playoffs before (Stewart and Weber) and your forced to play guys who have been in the doghosue all year (S. Kostitsyn, Obyrne)

Just remeber Bruins fans how last year theyre was all the "if only we had player A in teh lineup" we would have won excuses.

Same difference

That being said, bruins deserve to be where they are
Yeah but don't forget that Chara was playing the entire series with a torn labrum and Savard with a broken bone in his back. So if you say that is like Tanguay and Schneider... then that puts Markov and Lang vs Kobasew and Bergeron. I'm not saying it is equal... but its not as different as you are implying.

Old
04-20-2009, 10:40 PM
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potterbro View Post
Yeah but don't forget that Chara was playing the entire series with a torn labrum and Savard with a broken bone in his back. So if you say that is like Tanguay and Schneider... then that puts Markov and Lang vs Kobasew and Bergeron. I'm not saying it is equal... but its not as different as you are implying.
Yes but it turned out Markov and Streit were playing hurt. It's a game of chance sometimes.

Old
04-20-2009, 10:43 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potterbro View Post
Chara with a torn labrum >>> a healthy Hamrlik, Komisarek, or whover at this point.

If theyre in the lineup, i dont consider them being hurt. They didnt miss any time. Im sure theyre are others with injuries (komo comes to mind) but that is hockey.

anyways, no point really

just saying it would have made it a series, not a cakewalk.

Closed Thread