HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Season of hope, season of disappointment

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-22-2009, 11:05 PM
  #1
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Season of hope, season of disappointment

The fabulous Montreal Canadiens’ 100th Anniversary. The team coming off a season that saw them finish first in the Eastern Conference. The acquisition in the off-season of Alex Tanguay, Robert Lang and Georges Laraque and that, without losing a roster player in return. Carey Price coming off an excellent rookie season, set to take this team to new heights… and then the puck dropped.

This was a year filled with promises, making this defeat leave that much more of a sour taste in the fans, players and management’s mouths. What exactly were the disappointments?

Injuries:
Tanguay and Laraque started at training camp with injuries. Soon after and as the season progressed, the same Tanguay and Laraque, Koivu, Andrei Kostitsyn, Carey Price, Komisarek, Bouillon, Higgins, Latendresse and then Schneider and Markov all spent weeks off due to injuries. None were felt more than the Lang season ending Achilles injury and Markov’s knee injury, lost of the playoffs.
Stardom shock:
The story about the Kostitsyn brothers’ connection with the wrong crowd, the rumours of young celebrities spending more time working on their night life than they did on their conditioning and their career… Here’s hoping that lessons were learned on those aspects by both sides. The players in taking their career seriously, knowing that this is Montreal and with your fame, comes the stories attached if you step over the line. And to management in letting teenagers and young single adults live on their own with no guidance in a city like Montreal, without proper mentoring.
Coaching:
Guy Carbonneau, despite having a lot of success in his young career, was once again a first year coach who had to learn through the growing pains and in dealing with a dressing room with little character which included veterans with a history of being difficult to coach and motivate. Roland Melanson who is changing every goalie he works with into a butterfly goalie regardless of what brought these goalies to the NHL, regardless of the success they’ve had in the past, contributing to Price’s downfall. Bob Gainey choosing what’s considered to be a convenient time to fire Carbo, after a long road trip, after a win, just before starting a long home stand, hoping he could benefit from the schedule himself to turn things around. Hindsight being 20-20, it’s now clear that Carbonneau wasn’t the problem, and that we’ll have to go through yet another coaching change. And last but not least, no defenseman on the coaching staff to help a defensive core that struggled all season long, with the exception of Markov perhaps.
The media:
Instead of supporting the team and focusing on reporting what’s related to the team on the ice, some media doing their best to look for dirt, to try to expose the off-ice issues, purposely creating distractions around the team. True that they obviously had some things to report, but was it really necessary? And what about the timing of it all? This basically supports what I’ve been saying all along about some of the media in Montreal: too much tabloid reporting surrounding the Montreal Canadiens.
The fans:
By that I mean mostly the ones at the Bell Centre. The booing of the players, whether it’s young Ryan O’Byrne or Brisebois, it’s insane to boo your own players regardless of the price you pay for your ticket or the rights you think you have going to games. It’s one thing to do this to the entire team, to the special teams when they’re not shooting or icing the puck, but to isolate individual players, especially young ones with fragile confidence, doesn’t accomplish what fans are supposed to be there for, which is encouraging and cheering the team on to play at their maximum level, be the 7th man on the ice. To the contrary, it wrecks their confidence and could hamper their development. The recent booing of the American National Anthem and the sarcastic cheering of Carey Price during the playoffs was the last drop in a glass that was already too full. This is a disgrace to the organization, to the city, the province and the country. Those so-called “fans” should be really ashamed of themselves and now that we’ve lost, this fan is hoping that they jump off the bandwagon for good and never return as they’re not needed! I’ve lived to see Patrick Roy requesting a trade after such coward reactions by “fans”, I certainly don’t want to have to live through another one!
In conclusion:
Yes, a season filled with promises before the first puck drop, but a season filled with disappointments and heartbreaks. True fans stand up and give your team a round of applauds anyway and see you around as we are true Habs’ fans. We cheer them through thick or thin, through good times and bad times.


GO HABS GO!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 11:16 PM
  #2
Stradale
Registered User
 
Stradale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Not a single attack at Kovalev?

I personally think that injuries is the most important cause for the terrible year. We havent had a full line up in the whole season. So never had the chance to build chemestry.

Things gets even worst in the playoff.

Markov 5.75M$
Lang 4M$
Tanguay 5.25M$
Schneider 5.75M$

Total: 20.75M flushed down the toilet due to injury.

All the key/expensive player Gainey brought to help this team did not play half of the playoff.



In the best world, without injury. We should have this line up:

Tanguay-Koivu-Kovalev
S. Kostitsyn-Lang-A. Kostitsyn
Latendresse-Plekanec-Lapierre
Higgins-Metropolit-Kostopoulos-Laraque

Markov-Komisarek
Hamrlik-Schneider
Bouillon-Gorges-Dandenault


We are not that bad if you ask me.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 11:26 PM
  #3
Sports1131
Registered User
 
Sports1131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Boston/Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,167
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
it’s now clear that Carbonneau wasn’t the problem, and that we’ll have to go through yet another coaching change.
Carbonneau was definitely a big part of the problem. We're better off with a new coach.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 11:29 PM
  #4
Montrealer
Registered User
 
Montrealer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chambly QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,450
vCash: 500
Lots of hope going forward. Lots of cap space. Lots of young guys who will get better especially considering a lot of them crapped the bed this year. A baseline (considering how bad the 2nd half was) to build upon.

It'll be a good year next year, methinks. Maybe a great one.

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 11:29 PM
  #5
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
Carbonneau was definitely a big part of the problem. We're better off with a new coach.
Furthermore, it was pretty clear he wasn't going to be the solution.

Gainey was actually getting somewhere before Markov went down.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 11:36 PM
  #6
Habblues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sec 9 Fredericton NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 806
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
The fabulous Montreal Canadiens’ 100th Anniversary. The team coming off a season that saw them finish first in the Eastern Conference. The acquisition in the off-season of Alex Tanguay, Robert Lang and Georges Laraque and that, without losing a roster player in return. Carey Price coming off an excellent rookie season, set to take this team to new heights… and then the puck dropped.

This was a year filled with promises, making this defeat leave that much more of a sour taste in the fans, players and management’s mouths. What exactly were the disappointments?

Injuries:
Tanguay and Laraque started at training camp with injuries. Soon after and as the season progressed, the same Tanguay and Laraque, Koivu, Andrei Kostitsyn, Carey Price, Komisarek, Bouillon, Higgins, Latendresse and then Schneider and Markov all spent weeks off due to injuries. None were felt more than the Lang season ending Achilles injury and Markov’s knee injury, lost of the playoffs.
Stardom shock:
The story about the Kostitsyn brothers’ connection with the wrong crowd, the rumours of young celebrities spending more time working on their night life than they did on their conditioning and their career… Here’s hoping that lessons were learned on those aspects by both sides. The players in taking their career seriously, knowing that this is Montreal and with your fame, comes the stories attached if you step over the line. And to management in letting teenagers and young single adults live on their own with no guidance in a city like Montreal, without proper mentoring.
Coaching:
Guy Carbonneau, despite having a lot of success in his young career, was once again a first year coach who had to learn through the growing pains and in dealing with a dressing room with little character which included veterans with a history of being difficult to coach and motivate. Roland Melanson who is changing every goalie he works with into a butterfly goalie regardless of what brought these goalies to the NHL, regardless of the success they’ve had in the past, contributing to Price’s downfall. Bob Gainey choosing what’s considered to be a convenient time to fire Carbo, after a long road trip, after a win, just before starting a long home stand, hoping he could benefit from the schedule himself to turn things around. Hindsight being 20-20, it’s now clear that Carbonneau wasn’t the problem, and that we’ll have to go through yet another coaching change. And last but not least, no defenseman on the coaching staff to help a defensive core that struggled all season long, with the exception of Markov perhaps.
The media:
Instead of supporting the team and focusing on reporting what’s related to the team on the ice, some media doing their best to look for dirt, to try to expose the off-ice issues, purposely creating distractions around the team. True that they obviously had some things to report, but was it really necessary? And what about the timing of it all? This basically supports what I’ve been saying all along about some of the media in Montreal: too much tabloid reporting surrounding the Montreal Canadiens.
The fans:
By that I mean mostly the ones at the Bell Centre. The booing of the players, whether it’s young Ryan O’Byrne or Brisebois, it’s insane to boo your own players regardless of the price you pay for your ticket or the rights you think you have going to games. It’s one thing to do this to the entire team, to the special teams when they’re not shooting or icing the puck, but to isolate individual players, especially young ones with fragile confidence, doesn’t accomplish what fans are supposed to be there for, which is encouraging and cheering the team on to play at their maximum level, be the 7th man on the ice. To the contrary, it wrecks their confidence and could hamper their development. The recent booing of the American National Anthem and the sarcastic cheering of Carey Price during the playoffs was the last drop in a glass that was already too full. This is a disgrace to the organization, to the city, the province and the country. Those so-called “fans” should be really ashamed of themselves and now that we’ve lost, this fan is hoping that they jump off the bandwagon for good and never return as they’re not needed! I’ve lived to see Patrick Roy requesting a trade after such coward reactions by “fans”, I certainly don’t want to have to live through another one!
In conclusion:
Yes, a season filled with promises before the first puck drop, but a season filled with disappointments and heartbreaks. True fans stand up and give your team a round of applauds anyway and see you around as we are true Habs’ fans. We cheer them through thick or thin, through good times and bad times.


GO HABS GO!
Post of the Year.....I feel much better,thanks !.......and Your so Right.

Habblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 07:45 PM
  #7
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habblues View Post
Post of the Year.....I feel much better,thanks !.......and Your so Right.
Thanks.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 08:11 PM
  #8
CanadienErrant*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Cook Islands
Posts: 4,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
The fabulous Montreal Canadiens’ 100th Anniversary. The team coming off a season that saw them finish first in the Eastern Conference. The acquisition in the off-season of Alex Tanguay, Robert Lang and Georges Laraque and that, without losing a roster player in return. Carey Price coming off an excellent rookie season, set to take this team to new heights… and then the puck dropped.

This was a year filled with promises, making this defeat leave that much more of a sour taste in the fans, players and management’s mouths. What exactly were the disappointments?

Injuries:
Tanguay and Laraque started at training camp with injuries. Soon after and as the season progressed, the same Tanguay and Laraque, Koivu, Andrei Kostitsyn, Carey Price, Komisarek, Bouillon, Higgins, Latendresse and then Schneider and Markov all spent weeks off due to injuries. None were felt more than the Lang season ending Achilles injury and Markov’s knee injury, lost of the playoffs.
Stardom shock:
The story about the Kostitsyn brothers’ connection with the wrong crowd, the rumours of young celebrities spending more time working on their night life than they did on their conditioning and their career… Here’s hoping that lessons were learned on those aspects by both sides. The players in taking their career seriously, knowing that this is Montreal and with your fame, comes the stories attached if you step over the line. And to management in letting teenagers and young single adults live on their own with no guidance in a city like Montreal, without proper mentoring.
Coaching:
Guy Carbonneau, despite having a lot of success in his young career, was once again a first year coach who had to learn through the growing pains and in dealing with a dressing room with little character which included veterans with a history of being difficult to coach and motivate. Roland Melanson who is changing every goalie he works with into a butterfly goalie regardless of what brought these goalies to the NHL, regardless of the success they’ve had in the past, contributing to Price’s downfall. Bob Gainey choosing what’s considered to be a convenient time to fire Carbo, after a long road trip, after a win, just before starting a long home stand, hoping he could benefit from the schedule himself to turn things around. Hindsight being 20-20, it’s now clear that Carbonneau wasn’t the problem, and that we’ll have to go through yet another coaching change. And last but not least, no defenseman on the coaching staff to help a defensive core that struggled all season long, with the exception of Markov perhaps.
The media:
Instead of supporting the team and focusing on reporting what’s related to the team on the ice, some media doing their best to look for dirt, to try to expose the off-ice issues, purposely creating distractions around the team. True that they obviously had some things to report, but was it really necessary? And what about the timing of it all? This basically supports what I’ve been saying all along about some of the media in Montreal: too much tabloid reporting surrounding the Montreal Canadiens.
The fans:
By that I mean mostly the ones at the Bell Centre. The booing of the players, whether it’s young Ryan O’Byrne or Brisebois, it’s insane to boo your own players regardless of the price you pay for your ticket or the rights you think you have going to games. It’s one thing to do this to the entire team, to the special teams when they’re not shooting or icing the puck, but to isolate individual players, especially young ones with fragile confidence, doesn’t accomplish what fans are supposed to be there for, which is encouraging and cheering the team on to play at their maximum level, be the 7th man on the ice. To the contrary, it wrecks their confidence and could hamper their development. The recent booing of the American National Anthem and the sarcastic cheering of Carey Price during the playoffs was the last drop in a glass that was already too full. This is a disgrace to the organization, to the city, the province and the country. Those so-called “fans” should be really ashamed of themselves and now that we’ve lost, this fan is hoping that they jump off the bandwagon for good and never return as they’re not needed! I’ve lived to see Patrick Roy requesting a trade after such coward reactions by “fans”, I certainly don’t want to have to live through another one!
In conclusion:
Yes, a season filled with promises before the first puck drop, but a season filled with disappointments and heartbreaks. True fans stand up and give your team a round of applauds anyway and see you around as we are true Habs’ fans. We cheer them through thick or thin, through good times and bad times.


GO HABS GO!
Is it a Rejean Tremblay"s scenario of Lance et Compte ?

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 08:19 PM
  #9
mlandry
Registered User
 
mlandry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Is it a Rejean Tremblay"s scenario of Lance et Compte ?
Come on now, I don't usually agree with whatever Asterix posts but he's got it pretty right this time around.

Made you didn't read it, so let me resume it for you (with my opinion added in) :

I'm not too disappointed in this season but injuries and a few young players regressing stopped us from going any further.

The coaching was very questionable, and even the players called Carbo out with his constant line changes.

The off-ice events were just ridiculous; and from the media coverage to fan reactions during games, our team was made a mockery of by the rest of the league.

mlandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 08:28 PM
  #10
la25ecoupe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Furthermore, it was pretty clear he wasn't going to be the solution.

Gainey was actually getting somewhere before Markov went down.
I don't get all the Carbo chant.. if Markov was in the lineup, this team would've went really far..

They were soo hot, beating Trash 6-3, Bolts, Leafs 6-3, Hawks 4-1..

Then boom.. free fall

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 08:57 PM
  #11
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Is it a Rejean Tremblay"s scenario of Lance et Compte ?
Hey I didn't write the script. This is what happened this season.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.