HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

09-10 Nashville Predators

Old
02-09-2009, 11:41 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I was assuming that Zanon would be the number 4 guy. If he isn't, then I think you call up Franson or have Blum fill the 6th defensemen role, sign a cheap 7th defensemen/tryout, then let Sulzer or Klein take the number 4 spot.
Sounds like the cheap option to me. Based on my guesses, the Preds will have between 3.1-7.05 million to fill the top forward spot, the #4/#6 defensemen, and the #7 defenseman.

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 11:43 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Where do you fit Wilson in? I believe Wilson has a good chance of making the club straight out of camp and doing little to no time with the Ads. He is a more dynamic player than Jones and Hornqvist and I think he could step into the NHL with more ease than those two could. Putting him with Pihlstrom and toots isn't ideal but what else can you do?
Not sign Bonk, place Wilson in that spot and save the team $$$

Old
02-09-2009, 11:48 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Remember Radulov? Even he didn't make the team straight out of camp. And he was way further in development than Wilson is. Yeah he only spent 3 weeks in Milwaukee, but he was called up so quick cause he was tearing the AHL up. Unless Wilson does the same, I don't see him spending the majority of his season in Nashville. Gotta walk before you can run.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 11:53 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
Remember Radulov? Even he didn't make the team straight out of camp. And he was way further in development than Wilson is. Yeah he only spent 3 weeks in Milwaukee, but he was called up so quick cause he was tearing the AHL up. Unless Wilson does the same, I don't see him spending the majority of his season in Nashville. Gotta walk before you can run.
I think he gets a lot more time than most expect. I'm thinking Ryan Jones. He starts with the club, goes down to Milwaukee and then comes up quick.

Old
02-09-2009, 12:15 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
Rads was a pure offensive player. He tore up the Q which was a terrible defensive league. I highly doubt they stressed two way play at all in the Q. That was probaly the reason he started in the A. Wilson is a much better two way player and also stronger and a better skater than Rads which makes me think he could jump on the team immediately because he can play a bottom six spot whereas Rads was either Top six or nothing. Like I said Wilson might do a little time with the Ads but I wouldn't expect it to be long at all.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Rads was a pure offensive player. He tore up the Q which was a terrible defensive league. I highly doubt they stressed two way play at all in the Q. That was probaly the reason he started in the A. Wilson is a much better two way player and also stronger and a better skater than Rads which makes me think he could jump on the team immediately because he can play a bottom six spot whereas Rads was either Top six or nothing. Like I said Wilson might do a little time with the Ads but I wouldn't expect it to be long at all.
It still is
Q = great for offense/goalies
O = great all around league
W = phenominal league for D

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 01:31 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
It still is
Q = great for offense/goalies
Then explain Simon Després, Dmitri Kulikov, and Gabriel Lemieux.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 05:10 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Then explain Simon Després, Dmitri Kulikov, and Gabriel Lemieux.
Haha. Who?

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 09:13 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Also, Franson made the AHL all-star team, how is he not ready?
Do the names Haydar, Hutchinson and Gamache ring a bell?

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 08:07 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
Do the names Haydar, Hutchinson and Gamache ring a bell?
Touche.

Old
04-20-2009, 03:28 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Time for this to be bumped, eh ?

Old
04-20-2009, 03:38 PM
deleted

Not what I want, but what I think it will be

Sullivan - Arnott - Dumont
Ward - Legwand -Erat
Jones - Cal - Tootoo
Philo - Nichol -Smithson

Weber- Suter
Hamhuis- Klein
Sulzer- Zanon

Rinne
Ellis

If we can get someone for rads somhow

Sully - Arnott - Dumont
Someone/Ward - Legwand - Erat
Ward/Someone - Cal - Jones
Tootoo - Smithson - Philo

Same D and Goalies

deleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 03:47 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by slanted View Post
Not what I want, but what I think it will be

Ward - Legwand -Erat
Jones - Cal - Tootoo
Philo - Nichol -Smithson

Weber- Suter
Hamhuis- Klein
Sulzer- Zanon

Rinne
Ellis

If we can get someone for rads somhow

Sully - Arnott - Dumont
Someone/Ward - Legwand - Erat
Ward/Someone - Cal - Jones
Tootoo - Smithson - Philo

Same D and Goalies
how about we bring Rads back, bump Erat to the top line (where sullivan would have been) let Colin start the season as the 3rd centerman ... a Ward - Wilson - Jones 3rd would be a nice checking line and bring in a UFA for the 2nd line

Old
04-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
how about we bring Rads back, bump Erat to the top line (where sullivan would have been) let Colin start the season as the 3rd centerman ... a Ward - Wilson - Jones 3rd would be a nice checking line and bring in a UFA for the 2nd line
I see a lot of people wanting a Ward/Pihl-Wilson-Jones line, and maybe I'm alone on this, but that line is WAY too young and inexperienced for my liking. They would get burned on this level. They need a solid vet to fall back on.

If Nichol is healthy enough and willing to sign a 1 year deal, I'd like to bring him back to the 3rd line.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 05:07 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

What I would like to see...

Sullivan/Free Agent-Arnott-Dumont
Jones/Free Agent (if Jones isn't ready)-Legwand-Erat
Ward-O'Reilly/Wilson-Radulov
Pihlström-BFN-Tootoo
Smithson, Belak

Weber-Suter
Hamhuis-Sulzer
Klein-Blum

Rinne
Ellis

I don't think we have the money to go out and buy a pair of top six forwards, but like I said, it's what I'd *like* to see, so it's got a bit of a hypothetical slant to it.

Old
04-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

We need to bring back Sullivan. I expect it will get done. 2-3 years, 2.5 million apiece.

Wilson will be in the plans to play on our team next year even if they send him down at camp.

Ward will be resigned - see Fiddler extension after his 15+ goal year.

One of Fiddler/Bonk/Nichol could be back, and if one is back, my money is on Fiddler. Roster wise, they should be gone unless we are willing to move one of Smithson/Pihlstrom. It is possible that we axe Smithson in favor of one of the above, but I doubt it.

Zanon/DeVries/Koistinen....probably all three are gone, although one of the latter two COULD be resigned if it is for 750k or less.

Radulov will be back in the NHL. He will be either traded or starting as our top 6 winger. I really think this happens. I am going to move forward with him in the lineup. I would say an extension will be given, and this is another reason why I think Sullivan will be back (see the whole Arnott/Radulov/Sullivan thread).

WITH the above plans, I suspect we will see this lineup:

Erat - Legwand - Radulov (!?!)
Ward - Wilson - Jones
Pihlstrom - O'Reilly - Tootoo

Extras: Smithson/Belak

Weber - Suter
Hamhuis - Sulzer
Klein - Blum or Franson

Extra: One of Devries/Koistinen or another Milwuakeean (Laakso could hop in here)

Rinne
Ellis --> will be traded, I am almost positive of this. I have no idea what we would do for a backup if he is moved.

Personal preference: I would rather ditch Smithson in favor of Fiddler as Fiddler is the better pker and player. He is also a more versatile player. With that said, Smithson is under contract, Fiddler is not.

Notes: David Poile and Trotz love some of the free agents that will be leaving. It will be interesting to see what we do. Really, all of our UFAs should be gone except for maybe Sullivan and Zanon. It seems like Zanon has priced himself out of Nashville, but we all thought the same for Ellis and several others before. Keep an eye on this situation because I still give it a 50/50 chance of happening. I think Zanon's agent is angling for a Jeff Finger contract, and rightfully so, but that boneheaded contract is not going to happen again. Its hard to imagine Trotz/Poile letting Nichol/Fiddler leave, but they really should unless they are willing to move some of the lower level or younger players of similar ilk that are chomping at the bit to be in the lineup.

04-21-2009, 12:49 AM
braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
WITH the above plans, I suspect we will see this lineup:

Erat - Legwand - Radulov (!?!)
Ward - Wilson - Jones
Pihlstrom - O'Reilly - Tootoo
You nailed the lines the way I would pencil them in, with the exception of CalO. I just can't see him on whatever kind of line that is... energy I guess because it sure isn't a shut down line. Maybe Cal could turn the two little balls of hate into the scoring threats that they show every 25 games or so.

If Rads doesn't come back, I think CalO slots into the 2nd line and Leggy goes to wing.

Honestly, I don't see this team making a major move for offense other than re-signing Sully and trying to bring back Rads. In fact, at the risk of being declared insane, I think the right move might be to sign.... Bonk and a top 4 defenseman. There, I said it. Bonk can slot into the 3rd or 4th line with Wilson taking the other. More importantly, a real defenseman to play with Hamhuis would leave a solid bottom pairing of Klien and Sulzer.

This team, with Rinne in net, 2 shut down pairings and line combos described above can be a solid playoff team.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 07:45 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I could see that. Truth be told I have no friggin idea what the Preds are going to do with the defense. Some say it's too young but Hamhuis is half way done with his career and is in my mind a vet. I could see a youth movement. I could see a FA vet coming in. I DON'T see Zanon coming back though.

Old
04-21-2009, 11:09 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post

Honestly, I don't see this team making a major move for offense other than re-signing Sully and trying to bring back Rads. In fact, at the risk of being declared insane, I think the right move might be to sign.... Bonk and a top 4 defenseman. There, I said it. Bonk can slot into the 3rd or 4th line with Wilson taking the other. More importantly, a real defenseman to play with Hamhuis would leave a solid bottom pairing of Klein and Sulzer.
I don't disagree with that scenario playing out, especially since Jones might get a one-way deal that would make us really loathe to put him in the minors.

I might also swap Jones or Ward with Radulov. I think that line needs a powerforward to be successful, and it also makes us more difficult to match up against since we'll have three lines that present legitimate scoring threats.

Old
04-21-2009, 11:16 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
I could see that. Truth be told I have no friggin idea what the Preds are going to do with the defense. Some say it's too young but Hamhuis is half way done with his career and is in my mind a vet. I could see a youth movement. I could see a FA vet coming in. I DON'T see Zanon coming back though.
I find it unlikely that Hamhuis will retire at 32.

I do, however, think there's a chance we bring in a #4 defenseman. Someone like Johnny Oduya, Ossi Vaananen, or, preferably, Paul Mara.

Old
04-21-2009, 12:20 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I'm talking the average career. 14-20 years.

Old
04-21-2009, 12:26 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
I'm talking the average career. 14-20 years.
He's played five years in the NHL and has yet to have a major injury (he's missed 5 NHL games). He'll play far more than the low end of the average range. I'd say another decade at least.

Old
04-21-2009, 12:41 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
He's played five years in the NHL and has yet to have a major injury (he's missed 5 NHL games). He'll play far more than the low end of the average range. I'd say another decade at least.
Either my read and recongition skills are horrible or I swear I saw Hamhuis played 7 years for Nashville?

Old
04-21-2009, 01:05 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Either my read and recongition skills are horrible or I swear I saw Hamhuis played 7 years for Nashville?
03-04
05-06
06-07
07-08
08-09

02-03 and 04-05 spent in Milwaukee

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 06:15 PM
skipper49

If Trotz and company bet the entire first half of the season on just adding Colin Wilson then the same thing will happen that has happened the last three years-the team will have a crappy start, no chemistry and no offense. They bet the farm on Hornquist this past season and the team never recovered in time- they just began playing playoff hockey from January on to make up for mistakes made in the off-season. As long as Poile remains a tight wad this team will forever be a bunch of 3rd and 4th liners who play over their heads for part of the season -and oh yeah - a team on which the goalies are expected to be the star of the game every night.

skipper49 is offline   Reply With Quote