Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
If your happy and you know it clap your hands

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 04:02 AM
vitogor

vCash: 500
Doug Risebrough: "Fans know - it's not about winning"

Granted, this was probably recorded in the early years of the franchise (at least I hope so), but it's still shocking to hear your [ex-]GM utter something like this...

vitogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 08:49 AM
BigT2002

I never took anything he said to be worthwhile

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 03:43 AM
BigT2002

if you haven't listened to the pondcast with Leipold on the whole DR thing, I highly suggest it. Some great responses to the questions he had.

he even talked about how he doesn't want JL to be GM. and he would of canned DR regardless unless they go to the WCF. He definitely didn't like the heated questions though about "why" and "who" and "stipulations"

Old
04-20-2009, 08:48 AM
a79krgm

Send a message via AIM to a79krgm
I heard the pondcast ... I was suprised to hear that Leopold made his decision over a month ago. Now I'm wondering if DR's no-action at trade deadline was the motivation factor behind his firing?

a79krgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 09:30 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by a79krgm View Post
I heard the pondcast ... I was suprised to hear that Leopold made his decision over a month ago. Now I'm wondering if DR's no-action at trade deadline was the motivation factor behind his firing?
My thoughts exactly! And he says that the fan's outcry didn't mean a single thing was a little shocking

Old
04-20-2009, 04:29 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Minnesota Wild owner Craig Leipold has apparently not forgotten his roots.

Leipold has asked for permission to speak with two members of the Predators organization -- assistant general manager Paul Fenton and director of hockey operations Mike Santos – in regards to the Wild’s vacant general manager position.
http://data.tennessean.com/v2/bin/pl...tennessean.com

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 10:09 PM
vitogor

It only makes sense that he is going to people he's worked with in the past and knows well. I just hope that he gives others a fair shot as well.

Old
04-20-2009, 10:15 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Stupid decision on Leipold's part.

Go for Pat Quinn.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 10:26 PM
vitogor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Aurumque View Post
Stupid decision on Leipold's part.

Go for Pat Quinn.
Some of the best young coaches and GM's have come out of nowhere, so I'm not going to criticize here, simply because I know nothing about those guys. I'm all for Quinn as well, but other than him, it's a bunch of past losers and a bunch of nobodies that are lining up at the door. I'm sure he'll interview Quinn, but you have to look at other people as well.

Old
04-21-2009, 01:45 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitogor View Post
Some of the best young coaches and GM's have come out of nowhere, so I'm not going to criticize here, simply because I know nothing about those guys. I'm all for Quinn as well, but other than him, it's a bunch of past losers and a bunch of nobodies that are lining up at the door. I'm sure he'll interview Quinn, but you have to look at other people as well.
As of late that is true, but hasn't been a success in all organizations either. It was a Q&A question he answered on that podcast

Old
04-22-2009, 09:29 AM
a79krgm

Send a message via AIM to a79krgm
Russo mentioned that Doug Risebrough, "was always so assessable". I can attest to this. About 3 years ago I was sitting in the club section with my Dad just before game time. My Dad looked over his shoulder and said to me "Isn't that Doug Risebrough." I looked over and nodded. Doug noticed us and came right over to our table and introduced himself. He asked us how long we've been season ticket holders and I gave him a few of my "expert" opinions. (I told him that I thought Dupuis was playing well ... mostly because I didn't want to see him traded. - I should have kept my mouth shut because I later heard that Huselius was offered for him). Anyway, I was impressed that he took initiative to sit down and talk hockey with us.

Overall, I think he was a good guy and his only crimes were his conservative nature and his inability to get the club to the next level.

a79krgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 09:34 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 2584
Quote:
Reading the TSN.ca piece on the subject I am curous to know just how much imput Craig Leipold had leading up to the deadline day non-trades. As I asked in the other thead--was it because DR could not get something worth wild for Gabby or was it becuase he was told not to trade Gabby but to re-sign him.

I think there is back door politics going on with the Wild

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 11:37 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Russo mentioned that Doug Risebrough, "was always so assessable". I can attest to this. About 3 years ago I was sitting in the club section with my Dad just before game time. My Dad looked over his shoulder and said to me "Isn't that Doug Risebrough." I looked over and nodded. Doug noticed us and came right over to our table and introduced himself. He asked us how long we've been season ticket holders and I gave him a few of my "expert" opinions. (I told him that I thought Dupuis was playing well ... mostly because I didn't want to see him traded. - I should have kept my mouth shut because I later heard that Huselius was offered for him). Anyway, I was impressed that he took initiative to sit down and talk hockey with us.

Overall, I think he was a good guy and his only crimes were his conservative nature and his inability to get the club to the next level.
I've never met the guy but that is something you don't see everyday though. I know old Donny boy for Atlanta never came down to mingle with the fan base when I would go to Atlanta to see the games. That will be one thing I hope the next GM will at least do in getting close to the fans and seeing what they are feeling about how their ticket money is helping this franchise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vagabond View Post
Reading the TSN.ca piece on the subject I am curous to know just how much imput Craig Leipold had leading up to the deadline day non-trades. As I asked in the other thead--was it because DR could not get something worth wild for Gabby or was it becuase he was told not to trade Gabby but to re-sign him.

I think there is back door politics going on with the Wild
Leipold said it had nothing to do with Gaborik being signed and there were other circumstances out there which made him believe the team needed a new direction. He knew JL was going to retire this year (well a hunch) so he wasn't worried about firing him. Before I go into my own opinions on why he was fired, I really wish Craig wasn't a total hypocrite during the "State of the Wild" address he gave when he said no matter what he would be keeping JL and DR around as long as they wanted to be here. That gave off some bad juju for me with him. We'll see how much of Nashville he brings here.

Most of the things have already been hit on but I think it was the inability to sign potential high caliber players over the last few years, inexperience with contract signings (e.g. high contract payouts for players who really didn't deserve it), not able to get the players JL needed for the system to actually be efficient, and a very luckluster performance after the first month of the season. Leipold knows the odds are against the team signing Gaborik back and if the team was struggling that much in Dec-Mar, he has to do something which will shake it up.

Personally, I think Gaborik has a lot to do with it because the two did not get along so well and DR hasn't spoken to Salcer in years. What that could mean is Burns would be the next one to walk off the team if DR stayed.