HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Demers Speculates Schneider and Tanguay Faking Injuries

Old
04-22-2009, 08:34 AM
DougHarvey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Demers is an idiot. He lost all respect and credibility this season for me. Just another talking head furthering his own agenda now, nothing more.
This + 1000

His crocodile tears and completely inane rants are enough.I have never seen anyone talk so much and still say nothing.

This is not a personal attack against the person , but his inability a journalist/analyst.I know he venerated by many on these boards.

DougHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hermamoud

Maybe Demers read their medical reports.

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
Demers lost all credibility when he was in tears and bringing up Beliveau's name back in January. The guy is an idiot and in love with his own voice. He should be banned from the Bell Center. This idiot is ridiculous. Considering the BS the media must have put him through when he coached this team, you'd think he'd know better and at least have some empathy. But he creates BS just like any other member of the crazy Montreal media.

Just about sums it up for me man.

I think it's speculative crap.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 08:36 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
The irony.

I am giving you an example of how the media has taken something that seems to be pure speculation, turned it into accusation against a player, and no one is defending either player. Rather, the focus is on the media and if they are credible or not...

Whether it is a reason to cause speculation and rumors, or just to force the players to play, the players must be protected and supported!

I also waited for a newspaper to run the story before posting because it was a live interview on the radio/television and wanted a link for you to read first.
Well I think I did defend the players in a round about way. You defend them by punishing the member of the media who made up this story by banning him from the Bell Center. Schneider and Tanguay quite simply do not deserve this treatment and their names dragged through the mud.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 08:38 AM
gillyguzzler

Can you believe it? The media taking liberties with what someone in the media said! Poetic justice.

Poor Demers is losing it though. What about his spitting rant on AK46 and his "slash" that completely destroyed any momentum the Habs had. The following PK was incredible.

During the previous game, Sergei's stupid penalty did mess up the momentum.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 08:41 AM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Well I think I did defend the players in a round about way. You defend them by punishing the member of the media who made up this story by banning him from the Bell Center. Schneider and Tanguay quite simply do not deserve this treatment and their names dragged through the mud.
I agree. I'm watching the Saku interview yesterday and in the background, holding a mic to his face, is Labbe. The team and the players should tell that low life to get the fack out of the dressing room.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
Just about sums it up for me man.

I think it's speculative crap.
So you watch or listen to Jacques Demers in Boston? He's a bigger star than I thought. Or maybe you get La Presse in Boston and you read french. Or you watch 110 % on TV. What channel does it come on in Boston?

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Brilliant. +1000. This is where the franchise has to go to bring players into the city and franchise. Prove to everyone around the league that you support the players.

Boston has had to spend the last 5-6 years trying to erase the stigma and negative persona that the franchise had with players around the league. The Sinden/Jacobs era cost the team decades of dislike and lack of respect from the NHLPA. I still remember Modano, Messier, Guerin, etc talking trash and other players not wanting to come to Boston. This are only now starting to change here where players feel respected and want to play and come here.

It has to start somewhere.

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 08:46 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestLEAFfan View Post
Despite all the negativity surrounding your team with players playing or not playing hurt, at least one thing is certain.....YOUR TEAM MADE THE PLAYOFFS!!! It could be much worse people....just ask a LEAF fan!
Standing waist high in **** is much better than being up to your neck in ****, you're right on that. However if you are standing waist high in ****, you still can't really deny the fact that you're still standing in ****.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 08:49 AM
Ross MacLochness

So now the Montreal media has teamed up with the Toronto media to stir up more **** for this team? Easily the best news I've ever heard. Of course it had to be that slime ball Zeisberger involved. This ******** hates the Montreal Canadiens more than I hate Bruins fans. ****er has probably had a constant woody on the past 2 months.

As for Demers and his buddies, just **** off. That's all I have to say to them.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 08:50 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
You mean "there was a report circulating yesterday that former Habs coach Jacques Demers claimed Schneider and Tanguay may have bailed out in order to concentrate on their futures" ?

"There was a report"? Maybe a link quoting Demers would be better. No?
The comments were allegedly made on Monday's edition of TSN's Off The Record, the show is likely still available on the web (or as a podcast) for anyone who wants to get the information first hand.

I know you like to play devil's advocate on this topic Bill, but in this instance Demers really stepped in it. Accusing Schneider and Tanguay of sitting out because they're impending UFAs is beyond the pale. This goes well beyond the usual yammering on call in shows, when a member of the media levels this kind of accusation he/she should be called on to either defend or retract their statements.

I agree with PPJ, this effectively kills Jacques Demers’ remaining credibility. No one in the organization from a hotdog seller at the Bell Centre right on up to Gillett is going to talk to the guy again.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mustafa*

http://www.corussports.com/hockey/em...2-1524151.html

Quote:
Mercredi matin, à l'émission « Sport du lit », Jacques Demers a précisé son affirmation : « À moins qu'il ne soit arrivé quelque chose que je n'ai pas vu, je suis convaincu que Tanguay s'est blessé lors de la collision avec Chara lors de l'avant-dernier match de la saison. Je ne connais pas l'étendue de sa blessure, à savoir s'il l'a aggravée ou non. S'il est blessé au point où l'on craint pour sa carrière, on ne prendra aucun risque. Je n'accuserai pas un joueur que j'ai croisé, il y a six semaines, et qui me disait qu'il voulait jouer alors qu'il n'était pas à 100 %. »

Demers a complété en disant qu'en séries, « plusieurs joueurs vont jouer, même blessés ».
The Sun medias are notorious Quebec bashers and are trying to portray the city as bad as they can*.

*When they design a post apocaliptic scenario if the Habs loose tonight.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
Strangely enough - Demers is not the media but the last cup winning coach here. He strongly believes what he says and he is a sold out habs fan so I have all the respect possible regardless of what he could be saying.

Even when he says strange stuff, he never intended to harm the team, as others clearly did.

Now, what he says there does sound stupid - and to do it on a Toronto radio station, no less !

You cannot put Demers in the same group with Villeneuve, Bergeron or Rejaune.
Demers is the same idiot who was crying on the eve of The Darkest Day in Habs Histotry. I always like Jacques but he's no different than the other mediots now. It's sad but it's true.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 09:05 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
The irony.

I am giving you an example of how the media has taken something that seems to be pure speculation, turned it into accusation against a player, and no one is defending either player. Rather, the focus is on the media and if they are credible or not...

Whether it is a reason to cause speculation and rumors, or just to force the players to play, the players must be protected and supported!

I also waited for a newspaper to run the story before posting because it was a live interview on the radio/television and wanted a link for you to read first.
I think that most of us on this forum inherently acknowledge that this report has no truth to it. We see so many of these a year, that reasonable fans know that there really isn't much need to put effort into proving these kinds of reports wrong. People usually just skip that step and jump ahead to bashing the media. If you wait around a bit, you might see the ultimate end of these threads, which is some debate on the language issue in Quebec.

Back on topic, I agree with what you're saying. Certain members of the media in Montreal are a complete joke and I think they are very harmful to the team's image and the reputation of its players. I'm hoping that the team does something to limit some of the instigator's access to the team and the players for next season, as this season has had way too many false reports and examples of rumour mongering. However, McPhee and some other knowledgeable posters in the past have argued that this would only make things worse and I can see their point.

However, in the end, the media would not put out stories like this if there wasn't a large portion of the public that was willing to consume them; that is the sad truth about this situation. These types of stories are not put out there for real fans of the team, that appreciate and understand the players. These kinds of articles are put out there for uninformed drama queens who love a good old fashioned media slander fest. The fact that these reports are growing in number, only suggests that the "fans" they appeal to are growing in number as well.

The media represents the general public they report to, and unfortunately there is a large portion of the general public that wants to see members of this team get slandered and figuratively, if not literally crucified. There's a large portion of Habs "fans" that would rather see a dramatic season, than a successful one. There's a large portion of Habs fans that deal only in extremes, whether that is in praising, or criticizing the team. The types of ridiculous reports we see in the media are just mirroring this, and it's ****ing sad to see.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 09:13 AM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges of the Jungle View Post
I think that most of us on this forum inherently acknowledge that this report has no truth to it. We see so many of these a year, that reasonable fans know that there really isn't much need to put effort into proving these kinds of reports wrong. People usually just skip that step and jump ahead to bashing the media. If you wait around a bit, you might see the ultimate end of these threads, which is some debate on the language issue in Quebec.

Back on topic, I agree with what you're saying. Certain members of the media in Montreal are a complete joke and I think they are very harmful to the team's image and the reputation of its players. I'm hoping that the team does something to limit some of the instigator's access to the team and the players for next season, as this season has had way too many false reports and examples of rumour mongering. However, McPhee and some other knowledgeable posters in the past have argued that this would only make things worse and I can see their point.

However, in the end, the media would not put out stories like this if there wasn't a large portion of the public that was willing to consume them; that is the sad truth about this situation. These types of stories are not put out there for real fans of the team, that appreciate and understand the players. These kinds of articles are put out there for uninformed drama queens who love a good old fashioned media slander fest. The fact that these reports are growing in number, only suggests that the "fans" they appeal to are growing in number as well.

The media represents the general public they report to, and unfortunately there is a large portion of the general public that wants to see members of this team get slandered and figuratively, if not literally crucified. There's a large portion of Habs "fans" that would rather see a dramatic season, than a successful one. There's a large portion of Habs fans that deal only in extremes, whether that is in praising, or criticizing the team. The types of ridiculous reports we see in the media are just mirroring this, and it's ****ing sad to see.
I agree with you there. We are now beyond the first logical step - that is to check for truth and defend the players. There is no need for that - we all know it's false.

The media are trying to turn the Habs into a reality show - Loft Story or Occupation Double.

The next step will be
"You can decide which Hab player or coach is the next to leave the Loft. Vote at 1 800.... only 99 cents a call. Today's endangered names are:

Bob Gainey
Chris Higgins
Carey Price.

You choose and we take care of the rest."

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 09:13 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
This season sure has been fun.
Depends on your version of fun. The mediots have ruined it for me that is for sure.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 09:14 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
The comments were allegedly made on Monday's edition of TSN's Off The Record, the show is likely still available on the web (or as a podcast) for anyone who wants to get the information first hand.

I know you like to play devil's advocate on this topic Bill, but in this instance Demers really stepped in it. Accusing Schneider and Tanguay of sitting out because they're impending UFAs is beyond the pale. This goes well beyond the usual yammering on call in shows, when a member of the media levels this kind of accusation he/she should be called on to either defend or retract their statements.

I agree with PPJ, this effectively kills Jacques Demers’ remaining credibility. No one in the organization from a hotdog seller at the Bell Centre right on up to Gillett is going to talk to the guy again.
You are right. The monday edition of Off the record is still available for viewing. Those accusations about faking injuries must be on some other show, though. Not a word about Tanguay or Schneider on what I saw. Weird, isn't it?

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 09:16 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Depends on your version of fun. The mediots have ruined it for me that is for sure.
About as fun as a kick to the junk.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 09:22 AM
airlouche

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Demers is an idiot. He lost all respect and credibility this season for me. Just another talking head furthering his own agenda now, nothing more.

Idiot? He's the last coach who bring you a Stanley Cup!

airlouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 09:24 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

And people wonder why high profile UFA's don't want to come and play in Montreal.........
Just like playing for the Yankees in the MLB... no matter what you do, you are under the microscope 24/7.
Some people don't want to deal with that....

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 09:31 AM
AH

Quote:
You are right. The monday edition of Off the record is still available for viewing. Those accusations about faking injuries must be on some other show, though. Not a word about Tanguay or Schneider on what I saw. Weird, isn't it?
He was on AM640 Toronto with Bill Watters and Dreger. I heard the interview because I happened to be going to a lunch meeting.

Demers didn't say it outright, but just mentioning the two names, the injuries, and 'maybe not wanting to play to make it worse with free agency looming' can only lead to what is now coming out.

And now Demers is backtracking. Whether he meant it or not, he shouldn't have said what he said.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 09:39 AM
habfan4

Quote:
No Bill it's not weird at all.

OTR has a one on one question and answer segment with Lansberg and Demers and that appears to be the only portion (aside from a panel discussion about Ovechkin sitting on the bench during the NYR's practice) that is on the web, then again it’s a half hour show.

At any rate, I'm not going to butt heads with you on this or waste any more of my time looking for the smoking gun on the web. If you want to believe that Demers was misquoted, or that he didn't say anything about Tanguay and Schneider and that the article in the Toronto Sun (a tabloid rag) is a pure fabrication, well that's your prerogative.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 09:43 AM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
He was on AM640 Toronto with Bill Watters and Dreger. I heard the interview because I happened to be going to a lunch meeting.

Demers didn't say it outright, but just mentioning the two names, the injuries, and 'maybe not wanting to play to make it worse with free agency looming' can only lead to what is now coming out.

And now Demers is backtracking. Whether he meant it or not, he shouldn't have said what he said.
I can understand questioning Tanguay's heart but Schneider??? Come on!! He put everything on the line a couple of weeks ago just to save our season and get us into the playoffs.

Nothing like Jocko throwing one of his former players under the bus. Thanks for contributing to my Cup ring Mathieu!!

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 09:43 AM

This 100th season kicked ***!

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 09:54 AM
onice

I don't know why there are people who still think this is not a typical Demers move.

He says something and then backs down when confronted.

If you go back to last year when the Habs were going through a rough patch, he wrote a disgusting, gutless article where he said the offensive star of the team needed to leave. He never mentioned the player by name, it was his little out clause. It was obvious to everyone who he meant: Koivu. But that's Demers for you. Blows whichever way the wind sends him.

At first I disliked the man but now I realize he doesn't really mean anything by it. He has the attention span of a guppy. Says one thing now, says something else in two minutes. If the media where all like him, I could live with it. It's the Tremblays, Labbes, Le Barons and their ilk that creates a stench.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote