HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ashamed to be a Habs fan

Old
04-23-2009, 08:46 AM
wolfinhabsclothing

vCash: 500
Ashamed to be a Habs fan

Letter I wrote to Team 990 and The Gazette:

Today, April 23, 2009, I have never been more ashamed to be a fan of the Montreal Canadiens. I don't feel this way because the team was swept by the Boston Bruins, had a disasterous centennial season, or even because of the reported, alleged off-ice incidents. I am horribly ashamed because fellow, so-called, fans disrespect another country's anthem, mercilessly jeer a 21-year-old goalie for being guilty of nothing more than not being to carry an overmatched team on his back, and mock a man who has given his blood, sweat, and (too many) tears to the Canadiens organization for nearly 30 years.

What are these fans, not to mention certain members of the media who fan the flames, thinking? What free agent in his right mind would want to come here? What free agent to be would want to stay here? What player will look upon it as a positive thing when he learns he's been traded to the "Bleu, Blanc, Rouge"?

Today is a sad day indeed!

wolfinhabsclothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 08:51 AM
windycity

I understand the sentiment but I'm not ashamed to be a Habs fan, rather I am ashamed that we seem to have more than our fair share of a-hole supposed "fans".

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 08:51 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinhabsclothing View Post

Today, April 23, 2009, I have never been more ashamed to be a fan of the Montreal Canadiens. I don't feel this way because the team was swept by the Boston Bruins, had a disasterous centennial season, or even because of the reported, alleged off-ice incidents. I am horribly ashamed because fellow, so-called, fans disrespect another country's anthem, mercilessly jeer a 21-year-old goalie for being guilty of nothing more than not being to carry an overmatched team on his back, and mock a man who has given his blood, sweat, and (too many) tears to the Canadiens organization for nearly 30 years.

What are these fans, not to mention certain members of the media who fan the flames, thinking? What free agent in his right mind would want to come here? What free agent to be would want to stay here? What player will look upon it as a positive thing when he learns he's been traded to the "Bleu, Blanc, Rouge"?

It's called frustration. This team has been in a 15 year funk.

Ask George Gillett - would you rather have fans show their frustration by booing or by not showing up at all?

gusfring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 08:55 AM
12jf54

I agree completly. Thank God season is over and we won't have to deal with these bandwagonners for another year...

12jf54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 08:55 AM
Gros Bill

Sheesh, talk about melodrama. So you've never been more ashamed of being a habs fan? So you've been ashamed in the past as well, I gather. Why put yourself to shame on a regular basis? You should cheer for another team, no? It'll save you some grief.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 08:56 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
It's called frustration. This team has been in a 15 year funk.

Ask George Gillett - would you rather have fans show their frustration by booing or by not showing up at all?
Oh please, it's not 21,000 fans who are booing it's the drunk tards in the upper bowl that are. Those aren't fans, those are idiots.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 08:58 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I'm just going to laugh when everyone freaks out when we don't sign a big UFA again July 1st and then they will blame the organization.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 09:00 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I'm just going to laugh when everyone freaks out when we don't sign a big UFA again July 1st and then they will blame the organization.
I wouldn't sign for a team that doesn't know how to win, either.

A very stagnant team with a record of poor player development - no thanks.

Old
04-23-2009, 09:00 AM
Selanne08*

what do you expect?

Selanne08* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 09:01 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
False dichotomy.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 09:02 AM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinhabsclothing View Post

That's a good letter. It's too bad a few bad apples can spoil an entire batch but that's the reality right now. I'm sure a lot of Habs players were thinking **** the city of Montreal last night.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 04-23-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 09:03 AM
windycity

Quote:
word

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 09:09 AM
Stefan

Send a message via MSN to Stefan
I was in Montreal for games 3 and 4, and before game 4 I wore my jersey all day. People were literally chirping me that the Habs suck, IN Montreal. The Carbo chants were absolutely ridiculous, I'm so sick and tired of SOME Habs fans right now. Can't wait for CFL season.

Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 09:12 AM
Peter6625

I understand your frustration. Every successful organization gets there share of ******** bandwagon fans. Look at the Bruins this year, the Garden was packed. Where were they last year? In game 1 and game 2, I sat in luxury boxes with a bunch of people that couldn't identify one habs player. Now we have a bunch of college ******** coming to the games starting trouble. Wait for the Bruins to struggle again and they will start in with their nonesense. Like I said it unfortunate, but it's reality when it comes to successful teams, especially when it comes to a team as successful as the Habs have been.

As for booing Price I thought that was a little over the top. You can't blame him for the loss. No doubt he struggled, but if Chara went down for the Bruins the same would have happened to Thomas. Last night the only hab i seen still going all out was Lapierre. He's one hell of a hockey player. Those are the keepers.

Peter6625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 09:17 AM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter6625 View Post
I understand your frustration. Every successful organization gets there share of ******** bandwagon fans. Look at the Bruins this year, the Garden was packed. Where were they last year? In game 1 and game 2, I sat in luxury boxes with a bunch of people that couldn't identify one habs player. Now we have a bunch of college ******** coming to the games starting trouble. Wait for the Bruins to struggle again and they will start in with their nonesense. Like I said it unfortunate, but it's reality when it comes to successful teams, especially when it comes to a team as successful as the Habs have been.

As for booing Price I thought that was a little over the top. You can't blame him for the loss. No doubt he struggled, but if Chara went down for the Bruins the same would have happened to Thomas. Last night the only hab i seen still going all out was Lapierre. He's one hell of a hockey player. Those are the keepers.
This could be recognized as the best Bruins post on the Habs board ever, props to you lad.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 09:20 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
False dichotomy.
How so?

Old
04-23-2009, 09:23 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter6625 View Post

Good post. As for the booing of Price, here's a partial list of goalies who have been booed in Montréal : Jacques Plante, Ken Dryden, Patrick Roy...

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 09:26 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
How so?
Fans can come at the Bell Center without booing - like everywhere else in the NHL.

As for fans who for some reason HAVE to boo the habs - yes, they can stay home. Just like Gainey said a few years ago when he defended Brisebois. Don't worry, the Bell Center won't suddendly stop selling out because the jaunes aren't comming anymore.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Good post. As for the booing of Price, here's a partial list of goalies who have been booed in Montréal : Jacques Plante, Ken Dryden, Patrick Roy...
I'm old enough to remember the Roy booing...but too young for Plante and Dryden.

Did Plante and Dryden get it that bad as well?

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 09:27 AM
TheCH*

Players get booed in a lot of places. The bigger the market, the more the chance there is of that happening. Thats life.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 09:28 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Same here. It is embarrassing the way players are treated and how, supposedly, knowledgable fans can be so ignorant at times.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 09:29 AM
LyleOdelein

The biggest upside of the disappointment of this season will be the purging of a lot of idiotic bandwagon fans from the fanbase. Last year's success brought with it a number of "supporters" that I would deem as fairweather fans. These are the types of people that expect the team to win every game 6-0 and don't understand the significance of injuries, or that player development is an up and down process. Good riddance.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 09:34 AM
Peter6625

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Can't wait for CFL season.

It's right around the corner. The Als are looking good too. My former teammate plays for the Als, Diamond Ferri.

Peter6625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 09:36 AM
Nedved

Quote:
im gonna laugh at you when we sign j-bo, Niedermayer, gaborik, hossa, havlat, Cammalleri and the sedin twins

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 09:36 AM
timbitca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Fans can come at the Bell Center without booing - like everywhere else in the NHL.

As for fans who for some reason HAVE to boo the habs - yes, they can stay home. Just like Gainey said a few years ago when he defended Brisebois. Don't worry, the Bell Center won't suddendly stop selling out because the jaunes aren't comming anymore.
Correct, and maybe once all the jaunes are out the real fans and the ones who actually know a few things about hockey might be able to make it to some games.

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote