HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"There's no reason for me to leave" - Koivu

Old
04-23-2009, 06:48 AM
Malakhov

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
Yeah we have so many people waiting to take there places, much better and more tallented options, we would be such a better team without them yay!

Yeah, let's not trade the lazy youngsters (Kost bros & co) for a real center, there'd be no point in doing that.

Malakhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 06:55 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov View Post
Yeah, let's not trade the lazy youngsters (Kost bros & co) for a real center, there'd be no point in doing that.
Please tell me how other teams might want to trade you a real center for a bunch of lazy guys? Unless that if they do, it means that they believe, Ryder style, that they can turn their career around so, how about for once that it happens here? How about we stop about "he would have never done it here" and finally makes players better in this freakin team? The Kostys might never be initiators, but have better leadership around them, guys that will push them, and you'll see what they're made of.

But clearly, we prefer to see our guys succeed elsewhere. Geez do we love those ex-habs threads...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 06:56 AM
ngc_5128

Quote:
Yeah, because every team in the league is lining up to trade their stars for our garbage, Yay!

ngc_5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 06:59 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

One day people needs to realize that it's not about the possibility of having something better. Everybody wants that. It's all about improving IF possible. Doesn't mean we'd be contender, doesn't mean we will suck. But if you can't have better, why wouldn't you just stick with him. Nobody talks about 10-year contract here. But unless Maxwell and Chipchura suddenly becomes your #1-#2 punch...., chances are Koivu and Plekanec will be your best options for next year yet again. Sad but true.

So getting rid of a player for just the fun of getting rid of him, is not needed.

Old
04-23-2009, 07:05 AM
Malakhov

And one day people are gonna realise that no youngsters succeed in montreal because they dont have real talented players to be surrounded with.

You want to bring ex habs players into this? Sure go ahead, it's just gonna prove my point.

Leclair? He was paired with Lindros and became a beast.
You want recent players?
Ribeiro was paired with Morrow and became a better player.
Beauchemin was paired with Niedermayer and became a better player.
Ryder was paired with much better players in Boston to fit his style and became a better player.
etc..

I'm not saying the Kost brothers arent good players, they are. I believe A Kost could be a 40 goals scorer in this league, but paired with a really good center, wich we don't have in Montreal. It's time to go get one, no matter what it costs because if we dont, we'll keep heading in the same direction, year after year, like we're doing now.

I love Koivu as much as everyone but it's time to let him go, better for us, better for him.

We have to rethink about OUR WHOLE CENTER POSITION, Koivu and Plekanec aren't cutting it anymore.

Old
04-23-2009, 07:10 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

Quote:
We have to rethink about OUR WHOLE CENTER POSITION, Koivu and Plekanec aren't cutting it anymore.
Nobody says that we don't have to improve at that position. Nobody. Reason why I wanted Getzlaf in 03, reason why I wanted Berglund in 06. But it's not about rethinking. It's about doing it. So what do you suggest? Lecavalier? Which players are that interesting to TBay now? Plekanec with the way he handled himself and even the Kostys who might start to rise some question marks? What else can we do? UFA's? They don't want to come here.

There's one solution. We need to draft them. We need to think about that position like we thought about the d-men at one point. It should have been done much earlier than that. We had a chance to draft really interesting prospect at that position (aside from what I named already, Grachev (who I wanted) comes to mind so hard, wait till you see him play in the Mem Cup if he goes there....) We need to hope that Maxwell is ready. But getting a top 2 centerman, well it's much much easier to rethink about it than to actually do it.

Old
04-23-2009, 07:19 AM
Malakhov

There's other options in a trade than Lecavalier, he's not the only good center in the league and sometime it's a player you would never of thought about.

Just this deadline, one was available and Gainey thought he wasn't that good, that he couldn't help the team, but he surely was better than anything we had in the organisation.

And surely Koivu wouldn't of been happy to play with him, surely it wouldn't of motivated him...

Yeah I'm talking about Jokinen.

Old
04-23-2009, 07:24 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

Quote:
There's other options in a trade than Lecavalier, he's not the only good center in the league and sometime it's a player you would never of thought about.

Just this deadline, one was available and Gainey thought he wasn't that good, that he couldn't help the team, but he surely was better than anything we had in the organisation : Jokinen.
See there are tons of conflicting reports coming from Calgary despite Jokinen incredible start of career with Calgary. And then when you watch for whom he was had, well sure we could find something close to Prust. But then who is our Lombardi? Surely Phoenix wanted a centerman, so who would you take, Plekanec or Lombardi? Surely Plekanec seems to have a higher upside offensively, but Lombardi seems to be the best 2-way guy so how about they were looking for that kind of player? And now that we got rid of our 1st and 2nd for Tanguay, a guy we don't know if we are going to keep, you would have get rid of another 1st for another guy you would have lost when our team needs to build on the draft? Surely I don't agree with Gainey who didn't seem to make any offers to anybody, at least as a GM you need to ask. But seeing what was given, I don't see how we could have done it.

Well I would not have done it 'cause I don't believe Jokinen would have turn and had the character to turn this around almost by himself.

Same for the people who wanted Antropov who was had for a 2nd rounder in 2009, a pick we don't have by the way....

Old
04-23-2009, 07:25 AM
MonacoBlue

Quote:

Just this deadline, one was available and Gainey thought he wasn't that good, that he couldn't help the team, but he surely was better than anything we had in the organisation.

And surely Koivu wouldn't of been happy to play with him, surely it wouldn't of motivated him...

Yeah I'm talking about Jokinen.
Jokinen is a stinky, locker room cancer choker that would've cost more than he was worth.

Flames are going nowhere with that guy.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 07:29 AM
Malakhov

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlue View Post
Jokinen is a stinky, locker room cancer choker that would've cost more than he was worth.

Flames are going nowhere with that guy.
Yeah they're going nowhere, they just won the last 2 games to tie the series after losing 2-0. I guess that's a serious lack of character and effort.

Old
04-23-2009, 07:30 AM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Yeah they're going nowhere, they just came back from behind to tie the series. I guess that's a serious lack of character and effort.
It's all Chicago's fault for waking up the sleeping giant that is Iginla. He's the one carrying that line. Chokinen is just along for the ride.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 07:32 AM
Malakhov

Yeah obviously, he just scored 2 goals and got an assist for nothing yesterday, +4? Geez, that means nothing. I mean they could only lace up Iginla and they'd be fine.

Forget Cammalleri and Jokinen, what was Sutter thinking about?!

Old
04-23-2009, 07:57 AM
Pax Macioretty

Some of you guys are just kidding on wanting Koivu to stay, right?

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 08:28 AM
Travis Moen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
You are kidding for asking this question, right?

Travis Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 08:31 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Hum, lets see... many peoples have said on this very board during this very season that they would like for Koivu to stay until the end of his career. My guess is that, no, there's not kidding. Maybe the lame arguments presented for his departure don't actually convince them of the contrary. Maybe the fact that the peoples who want to see Koivu go can't come up with a realistic backup solution other than the ever-obvious "we need to upgrade our center line".

But of course, like so many other peoples around here, maybe you're so **** sure about yourself that you really believe that you are right and that nobody could seriously disagree with you.

For the record, of course Koivu must be signed back. We simply lack offensive centers, and he's going to come up cheap compared to the equivalent UFA. It's a no brainer. Obviously he can't cut as a first line center anymore but that's completely beside the point. The only way I could see Gainey not signing him back is if he already has a sure-thing deal on the table for a top center.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 08:53 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

In my NHL 09, Koivu was traded for Alex Semin and Plekanec signed with Toronto.

The centres were as follows, in order:

Higgins-Lapierre-Latendresse (??)-Laraque (??)

Realistically, that's our centre depth!

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 08:55 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Man I love Koivu. This guy is a habs for life. <3

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 08:55 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
We can't make any drastic moves with our center position. We've got to see if Koivu and Lang can come back for one more season.. Plekanec well it's abundantly clear we're not going anywhere with him being relied upon in the play-offs but you have to keep him until Maxwell is NHL ready.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 09:01 AM
davenash

I hope Saku stays, it'd be weird seeing him in a different uniform, but we really do need a dominating centre too.

davenash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 09:15 AM
Roulin

Quote:
And one day people are gonna realise that no youngsters succeed in montreal because they dont have real talented players to be surrounded with.

You want to bring ex habs players into this? Sure go ahead, it's just gonna prove my point.

Leclair? He was paired with Lindros and became a beast.
You want recent players?
Ribeiro was paired with Morrow and became a better player.
Beauchemin was paired with Niedermayer and became a better player.
Ryder was paired with much better players in Boston to fit his style and became a better player.
etc..

I'm not saying the Kost brothers arent good players, they are. I believe A Kost could be a 40 goals scorer in this league, but paired with a really good center, wich we don't have in Montreal. It's time to go get one, no matter what it costs because if we dont, we'll keep heading in the same direction, year after year, like we're doing now.

I love Koivu as much as everyone but it's time to let him go, better for us, better for him.

First, I think that at this point, nobody is arguing that Koivu is an elite player.

That said, I think that many folks (see quoted) are under the impression that Koivu stands in the way of the Habs obtaining an elite player. How does this make any sense? Saku doesn't make enough money to take the cap space away from a top player - that hasn't been an issue for the Habs anyway, they've tried to throw obscene amounts of cash at Sundin and Briere. Koivu is a free agent, so he can't be part of a trade for an elite player. So what's the issue?

I, for one, am in favour of Koivu returning AND in favour of adding an elite forward. I don't see these things being at odds.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 09:15 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Ironic considering the lengths you go to to defend the acquisition of the guy in your avatar.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 10:07 AM
timbitca

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
In my NHL 09, Koivu was traded for Alex Semin and Plekanec signed with Toronto.

The centres were as follows, in order:

Higgins-Lapierre-Latendresse (??)-Laraque (??)

Realistically, that's our centre depth!
Now that's scary. Latendresse as trouble keeping up with the play playing on the wings, wouldn't want to see him try and play center.

And in my NHL 09 my first line consists of Tanguay - Koivu - Iginla and my second of the Kosts' and Toews, third is Lats(who I ****ing hate) - Cammaleri and Parise. Hehe. I made a few illegal trades

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 10:38 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
Now that's scary. Latendresse as trouble keeping up with the play playing on the wings, wouldn't want to see him try and play center.

And in my NHL 09 my first line consists of Tanguay - Koivu - Iginla and my second of the Kosts' and Toews, third is Lats(who I ****ing hate) - Cammaleri and Parise. Hehe. I made a few illegal trades
I'm playing Be a Pro so I don't control transactions.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 11:03 AM
smon

Here's Saku's full comments:

"I love the time in Montreal, and there's no reason for me to leave, but to be able to sign, you need both parties — the team and the player — to be on terms, and we'll see what happens," he told Hockey Night in Canada after the game.

"I don't think anybody knows what the future holds for me or Montreal right now," said Koivu. "There's a lot of other players as well that are unsigned, and we have to see what happens.

"I'm going to take some time off, get away from hockey for a bit, kind of review things, and I'm sure management will do the same thing," he added.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stan...vu-future.html

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 11:31 AM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post
Ironic considering the lengths you go to to defend the acquisition of the guy in your avatar.
And the problem, the Habs have been built around Koivu for the last 15 years and have gone nowhere, and now he's even starting to slow down during the playoffs where usually that's where he would save his season. The team isin't buil around Georges Laraque, who has made an impact if you only look at the quantity of cheapshots that were thrown during the games he was in the line-up and his win-lose ration when he fights. We need a true n.1 center, plain and simple

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote