HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Colin Campbell is an idiot...

Old
04-20-2009, 03:37 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by psu711 View Post
I do agree in the simple concept that the act of "x" should result in the punishment of "y" no matter the time, the player, etc... The problem is this is the real world...

It is no different in other sports, in school/college, in politics or in the professional workplace. When you get a reputation for doing something you will be unfairly treated and judged. Sure in a perfect world this wouldn't exist, but unfortunately we aren’t there yet.

It isnt just the flyers that have to deal with this, but as you mentioned in the last part of your post, constantly acquiring players that fit into this stereotype isnt going to help break the trend.
Prejudice and lack of objectivity are unavoidable in the long term, sure. However, in most other walks of life they strive to remove those factors as much as is possible.

In the NHL, as Campbell explicitly stated, they specifically do not avoid those prejudices. In the NHL, Justice is not blind.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 03:41 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
It isn't that he's unprepared...he's been doing this job long enough that no preparation should be necessary. The problem for him is that their policy for determining suspensions is ridiculous. Therefore, when he's sitting there trying to explain it he sounds ridiculous.
If your policy is to make **** up as you go along, when you explain it, it sounds like your making **** up as you go along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
This is why the "ivory tower" statement is actually so relevant. As long as they get to have all their dialogue internal, they don't get called on their crap. The teams and players are BENEATH Campbell and the league, so they can't call them on their crap. The more they go out and face actual people questioning the more the holes in the policy are going to be jammed in their face.
Which brings us back to my ombudsman or your transparent council.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 04:24 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Playoff hockey, especially playoff OT, is one of the greatest things in sport. All the NHL really has to do is sit back and let it happen. But they can't even do that, it's absolutely pathetic, made worse by their complete lack of a coherent policy for penalizing dirty plays.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 04:28 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Playoff hockey, especially playoff OT, is one of the greatest things in sport. All the NHL really has to do is sit back and let it happen. But they can't even do that, it's absolutely pathetic, made worse by their complete lack of a coherent policy for penalizing dirty plays.

Agreed 150%.....so sad to think the days of 4 overtime games are over. Those were monumental for me growing up. Now you just know there's going to be a penalty call like clockwork every 5 minutes or less.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 04:46 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
Agreed 150%.....so sad to think the days of 4 overtime games are over. Those were monumental for me growing up. Now you just know there's going to be a penalty call like clockwork every 5 minutes or less.
exactly. more penalties called in OT is going to happen more and more.
The rareity of a 5 on 3 PP in OT? forget about it.
God forbid Versus cant show thier stupid ass rodeo or bull riding on time.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 04:47 PM
UseYourAllusion

I, for one, like to watch bull riding

but I like hockey better, especially long playoff OTs

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 06:45 PM
Rex88

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
If reputation is a determining factor in handing out suspensions, where did Downie's non-NHL reputation fit into Campbell's equation that rang up 20 games for ringing up McAmmond? Or is that a rhetorical question?
My sarcasm meter is "off" - Downie came into the league with as much baggage as anyone in the recent years and thus had a NHL level rep even in juniors. Combine that with being a Flyer and you get what you get.
Also, so much of what is determined is based on result such as McAmmond being rag-dolled after that hit. If Timonen was knocked out after the clear head shot from last night, I bet we would at least see a small one game suspension, although if he stands close enough to Sid he may still get nothing.

Rex88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 06:57 PM
i am dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex88 View Post
My sarcasm meter is "off" - Downie came into the league with as much baggage as anyone in the recent years and thus had a NHL level rep even in juniors. Combine that with being a Flyer and you get what you get.
Also, so much of what is determined is based on result such as McAmmond being rag-dolled after that hit. If Timonen was knocked out after the clear head shot from last night, I bet we would at least see a small one game suspension, although if he stands close enough to Sid he may still get nothing.
So the message is "it's ok to headhunt so long as the resulting player doesn't get hurt." Right?

P.S. remember when a cross-check to the face garnered 20 games?

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 07:13 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
This is what I have a problem with. That's fine if a player brings AHL baggage with him. But additional baggage shouldn't be saddled to him simply because of the sweater he wears. If he were on the Penguins...the "Model Team", would he have been suspended?

Also, Patrice Beregeron was out for the rest of the season. Randy Jones is not a dirty player, but based on Campbell's rationale, HE should've also been suspended for 20 games because of Bergeron's injury. This clearly shows his own incosistancies.

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 07:14 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
exactly. more penalties called in OT is going to happen more and more.
The rareity of a 5 on 3 PP in OT? forget about it.
God forbid Versus cant show thier stupid ass rodeo or bull riding on time.
You bring up a FANTASTIC and HUGE point about Verses. I honestly think the TV networks do play a role in the way sanctioning bodies make calls, because of other programming commitments.

Earlier this year, Fox broadcast the Daytona 500, NASCAR's biggest event. And it rained. Nascar policy says after halfway its an official race incase of weather, but Daytona has lights making it ok to race at night. Unfortunately, Fox had new episodes of The Simpsons and Family Guy to show, and when the rains came, NASCAR waited 15 minutes, called the race, had the postrace show, and it all ended conveniently at 8 pm in time for The Simpsons. Last year they waited until 4 am at a race in California before they made a decision. Fox had nothing to air because coverage started at 630 pm. I totally buy into the network asking the NHL to try its best to get the games within a certain limit because god forbid the 8 people who watch sports soup wont get to watch it on time. Its all about the $$$ not integrity of the sport. That is why I beleive you see a lot of PP time in last 3-4 minutes and OT these days, trying to end the games quickly.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 07:19 PM
Rex88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParentPower View Post
So the message is "it's ok to headhunt so long as the resulting player doesn't get hurt." Right?

P.S. remember when a cross-check to the face garnered 20 games?
Its not my message but that seems to be often accurate - injuries usually extend or cause suspensions to occur.

Old
04-20-2009, 07:25 PM
Rex88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post
This is what I have a problem with. That's fine if a player brings AHL baggage with him. But additional baggage shouldn't be saddled to him simply because of the sweater he wears. If he were on the Penguins...the "Model Team", would he have been suspended? .
Thats what I am saying Jules, the sweater has made a difference in recent years.
Four factors recur here:

1. Was the player hit with intention to injure and/or hit grossly illegally?
2. Was the player hurt?
3. What type of player caused the injury?
4. Was it a team that condones rough play?

On top of all this there are still inconsistencies even within similar events.
Frustration.

Old
04-20-2009, 07:26 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
Thats what I am saying Jules, the sweater has made a difference in recent years.
Four factors recur here:

1. Was the player hit with intention to injure and/or hit grossly illegally?
2. Was the player hurt?
3. What type of player caused the injury?
4. Was it a team that condones rough play?

On top of all this there are still inconsistencies even within similar events.
Frustration.
Then yep. We are in 100% agreement.

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 08:49 PM
i am dave

Quote:
Its not my message but that seems to be often accurate - injuries usually extend or cause suspensions to occur.
I was being rhetorical, not actually calling on you to answer.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 11:59 PM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
Bettman's email; if you want to let him know what you think about CC and himself.

gbettman@nhl.com

Check out what I wrote to him... Granted, I ripped him a bit as well, but hey, all in a days work.

Quote:
Hello Mr. Bettman,

My name is Myname. I am a 22 year old male, intensely and ferociously loyal to hockey in general, and the team in my local area, which is located in a major US hockey market. I am a season ticket holder, and have been since I was 10 years old and my father got me season tickets. I have been spending my own earnings on said tickets since I was 15 years old and got my first job.

With that said, I am writing to you to share my feelings on Colin Campbell, the NHL's head disciplinarian, and yourself. I'm sure you've seen the interview with Ron McLean. Why is it that you allow a man who has shown such vast incompetence in these matters to effectively control the safety of players on the ice? He basically admits in that interview that he makes the rules up as he goes, and also shows bias against certain teams, players, and playing styles. If the NHL is to ever be truly successful on the same level as, say, the NFL, you will have to get serious about players safety on the ice, and that starts at the top. Disciplinarians should not have any connections to people currently playing the game, that leads to bias. You need a neutral party to outline a disciplinary policy, and take disciplinary action against players, coaches, and team management when necessary.

Relieving Colin Campbell of his duties as head disciplinarian of the NHL might be the only good thing you'll ever manage to do for the game, Mr. Bettman. By all accounts, you are unpopular with the fans, unpopular with the players, and unpopular in the media. Every day you hold the position of Commissioner in the greatest league of the worlds greatest sport, you tarnish both the reputation and public standing of hockey. Plainly said, Mr. Bettman, you, the people you surround yourself with, and your executive policies are probably the biggest road block the NHL has to regaining the prominence it enjoyed during it's heyday in the 1980's. I am positive that after you leave the league, things will turn around for the better.

Maybe you should take a look at the NFL's model, and see that a large reason behind their success comes from loyal fan bases. One of the major failures of the NHL in this day and age, especially in expansion markets, is developing team loyalty. Part of the reason for this failure is the attempts to push hockey on to people who, quite simply, don't really care about the sport. Another reason the NFL is thriving is marketing, in particular, knowing who to market. One hint; Hockey fans tend to not like players derided as whiners, divers, and fakers. You may not be a fan of it, but the passion and love that a player like Ovechkin shows for the game is good for the game. The media (FREE marketing!) is drawn to personalities who have the game to back up what they say and do off the ice. Suspending Avery for his comments this season was a stupid move, and probably cost the NHL quite a bit of ratings. The fact is, Americans love drama, and if you can give them that, they'll eat it up and love forking over their money to you, hand over fist, for it.

To sum it up, Mr. Bettman, I feel that your loyalty and ties blind you to your duties as NHL Commissioner. If you won't resign your post out of incompetence, you should, at the least, terminate Colin Campbells reign as head disciplinarian. If you do neither of these things, rest assured, the vast majority of fans in North America will remain steadfast in their belief that you are a complete dumbass.

Anxiously awaiting an intelligent rebuttal,
Myname

PS: I'd like to see you actually respond to the thoughts of a fan for once, instead of just ignoring them as you usually do, and soiling your reputation amongst us even further.
PPS: If you're interested, I will offer to do the job of Head Disciplinarian for the NHL for $50,000 USD a year, which I am sure is substantially less than Colin Campbell makes. And I'd probably do a much, much better job as well, setting formal guidelines for fining and suspending based on intent, not the results and/or injuries resulting from said actions.

Last edited by L-train*: 04-21-2009 at 12:31 AM.
L-train* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 04:01 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

wow campbell really came off like a idiot

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 06:46 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-train View Post
Bettman's email; if you want to let him know what you think about CC and himself.

gbettman@nhl.com

Check out what I wrote to him... Granted, I ripped him a bit as well, but hey, all in a days work.

Well done L-Train. Although I'd much rather just find him, fill a sock with bars of soap and beat him till he cries Sidney.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 07:18 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

he'll scream sidney before you hit him. he's that obsessed.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 07:31 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 247
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Kunitz isn't getting suspended. Sam Carchidi mentions this CBC clip in it.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...gs_a_joke.html

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 07:41 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
Kunitz isn't getting suspended. Sam Carchidi mentions this CBC clip in it.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...gs_a_joke.html
Why should he though? It was a clean hit. We can't have it both ways as Flyers fans. We can't ***** about the wussification of the NHL and then expect a guy to get suspended for putting a good clean hit on someone.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 07:46 AM
medicman

the Hawks/Flames game last night was a literal brawlfest. It will be interesting to see if any suspentions will be metered.

medicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 07:47 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
he'll scream sidney before you hit him. he's that obsessed.

Coach John McGuirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 08:20 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 247
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
Why should he though? It was a clean hit. We can't have it both ways as Flyers fans. We can't ***** about the wussification of the NHL and then expect a guy to get suspended for putting a good clean hit on someone.
He got an elbow to the head. That's not clean.

And its not so much the lack of suspension. Its the fact others are suspended for the same thing or less and other aren't.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 10:24 AM
Pope Pogo II

Send a message via AIM to Pope Pogo II Send a message via Yahoo to Pope Pogo II
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
This, but hypocrisy exists for a reason.

Pope Pogo II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 10:25 AM
psu711

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
He got an elbow to the head. That's not clean.

And its not so much the lack of suspension. Its the fact others are suspended for the same thing or less and other aren't.
This amazes me. Do you have some clip that no other NHL Fan or announcer has showing a blatant elbow to the head.

Is every tv/studio announcer who talked about the hit and called it a "good clean hit" wrong?

Everything i have seen is similar to this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtVWdYjNPts There is nothing there showing a clear elbow.

2 for charging... maybe, but that is it. You call this a suspension worthy elbow. Just curious, what is your stance on the knee to knee from Hartnell to Letang? Suspension?...

psu711 is offline   Reply With Quote