HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pondering the effect of a Columbus disappointment-Yahoo article

Old
04-20-2009, 01:30 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Too many to list.

But to name a few that I recall being mentioned.

Spezza
Weight
Jokinen
Antropov
Oh yeah... I remember now. But I guess it wasn't too big of a deal to me because I knew we wouldn't get any of them -- especially Weight after the Dubie stuff.

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 01:40 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Too many to list.

Spezza
Weight
Jokinen
Antropov
I don't think Antropov would have involved selling the farm. But as for the rest... yeah, I think I was decrying that as madness 'round that time also.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 02:13 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
This series reminds me of the Nords getting spanked by the Canadiens in 1993. Without the lessons learned in that defeat, the Avs wouldn't have won the Cup in 1996.
And again in '94, the Nords were beaten in the first round by the Rangers(went on to win the cup that year) but everyone watching the playoffs took note of this Forseberg kid in Quebec, acquired as part of the great Lindros-Philly sell off heh.

We have a great young team, like STL and CHI, and with Hitch at the helm, the playoffs should be expected every year going forward.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 02:52 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I don't think Antropov would have involved selling the farm. But as for the rest... yeah, I think I was decrying that as madness 'round that time also.
Good point, Antropov only cost a 2nd rounder, that would not have hurt us at all, since most of our 2nd rounders have sucked anyways. He's been doing quite well in New York, and it looks like the Rags will make the 2nd round.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 04:52 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

In terms of local fans, I don't think a first round "disappointment" will draw many of them away. Why?

We weren't even supposed to be in in the first place.

People thought we'd finish 12th-13th, yet we started the playoffs 7th. Our fans know it, many other fans know it, and much of the rest of the league saw what we can do during the regular season, such as our 4-win string against some of the best in the league in Boston, Chicago, Detroit & Pittsburgh. I really can't explain what's wrong with our team right now in the playoffs, but I feel like we're not going anywhere.

edit- not going anywhere soon in terms of falling backwards like ATL did.

Last edited by CBJSprague24: 04-20-2009 at 05:18 PM.
CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 05:19 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Good point, Antropov only cost a 2nd rounder, that would not have hurt us at all, since most of our 2nd rounders have sucked anyways. He's been doing quite well in New York, and it looks like the Rags will make the 2nd round.
I like watching him play. He's a less aggressive Svitov who still uses his body to good advantage, and he can score. He'd be an asset to our top six, no doubt about it.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 09:40 PM
GOCBJ61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo View Post
they should ponder the after effect of a sweep of the Sharks. The fallout after that would trump ours innumerably
or the probable 0-8 montreal canadiens playoff record the last 2 years...

GOCBJ61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 09:51 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 857
Quote:
To put this in perspective...

Seeing as we've been overmatched by a large margin in both of our games so far, it makes me appreciate that Howson didn't do what some of you guys wanted and sold the farm in an effort to pick up that older talent, that while would have evened the gap, would not have put the team over the edge.
Or really overpay in the free agency market: AKA Wayne Redden.

Can you imagine if Howson did sign him? Thank goodness the Rangers outbid us and overpaid for him! We would really be in a money bind if he had signed Redden

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 09:56 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Final post for me in this thread, for all those thinking Brassard, Voracek, Filatov, Boll and Mason are going to win the cup next year dream on. They may win it in 2013 or later but without new veteran help no way any time soon does this team go deep into the playoffs..

Based on the organization Detroit is icing we look like a high school team playing the NHL... We do have many great players but even Mason is not ready to take us to the cup, we need an experienced NHL goalie on our bench and Mason needs to know he can be replaced.

Sorry for the shock.

Last edited by Robert: 04-20-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 05:59 AM
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
Or Washington, with the likes of Mike Green a AO. St Louis is in worst shape then us right now.

It'll only be damaging if we decide to stand pat during this offseason. Yes we'll have Brassard and Filatov, but if the goal becomes playoffs every year, we're seeing the effects of inexeperienced youth right now, adding more youth wont add much more to the playoffs next year.

Right now, if the playoffs were 1 week later, we would not have made the playoffs. You see whats happening to St Louis, and they were one of the top teams in the 2nd half! We're not a playoff team, not at least in comparison to the likes of Nucks, Ducks, Wings, Pens, Flyers, etc. While we made the playoffs this year,we're a LONG way off from being a playoff hockey team. We do not have the intensity of a playoff hockey team. Hopefully that changes tomorrow

I agree with you that we need an addition during the offseason. But more of what I'm looking for is an addition to a defensemen. To be honest, I wouldn't mind dealing Russell. I know a lot of people are against selling any prospects, and I am too, normally. But his size has been an issue all year. Some will disagree with that, but I have to wonder if they are looking very closely. It's not always about the plays that end in goals against. If you're a defensemen, and opposing forwards are just tossing you off the puck in the defensive zone, that's just not good.

Also, I have to disagree with the bolded statement. I don't think we're quite to the playoff team right now, since we're so inexperianced. You're right, we don't have the intensity. But a LONG way off, is a bit of an exageration, IMO. We already have a good foundation of guys.
Filititov, Brassard, Voracek, Mason, Hejda.

On top of that, we have the guys that have more experiance:
Juice, Umberger, Nash, Commidore, Klesla, Vermette, Tyutin,

We still have a few holes. If we add some depth to the front and back ends, resign some of the players we already have, then next year or the year after, it's just a matter of things clicking. Brassard played amazing in the first half of the season, Vermette is here for another season and had a bad year, but really showed up after thetrade, Juice ahd a bad year, Voracek will in all likelyness be better next year and Mason will have another year under his belt, and hopefully we'll have a goaltender to back him up that we can actually play. (LaCosta perhaps).

Brassard coming back alone makes oure first two lines much more dangerous, Filitov has played a few games and looks promising. I know you can't depend purely on rookies, but Brassard was a rookie last year, came back for two months and was the point-leader on the team above Nash. Not to mention Filitov probably has more promise than Brassard does, and Voracek and showing promise as well and has good size.

We may not be there right now, but I don't think we are in any way a long way off.

Long is of course a subjective term, but the way you use it in all caps I'm assuming you're talking about at least five years until we make it to the conference finals or even don't look awkward in the first round. I'm going to make a guess and say we're one or two years off.

I also forgot to mention Howson and how he's handled the team. He picked up some great long-term contracts last off-season, and we might not see so much activity, but I expect him to make one or two good moves that adds depth to this team.

With no activity, I expect two dangerous lines with a good possibility of a third, and an intense fourth line that can score.

I do think our defensive end is a little shallow though.

Friedrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 08:11 AM
BluejacketNut

Long way off was an observation of how we've played playoff hockey so far. From the looks of it, we are a long way off because we honestly havent shown an ounce of playoff hockey yet, hopefully that will change tonight. But the physicality has not been there, and that is vital for playoff hockey, and so is nastyness which we have shown none of also.

I still dont believe that we make the playoffs had they started a week later then they did. We would have faded and overtaken by Nashville

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 09:01 AM
GScott

Quote:
To put this in perspective...

Seeing as we've been overmatched by a large margin in both of our games so far, it makes me appreciate that Howson didn't do what some of you guys wanted and sold the farm in an effort to pick up that older talent, that while would have evened the gap, would not have put the team over the edge.

Too many to list.

Spezza
Weight
Jokinen
Antropov
I don't think anyone ever advocated giving up anything of value for Weight. Antropov would have been nothing but a pick and I don't recall alot of love for Jokinen from CBJ fans. Spezza is hardly old at 25 and is a PPG player in the playoffs. I don't watch any Ottawa games so my first hand knowledge of him is limited but with this teams consistent scoring issues 5 on 5 and on the powerplay any help would be nice.

Even with Vermette and Brassard this team has holes in the top 6. They need someone who can play physical and actually put pucks in the net. They also need 2 top defenseman with at least one who can QB the PP and a veteran backup goalie that will actually play and push Mason. I used to be on the trade Klesla bandwagon but he has really impressed me in the playoffs. He seems to be built for them and hopefully this series will be his big coming out party. Personally I would trade Russell alone or in a package for a top pair puck moving defenseman that can QB the powerplay. I'm not sold on Russell's ability to bulk up enough to not consistently get knocked off the puck.

GScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 09:43 AM
keithwilliams13

Quote:
Originally Posted by arice89 View Post
I read this article the other day and wondered what the guy was smoking when he wrote this. Columbus has better management and much better young talent than Atlanta had that year. I mean look at what Atlanta dealt at the deadline that year: Coburn and all those picks for Zhitnik and Tkachuk. Everyone knew those trades were horrible and would come back to bite them in the ass.

Columbus will be fine as long as they don't make any dumb decisions with their young talent. I mean for every Atlanta there is a Minnesota or Nashville. Hell, Pittsburgh's first year in the playoffs with their new core they looked horrible. The next year they went to the finals.

It's dumb to compare Columbus to Atlanta.
he says they have better mgmt in the post

"An embarrassment in this year's playoffs for Columbus would be a disappointment, but not a step back for the franchise. Unlike in Atlanta, the Blue Jackets have a solid front office and stable ownership. Despite playing hockey in a football-mad city, Columbus has definitely evolved into a hockey town."

keithwilliams13 is offline   Reply With Quote