HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Janne Pesonen

Old
04-21-2009, 06:26 PM
urho

vCash: 500
Janne Pesonen

He played a good regular season in the AHL (70gp, 32+50=82p.) but never really had a change to show it up in the NHL. He's having some sort of injury now but do you think there are any NHL-teams interested in him? He has said he's too old for another AHL-year so there's no way he'd accept a 2-way deal.

I think he's most likely going back to Europe next year but i really feel sorry for the guy. NHL is his dream and I think he does have the potential to play at this level.

urho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 06:29 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 06:41 PM
AK

He's looked beyond terrible when he has gotten a chance with the Penguins this year.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 06:43 PM
urho

There's no mountains in Finland!

Old
04-21-2009, 06:43 PM
Selanne08*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post
He's looked beyond terrible when he has gotten a chance with the Penguins this year.
yeah from what I remember he wasn't willing to fight in the corners and he was slower than people thought. but everyone deserves a second chance right? trade him

Selanne08* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 06:54 PM
wej20

He wasn't given a great chance with the Pens,He might take another year deal to give it one more shot or he might head straight back to Europe.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 07:04 PM
urho

Quote:
Well, I only saw 1 NHL-game from him and he played for about 6 minutes. How can you possibly be good with that kind of ice time? I remember him starting with Malkin, played 2 shifts (I think he looked again)... and then again his 3rd shift in the 2nd period with 4th line. Therrien had kinda interesting plan for him I'm sure.

You can very well be right on what you say, tho. Maybe he just isn't good enough for top-6 role in the NHL. Any AHL-followers who have some more information on his level of play this year?

Old
04-21-2009, 09:42 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 627
I forgot all about that guy; before the season started, I was thinking he'd be a darkhorse sniper, set to star on Sid's wing for the majority of the year and rack up tons of points.

Even drafted him onto a few teams, but that didn't last long.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 11:24 PM
AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by urho View Post
Well, I only saw 1 NHL-game from him and he played for about 6 minutes. How can you possibly be good with that kind of ice time? I remember him starting with Malkin, played 2 shifts (I think he looked again)... and then again his 3rd shift in the 2nd period with 4th line. Therrien had kinda interesting plan for him I'm sure.

You can very well be right on what you say, tho. Maybe he just isn't good enough for top-6 role in the NHL. Any AHL-followers who have some more information on his level of play this year?
The guy definitely has some skills, but he's kind of like Petr Sykora v. 2.0.

He floats around and opens up for shots, and he's very hesitant to play a physical brand of hockey. I would love for him to succeed, but his game just seems more suited for Finland than the NHL.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 11:30 PM
RottenScoundrel

For whatever the reason, Pessonen never got an opportunity to play top six minutes in Pittsburgh. I suppose Michael Therrien is to blame because Bylsma has given nothing but positive remarks about him.

I look for the Pens to re-sign him, thus giving him a legitimate opportunity to crack the top six this summer during training camp. If he doesn't make it the Pens will try to find a suitor that can use him or he'll simply head back to Europe.

RottenScoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 01:14 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
He never got a real chance in Pittsburgh. You don't put a finesse player in a mucking role for 5 minutes or less for a few games and then cast judgment.

A good coach puts players in position to succeed. Therrien absolutely didn't do that with Pesonen.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 01:24 AM
Jimmy McNulty

I can't help but think that some team with a hole in their Top 6 would give him a shot, and if it doesn't work out then he can just go home. Similar to the other recent FAs from Europe.

Jimmy McNulty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 01:25 AM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post

Even drafted him onto a few teams, but that didn't last long.
Reminds me of when i took Haydar on fantasy teams. He got his NHL shot and did nothing with it. Adios Darren.
Not everyone can handle the jump.

leaflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 04:10 AM
urho

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover View Post
Not everyone can handle the jump.
You're absolutely right. What bothers me is that Pesonen never really had a change. His coach in the AHL said he developed a lot during season (basically adjusting his style to American style of hockey) but guess what; he didn't see NHL-time at all after that.

Maybe he'll go to Europe, plays a couple of fantastic seasons and we'll see if any NHL-teams takes the risk and offers him a one-way contract.

Old
04-22-2009, 05:19 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by urho View Post
You're absolutely right. What bothers me is that Pesonen never really had a change. His coach in the AHL said he developed a lot during season (basically adjusting his style to American style of hockey) but guess what; he didn't see NHL-time at all after that.
Your view closely resembles that of many Pens fans, and certainly mine too. On the opposite side there are several others who believe he looked too out of place when he was up. Something I personally consider ludicrous considering the minutes he got and the lines he got them on.

In any case the AHL coach you mention is now the head coach of the Pens, and as such, should he stay on after the season which looks more than likely, Pesonen probably has as good a shot at making it with us as he is going to get. Especially considering how little money we will have to put into other top6 wingers.

Satan won't be there, and considering how Sykora's playoff performances are coming, that non-gritty top6 winger spot doesn't exactly look like it is fire proof for him anymore. He was also rather disappointing in last years playoff save for that epic OT winner in game5. Pesonen can not be less effective defensively, and while he might not score as many goals as Petr does, he should be able to dish for Malkin more. I like the thought of Pesonen as a cheaper and potentially better solution than Sykora.

The question is whether Pesonen will give us that chance after what could easily be perceived as a snub this season. Ultimately I think it was more a matter of Therrien being stubborn and us being really short on grit up front to the point that accommodating more smallish skill players was hard.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 05:28 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

I totally expect him to be given a top 6 shot by another team and thrive, just to prove the MT is the worst coach ever.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 07:56 AM
SteelGeno

Quote:

agreed, but he was never really put into a place to succeed.....MT put him on the 4th line, he was getting 5 min of ice time a game at most. I think he can score 15-20G in this leauge in a scoring winger role

SteelGeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 08:53 AM
4rde

I honestly hope pens dont resign sykora and put Pesonen to the 2nd line.

But i dont think Pesonen would work out with Malkin.

4rde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 10:01 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

For those who said he looked horrible in his time in the NHL, I whole-heartedly disagree.

He played in a muddy Therrien system where offensive creativity was chained up and forgotten about. Pesonen played pretty well in the AHL under Bylsma for most of the season, and I think he would be just fine if he was given a real shot.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

If the NHL really is his "dream", then he would take a two-way deal for next year. Because no organization should give him a one-way contract on a whim and a prayer.

Too much was made of the Therrien system and Pesonen not getting a chance. GM Ray Shero and new coach Dan Bylsma weren't bending over backwards to get him in the big-league lineup, either. There's a reason for that.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote