HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW Toni Rajala - LuleŚ HF, SHL (2009, 101st, EDM; UFA)

Old
04-20-2009, 03:34 PM
Terror91
Lets Do It.

vCash: 500
I think his play in the under 18 should have some consideration where he is drafted. Anyone think he moves up and if so, how high?

Terror91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 03:48 PM
The PRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshniak View Post
I think his play in the under 18 should have some consideration where he is drafted. Anyone think he moves up and if so, how high?
He will be top25 pick. It is a realistic rank.

The PRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 04:22 PM
Jeffrey

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
For his sake I hope he can be more than a 55 point player who can't speak french
I hope for him he won't have koivu injury record but before his many surgeries and bad luck Koivu was a phenomenal upcoming star and a dominant player at the NHL and international level.

Jeffrey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 04:47 PM
Jonas1235

Is his name Ra-jahla or Rai-ala?

Jonas1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 05:09 PM
Haute Couturier

I wouldn't mind it if the Flyers took him with our first, but I don't think they'll draft someone that small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas1235 View Post
Is his name Ra-jahla or Rai-ala?
Rai-ala.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 05:12 PM
Cherepanisimov

I still don't think he gets picked in the first round, even with this tournament. I'd be a very happy camper if the Rangers somehow got him, but not in the first round. He has all the skill in the world, but it is just so damn risky, and the Rangers are a soft team, as is.

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 05:16 PM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post

Rai-ala.
Ra-yala.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 05:32 PM
Orwell1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshniak View Post
Can't hurt. He certainly peaked at the right time. Scouts are a cautious bunch generally. Throw out the meaningless games though, they don't count. Play verses peers is all that matters, he did well.

Orwell1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 01:15 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherepanisimov View Post
I still don't think he gets picked in the first round, even with this tournament. I'd be a very happy camper if the Rangers somehow got him, but not in the first round. He has all the skill in the world, but it is just so damn risky, and the Rangers are a soft team, as is.
If he doesn't pick in the first round it's pretty hilarious. There is one or two forwards at most who are at his talent level.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 01:31 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

I don't see Rajala getting past the Red Wings so I'd wager he's going to be a first rounder for sure.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 06:32 AM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINNtastic View Post
Off topic, as for Pulkkinen I was a bit disappointed with his shooting accuracy in this tournament (U18) but he still is an intriguing prospect. If I would send some player to the CHL it would be Pulkkinen 'cause he already plays a straight forward NA type of game so he would probably succeed. I wouldn't label him as a power forward-type 'cause in my eyes a power forward's game in based around his hits..like Milan Lucic etc. (or at least that's how I see it)

Pulkkinen on the other hand is more of a sniper with some eagerness to play the body. There hasn't really been a Finnish player like him so it's difficult to compare him. Here's a few tries: Selšnne with less speed but better stickhandling, Tuomo Ruutu with more flash and better hands but less physical, More physical Valtteri Filppula with a better shot.
I think it showed in Pulkkinen's game that he had been sidelined for over a month, he seemed a little tired and lacking routine in the last two games and when counting in the two ankle injuries from the fall, we didn't get to see the best Teemu Pulkkinen in this tournament yet. In the clips from the 5 Nations tournament in Sweden, he looked better and more willing to challenge defensemen (especially against Russia).

Old
04-21-2009, 07:41 AM
pouskin74*

i think Rajala should be defently top 15 in 2009 draft.

pouskin74* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 07:47 AM
ThinMcWhistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
I don't see Rajala getting past the Red Wings so I'd wager he's going to be a first rounder for sure.
Funny, that's what I was thinking too. I could see the Red Wings grabbing him if he is still available at their spot.

Someone said earlier that it would be a good thing for Rajala to get picked by an elite team instead of a bottom feeder, I tend to agree with that.

ThinMcWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 09:43 AM
Panopticon

I'd love for Rajala to end up in Detroit (because I'm a Red Wings fan, and also because I think they're the best team to develop him), but I don't think he will last that long in the draft, despite certain predictions that place him in the second round.

Panopticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 10:23 AM
ThinMcWhistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panopticon View Post
I'd love for Rajala to end up in Detroit (because I'm a Red Wings fan, and also because I think they're the best team to develop him), but I don't think he will last that long in the draft, despite certain predictions that place him in the second round.
I would love to hear from an NHL scout as to where they see Rajala on the list after the u18 tournament. He went up to I believe the 11th spot out of European skaters in the latest scouting report.

I wonder if he has gone up that list to maybe top 5?

Old
04-21-2009, 11:43 PM
bleuetbio

It will be a WJC vs U18 case. He did not shine in WJC and its now completly different now. Before the tournament, I think he was a 3rd rounder. Now, maybe more a 30 to 45th pick IMO. A lot of skills, but maybe his size will do the difference.

About Detroit, maybe Hakan Andersson will recommand more stuff like Klingberg and Rundblad, and maybe more Robin Lehner in 2nd round (but he doesnt look so well in U18)

bleuetbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 09:28 AM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Just out of curiosity, I'd like to know what makes Jordan Schroeder a top 10 pick and Toni Rajala barely a top 15 pick?

Old
04-22-2009, 11:29 AM
FinProspects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Just out of curiosity, I'd like to know what makes Jordan Schroeder a top 10 pick and Toni Rajala barely a top 15 pick?
Theyīre very close IMO. Schroeder is more skilled (yes he is), but Rajala is better skater. Pretty hard to say. Schroeder is from NA, so he has advantage, but it is very close. Also Schroeder is 90-born and Rajala is 91.

FinProspects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 11:45 AM
FINNtastic

It probably has something to do with his 11 points at this year's WJC's and 8 points at the 2008 games. Also I think Schroeder has the advantage of having more exposure.
But would it be possible that Rajala could've scored like Schroeder if Rajala had played in the same line with James Van Riemsdyk and Colin Wilson? Maybe, maybe not.

But it would definitely be interesting to hear how scouts see them as prospects. Their strengths, weaknesses and similarities.

FINNtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 12:58 PM
Lutzinho

rajala defenatly has first round potential, but i could see him falling to the early second round.

Lutzinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 05:04 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
I stated the same thing on a u-18 thread on the International Tournaments page. I think it is Finprospects said Schroeder is from NA and Schroeder is also 180 lbs compared to Rajala's 160 soaking wet, and Schroeder is equipped with better training programs than you would get in Finland.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 05:14 PM
FINNtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
I stated the same thing on a u-18 thread on the International Tournaments page. I think it is Finprospects said Schroeder is from NA and Schroeder is also 180 lbs compared to Rajala's 160 soaking wet, and Schroeder is equipped with better training programs than you would get in Finland.
Can you explain what you mean by better training programs? NCAA teams have better training programs than professional ice hockey teams from Finland?

FINNtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 05:16 PM
ThinMcWhistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutzinho View Post
rajala defenatly has first round potential, but i could see him falling to the early second round.
You might be right, and it's really unfortunate. Not that Rajala should care much in the end other than not having the prestige of being a first round pick.

I truly think that teams that pass on him will be kicking themselves a few years down the road when this kid is tearing it up.

Old
04-22-2009, 07:55 PM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Quote:
Well the weight thing would do it, although Schroeder doesn't have much room to grow weightwise while Rajala has plenty so therefore for shouldn't Rajala have a bigger upside? And the training programs? Missed, wide right.

Last edited by Jussi: 04-22-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old
04-23-2009, 08:15 AM
jepjepjoo

Quote:
Weight is less a factor than height... you can always bulk up, but you really can't get that extra inch.

As for the training part:

jepjepjoo is offline   Reply With Quote