HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ashamed to be a Habs fan

Old
04-23-2009, 09:38 AM
Kebekoi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanwuc View Post
im gonna laugh at you when we sign j-bo, Niedermayer, gaborik, hossa, havlat, Cammalleri and the sedin twins
What about the trade for Lecavalier?

Kebekoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 09:41 AM
HomaridII

I don't understand the "shame" or the big deal made out of Price getting booed. You know what, he deserved the boos, sorry. People say that fans in this town are sore losers, I say whatever, we lost last year pretty badly to the Flyers, didn't see anybody booing did you?

Its about HOW they lost and not just the series against Boston, obviously Boston is a far better team even had we had Markov and Lang and Tanguay. Our defense simply was not good enough, period.

They deserved to be booed because noone appeared to give a **** except a few select players. Because they weren't giving 100% on the ice every shift and were making stupid mistakes, because they weren't acting as "professional athletes". Everybody says that Lafleur was an alcoholic and nobody mentioned it at the time, want to know why? In Dryden's book he mentions how Lafleur was always the first guy out at practice, usually as much as 2 hours before practice started Lafleur was out on the ice on his own skating and practicing his shot. We have reports from credible journalists (Dany Dube, Francois Gagnon for example) of Price and company arriving hungover to practice, I am not even going to go into the rumours of Price and company living it up in town mid week.

Had they acted like professional athletes, had they gave it their all and played their best, they wouldn't have been booed. Sorry, I am not ashamed that the fans let them know they didn't earn their paycheck this season, I am not ashamed the fans let the 21 year old phenom know it is NOT ok to tank half a season while living the nightlife and not practicing hard ...

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 09:41 AM
ScottFC

I agree with some fans beeing a-holes but I put the blame on the french media.. There are too many journalists who only have a Job because of the canadiens, in other citys sports journalists have Hockey/football/baseball/basketball... to worry about but in montreal our only profesional athletes play on the montreal canadiens. The media needs to stop trying to dig for stories and black listing players to make them seem as if they are not just underperforming on the ice but that they are all around horrible people. Fans feed off of this, just like all the carey price haters who don't realize how much of a spectacular goaltender he is. At 21 years old he might not to be able to steal every game for us but I don't watch too many games that Carey doesn't at least give us the chance to win. Carey needs to learn how it feels to lose so that he can become a winner, This team needs a strong defensive coach, a center ( depending on if Lang returns ) and a little bit of luck ... Let's not all forget that 3 months ago we were fighting against boston for 1st place with many players injured and at the end of the season our injuries just plain and simple got the best of us.. Cheers to the montreal canadiens staying Classy and Carey Price for at least standing up for himself

ScottFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 09:44 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I'm old enough to remember the Roy booing...but too young for Plante and Dryden.

Did Plante and Dryden get it that bad as well?

I'm far too young to have seen Plante play (McPhee could help you there, I guess, although by then, his mental faculties were already on the downswing), but the fans were merciless with Dryden when he'd let in a soft one, which he did regularly.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 09:48 AM
timbitca

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
I don't understand the "shame" or the big deal made out of Price getting booed. You know what, he deserved the boos, sorry. People say that fans in this town are sore losers, I say whatever, we lost last year pretty badly to the Flyers, didn't see anybody booing did you?

Its about HOW they lost and not just the series against Boston, obviously Boston is a far better team even had we had Markov and Lang and Tanguay. Our defense simply was not good enough, period.

They deserved to be booed because noone appeared to give a **** except a few select players. Because they weren't giving 100% on the ice every shift and were making stupid mistakes, because they weren't acting as "professional athletes". Everybody says that Lafleur was an alcoholic and nobody mentioned it at the time, want to know why? In Dryden's book he mentions how Lafleur was always the first guy out at practice, usually as much as 2 hours before practice started Lafleur was out on the ice on his own skating and practicing his shot. We have reports from credible journalists (Dany Dube, Francois Gagnon for example) of Price and company arriving hungover to practice, I am not even going to go into the rumours of Price and company living it up in town mid week.

Had they acted like professional athletes, had they gave it their all and played their best, they wouldn't have been booed. Sorry, I am not ashamed that the fans let them know they didn't earn their paycheck this season, I am not ashamed the fans let the 21 year old phenom know it is NOT ok to tank half a season while living the nightlife and not practicing hard ...

I'm not even going to bother.

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 09:55 AM
Mother Pucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter6625 View Post
I understand your frustration. Every successful organization gets there share of retarded bandwagon fans. Look at the Bruins this year, the Garden was packed. Where were they last year? In game 1 and game 2, I sat in luxury boxes with a bunch of people that couldn't identify one habs player. Now we have a bunch of college ******** coming to the games starting trouble. Wait for the Bruins to struggle again and they will start in with their nonesense. Like I said it unfortunate, but it's reality when it comes to successful teams, especially when it comes to a team as successful as the Habs have been.

As for booing Price I thought that was a little over the top. You can't blame him for the loss. No doubt he struggled, but if Chara went down for the Bruins the same would have happened to Thomas. Last night the only hab i seen still going all out was Lapierre. He's one hell of a hockey player. Those are the keepers.
This.
We should clone you.

Mother Pucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 09:55 AM
Stormrider451

The Habs fans got what they deserved. And they will not win much with this kind of attitude. You boo anthems, you boo your own players, you and your media ask so much from your players that you end up breaking them. Its time to wake up and smell the coffee. Time to show some class and some respect for players and coaches who I can assure you gave it their all. They were just completely overwhelmed by key injuries and a way better team.

Stormrider451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 10:01 AM
Puckhead58*

I'm ashamed to be a Habs fan too....but I'm more ashamed that the team quit half way through the season and decided to stop playing hard and trying to win. They went out there and went through the motions. 2 players showed up for the playoff series against Boston and they were Kovalev and Higgins. These were the only 2 guys that done anything productive on the ice during the whole series. The rest of the team just turned into cream puffs and were scared to get hurt in order to win a game.

I sure hope the whole team is different next year....I'm sick of watching a bunch of small players act like wimps on the ice instead of playing their hearts out and using their small size and speed as an advantage.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimflylice View Post
nice avatar...very

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 10:22 AM
Booky

I think im going to take a break from HF boards for a while, cannot take the nagging and the negativity...

Booky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 10:24 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Sad that we forget about the majority who gave a great standing O at the end despite that really disapointing seasno. Sad that we forget that the nutcases on the upper levels are just fans who are taking their opinions from the media. The media that I defended in some occasions but who I say HAVE to take the responsability for this as well.

Somebody called CKAC this morning and said that she was sitting near the Molson EX Zone and said that it was a living hell. That a guy just sitting near her was shouting all game long after Koivu, saying how he was the cancer and needed to go.....where do you think he took that? Who succeeded in getting that into his head?

I believe that you can want Koivu in or out based on hockey reasons only. But to talk like that it means that some of the journalists' agendas are finally getting into people's head, and I refuse to think that the "fans" are the sole responsible. Like I was refusing to think that the "media" is the sole responsible for the UFA period.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 10:32 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I'm just going to laugh when everyone freaks out when we don't sign a big UFA again July 1st and then they will blame the organization.
See one thing I'm eager to see. When/If Gainey is not the GM, how will people react? Will they be smoother on him, or will they be more on his case even in the UFA period.

It's great for the organization though. They have the perfect reasons to not get anybody. Thing is, I still want them on every important front. Not true that we should forget about UFA's without trying. I am tired of being runner-ups and clearly we know that our runner-up position just exists so the players gets more money.

But then to our "great" pleasure, we had Laraque and Hamrlik. So you still can get UFA's but you need to either overpay, or you need to go after the guys who want to come. I remember a guy like Ian Laperrière who really wanted to come and was dissapointed to not receive an offer. So clearly we won't be able to get the game changing guys but the great serviceable guys who might not have tons of offers but still could do a fine job are available to us. So get those.

But the game changing guys, you need to draft them. That's it. So the organization might have a pass as far as UFA is concerned, but they're not getting as far as the draft is concerned. We need more people implicated in this process than every other team. We need the best in the business. We need FULL time scouts everywhere. We need picks, more picks, unless you trade them for a key player.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 10:38 AM
BJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
I wouldn't sign for a team that doesn't know how to win, either.

A very stagnant team with a record of poor player development - no thanks.
Like Chara signing with a team that hadn't won a single playoff series in almost a decade, or the cup since 1972?

BJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Sad that we forget about the majority who gave a great standing O at the end despite that really disapointing seasno. Sad that we forget that the nutcases on the upper levels are just fans who are taking their opinions from the media. The media that I defended in some occasions but who I say HAVE to take the responsability for this as well.

Somebody called CKAC this morning and said that she was sitting near the Molson EX Zone and said that it was a living hell. That a guy just sitting near her was shouting all game long after Koivu, saying how he was the cancer and needed to go.....where do you think he took that? Who succeeded in getting that into his head?

I believe that you can want Koivu in or out based on hockey reasons only. But to talk like that it means that some of the journalists' agendas are finally getting into people's head, and I refuse to think that the "fans" are the sole responsible. Like I was refusing to think that the "media" is the sole responsible for the UFA period.
Good post...i'm looking forward to a younger generation taking over the coverage of the Habs in Montreal. The 'old guard' is spoiled by the success of the past and think the Habs still compete in a 12 team league. I can't wait for the day where coverage of the Habs will consist more of talking about actual hockey and strategies, rather than hidden political debates or this sensationalism that's taken over the coverage of the Habs

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 10:40 AM
DougHarvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanwuc View Post
im gonna laugh at you when we sign j-bo, Niedermayer, gaborik, hossa, havlat, Cammalleri and the sedin twins
All for less than 2 million per year..guaranteed

DougHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 11:02 AM
Peter6625

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother Pucker View Post
This.
We should clone you.
Haha.....I'm a diehard Bruins fan, I'm use to losing. I figured it would be a perfect time to add my two cents. I'm sure you guys will be back in the mix for the cup next season. Who wouldn't want to play in front of 21,000+ every game!

Peter6625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 11:06 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Haha.....I'm a diehard Bruins fan, I'm use to losing. I figured it would be a perfect time to add my two cents. I'm sure you guys will be back in the mix for the cup next season. Who wouldn't want to play in front of 21,000+ every game!
Not everyone can handle the pressure,trust me some stars would rather not be in the spotlight

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 11:09 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJG View Post
Like Chara signing with a team that hadn't won a single playoff series in almost a decade, or the cup since 1972?
Obviously Chiarelli was able to sell Chara on what they were trying to do - it seems to be working.

Bostons' been very aggressive in free agency and with trades.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 11:20 AM
saints96

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Players get booed in a lot of places. The bigger the market, the more the chance there is of that happening. Thats life.
its about having class, which is an attribute thats lacking with our fans, and media

saints96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 11:34 AM
Prendan Brust

So you're ashamed?

Personnally I'm not. I could do without the booing but I understand the general sentiment a lot and I relate to it in a lot of ways.

First, what were we sold at the beginning of the season? Who made us dream? What were we supposed to expect? Being the worst team of the league for the second half of the season? They sold us cup hopes my friend, nothing less.

People talk about the injuries, yeah it hurt us a lot, but weren't we supposed to have a lot of depth? People were saying Montreal was one of the toughest place to hope for a spot in the lineup! Finally it was our lack of depth that was exposed this year.

Now the rumors... Was there some truth to it? Who knows... But one thing I know is that the Habs organisation let that get out of hand. They're not transparent enough. They let the rumor fly without addressing them, they let the media speculate instead of acting first. They know how the media are and they should know how to deal with them. Sure, the media is to blame, but the Habs depend on them and have to do with them, so it's up to them to find a strategy and deal with the horde. For example, for the third game Gainey wouldn't reveal his line up until game time. What good there is to it? What good there is to the "no comment" approach when you know the media is so likely to speculate?
Personnally, I think there was some truth to the rumors simply because the on ice product was too affected by it. You don't get that affected by made-up rumors, I don't buy that.

Finally, players development... I mean, how many times did you see a whole group of youngster that was supposed to carry the torch fall flat like that or even regress? 1 ok, 2 well it happens, all of them? WTF is going on? Someone has to be held accountable for that, and I'm sorry but it's not the fans. The fans didn't start to "bully" the organisation until very late in the season, and rightfully IMO given the bullsh*t we were sold. It was up to them to carry the load once the big guns fell, and I'm sorry but Robert Lang was supposed to be a complementary player not a building block so the fact that people now turn to his injury as one of the turning point of the season just shows how misevaluated or mishandled this team was.

So yeah, booing Carey isn't the best thing to do, chanting Carbo isn't the best thing to do, but being mad at the organisation given the circumstances is perfectly reasonnable. The fans aren't responsible for the on ice product, they pay to watch it, they had expectations and they're disappointed, rightfully.

I love Bob Gainey and in a way wish he would stay but at the same time I think he has to be held accountable.

Prendan Brust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 11:34 AM
BJCOLLINS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Good post...i'm looking forward to a younger generation taking over the coverage of the Habs in Montreal. The 'old guard' is spoiled by the success of the past and think the Habs still compete in a 12 team league. I can't wait for the day where coverage of the Habs will consist more of talking about actual hockey and strategies, rather than hidden political debates or this sensationalism that's taken over the coverage of the Habs
+1

well said.

BJCOLLINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 11:50 AM
Prendan Brust

One thing I wanted to add is if everyone leaves the boat, i.e. the players, it just shows how little pride they have. If this season was really a fluke and not the last one, it's up to them to prove it. They didn't lose fans' support, not at all, they lost fans' confidence though.

Old
04-23-2009, 11:55 AM
Stefan

Send a message via MSN to Stefan
Quote:
I understand your frustration. Every successful organization gets there share of retarded bandwagon fans. Look at the Bruins this year, the Garden was packed. Where were they last year? In game 1 and game 2, I sat in luxury boxes with a bunch of people that couldn't identify one habs player. Now we have a bunch of college ******** coming to the games starting trouble. Wait for the Bruins to struggle again and they will start in with their nonesense.
To be fair, the Bruins were 17th in the NHL at total attendance at 17,039 a game, and 19th in percentage at 91.5% capacity. Kinda sad actually.

Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 12:02 PM
crakced

I would think disgusted would be the more appropriate word. Booing Price, when it was far from his fault. Did they see how many odd many rushes we gave up last night. Terrible. Fairweather fickle fans to say the least.

Boo the anthem...who gives a crap, obviously the people that go to the games don't care as they continue to do it. Like they said in Coaches Corner...why do we still play the anthems before games again?

This season started off with such promise to only come crashing down at the half way point to the end of the season. That is the most frustrating part of this season, and if you think those guys in the dressing room aren't more troubled by it than the fans are...well I highly doubt it.

Face it, we lost to a better team. Bruins are for real, and could go far in this years playoffs that is for sure.

crakced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 12:16 PM
Prendan Brust

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakced View Post
I would think disgusted would be the more appropriate word. Booing Price, when it was far from his fault. Did they see how many odd many rushes we gave up last night. Terrible. Fairweather fickle fans to say the least.

Boo the anthem...who gives a crap, obviously the people that go to the games don't care as they continue to do it. Like they said in Coaches Corner...why do we still play the anthems before games again?

This season started off with such promise to only come crashing down at the half way point to the end of the season. That is the most frustrating part of this season, and if you think those guys in the dressing room aren't more troubled by it than the fans are...well I highly doubt it.

Face it, we lost to a better team. Bruins are for real, and could go far in this years playoffs that is for sure.
Of course we lost to a better team as expected and even with a full line up we would have probably lost but I don't think fans were bitter because of that in particular, it was just the icing on the cake. The second half of the season set that up. They stunk up the joint, and off ice rumors didn't help, everybody was talking about that as a cause. Last here, despite a sh*tty showing against Philadelphia the fans gave them a standing ovation because they appreciated the season. If the habs showed half the character they showed last year during the tough time they had this year, you can be sure the players wouldn't have endured what they endured last night.

I agree on the national anthem booing, not because it offends me, personally I couldn't care less, but because americans take that to heart and I respect that. But make no mistake, anthems were booed in other arena and it wasn't as a big deal as it is here. Face it, habs are as hated as they're loved, and their fans are hated period. So everything they do is blown out of proportion. I read the posts here at hfboards and people can't help to dance on our grave. I hope that'll pump up our troops for next season, but I don't hold my breath.