HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

A Rebuild Plan

Old
04-20-2009, 10:13 PM
OneSharpMarble

vCash: 500
A Rebuild Plan

Someone needs to say it and get the discussion moving so being one the most hated I figured i'd take the lead.

Thats right you guessed it, REBUILD. I am not talking a full blown raze the earth welcome to Toronto rebuild here. I am talking methodical removal of certain players and keeping ones that either deserve to stay or still give us hope.

After watching the game tonight I can honestly say I have never been so ashamed to be a habs fan. This effort put forth was not NHL quality, I was questioning why the habs ever thought they deserved to be in the playoffs in the first place. I don't see this team magically turning it around next season, once a weak team always a weak team.

- We need to retain veterans but not all of them, almost all of them are going to be UFA soon so that gives us a great opportunity to cherry pick the strongest who can lead. Lang, Koivu and Kostopoulous are the main ones i'd like to see get contracts. The rest are really hit or miss and don't care.

- Plekanec, Obyrne, Hamrlik should be packaged and moved. The team is too soft as it is and these 3 are probably the biggest culprits that are still signed.

- Which brings me to Komisarek, I would offer a contract but 3.5million would be around the most. This guy cant be a top 2 dman and relied upon, until that changes he should not get a large contract.

- Kostitsyn brothers, this is so difficult because we had so much hope for these two. If Kovalev goes then Akost should stay but if Kovalev is signed to a short term contract Akost should be moved for an offensive prospect. As for Sergei I am willing to go another season with him, if his attitude doesnt change he can go too.

- Laraque should be traded without a doubt, had we known what we were getting this guy would never have been signed.

- Higgins, let the experiment continue, I would like to keep him just because he is doing so well in his checking role that it gives me hope he might actually become the player we always wanted.

I was fooled into thinking this team had a strong core but it has become apparent that core is full of selfish players who are of the opinion that they have somewhere better to be.

Markov, the goalies, this seasons rookies, Latendresse, Gorges and definitly Lapierre can all come back next season. They fill their positions well.

Thats all I can think of right now, I am still in a kinda nervous anger/disappointment mode after the "game".

Last edited by Blind Gardien: 04-21-2009 at 07:19 AM.
OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 10:15 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

The fact that we have about a dozen UFA's is pretty much a re-build in itself, isn't it?

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 10:16 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
The fact that we have about a dozen UFA's is pretty much a re-build in itself, isn't it?
Not if we resign them all.

Old
04-20-2009, 10:17 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
I don't think it would be financially possible...

Old
04-20-2009, 10:17 PM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

I desperately want Hamrlik gone.

Hamrlik + Fischer for Rights to Bowmeester?

It's awfully fair.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 10:19 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:

Exactly what I typed and erased. I'd call it turnover (the T word)

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Belso

well If there's one thing that is clear is that this team is not mentally though and too many players go into slumps..

So with all the UFA and assets in their youth, I think it's time to address those issues..

If Bob doesn't come back, I bet you can see a whole different team next season...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HabsInsideOut

I agree with you on almost everything except scrap Kostopolous, his heart doesn't hide his obvious lack of skill, and I don't think you can resign Komisarek for 3.5, itll take more than that

HabsInsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 10:21 PM
Kirk Muller

weeeeeeeeeeeee. Five year plan

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 10:24 PM
Sir Jacques Demers

He'res my plan.

Trade everyone except Markov, Kovalev, and Halak for Ovechkin. Throw in 3 first round draft pics too.

Sir Jacques Demers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 10:26 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsInsideOut View Post
I agree with you on almost everything except scrap Kostopolous, his heart doesn't hide his obvious lack of skill, and I don't think you can resign Komisarek for 3.5, itll take more than that
He is pretty much the only one who will block shots, we need roleplayers like him. Personally for his price I think we could do alot worse.

if Komisarek has to leave I am ok with that, whether we replace him with a free agent or trade we should not overpay out of fear.

Old
04-20-2009, 10:38 PM
HabsInsideOut

Quote:
if Komisarek has to leave I am ok with that, whether we replace him with a free agent or trade we should not overpay out of fear.
But I'm scared

HabsInsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 10:41 PM
Brisk-Illusion

I'd rather we re-tool over the summer and ice a competitive team next fall.

The worst thing we could do now is trade all our under-achieving players when their value is at its lowest.

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 10:41 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsInsideOut View Post
But I'm scared
Ok maybe we should overpay out of fear.

Old
04-20-2009, 10:42 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLapierre View Post
I desperately want Hamrlik gone.

Hamrlik + Fischer for Rights to Bowmeester?

It's awfully fair.
the deal would become more valuable for Florida is Hammer was not part of the deal. Nobody will touch Hammer unless they can move a bad contract our way.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 10:43 PM
Magic33

I dont think we finished low enough to actually rebuild. But since we have so many UFA's, it will be a mini rebuild. I dont know if we need to rebuild as much as we need to change the style of players we sign. I think we need some tough, go to the net, not-soft players. Chris Neil ish.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 10:46 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
First off I will be reporting any trolling, if you dont like people talking about a rebuild stay out. After this season and the upcoming ufa circus this is a very possible outcome.

Someone needs to say it and get the discussion moving so being one the most hated I figured i'd take the lead.

Thats right you guessed it, REBUILD. I am not talking a full blown raze the earth welcome to Toronto rebuild here. I am talking methodical removal of certain players and keeping ones that either deserve to stay or still give us hope.

After watching the game tonight I can honestly say I have never been so ashamed to be a habs fan. This effort put forth was not NHL quality, I was questioning why the habs ever thought they deserved to be in the playoffs in the first place. I don't see this team magically turning it around next season, once a weak team always a weak team.

- We need to retain veterans but not all of them, almost all of them are going to be UFA soon so that gives us a great opportunity to cherry pick the strongest who can lead. Lang, Koivu and Kostopoulous are the main ones i'd like to see get contracts. The rest are really hit or miss and don't care.

- Plekanec, Obyrne, Hamrlik should be packaged and moved. The team is too soft as it is and these 3 are probably the biggest culprits that are still signed.

- Which brings me to Komisarek, I would offer a contract but 3.5million would be around the most. This guy cant be a top 2 dman and relied upon, until that changes he should not get a large contract.

- Kostitsyn brothers, this is so difficult because we had so much hope for these two. If Kovalev goes then Akost should stay but if Kovalev is signed to a short term contract Akost should be moved for an offensive prospect. As for Sergei I am willing to go another season with him, if his attitude doesnt change he can go too.

- Laraque should be traded without a doubt, had we known what we were getting this guy would never have been signed.

- Higgins, let the experiment continue, I would like to keep him just because he is doing so well in his checking role that it gives me hope he might actually become the player we always wanted.

I was fooled into thinking this team had a strong core but it has become apparent that core is full of selfish players who are of the opinion that they have somewhere better to be.

Markov, the goalies, this seasons rookies, Latendresse, Gorges and definitly Lapierre can all come back next season. They fill their positions well.

Thats all I can think of right now, I am still in a kinda nervous anger/disappointment mode after the "game".
You need to sleep this one off so that you'll have a refreshed mindset tomorrow. We have too many young players to consider rebuilding. Reload maybe....and we do have plenty of cap space to do this.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 10:48 PM
odishabs

Quote:
This will not happen lol! You honestly think there is a GM out there who wouldn't jump at this opportunity usually when a team has a terrible year they have no way of fixing it completely...we have that Chance! Nearly 2 offensive lines are free-agents we need a head coach and possibly a GM.

What would re-signing all of our free agents accomplish besides putting us in the same position we're in right now.

The team will be re-vamped with SOME main stays (LATS,LAPS,MARKY,PRICE,HALAK,ETC.)

i wouldnt rule out a trade involving any of these players:

1.Tomas Plekanec
2. Andrei K
3. Sergei K
4. One of Price or Halak
5. One of Weber, Subban, McDonaugh, or Fisher
6. Chris Higgins (hope not)

i know we've beat this to death but here we go.

: Andrei K, Sergei K, Josh Gorges, 1st and 2nd round picks
: Vinny Lecavailier, 4th round pick

: David Fisher and Tomas Plekanec
: Tom Gilbert

re-sign: Koivu, Lang, and Tanguay.

buyout: Hamrlik (unless we can deal him)

Max Pacioretty-V. Lecavailer-_________
Alex Tanguay-Saku Koivu-Matt D'Agostini
Gui Latendresse-Maxime Lapierre-Tom Kostopolous
Chris Higgins-Robert Lang-Gregory Stewart

Andrei Markov-Tom Gilbert
Yannick Weber-Francois Beauchemin
Alexei Yemelin-Ryan O'Byrne

Halak
Price

PP
D-Yannik Weber
D-Andrei Markov
W-Alex Tanguay
C-Vinny Lecavailer
W- Robert Lang

D-Tom Gilbert
D-Francois Beauchemin
W-Guillaume Latendresse
C-Saku Koivu
W-Maxime Lapierre

C-KOIVU
A-LECAVAILER
A-MARKOV
A-LAPIERRE

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 10:55 PM
Schooner Guy

Why do people waste their time dreaming up trades? In the new cap era, so many planets must be aligned for a trade to work for both teams.

We'd be better off if people would donate this wasted time to a charity organization.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 11:01 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
You need to sleep this one off so that you'll have a refreshed mindset tomorrow. We have too many young players to consider rebuilding. Reload maybe....and we do have plenty of cap space to do this.
Young or not you don't grow into courage, either you have it or you dont and the only one on this habs team with any courage is our poor aging captain.

Old
04-20-2009, 11:24 PM
Kriss E

I don't think our team is nearly as bad as it looked this season.

I also would like to know your reasoning behind trading our sole 30-35+ Goal Scorer potential player after only his 2nd season. Why choose his bro over him too I don't get.

Lang has played a little more than half a season I think, at his age, I wouldn't resign him.
Koivu and Kovalev are younger and they are without a doubt great veteran players for POs. I'd resign them, but that's considering we'd get a bit top line center that isn't scared to throw his body around because that's where we need to reinforce ourselves first.
I think bringing someone like him to pair him with the Kost broz(if still there) could make a great first line.

If we can retain Koivu/Tang/Kovalev has a 2nd line, that would be very interesting.

I don't think we need to rebuild much. I feel most of our youngsters will bounce back next year, it's part of their development.

We also have D'Ago and MaxPac that might be ready to have a regular spot next year on our roster.

I think we have a nice pool of interesting prospects, we'll obviously have to get rid of some if we want to obtain the services of a big center. The only reason I want to keep A.Kost is because he's the only one I see in our youngsters that has the potential of scoring 30-35+.

I'd try going after JayBo too. Having Markov out might have been a blessing into forcing Gainey to go after another top 2 D. I'd also resign Komi hopefully cheap.

Now, that's what I'd do. Don't ask me how that would all fit under the cap, I just wish BG can make it happen

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 11:29 PM
BobbyFischer*

We're not too soft per se.. we just aren't that good, but we had a depleted lineup..

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 11:31 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
We're not too soft per se.. we just aren't that good, but we had a depleted lineup..
We're very, very soft.

Old
04-20-2009, 11:38 PM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
We're very, very soft.
We out muscled the bruins tonight and still lost

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 11:38 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
We're very, very soft.
you cannot be more wrong, we are far from soft, we were clearly outalented tonight

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote