HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I am glad we have so many UFA’s this season

Old
04-21-2009, 02:17 PM
WestIslander

vCash: 500
I am glad we have so many UFA’s this season

I am glad we have so many UFA’s this season, reason being that this is the time to move forward and decide the following:

1. Who the core of the team will consist of going forward
2. Where is leadership going to come from in the form of captains and assistant captains
3. Which goalie to move forward with
4. Who we want to build around (youngsters)
5. Who we want to pursue on the free agent market

We all know that the days of Kovalev, Koivu, Hamrlik, Brisebois, Dandenault and Bouillon are coming to an end!

The positive thing is that we have the likes of Pacioretty, D’Agostini, Lapierre, Latendresse, Weber, Komisarek, Gorges, Price and Halak to look forward to.

On a side note: Subban, McDonagh, Belle, Kristo and other notables are waiting to be signed.

I think Gainey (or whoever is making the decisions come summer time) needs to sit down and weed out what has proved to be a failure in this city and that is gutless, heartless, effortless and selfish players along with incompetent and over rated player personnel within the organization.

I would honestly build around the following core line up:

Price, Halak, Komisarek, Weber, Gorges, Subban, McDonagh, Belle, Pacioretty, D’Agostini, Lapierre, Latendresse and Higgins.

A lot of you must be wondering why I left out the likes of the Kostitsyn brothers and Plekanec. The reason is that they have proven to be inconsistent, soft and not able to perform when it matters (playoffs), I really think that we can try offering them to someone with a first round draft pick to either move up in the draft to get the best possible centre or get a current NHL ready center.

We need to get better down the middle (centre), we need to get grittier and meaner, we need to re-evaluate our defensive core and need a new goalie coach along with a proven backup/mentor for Price and/or Halak.

All I can say is that I am looking forward to the draft, July 1st and then training camp to see if management is serious about this team and it’s future.

Last edited by WestIslander: 04-21-2009 at 02:32 PM.
WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 02:31 PM
Etienne

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
I am glad we have so many UFA’s this season, reason being that this is the time to move forward and decide the following:

2. Where is leadership going to come from in the form of captains and assistant captains

We all know that the days of Kovalev, Koivu, Hamrlik, Brisebois, Dandenault and Bouillon are coming to an end!

The positive thing is that we have the likes of Pacioretty, D’Agostini, Lapierre, Latendresse, Weber, Komisarek, Gorges, Price and Halak to look forward to.

On a side note: Subban, McDonagh, Belle, Kristo and other notables are waiting to be signed.

I think Gainey (or whoever is making the decisions come summer time) needs to sit down and weed out what has proved to be a failure in this city and that is gutless, heartless, effortless and selfish players along with incompetent and over rated player personnel within the organization.

Price, Halak, Komisarek, Weber, Gorges, Subban, McDonagh, Belle, Pacioretty, D’Agostini, Lapierre, Latendresse and Higgins.

A lot of you must be wondering why I left out the likes of the Kostitsyn brothers and Plekanec. The reason is that they have proven to be inconsistent, soft and not able to perform when it matters (playoffs), I really think that we can try offering them to someone with a first round draft pick to either move up in the draft to get the best possible centre or get a current NHL ready center.

We needs to get better down the middle (centre), we need to get grittier and meaner, we need to re-evaluate our defensive core and we need a new goalie coach along with a proven backup/mentor for Price and/or Halak.

All I can say is that I am looking forward to the draft, July 1st and then training camp to see if management is serious about this team and it’s future.
If that were true, who the hell would trade their 1st or a #1 center for those guys?

And by the way, those 3 guys were among the 9 players who gives a **** enough to come to practice today.

Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 02:35 PM
WestIslander

Quote:
If that were true, who the hell would trade their 1st or a #1 center for those guys?

And by the way, those 3 guys were among the 9 players who gives a **** enough to come to practice today.
Holding a "optional practice" going into game 4 down 3-0 in the series is the problem, not who decided and who didn't decide to show up to practice!

We clearly see that Gainey is no longer interested in moving forward with this team, just listen to the comments he makes to the media and rights holders like RDS.

Old
04-21-2009, 02:37 PM
maci4life

Quote:

We needs to get better down the middle (centre), we need to get grittier and meaner, we need to re-evaluate our defensive core and we need a new goalie coach along with a proven backup/mentor for Price and/or Halak.

Ayemen, i'm looking forward to the summer as well.

I can't be a loyal fan of a team that is so heartless and gutless.

1. core is pacs, D'ago, weber subban, emelin, valentenko, halak, price, mcdonough and fisher. the rest is either gone via UFA or trade bait. including komi and higgins.

2. the next superstar will be the captian. someone who wears his heart on his sleeve.

3. Halak becomes #1 until price cools down and gains his rhythm back.

4. our core is the youth movement that we'll build around.

i say we go philly 2.0.

get our version of briere ie. big ufa acquisition ( vinny ). from there who knows, cause that will be a lot of changes by itself.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 02:38 PM
Cupmonger

eh... starting as another "TRADE'EM ALL!!" thread...
Where have i seen this before?

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 02:40 PM
WestIslander

It's not a "Trade 'Em All" thread, it's UFA's leaving. That's it and that's all!!!

Old
04-21-2009, 02:41 PM
ppil

Quote:

We need to get better down the middle (centre), we need to get grittier and meaner, we need to re-evaluate our defensive core and need a new goalie coach along with a proven backup/mentor for Price and/or Halak.

All true, you just forgot to mention Markov, he's our best player, our superstar and if Koivu and Kovalev aren't back, then I think he should be our captain (if we don't get any Lecavalier or guys like that...)

Last edited by ppil: 04-21-2009 at 02:47 PM.
ppil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 02:43 PM
DougHarvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by maci4life View Post
Ayemen, i'm looking forward to the summer as well.

I can't be a loyal fan of a team that is so heartless and gutless.

1. core is pacs, D'ago, weber subban, emelin, valentenko, halak, price, mcdonough and fisher. the rest is either gone via UFA or trade bait. including komi and higgins.

2. the next superstar will be the captian. someone who wears his heart on his sleeve.

3. Halak becomes #1 until price cools down and gains his rhythm back.

4. our core is the youth movement that we'll build around.

i say we go philly 2.0.

get our version of briere ie. big ufa acquisition ( vinny ). from there who knows, cause that will be a lot of changes by itself.

1. No Lapierre or Latendresse but valentenko and emelin who may never come over.

2. Vinny is not a UFA and if we trade for him, then parts of your core are going the other way.

Please think before you post.

DougHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 03:01 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by maci4life View Post

No Markov? How many years will it take to be successful according to your "core"?

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 03:01 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougHarvey View Post
=Please think before you post.
Your asking too much.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 03:06 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougHarvey View Post
1. No Lapierre or Latendresse but valentenko and emelin who may never come over.

2. Vinny is not a UFA and if we trade for him, then parts of your core are going the other way.

Please think before you post.
Seems like a reasonable request...

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 03:12 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
"3. Which goalie to move forward with"

Trade Halak if a good offer comes along and sign Biron or Khabibulin to a 2 year deal. Price needs someone to take the pressure off of him and someone management can be confident in. To that end, Huet was perfect until he signed that 5 million deal.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 03:22 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

I don't know if having so many of them being UFA is a good thing. Most of them are players who cared, sadly.

We have only 3 players between 27 and 31, Tanguay, Markov and Kostopoulos. I believe the ideal core of a good contending team should be made of players around that age. Older players are needed to bring experience and consistancy but we can't count on them for production. Young players are needed to bring energy but we can't count on them for consistancy. We had too much young players, too many old guys and not enough players in their prime.

A lot of blame goes to poor drafting in the late 90s and early 2000 for this situation. We can try to restock with free agents or trades, but either way its clear we need to rejuvenate our core. We still need some of the UFAs to be back but the team shouldn't have to rely on Koivu, Kovalev or Lang to win.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 03:33 PM
baldrick

How can a core player be someone who hasn't played one NHL game?

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 05:27 PM
Habs13

Belle? Shawn Belle?? Are you serious???

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 06:56 PM
Phousse

Is Belle any good? I heard he was supposed to be good when he was drafted, but he **** the bed with every team he's been with.

Phousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 06:57 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiffle View Post
Is Belle any good? I heard he was supposed to be good when he was drafted, but he **** the bed with every team he's been with.
He's not. Belle is probably a career AHL, 7th or 8th defensemen top if he ever returns to the NHL.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote