HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Koivu's last game?

Old
04-21-2009, 10:01 PM
Roulin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermamoud View Post
So if Avery was 6'3, he'd be the greatest captain ever?
Or if Brian Boyle had an air horn...

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 10:20 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
So if Avery was 6'3, he'd be the greatest captain ever?
Are you joking?

By TALL and LOUD I meant someone who stood tall (figuratively) and spoke loud (figuratively).

But I should suppose that you guys would understand that, given some of the responses in this thread.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 10:27 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV View Post
Second line center at what, 4.75 per? If he's prepared to sign for two years, at 3.5 each, okay, but it's not all that likely if he can get 4.5 elsewhere. He's at the age where an extra 2 or 3 million over two years is a lot, because they'll be his last big cheques.
Don't you think if he cared so much about that extra bit of money he wouldn't have signed here for so long with our BS taxes. Honestly.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 10:28 PM
DaHabMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post
koivu: out, his time is done, but he was great!
kovalev: out, to much of a rollercoaster
tanguay: out.
komisarek: out. OVER RATED

trade
to tampa:

Andrei K
Sergei K
David Fisher
Carey Price

to montreal:

Vinny Lecaiviler
Mike Smith
wow this must be the dumbest post i read all week.....so whats the first line, lecavalier with higgins and lats

Also kinda says it all about the fanbase here. Not very good at all.

DaHabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLapierre View Post
I think most Koivu fans are forgetting that my objection is not on his ability, cancer-fighting-skills or "heart". He has lost this team.

Carbonneau - a better player and leader than Koivu in every facet - was told to take a hike after he supposedly "lost the team". You carbo-bashers ate it up.

When Koivu's name is brought up all the fanboys do is mention how he deserves better and has heart. He's a god-damned professional, it's a business and he is paid 4.75m dollars per year.

It's not pocket change. This is Marc Savard money.

No amount of "heart" will be worth 4.75m because Koivu has diminished as a player so much. He is 35, it's over.

I'd welcome him back (with open arms too) on two conditions

a) 2 year contract, 3.5m cap hit
b) He steps down as captain.

There's an ice-cube's chance in hell that he will do either of them, so good riddance.

I think I started hating Koivu during the slump. He was the hollowest, worst captain I've ever had the displeasure of witnessing. He embaressed us, the youth-core, and Carbo/Gainey because he didn't do anything. Shame on him, and shame on the fanboys who can't admit when they're wrong.

These are the same people who'll say "HE TRIED SO HARD THIS SERIES, DID YOU SEE THE HITS?!" and then say that Latendresse was invisible. The fanboyism is sickening. I'll be the first to admit that Lapierre is underwhelming this series as long as you Koivu nuts can admit that he's a sad little shell of captain.

We need a tall, loud captain SO badly.
How about Dustin penner money? Does it make him look like a steal now?

Old
Le depisteur

Bégin's comments on Koivu about his leadership

Moi Saku Koivu, je l'ai toujours aimé. Il parle dans la chambre.

I always liked Saku Koivu. He talks in the room.

http://www.corussports.com/hockey/ch...1-1523491.html

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 10:34 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Are you joking?

By TALL and LOUD I meant someone who stood tall (figuratively) and spoke loud (figuratively).

But I should suppose that you guys would understand that, given some of the responses in this thread.
No, are YOU joking? Plek and Koivu are the same size but one played like he was double the other guy's size. If that's not standing tall and playing bigger than he is, you're just looking to bash Koivu. So captains have to yell at players? No, players should want to play, captains lead the way. If players have off-ice issues, the captain can help, but to rest individual's character on the captain is BS. If a player has no heart, a captain, no matter how good, can't change that. Koivu is not responsible for this mess. He will take a smaller pay, because he knows he's worth less, how low, we don't know, but don't worry, if he stays, he'll be captain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post

I guess that says it all.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 04-22-2009 at 12:20 AM.
Old
04-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Hermamoud

Ask Canucks fans how Mark Messier, the greatest leader in the history of the universe, fared in Vancouver.

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 11:13 PM
bjac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th View Post
Really ?

What blows my mind is that someone in a hockey forum , still doesn't know that trades and free agent signing do exist . It blows my mind that someone just substracts Koivu of the team , without having the imagination to think the Habs could find someone else to replace him .
Who can replace Koivu then? Which UFA? How much will they cost compared to Koivu do you think? The truth is that for a 2nd line center, the Habs aren't going to have a better fit than Koivu. Hes a decent player, who has a positive history with the team. Hes got heart and leadership. We know what we're getting with him, and he might take a discount. Why does there have to be a "replacement", when you can just go for a #1 center to play above him. Why upgrade a player when you can spend the money and resources on ADDING another to fill a HUGE hole. Why on earth would they just let him walk, unless he asks for alot of money.

My point is, that unless Koivu asks for too much money (I doubt it'll happen), or he actually just wants to leave Montreal, why not keep him around for a 2nd/3rd line offensive center role.

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 11:20 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:

I guess I should've mentioned this before:

I think that our CORE (Higgins, Komi, Plek, Kostitsyn's, Laps, Lats, Gorges, Price) is what Koivu lost. I'm sure that Dandy, Bouillon, Begin and Markov were just fine with Koivu. (Forget about the new guys, and especially Kovalev he doesn't need a captain haha)

None of you guys are replying to my biggest complain:

HE WAS INVISIBLE DURING OUR SLUMP.

Our g'd captain was invisible, absolutely invisible during the two months which he wasn't paired with Tanguay and Kovalev. Ridiculous.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 11:26 PM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
is that a joke?

during our slump on the western road trip?

are you high on the chronic smoke?

this guy gave it all and was one of the few guys that tried...

i remember him with higgins and dago and how they were the only line that did anything in calgary in the first period

i remember him on a line with kovy and kosto and how him and kosto worked their butts off every shift and exposed kovy for his floating at the time!

invisible is what your boy maxlapierre was this series...his best shift was eating lucics stick

during the slump he had 8 points in 14 games which is probably amongst our leading scorers during that time

if you include the next 4 games he had 5 points in those

invisible?? maybe your expectations are too high? blame the people who made him our #1 centre not him

l'artiste had 6 points in those 14 games...markov had 9...yup invisible

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 04-22-2009 at 01:08 AM.
holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 11:43 PM
Kirk Muller

its amazing how quickly some posters come out from under their rocks at the mention of Koivu.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 11:49 PM
Hermamoud

Koivu also scored 5 game winners this season, leading the Canadiens. Not too bad for an old washed out 2nd line playmaking centerman.

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 11:49 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Why do you need to argue on this? Koivu and Lecavalier have both same number of games played and points. That's all... Nobody said Koivu is actually better than Lecavaier. Relax and take a breath...
People overreact at the speed of explosive diarrhea on these forums.

Last edited by Sined: 04-22-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 11:54 PM
timbitca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
People overact at the speed of explosive diarrhea on these forums.
It may just be the fact that it's 2am and I'm overly tired, but this just made me burst out in laughter. And it's so true.

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 12:44 AM
HabsHockey

Quote:

I think that our CORE (Higgins, Komi, Plek, Kostitsyn's, Laps, Lats, Gorges, Price) is what Koivu lost. I'm sure that Dandy, Bouillon, Begin and Markov were just fine with Koivu. (Forget about the new guys, and especially Kovalev he doesn't need a captain haha)

Our g'd captain was invisible, absolutely invisible during the two months which he wasn't paired with Tanguay and Kovalev. Ridiculous.
This made me sad

HabsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 04:29 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:

How did he loose any of those guys listed? Especially guys like Higgins and Komi.

You want to know when a captain looses a team? When he's in a scrum, if players on his team react to defend him like any other guy on the team.

What do I mean? Someone pushes d'agostini after the whistle, a player or two might come to help out. Someone pushes koivu after the whistle, the players can win fastest skater competitions from how fast they rush to protect their leader.

Ignore the family guy voice over:

There's prob way more. Get over it. Everyone on the team respects him. Hell, stewart isn't even a full time player yet and I heard him say good things about koivu on TSN within this week.

Old
04-22-2009, 04:32 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:

That's nice... very cool

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 04:47 PM
Kafka

Thank you Saku for what you did. If you continue in this league, might be a good thing to consider taking less responsabilities.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 04:51 PM
Stradale

I want Koivu here until his very last game of his career.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 05:03 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Koivu also scored 5 game winners this season, leading the Canadiens. Not too bad for an old washed out 2nd line playmaking centerman.
no kidding huh

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 05:28 PM
Caekslap

Quote:

Michel Bergeron, is that you?

Caekslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 09:35 PM
FinnoHab

Quote:
Regarding the playoff runs of MaxLap and GuiLat: I think they played decently. Nothing to rave about, but Gui was physical as hell, and Laps did what he does (hybrid checking role). What more could you ask from them? They have Tom Kostopoulos on their effin line.
Oh right, Max had Tom Kostopoulos on his effin line. He didn't have the benefit of having Georges Laraque on his line like Koivu did for the majority of the series.

I don't want to rag on players and I love Max Lapierre (the player, my feelings for the poster are quite the contrary) but I have to say that his playoff performance was a disappointment after the way he had been playing in the last month or two of the regular season. Somehow the energy and the skating just wasn't there from him.

At least Koivu tried his damndest. Hitting and trying to make plays. Long live Captain Koivu, wherever you may play next season - and I hope it's with the CH on his chest.

FinnoHab is offline   Reply With Quote