HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Demers Speculates Schneider and Tanguay Faking Injuries

Old
04-22-2009, 12:04 PM
Capitano

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
I still can't figure why Demers would mention Schneider and Tanguay's contract status when discussing their injuries. One has nothing to do with the other, instead of simply stating what he knows (that they have been injured and appear to be injured) he suggests they might be better off skipping a game to protect their UFA interests?

If he's not guilty or accusing them of being fakers, then he's certainly guilty of questioning their character or revealing a lot of his own with the suggestion that they are, or should consider skipping a do or die playoff game.
He mentioned Bouillon coming back early and re-injuring himself - so that was where he was going.

Guys, honestly, I think his comments were taken out of context...they weren't as bad as everybody is suggesting.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 12:06 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
But what about if a guy is legitimately hurt but chooses not to play through the pain because he is a UFA? I still think from that perspective it's possible that guys could shut it down early to avoid a longer-term injury...

Cap, refs can also be throwing games, a lot of bad things can happen. If you want to speculate on something that affects a guy's reputation, esp. in Schneider's case where it seems he's there despite the CH's medical advicewithout evidence, you're doing guys a disservice. He should **** or get off the pot as they say.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 12:07 PM
CarrePrisme

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBrowser View Post
I do. No problem with doing it either.
Me too. People say it's wrong cuz Demers won us a Cup but so did Perron and that didn't stop him from milking the Mangiola rumors.

CarrePrisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 12:10 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Cap, refs can also be throwing games, a lot of bad things can happen. If you want to speculate on something that affects a guy's reputation, esp. in Schneider's case where it seems he's there despite the CH's medical advicewithout evidence, you're doing guys a disservice. He should **** or get off the pot as they say.
Meh...when I heard the comments it didn't affect me as much I guess. I'll see if I can find the audio for you guys so you can listen for yourselves instead of all this speculation

Old
04-22-2009, 12:12 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Meh...when I heard the comments it didn't affect me as much I guess. I'll see if I can find the audio for you guys so you can listen for yourselves instead of all this speculation
Thanks Cap, that would definitely be appreciated.

04-22-2009, 12:17 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Thanks Cap, that would definitely be appreciated.
http://emedia.640toronto.com/podcast...eafs_lunch.mp3

Listen here guys if you want...his segment begins near the end...my audio player at work sucks so I can't see the time his audio starts, but I'm sure you can navigate around the clip to find it...

Old
04-22-2009, 12:17 PM
habfan4

Quote:
I think this might be it - http://emedia.640toronto.com/podcast...eafs_lunch.mp3

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 12:18 PM
Capitano

Quote:
That would be the one

Old
04-22-2009, 12:19 PM
Teufelsdreck

I refuse to believe those insinuations. Those injuries were not life-threatening or even career-threatening. Schneider's and Tanguay's salaries are more daunting and, in the case of Schneider, his age.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 12:24 PM
Capitano

Quote:
I suggest you guys listen to the whole segment, his comments were more opinion than speculation, but those are one in the same I guess.

He mentions his time as a coach when he was in his final contract year and stuff like that, so it was more reflecting on some personal insight regarding the situation that the players are currently in. At no point do I think he calls Schneider and Tanguay fakers.

Last edited by Capitano: 04-22-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old
04-22-2009, 12:30 PM
Steveshutt

What a self-serving jerk. I guess he wants to guarantee he goes down in history as the last Habs coach to win a Cup.

Steveshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 12:33 PM
Kriss E

If Demers is truly trying to plant a seed of doubt towards Tang or Schneider being injured, then he just lost the little respect I had for him.

That's completely ridiculous.

Seriously, the habs have had a bad year but the Media covering them had an ever worse one. They have been beyond pathetic.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 12:33 PM
mcphee

Quote:
I suggest you guys listen to the whole segment, his comments were more opinion than speculation, but those are one in the same I guess.
He's free to speculate, as I am to think he's playing a game when he does so. Whether his aim is at Gainey for going forth with countless fa's or players who he hints may be opting out of games because of reasons of security, I think it's cheap.

If Gainey and Tanguay were to look him in the eye and confront him about this, there would be no mention of Demers' discomfort when asked. There would be a story about the Habs being confrontational with the media.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 12:36 PM
habfan4

Quote:
That would be the one
To paraphrase - at the 31:00 minute mark.

Demers suggested that because Bouillon (who doesn't have a contract for next year) played and was reinjured it produced "a snowball effect". He went on to infer that the Cube's injury had a bearing on Tanguay and Schneider not being in the line up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demers' 640 Interview
"I don't want to be put in that situation, I wanna be, I'm a free agent next year, I want to sign. Because I've never seen these guys, or even think they would be out of the line up last night"
Take from that what you will.

Last edited by habfan4: 04-22-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old
04-22-2009, 12:37 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Someone probably sent him an email and he misread it.

Seriously, this game and other people in the Montréal media are so God damn retarded. He coached in the NHL for Christ sake, he should know better.

How many UFAs want to miss time so their stock falls and they get offered less in the off season ?

**** this guy is an idiot.

The Canadiens should just pick the few good journalists from the Montréal media, put them all together and let them report things as they happen.

Huge joke and the media over blows everything.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 12:40 PM
Capitano

Quote:
To paraphrase - at the 31:00 minute mark.

Demers suggests because Bouillon (who doesn't have a contract for next year) played and since he was reinjured it produced "a snowball effect". He went on to infer that the Cube's injury had a had a bearing on Tanguay and Schneider not being in the line up:

Take from that what you will.
Without all of his inner reflection about why he made these comments, it's easy to see how it can be taken the wrong way.

Meh, maybe at this point in the series I've already disengaged from the "play like your life depends on it" theory...that was game 3.

I didn't think it was that big of a deal. I thought it was insightful to hear from a guy who had been in that situation before.

Old
04-22-2009, 12:48 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Without all of his inner reflection about why he made these comments, it's easy to see how it can be taken the wrong way.

Meh, maybe at this point in the series I've already disengaged from the "play like your life depends on it" theory...that was game 3.

I didn't think it was that big of a deal. I thought it was insightful to hear from a guy who had been in that situation before.
After listening to the interview, it certainly sounded like he was suggesting that Bouillon's injury (and his UFA status)had an impact on Tanguay and Schneider's absence from the line up. If he was trying to communicate anything other than that, he failed miserably.

It certainly didn't help his case (or his credibility) when he went on about Perron and Giroux not being drafted by the Habs.

Old
04-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Demers is an idiot. He lost all respect and credibility this season for me. Just another talking head furthering his own agenda now, nothing more.
He's got to join the radical or else he will be lose his job!

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 12:59 PM
AH

Quote:

It certainly didn't help his case (or his credibility) when he went on about Perron and Giroux not being drafted by the Habs.
That part I didn't understand either when I heard it.

All I remember about the 2007 draft night was the negative press that was spewed on RDS for not drafting Esposito (including Demers). But today it's Perron that was missed.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 01:13 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Schneider paid the price everytime he hit the ice! He was hit hard and he hit players hard. He was playing with passion and was one of our best D if not the best.

My guess is he had cortisone shots and the effect is over now. Cortisone is great because it takes away the pain, but you can't play on this forever you need to heal your injury at some point. It's very popular among players in the playoffs... (Yzerman when he played on 1 leg..)

Tanguay well, it would explain why Bob didn't use him on the top line in game 1 & 2..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
That part I didn't understand either when I heard it.

All I remember about the 2007 draft night was the negative press that was spewed on RDS for not drafting Esposito (including Demers). But today it's Perron that was missed.
Yeah he was on the newpaper front page!!

Now it's Perron this and Perron that, lol hypocrites.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 01:24 PM
PyrettaBlaze*

I don't see anything wrong with what he said, but I see how it can be misinterpreted.

PyrettaBlaze* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
I don't see anything wrong with what he said, but I see how it can be misinterpreted.
Well said.

Old
04-22-2009, 01:34 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
what did Demers say?..where's the exact quote?

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 01:38 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
what did Demers say?..where's the exact quote?
Check post #82, open the link and fast forward to around the 31 minute mark.

Edit: Actually habfan4 gives a good description in post #89.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 01:52 PM
m00ks

I can't wait until tonight or tommorow's presser when we find out what exactly is wrong with these cats. I bet most of us will have our mouths wide open with the extent of some of the injuries we'll here. I wouln't even be surprised if there were a couple more guys in the lineup with minor injuries of their own.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote