HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Demers Speculates Schneider and Tanguay Faking Injuries

Old
04-22-2009, 10:00 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
Unfortunately it's true - I heard him myself on team 990 Melnick's show - it was an interview given to a Toronto radio station. I'm not keen enough to understand exactly his words but this is how Melnick and his crew translated it .

And to BBRowser - The reasons I do not put him on the same boat with those three:

- He has a significant past as a Hab. Just like you cannot hate Lafleur for his out of place comments.
- He deeply cares about this organization - just look at him after a defeat. Unlike those I named.

Actually, that's the exact reason I hate him.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 10:02 AM
Habs

Demers has really spoken up since he learned how to read.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 10:11 AM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Actually, that's the exact reason I hate him.
You hate Lafleur? Were your parents cousins?

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 10:16 AM
Newhabfan

My point is - I'll take Demers talking nonsense because I know deep down he has the Habs at heart. Unlike Tremblay and Bergeron who are enjoying the Habs losing. Should someone explain him that he is hurting the team he will excuse/retract and change.

He makes mistakes out of misinformation or being naive and easy to manipulate (the darkest day in the habs history case). He is not evil as the others.

And he does have the last ring cup as coach. If only for that we should cut him some slack.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 10:23 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
I'm allowed to. People hate people for less things than what he says.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 10:25 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
He was on AM640 Toronto with Bill Watters and Dreger. I heard the interview because I happened to be going to a lunch meeting.

Demers didn't say it outright, but just mentioning the two names, the injuries, and 'maybe not wanting to play to make it worse with free agency looming' can only lead to what is now coming out.

And now Demers is backtracking. Whether he meant it or not, he shouldn't have said what he said.
Not that I'm defending Demers here, but did he really say anything that wrong?

I'm glad you heard the same interview so we know we're talking about the right quotes. For the most part I got what you did out of the interview. He mentioned 'maybe not wanting to play to make it worse with free agency looming'. Is that really wrong? These guys are hurt. The organization hasn't stepped up and offered a contract to these guys, and certainly wouldn't offer it to them if they hurt themselves long-term.

If this was game 7 of the Stanley Cup, I'm betting they would be playing. With this series being the way it is, and our team being the way it is, I don't have a problem with these guys looking after themselves at this point in time.

Our GM made the decision to go into this year with all of these contract uncertainties surrounding the team. Some media guys spoke out against it saying it wasn't the right thing to do. At first I didn't second guess Gainey's decision to do it, but I certainly am now.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 10:28 AM
kent_carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
You are right. The monday edition of Off the record is still available for viewing. Those accusations about faking injuries must be on some other show, though. Not a word about Tanguay or Schneider on what I saw. Weird, isn't it?
Not at all, do you really expect a proof, a source, a link. No this is all
Ontarian Truth, they don't have agenda over there.

kent_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 10:32 AM
DougHarvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post

I'm glad you heard the same interview so we know we're talking about the right quotes. For the most part I got what you did out of the interview. He mentioned 'maybe not wanting to play to make it worse with free agency looming'. Is that really wrong? These guys are hurt. The organization hasn't stepped up and offered a contract to these guys, and certainly wouldn't offer it to them if they hurt themselves long-term.

If this was game 7 of the Stanley Cup, I'm betting they would be playing. With this series being the way it is, and our team being the way it is, I don't have a problem with these guys looking after themselves at this point in time.
Yes I blame the players if that was the reason, but both these guys are pros and would not do that.If it is true, then I would not want either one here ever again.

DougHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 10:33 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougHarvey View Post
Yes I blame the players if that was the reason, but both these guys are pros and would not do that.If it is true, then I would not want either one here ever again.
Some players play with pain better than others. And like I said, all things considered I don't blame the guys for not playing hurt.

You blame the players, I blame management.

Old
04-22-2009, 10:36 AM
Belso

All I have to say is that if they told Bob that they don't want to play because they are afraid for their contracts next year that would be just dumb. Imagine this:

Ring... Ring..

Bob Gainey: Hello?

Ray Shero: Bob, It's Ray how are you?

Bob: Busy, and you?

Ray: I'm busy too.. Listen, I just want to know something.

Bob: Shoot....

Ray: I think we have a good chance at another Cup run this season and I wanted to know about Tangauy.. Be straight with me.... Was Tangauy holding back on you last season? Was he refusing to play because he was afraid to get hurt more?

Bob: Yep.. Told me to my face. That's why I didn't give him an offer...

Ray: Ahh. I see. Ok. Thanks Bob. Good luck with everything. Don't forget to call me if you think I might be interested in anything.

Bob: Sure thing Ray. Bye..

Ray: Bye....

So do you really think a 5M$ dollar player would pull this and think the word won't leak to other teams? I call BS.....

Last edited by Belso: 04-22-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 10:39 AM
habfan4

Quote:

Don't you think insinuating that Schneider and Tanguay are sitting out to protect themselves for free agency is going to impair their ability to get top dollars in the off-season?

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem, the most likely reason Schneider and Tanguay are out of the line up (as they were for game three when the series was still in doubt) is that they are injured and incapable of playing.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 10:41 AM
icerocket

Quote:
Some players play with pain better than others. And like I said, all things considered I don't blame the guys for not playing hurt.

You blame the players, I blame management.

Hell no. This is playoffs. You play through any injury unless your leg is snapped into two and sometimes you play anyways.

Athletes nowadays are wayyyyy too pampered.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 10:43 AM
BLONG7

Faking Injuries??? Demers...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 10:58 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
Don't you think insinuating that Schneider and Tanguay are sitting out to protect themselves for free agency is going to impair their ability to get top dollars in the off-season?

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem, the most likely reason Schneider and Tanguay are out of the line up (as they were for game three when the series was still in doubt) is that they are injured and incapable of playing.
They are not healthy. Tanguay hasn't played on a top line during the playoffs for more than a couple of shifts. Schneider's health concerns were well documented before the end of the season.

I'm saying that I don't blame them for sitting out if they're hurt. Some guys will play through the pain, and some guys won't. And when you take a step back, they have reasons to not play hurt. I'm sure them being free agents weighs in on their decision unfortunately, like I said, some guys will sacrifice more than others.

I tend to look at it this way. If I'm a contract employee, and my contract runs out at a specific time, I'm not going to sacrifice my health for my next job.

It's just common sense to me. Anyway, like I said before, if they are healthy enough to play, they would play - I never said they were faking. but do think that the UFA situation does in fact come into play here because it is a factor for a guy making a decision on whether he wants to play hurt or not.

Old
04-22-2009, 11:01 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
I'm sick of Lafleur. Same old thing. I watched him on RDS a few weeks back, just like always, he stays out of the fray, leans way back, makes a few backhanded comments, this time someting about Bobby Smith not passing the puck, the whole gang laughs uproariously, 'good one Guy', then he wanders off again. His act is tired and he paints himself as bitter.

He was truly a pleasure to watch and everyone I've spoken to who has met the man says nice things about him, but his persona these days doesn't play well, at least not to me.

As for Demers and the continuing talk of media, well, as much as I try and be fair minded about this stuff, it's getting stupid at best and personal at worst. Pierre McGuire has been harging ad nauseum about the dangers of having so many fa's on your roster. Taking it to the extent of not playing because of supposed injuries is a personal insult to guys , but like usual phrased in a way where he has an out.

At least he didn't cry this time.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 11:04 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
As for Demers and the continuing talk of media, well, as much as I try and be fair minded about this stuff, it's getting stupid at best and personal at worst. Pierre McGuire has been harging ad nauseum about the dangers of having so many fa's on your roster. Taking it to the extent of not playing because of supposed injuries is a personal insult to guys , but like usual phrased in a way where he has an out.
But what about if a guy is legitimately hurt but chooses not to play through the pain because he is a UFA? I still think from that perspective it's possible that guys could shut it down early to avoid a longer-term injury...

Old
04-22-2009, 11:14 AM
habfan4

Quote:
But what about if a guy is legitimately hurt but chooses not to play through the pain because he is a UFA? I still think from that perspective it's possible that guys could shut it down early to avoid a longer-term injury...

A first glance your rationale seems plausible, but I think it falls down under additional scrutiny. It would certainly make more sense if they had mysteriously disappeared from the line up for game four (but as you pointed out, they've been playing hurt for some time).

These guys didn't get to the NHL without being ultra competitive, veteran players don't take themselves out of the game unless they're incapable of playing.

For me it boils down to this: What's more likely? That Schneider's shoulder is so bad that playing Weber makes more sense for the team or that Mathieu is so concerned out how much he'll be making next October that he decided to not to play?

Old
04-22-2009, 11:14 AM
Gary320

Thing is, atleast in my opinion. EVERYONE wants to act like they know something more than everyone, ever since the "Darkest Day" happend. Seemed like everyone knows something..

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 11:20 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
No Bill it's not weird at all.

OTR has a one on one question and answer segment with Lansberg and Demers and that appears to be the only portion (aside from a panel discussion about Ovechkin sitting on the bench during the NYR's practice) that is on the web, then again it’s a half hour show.

At any rate, I'm not going to butt heads with you on this or waste any more of my time looking for the smoking gun on the web. If you want to believe that Demers was misquoted, or that he didn't say anything about Tanguay and Schneider and that the article in the Toronto Sun (a tabloid rag) is a pure fabrication, well that's your prerogative.
Geez, thanks. Likewise, if you want to believe any unverifiable information you hear, that's your prerogative.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 11:22 AM
Capitano

Quote:
A first glance your rationale seems plausible, but I think it falls down under additional scrutiny. It would certainly make more sense if they had mysteriously disappeared from the line up for game four (but as you pointed out, they've been playing hurt for some time).

These guys didn't get to the NHL without being ultra competitive, veteran players don't take themselves out of the game unless they're incapable of playing.

For me it boils down to this: What's more likely? That Schneider's shoulder is so bad that playing Weber makes more sense for the team or that Mathieu is so concerned out how much he'll be making next October that he decided to not to play?
True, but it could be a bit of both. I still think that they guys are hurt - and I spoke up in this thread because I saw guys calling out Demers for suggesting they were faking - from the interview I heard he never said they were faking, just brought up the UFA comment that I didn't think was a stretch.

Bottom line, if the guys can play, they would play. I just didn't like the suggestion that Demers said the players were faking. They're hurt I'm sure. I remember seeing Tanguay take a spill in the first shift of the series and then when I saw Laraque skating with Koivu and Kovalev - "uh oh, Alex is hurt."

No doubt they are hurt, and if they could play, they would.

Old
04-22-2009, 11:25 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Geez, thanks. Likewise, if you want to believe any unverifiable information you hear, that's your prerogative.
For my part you're welcome.

Although I'm not sure that AH and Capitano (who apparently listened to a follow up interview Demers gave on a local sports radio show here in Toronto) appreciate the inference you seem to be making.

Old
04-22-2009, 11:32 AM
Capitano

Quote:
For my part you're welcome.

Although I'm not sure that AH and Capitano (who apparently listened to a follow up interview Demers gave on a local sports radio show here in Toronto) appreciate the inference you seem to be making.
I heard the interview and I didn't think he suggested they were faking. He did suggest that there might be no point for them to play hurt and risk further injury when they are down 3-0 in a series when they are impending UFAs, and like I said, that wasn't an over the top comment to make imo.

Jacques never said they were faking from what I heard. I didn't see the Off the Record show though so not sure what was said there.

Old
04-22-2009, 11:45 AM
NewHabsEra*

not Demers best comment out there..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 11:49 AM
RE-HABS

I think Demers is faking that he can read and write!

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 11:50 AM
habfan4

Quote:
I heard the interview and I didn't think he suggested they were faking. He did suggest that there might be no point for them to play hurt and risk further injury when they are down 3-0 in a series when they are impending UFAs, and like I said, that wasn't an over the top comment to make imo.

Jacques never said they were faking from what I heard. I didn't see the Off the Record show though so not sure what was said there.
I still can't figure why Demers would mention Schneider and Tanguay's contract status when discussing their injuries. One has nothing to do with the other, instead of simply stating what he knows (that they have been injured and appear to be injured) he suggests they might be better off skipping a game to protect their UFA interests?

If he's not guilty or accusing them of being fakers, then he's certainly guilty of questioning their character or revealing a lot of his own with the suggestion that they are, or should consider skipping a do or die playoff game.