HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

If anyone blames Price for tonight

Old
04-22-2009, 10:15 PM
Alcoolique*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
I don't like the fans jeering Price. But its not all because of tonight. Its just the build up of emotions from his choke in last years playoffs (when the habs were clearly the better team) and how bad he has been since January. I don't think they should be doing that to this already fragile kid though.
I was at the game, and I'd say it was funny. In a certain way. Since those fans who "cheered" for Price's usual save were pretty much fed up. Its way too easy to blame Price than the whole team. That's the easier way for a casual fan.. I was in the molson-ex section, I'd say everyone there were cheering for the Price save.

I was like... What the **** ? Really, ? I mean 2 out of the four goals it wasn't entirely on Price's fault.. I mean for god's sake, Markov, Schneider,Tanguay, weren't there, and yet, the fans expect the Habs to come out and win. So, as they see that they're losing, its way too much easy to put the blame on Price.

**** that.

Alcoolique* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 10:20 PM
suprez

I'm tired to find excuse.Boston are better.
They had a bad season(with the expectation) . They lost 8th in a row.
Well .. It's going to take more than playing bowling . .We need better player..

suprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 10:23 PM
AcadiaAxeMan

Send a message via MSN to AcadiaAxeMan Send a message via Yahoo to AcadiaAxeMan
don't like him - fine - watch the Jackets - they have a young "stud" for now in net!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post
Not his fault today....bad Defense this time....but let's face it, the fans have every right to boo him for his play last half and in the playoffs...he's an idiot for making that stupid gesture....really beginning to not like this guy.
.....sure they do, they pay the $$$ - they get to boo the hell out of him but have to realize that every time they do it to him, at this stage of his career, they are losing more $$$ and potential as he regresses as an NHL-er - blame Gainey if you want - it is crazy to put a franchise with so much history on the shoulders of a 20-21 yr old goaltender - OUR COLLECTIVE TEAM SUCKED - that is not CAREY's BURDEN!! It's the organizations!

AcadiaAxeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 10:33 PM
Nedved

i dont get all this price love. watch the games with sens and bruins fans tonight,

bruins fan: price is brutal, i still cant believe he started game 3

sens fan: its like watching gerber, every shot looks like its going in.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 10:37 PM
Le Gros Bill

Price will be fine, but needs plenty of good support to develop. He needs a head coach who can keep him in line and disciplined, a goalie coach with a fresh perspective and a backup goaltender with veteran experience (I'm thinking Olaf Kolzig, who mentored him in Tri-City during the lockout year).

He's 21 and needs the right environment and support to develop - especially in Montreal.

Le Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 10:44 PM
Nedved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermamoud View Post
The Rangers played a much more solid defensive game, forcing the players to shoot from the periphery, and managed to single out Ovechkin. Not to mention that Green has been a complete non-factor in this series.
seriously? washington should be winning this series.

lundqvist is the only reason why they are.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 10:48 PM
HellasLEAF
I want Capt'n Crunch

seams like every game Price let's in 3,4,5 goals and he is never at fault.

it's a combination of the defence and Price. players have figured him out. he gets beaten high because he lives on his pads.

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 07:05 AM
Rickkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
Price deserves his share of the blame. The Price-bashers are trying to put it ALL on him. That is a stupid, unfounded opinion, and... well, what kind of people have stupid, unfounded opinions and keep harping on them over and over?
I will admit up front, that I do not read each and every post...but in my view, criticizing Price's play, and I do, does not equal believing that it is "all on him". For all intent and purpose, Montreal was outplayed in pretty well every position by a team that was quite simply that much better, coach included.

Rickkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 07:19 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

As funny as it may sounds, the real softies in this series was given by Thomas. I mean the real ones. What Price is not doing is despite a few highlight reel saves, he's not stealing a game by himself. He did give his regular softie, not yesterday though, but he's not saving the team either. We will never know, but would he had be giving us the performances that Halak gave us in the West? 'Cause to me those were game-saving performances back to back.

But then like I repeated, it's mostly about Gainey and way less about Price. They thought he was ready technically, he is not. We keep hearing how he's incredible great with the puck, well they've mixed up the fact that he's a good stickhandler and that he takes the right decisions, 'cause most of the time, he doesn't take the right decision. Then we were told how great and tough he was mentally which was proven he wasn't. And he doesn't have the work ethic that you would have expected from a young kid (this is coming from Dany Dubé, who saw Price practice day after day).

Price does have to take his responsabilities 'cause he has plenty of them. But Gainey played a big role in this as well.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 07:35 AM
CanadienErrant*

Management and fans are burning the kid... And he is not helping himself !

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 07:46 AM
smiler2729

Basic Canadiens 2008-09 - mentally fragile, don't play as a team, horrible WITHOUT the puck and prone to running around in their own end in a panic often leaving their goalie out to dry.

They didn't listen to their coach or their GM and will now have to face an off-season where they very well may find themselves traded or not re-signed.

Worth keeping: Kovalev, Tanguay, Koivu, Komisarek, Price, Schneider.
Worth NOT keeping: Plekanec, Brisebois, Kostopoulos.

smiler2729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 07:51 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanwuc View Post
i dont get all this price love. watch the games with sens and bruins fans tonight,

Well, that was your first mistake.

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 08:00 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Then they're clearly not watching the same game as I am.

Price couldn't really stop any of those shots. I know he'll get trashed, though. Ridiculous.

Thanks for the season, guys.

Personally....I can only blame Price for about 7 or 8 goals in the whole series....the rest of them were nice goals on nice plays or great shots, deflections or bad bounces that ended up in the net.
The biggest problem I had with Price is that he didn't bail his team out when they made mistakes or gave the puck away. He made a couple of big saves, but most of the time there was a turnover in our end, the puck ended up in the net.
When you look at every other goalie in the playoffs, they all made huge saves when the team needed a huge save to keep them in the game. I just felt that Price could have made more big saves than he did.

Oh well....chalk it up to experience for Price. If it doesn't kill him, it will only make him better and stronger.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 08:03 AM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Personally....I can only blame Price for about 7 or 8 goals in the whole series....the rest of them were nice goals on nice plays or great shots, deflections or bad bounces that ended up in the net.
The biggest problem I had with Price is that he didn't bail his team out when they made mistakes or gave the puck away. He made a couple of big saves, but most of the time there was a turnover in our end, the puck ended up in the net.
When you look at every other goalie in the playoffs, they all made huge saves when the team needed a huge save to keep them in the game. I just felt that Price could have made more big saves than he did.

Oh well....chalk it up to experience for Price. If it doesn't kill him, it will only make him better and stronger.
Only 7 or 8 goals? I didn't just read that did I...yup I did.

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 08:14 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanwuc View Post

I'm a die-hard Habs fan and I don't get all the love for Price either. In some peoples eyes he can do no wrong. Well I have seen him do a lot wrong and I'm sick of watching him sulk and act like a little baby.

Jaroslav Halak was the better goalie down the stretch and he should have played in the playoffs. Price struggled since the Allstar break and let in a lot of weak goals til the end of the season. If Price is as good as everybody thinks, then why does he let in so many rotten goals and struggle so much??? I expect him to live up to the hype and be as good of a goalie as everybody THINKS he is.

Old
04-23-2009, 08:17 AM
Travis Moen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
He clearly was to blame for the bruins' 4th goal in both game 1 and 3. What was he thinking living the net empty like that?

Travis Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 08:17 AM
BadHabit

I didn't have any problems with Price last night, and people know I've been critical of his ill timed softies in this series. It sure would've been nice to stop one of those breakaways or shots in close, but we can't expect that for sure.

He still deserves some of the blame for earlier losses, but last night I can't really fault him on any of the goals. The Bruins just completely dissected our defense and it would've been hard for any goalie to stop those shots. Here's to seeing him back next year in better form, and with a better team in front of him.

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 08:24 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Anyone want to take a look over the Columbus board and see how many of them are blaming Mason for losing their series?

No, they're not? They realize they have a young goaltender with immense talent for years to come.

Spoiled brats in Montreal, that's all it is. Young goaltenders are going to struggle in the play-offs especially fi they are behind a team as unorganized, injured and soft mentally as ours is. Luongo didn't see a lick of play-off action at this age. So maybe some people should take a ****ing chill pill.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 08:32 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
Its ok, its Puckhead. You'll get used to him over time.

I'm not sure what you mean here Frank....since I don't share your lame opinion, that means I'm wrong???
Get over yourself dude....not everything you say is right or even close to being right. People are allowed to express their opinion and just because your too narrow minded to see things in a different light, doesn't mean they are wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post

If you think a goaltender can let in 15 goals in 4 games and none of them are his fault....you obviously know nothing about hockey.
The goals Price let in on shots where his angle was off and he missed the puck....those are his fault. The goals where the puck was deflected or put in after a nice 3-way passing play.....those are the goals he has little to no chance on....but he has to save the goals that he lets in on shots from the slot.

If he wasn't so quick to drop to his knees, he might have stopped more of those shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Anyone want to take a look over the Columbus board and see how many of them are blaming Mason for losing their series?

No, they're not? They realize they have a young goaltender with immense talent for years to come.

Spoiled brats in Montreal, that's all it is. Young goaltenders are going to struggle in the play-offs especially fi they are behind a team as unorganized, injured and soft mentally as ours is. Luongo didn't see a lick of play-off action at this age. So maybe some people should take a ****ing chill pill.

You can't even compare the 2 goalies!!! Luongo didn't see a lick of playoff action at Price's age because Luongo played on teams like the Islanders and the Panthers.....not because he wasn't a good enough goalie, but because the teams he played for sucked!!!

If Luongo was on playoff contending teams at Price's age....he would have doen great because he is a good, big goalie who competes on every play directed at his net. He reacts to the play or the shot and doesn't just cheat like Price and drop to his knees. Thats part of the reason we lost to the Bruins.....because they kneww that Price is just going to do a butterfly on every shot so they just need to lift the puck or make a deke and the puck is in.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 04-23-2009 at 10:33 AM.
Old
04-23-2009, 08:42 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean here Frank....since I don't share your lame opinion, that means I'm wrong???
Get over yourself dude....not everything you say is right or even close to being right. People are allowed to express their opinion and just because your too narrow minded to see things in a different light, doesn't mean they are wrong.
You can take what you want out of my post....whether you think i'm narrow minded or not. You're right, people are allowed to express their opinions, that's what these boards are for. Normally i don't reply because I think you can find truth in a little bit of everything regardless if you agree with the person or not, but I just think you're extremist a bit on this subject...but hey, that's just my 2 cents and you have the right to ignore it.

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 08:47 AM
smiler2729

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

I am embarrassed by a lot of so-called Hab fans especially after last night's childish B.S. at the arena on National TV and on these cyberpages. Some of you baby-brains are going to run these players out of town where they will shine on another team and then you'll whine about letting them go. GROW THE **** UP!

smiler2729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 08:50 AM
Jean Beliveau

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
seams like every game Price let's in 3,4,5 goals and he is never at fault.

it's a combination of the defence and Price. players have figured him out. he gets beaten high because he lives on his pads.
Amen. At some point he has to be held accountable.

He is always on his knees. I think he needs a job change.

Jean Beliveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 08:54 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
You can take what you want out of my post....whether you think i'm narrow minded or not. You're right, people are allowed to express their opinions, that's what these boards are for. Normally i don't reply because I think you can find truth in a little bit of everything regardless if you agree with the person or not, but I just think you're extremist a bit on this subject...but hey, that's just my 2 cents and you have the right to ignore it.

I am very passionate about this topic for 2 reasons. 1) I'm a goaltender so I watch goalies very closely and evaluate them on how they play the position and 2) because of all the hype about how Price was the second coming of Roy and Dryden, I expected more from him. Its as simple as that.

I'm not blind or stupid....I can see that Price has a TON of potential and he will most likely be a great goalie in the NHL if we don't ruin him first. He is a big kid, he covers a lot of the net and he has great reflexes too. I just have a problem with them rushing Price before he was ready and for not giving Halak a chance when it was his time to shine. Halak wasn't the best goalie in the AHL for 3 straight years for nothing.

The bottom line is this....Price was rushed into the NHL too quickly. After seeing how he played for the last 2 seasons, its very apparent that he is not ready for the NHL....if he was, he would have shown it this year especially. Last year I can cut him some slack because he was a rookie.....but this year, he should have been much better than he was last year....and he most certainly wasn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Beliveau View Post
Amen. At some point he has to be held accountable.

He is always on his knees. I think he needs a job change.

Thats right!!! At some point when you let in weak goals, you have to be held accountable....no matter if you are 21 years old or not.

If he would stay on his feet more and react to the shot instead of dropping to his knees everytime, he would be a much better goalie. I think a lot of it has to do with Rollie Melanson. I don't think he is teaching his goalies the right way to play net. I believe in covering as much net as you can, but that doesn't mean you have to do a butterfly on every shot. Look at Brodeur....he hardly ever does a butterfly and he is one of the best goalie in the league. Brodeur is in a set position until the puck is shot and then he reacts accordinly to make the save. Price goes down on his knees before the puck is even shot and it results in him getting beat up high a lot.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 04-23-2009 at 10:33 AM.
Old
04-23-2009, 10:45 AM
Rickkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
That is a stupid, unfounded opinion, and... well, what kind of people have stupid, unfounded opinions and keep harping on them over and over?
I think this is just about the only public forum, where the moderators are allowed to launch personal attacks against members that they do not agree with.

Rickkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 11:43 AM
THE HOFF

Carey price is young and very talented. On top of that, he has great size.

I think we can all agree that mentaly he is not ready to be a #1 and take pressure on his shoulders. For a goalie , its hard to show intensity , to show that you care even when you are not making the saves.

Why was he brought up so quickly in the squad and why has he been presented as a franchise goalie if he wasn't ready? its the organization's responsability. If you don't manage talent in an adequate way, you're going to waste it.

I would also like to point out that THERE IS a problem off the ice over here in Montreal. I am not going to call all of you guys liars ... as many reported stories of guys being wasted prior to game day. Its the players' private lives ... but on the other hand by getting in bars here in Montreal ... they know they are exposing themselves ... the players are at fault, not the common supporter who shares a weird story and gets flammed on.

The organization did a poor job to build a structure for the young players outside the ice. We lacked leadership off the ice ... there wasn't that 25-30 y.o. guy that took responsability and leadership outside the ice. The organization HAD to be more involved with the players. The old fashion way of getting settled is the best way sadly ... and latendresse proved it this year by getting married , having a child .... he had to reach another level of conciousness ... and its that very element that others are lacking.

Back on carey. I've always prefered Halak, I'm not going to lie. Why ? every single game that he needed to step up he did. Can he be our #1 ? I don't know ... we have yet to try. He got called off at 22 years of age by every ''experts'' and former players ... the same experts that use carey's eternal ''ONLY 21 YEARS OLD'' argument to justify his poor performances. He does lets in soft goals every game that counts. Just like huet the season halak brought us at the doorsteps of the playoffs. Halak is the only goalie that never let us down as habs fan. He won impossible games ... sharks anyone? If we recall how it happened... Carbo was about to play Halak for the rest of the season. That game in dallas ... Halak had a cold. When Gainey put Price back in nets on a permanet basis, we started loosing again. its just facts , I'm not saying its price's fault ... but on the other hand were we a better team when Halak was in nets for that 4 games winning streak ?

What Carey does always amazes me. How do you allow yourself to put up 30 pounds during a rookie season in the NHL ? there is no word for that , any attempt to excuse it is just pathetic in my opinion. He told us last year that he struggled mentaly. But this year, on many occasion ...he sais he was good at ''bouncing back'' and that he felt great. was it a lie ?

One thing is for sure , what he did yesterday shows a lot of things. The kid is troubbled ... he won't step in that #1 role before a couple of years ... if he ever does. It was a lack of respect for every montreal canadians fan, as well as a lack of respect for Bob Gainey who kept playing him despite his poor performances, and also a lack of respect for Patrick Roy. I am really questionning myself on Carey's ability to think and reason ... as what happened came out of nowhere. A ridiculous act of selfishness.

I know somehow some HF board members are going to get blammed for what carey did .... somehow ... .... but he's the one to blame for having that kind of preocupations when the game is still 4-1 playoff game and not 11-1 during a reg. season game.

IMO ....

don't want to see him in a habs jersey ever again . In my opinion, its best to part ways with him. trade with tampa , get vinny ... at least you know what you're going to get ... Carey doesn't have emotionnal stability , and probably never will.

my last post before the draft. take good care of yourselves.

Last edited by THE HOFF: 04-23-2009 at 11:50 AM.
THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote