HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Shooting R/L vs. RH-Shot/LH-shot?

Old
04-22-2009, 07:02 AM
Pierre Gotye

vCash: 500
Shooting R/L vs. RH-Shot/LH-shot?

Ok...So...need some clarity here as I am a bit confused:

"When you shoot left, the hand in the middle of the stick is your left hand, and the hand at the top of the stick is your right hand. When you are skating fast, or stretching to reach a far away puck, you end up with only your top hand on the stick - as explained above, in the case of a left shot player, that would be your right hand.

That is why right handed people (which is most people) end up shooting left - so that when they have to handle their stick with just one hand, it is their dominant right hand."

* Of 1071 NHL players and prospects, 65% shoot left.
* Among forwards only, 61% shoot left.
* Among defencemen, 72% shoot left.

http://www.darrenbarefoot.com/archiv...hoot-left.html

I guess that would make me someone who shoots left? I hold my stick just like Kubina does:

So does this mean I shoot left? There seems to be some inconsistency on this depending on what website you see.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 07:12 AM
MrRuin

its quite easy. The side your stick is at when you hit a puck to shoot with a normal forehand shot --> side you are shooting.

The guy in the pic is shooting right from the way he is holding his stick in that pic.

MrRuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 07:40 AM
TBLightningFan

Send a message via AIM to TBLightningFan Send a message via MSN to TBLightningFan
I am just now getting into hockey classes. I am going through this debate on which I should do. I am right handed in all aspects of life. As advised by many at the rink, I picked up a left stick. It makes some sense doing it that way. Plus since I am learning, I figured I should do it the right way. Also, I stop way better with my right side, so that make it easier to shoot left also.

Now for the wrinkle... I have been a bowler for the previous 20 years and you could imagine how much more strength I have on my right side from throwing 16 pounds 50-60 times a night (2-3 times a week). I used to bowl in some tournaments where I had 10-12 matches in a day.

I tried shooting both ways and when I do so on the right, it feels like I have way more power with it. The left I can somewhat see where I have more control (hard to tell), and where situations with only one hand on the stick it would be an advantage.

What is everyones opinion? Should I continue to learn shooting left, or should I switch to the right putting my much, much stronger side lower on the stick?

Last edited by TBLightningFan: 04-22-2009 at 07:53 AM.
TBLightningFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 07:44 AM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRuin View Post
its quite easy. The side your stick is at when you hit a puck to shoot with a normal forehand shot --> side you are shooting.

The guy in the pic is shooting right from the way he is holding his stick in that pic.
But he is shooting to his left side isn't he? Now I am all confused!

Old
04-22-2009, 08:07 AM
qwertysac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
But he is shooting to his left side isn't he? Now I am all confused!
your left, his right.

qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 08:54 AM
noobman

Kubina shoots right... therefore you are a right handed shooter (his right hand is the lower hand)

For the person who is debating which hand he should use.... that should come naturally. Most people just pick up the stick and instinctively go to the handedness that they'll be using.

If you're good enough to have a choice between left/right at this point, I would recommend learning to shoot right. There aren't as many righty shooters out there.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 09:04 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

i dont know where the confusion is. a left handed shooter has their right hand on top of their stick, opposite for a right ahnded shooter.

most people that play hockey left handed may do other things right handed, like write or even golf(rolston, naslund). the point of the quote is that some left handed shooters are actually right hand dominate. their dominant hand(right hand) is on the top of the stick. the top hand of the stick does most of the controlling of the stick, the bottom hand is for most of your power.

i do every thing right handed. i guess when i was really young using a rightie stick felt natural to me. it may have been forced on me but im not sure. if i had become a left handed shot, my stick control may have been better.

most left(or even right) catching goalies are good shooters because they are using their natural stick.

example, martin brodeur catches left and uses a left handed curved stick. if he were to skate up he would still use a left handed stick. he would also probably throw a baseball right handed and catch with the left

me, i catch left handed as a goalie but use a right handed stick when skating up, so my shot as a goalie isnt that great. i also catch left handed when playing baseball and throw right handed

there arent many full left handed people so that 65% number is somewhat misleading. they shoot left handed but not all of them are fully left handed

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 09:20 AM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertysac View Post
your left, his right.
So if I shoot the same direction Kubina does, does that make me a r/h shot or shooting left?

Old
04-22-2009, 09:46 AM
k1llua

Send a message via AIM to k1llua
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
So if I shoot the same direction Kubina does, does that make me a r/h shot or shooting left?
You're a right hand shot AND you shoot right. They mean the same thing.

k1llua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 10:29 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLightningFan View Post
I am just now getting into hockey classes. I am going through this debate on which I should do. I am right handed in all aspects of life. As advised by many at the rink, I picked up a left stick. It makes some sense doing it that way. Plus since I am learning, I figured I should do it the right way. Also, I stop way better with my right side, so that make it easier to shoot left also.

Now for the wrinkle... I have been a bowler for the previous 20 years and you could imagine how much more strength I have on my right side from throwing 16 pounds 50-60 times a night (2-3 times a week). I used to bowl in some tournaments where I had 10-12 matches in a day.

I tried shooting both ways and when I do so on the right, it feels like I have way more power with it. The left I can somewhat see where I have more control (hard to tell), and where situations with only one hand on the stick it would be an advantage.

What is everyones opinion? Should I continue to learn shooting left, or should I switch to the right putting my much, much stronger side lower on the stick?
My opinion, continue to shoot left. You not get your strength but also control from your dominant hand.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 10:24 AM
chrisg19

I am right handed in life, and shoot right handed in hockey. I could not ever imagine shooting lefty. I would go with whichever is most comfortable for you. If both are just as comfortable than I guess you should do what most say and shoot lefty. Wasn't an option for me.

chrisg19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 01:27 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
My opinion, continue to shoot left. You not get your strength but also control from your dominant hand.
If you think you get most of the strength in shooting from your arms, your technique is probably completely pathetic. Shooting, even a wrister, is 75% in the legs. End thread.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

This thread is blowing my mind

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 05:09 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaWrista View Post
If you think you get most of the strength in shooting from your arms, your technique is probably completely pathetic. Shooting, even a wrister, is 75% in the legs. End thread.
If your shooting is as good as your reading comprehension, you should stay on the bench.

Old
04-23-2009, 06:41 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
If your shooting is as good as your reading comprehension, you should stay on the bench.
Hey Einstein, ask any hockey coach where the real shooting power comes from. Anyway, the arms help the shooting accuracy, more than the shooting power. Personally, I think 80% of RH people are supposed to shoot lefty, so we indirectly agree anyway

Old
04-23-2009, 11:18 PM
LarryO

If 65% of the players shoot left-handed, and 65% of the population writes right-handed (or whatever the exact amount is) don't conclude that all or most left-handed shooters write right-handed. Maybe 65% of left-handed shooters write right-handed and 65% of right-handed shooters write right-handed too. People tend to confuse the figures in these left-right discussions. If you're already more comfortable right-handed, don't switch because some people believe that you should. There are as many people who think that you don't need to switch.

LarryO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 12:17 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
If 65% of the players shoot left-handed, and 65% of the population writes right-handed (or whatever the exact amount is) don't conclude that all or most left-handed shooters write right-handed. Maybe 65% of left-handed shooters write right-handed and 65% of right-handed shooters write right-handed too. People tend to confuse the figures in these left-right discussions. If you're already more comfortable right-handed, don't switch because some people believe that you should. There are as many people who think that you don't need to switch.
Just to clear it up, 90% of the pop is RH, and 65%+ of the NHL shoots LH. A large majority of those shooting LH are RH. But if you've been playing RH for more than a few months, it's usually silly to try and change.

Old
04-24-2009, 03:55 AM
LarryO

Quote:
Just to clear it up, 90% of the pop is RH, and 65%+ of the NHL shoots LH. A large majority of those shooting LH are RH. But if you've been playing RH for more than a few months, it's usually silly to try and change.
And what percentage of those shooting RH are RH? Also a large majority? Out of curiosity, where can we get the exact stats?

LarryO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 11:23 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Hey Einstein, ask any hockey coach where the real shooting power comes from. Anyway, the arms help the shooting accuracy, more than the shooting power. Personally, I think 80% of RH people are supposed to shoot lefty, so we indirectly agree anyway
Actually, you seem to have no idea what I said.

Old
04-24-2009, 11:30 AM
Gino 14

Right handed vs Left handed

Straight forward and to the point.

Old
04-24-2009, 11:45 AM
MoonlightGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLightningFan View Post

I'm right handed in every aspect of life and I shoot right. In theory right-handed peole shoot left but it doesn't work for everyone. I think you should just go for whatever you feel is more natural or comfortable. As the original poster said, about 35% of NHL players shoot right. A lot of them are right-handed for everything else (since only what 10% of people are left-handed or something like that?).

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 11:46 AM
OprtnShtdwn

I'm a left handed shot and play baseball right handed at everything.

Luckily, my first year or two of baseball, my dad tried to force me to bat left handed, as it would help me down the road... easier to hit a righty while batting lefty than vice vursa. However, i found batting righty to come more natural.

The same thing happened for me in hockey. I always played righty when i was young until one day i broke my stick. All i had at my house was left handed sticks so I started using that instead. Now, I'm a full fledge left handed shooter. Works great for me especially when i'm playing goalie as I can play the puck just as good as my defenseman now. Very frustrating for the other team when they dump it, and I get to fire it right back out of the zone to my winger.

Anyways, I would do whatever comes natural to you. Don't decide to be lefty or righty based on how many players are lefty or righty on the ice with you. Just go with your gut man.

OprtnShtdwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 07:54 AM
CanadaBacon

This thread hurts my head.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 08:31 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I'm a lefty in virtually everything in life. The only things I don't do with my left side are cutting with scissors and soccer (I kick better with my right foot). Now, I'm not very good at hockey, in fact I'm pretty bad. But I still play, and I play with a lefty stick and shoot lefty. Shooting righty just feels all wrong. Is that strange?

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 02:03 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
This thread hurts my head.
The left side or the right side? If it hurts on both you're ambidextrous.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote