HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Mike Smith

Old
03-19-2009, 07:16 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra63 View Post
"Originally Posted by BrokeBearMountain
Tell me again where someone said he was an elite goaltender...?

When people throw around names like JVR, Coburn, 1st rd pks, I expect the goalie
coming to the Flyers to be a hell of a lot better than Mike Smith, who is not even in Biron's class. "

Why did they flame our mentally unstable fragile goalie?
Alot of people on HF think that since Mike Smith wasn't a first round pick like Biron was he sucks.

In HF land you judge people by just draft position.

03-19-2009, 07:20 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Alot of people on HF think that since Mike Smith wasn't a first round pick like Biron was he sucks.

In HF land you judge people by just draft position.
Exactly. That's why I'm trying to trade for Patrik Stefan in my keeper league...

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2009, 11:45 AM
Untamable

Quote:
Tocchet said with every day goalie Mike Smith (concussion) does not practice makes his return a "moot point." Smith has said he wants to return this season and GM Brian Lawton backed him up. But with Smith doing just 20 minutes a day on a stationary bike, the odds seem long. ... As for next season, Tocchet said, "I don't know what I'd think if I didn't have Smitty next year. A lot of sleepless nights. He's our No. 1 goalie. We need him back."
http://blogs.tampabay.com/lightning/

Untamable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 09:51 AM
Untamable

Quote:
Asked if he had any doubts he would be ready for training camp, Smith sounded like he was talking more from frustration when he said. "There's a little bit of doubt, but I'm leaning toward the positive."

On the slow recovery: "It's killing me, man. The hardest thing being an athlete is being injured and having to watch and knowing you can't be there helping the guys in the room and can't do anything to get back in the lineup."

On when he has to be on the ice: "I haven't set a date, really. But I have some time now to get away from it and get away from the rink a little bit and not have to think about anything; just try to get better. ... I want to be in there so bad, it's probably made things worse. My impatience gets the better of me. You just have to give it time."

On signs of hope: "This has been probably the best week I've had so far. There were a couple of days when I felt improvements. That's a start. Obviously, it's not where I need to be at, but it's a step in the right direction. I haven't done a whole lot as far as activity, but a couple of days I felt more clear. I watched one of the games here. Before it had been difficult watching the games because of the bright lights and the noise in the arena. It seems to be better. It was back the way it had been, so that's a step in the right direction."

On the team's future: I said to (coach Rick Tocchet), we have a great core of players here, and I think everyone should be excited about that. I don't think it's going to be that hard to build a winning team around the players we have. The core group of guys are here. I'm excited for next year. I think a lot of the guys are."
http://blogs.tampabay.com/lightning/....html#comments

Old
04-20-2009, 09:52 AM
Untamable

So he went from definitely being ready for camp, to maybe being ready for camp? Thats not what I was hoping to hear.

Old
04-20-2009, 09:53 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

I'm saddened to see how bad this injury has turned out to be. I'm sure he'll be 100% in a few months though. As long as he has 5-7 months off after his first concussion, there's little chance of it being a big issue...

Old
04-20-2009, 11:08 AM
ultra63

At some home games they showed video of players warming up by playing indoor soccer, including pictures of Smith heading balls. I hope his soccer days are over.

ultra63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 11:35 AM
Untamable

Quote:
At some home games they showed video of players warming up by playing indoor soccer, including pictures of Smith heading balls. I hope his soccer days are over.
Yes, they play volley ball but only using their heads. Smitty, Bugsy, Marty, Stammer, and Ramo. Smitty is the one who actually introduced them to the game.

Old
04-20-2009, 12:27 PM
gobolt7

Quote:
I have to be honest, I damn near got taken out by one of these games.

gobolt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 06:52 PM
OptimismRestrainer

Personally, by the sound of this, I may have to bring back the old username by training camp.

OptimismRestrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 10:15 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

I wonder what kind of problems hes having. I only mentioned this because I read a great article about someone from the Canes (I think) who was having some troubles with what he thought was PCS - it turned out that with the hit his vision also deteriorated which led to him having trouble with spatial awareness - lasik immediately cleared up his headaches and focus.

It really makes me wonder if thats the same thing and if theres a way to get that info to him.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 08:28 AM
Untamable

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeBearMountain View Post
I wonder what kind of problems hes having. I only mentioned this because I read a great article about someone from the Canes (I think) who was having some troubles with what he thought was PCS - it turned out that with the hit his vision also deteriorated which led to him having trouble with spatial awareness - lasik immediately cleared up his headaches and focus.

It really makes me wonder if thats the same thing and if theres a way to get that info to him.
Huh. I can definitely understand how the symptoms can be confused. I'm hoping and assuming that with all the physicians Mike has seen since the incident, that other possibilities, such as this, would have been deduced.

Old
04-22-2009, 10:25 AM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Why don't you just go "visit" Mike Smith and "help him out"?

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 10:29 AM
Untamable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Phillips View Post
Why don't you just go "visit" Mike Smith and "help him out"?
Trust me, I'd love to.

Old
04-22-2009, 10:39 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Does Mike Smith's concussion status make anyone think that Tampa will get another goalie before the season starts?

As for the thought he's elite. I disagree as of now. I'm only starting to come around to Tim Thomas' ability. Tons of goalies get on a hot streak, or have a good season or three, but can't maintain that level of play.

Boucher, Every goalie Boston has had since Moog, Hedburg, Carey, Boucher again

Teams need goalies they can hang their hat on and I'm not totally convinced Smith is that guy yet.

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 10:42 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Does Mike Smith's concussion status make anyone think that Tampa will get another goalie before the season starts?

As for the thought he's elite. I disagree as of now. I'm only starting to come around to Tim Thomas' ability. Tons of goalies get on a hot streak, or have a good season or three, but can't maintain that level of play.

Teams need goalies they can hang their hat on and I'm not totally convinced Smith is that guy yet.
I admit, I'm starting to wonder myself...

Old
04-22-2009, 10:43 AM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaWrista View Post
I admit, I'm starting to wonder myself...
Which is why I'm praying nothing happens to Ramo..

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 10:48 AM
gobolt7

I have to admit, this whole thing is starting to remind me of another former star Lightning player, which is very very scary to me.

gobolt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 11:23 AM
CSampson

Jesus Christ, do we even know how he sustained this concussion? Sounds like to me he ran head first into a wall at full speed if it's this bad. Ah well let's hope these few months off will help his recovery, I wanna see him play a full season between the pipes!

CSampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 11:34 AM
Untamable

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSampson View Post
Jesus Christ, do we even know how he sustained this concussion? Sounds like to me he ran head first into a wall at full speed if it's this bad. Ah well let's hope these few months off will help his recovery, I wanna see him play a full season between the pipes!
He was accidentally run over by Prospal in the 12/2 game. Which brings up the question... if he can barely even stand to watch the games at the forum because of the noise and lights, how did he manage to play several more games before being pulled on the 1/30 Flyers game and realizing he had PCS?

Old
04-22-2009, 12:13 PM
Bolt32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamable View Post
He was accidentally run over by Prospal in the 12/2 game. Which brings up the question... if he can barely even stand to watch the games at the forum because of the noise and lights, how did he manage to play several more games before being pulled on the 1/30 Flyers game and realizing he had PCS?
It probably wasn't as bad as it is now. He probably had a minor concussion from the prospal hit and just didn't report it thinking he could play through it. A few games goes by and he takes a hard slapper to the head, bam it just went from minor to severe just because he didn't report it.

Bolt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 12:19 PM
Untamable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt32 View Post
It probably wasn't as bad as it is now. He probably had a minor concussion from the prospal hit and just didn't report it thinking he could play through it. A few games goes by and he takes a hard slapper to the head, bam it just went from minor to severe just because he didn't report it.
I think it was his tantrum after the Flyers game that took it that extra step.

Old
04-22-2009, 12:27 PM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamable View Post
I think it was his tantrum after the Flyers game that took it that extra step.
I thought either he ran into a ref or a ref ran into him? And thats what took it that extra step.

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 12:32 PM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post

We cant tell for sure, at the beginning of the season I was hoping for Ramo to start.

But the level of play he was sustaining especially behind that team was amazing, I have no doubt in my mind that he is better than anyone since Khabibulin, (not hard I know) but the question is how much better. I do think he can become/is the starter we need, just I would say we need another season to know for sure.

So yeah my longwinded answer was my way of saying he has shown enough for them to be confident enough to give him up to the trade deadline next season, provided he is healthy again. And that we dont have the assets to aquire a legit number 1, but maybe a vet backup/platooon goalie for Ramo isnt out of the question.

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 12:42 PM
TBLightningFan

Send a message via AIM to TBLightningFan Send a message via MSN to TBLightningFan
I hope Mike Smith is able to start. Any defensive improvement in front of him with make him better by a huge margin. Imagine how he would do with a top defense. Yikes!

TBLightningFan is offline   Reply With Quote