HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

This season was a fluke.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-23-2009, 11:36 AM
  #26
imnothere
Registered User
 
imnothere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Brad Park View Post
U my friend sound like a bitter person.One who thinks cause u owned Bruins for so long its your right to win every year.Bruins had 116 points this year and went wire to wire,There are alot of great habs fans but u are not one of them.Go to Bruins board and see all the great habs fans who not only said good series, congrats,but also wished Bruins luck to go all the way.Get over it,
How about you go back to your board ?

imnothere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 12:12 PM
  #27
panorama01*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Libya
Posts: 1,832
vCash: 500
1992 ended the same way but I did not see this kind of overreaction!

panorama01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 12:33 PM
  #28
compile
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,676
vCash: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealHabitant View Post
Hamrlik is under-appreciated, he had 33 pts this year and finished +4.
I disagree.

He's actually over-appreciated. He's a big dman that does not use his body at all. Instead of knocking guys down he's attempts to play the puck constantly and create turn overs at a the wrong time (ie: Ryder's goal last night).

He's one of the guys I'd try to get rid of.

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 12:38 PM
  #29
Prendan Brust
Registered User
 
Prendan Brust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,443
vCash: 500
Assuming this team doesn't get dismantled, only next season will tell us if this year was a fluke or last year was a fluke. Remember, every hockey expert was putting us out of the playoffs last year, maybe they were right after all and the star just aligned for us.

Prendan Brust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 12:53 PM
  #30
troutman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 54
vCash: 500
No, last season was the fluke.

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 01:20 PM
  #31
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 13,779
vCash: 500
This season wasn't a fluke. It resembled a lot of of other seasons in this decade in which the Habs were scrambling for a playoff spot. Remember, except for 2007-08, the Habs finished no higher than 7th whenever they managed to make the playoffs. The only difference this year was that the Habs faced a much better balanced Bruins team than they did in 2002, 2004, or 2008. If this season were a fluke, it would follow that the Habs should finish several notches higher in 2009-10. I don't see how anyone who watched the Habs carefully this past season could reasonably say that. This team has to be retooled, maybe even partly dismantled. I'm not saying that everyone should go, but the Habs need an infusion of a few (2 or 3) experienced players who are brought in because they are truly better than average, not merely because they fit comfortably under the cap ceiling.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 01:25 PM
  #32
Kirk Muller
Registered User
 
Kirk Muller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brrr -18, Gomez Cold
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony View Post
Assuming this team doesn't get dismantled, only next season will tell us if this year was a fluke or last year was a fluke. Remember, every hockey expert was putting us out of the playoffs last year, maybe they were right after all and the star just aligned for us.
dismantling the team isn't really in Gainey's control. There is good chance many will just walk away from this organization and not deal with the BS of playing in Montreal.

It probably isn't a bad thing though as a changing of the guard is definitely needed. Time to change the identity of the team.

Kirk Muller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 01:31 PM
  #33
Prendan Brust
Registered User
 
Prendan Brust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
dismantling the team isn't really in Gainey's control. There is good chance many will just walk away from this organization and not deal with the BS of playing in Montreal.

It probably isn't a bad thing though as a changing of the guard is definitely needed. Time to change the identity of the team.
You know what I hate with this statement? It is basically an easy way out for the players. "We can't win because of the media and the crazy fans." Wow!

It basically means Montreal can't handle a winning team, or simply can't expect a winning team because they can't handle a developping team. The habs have a horde of fans and coverage and it's killing them apparently... It seems like a problem with no solution...

Prendan Brust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 01:40 PM
  #34
NewGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yohan1212 View Post
I think you are on to something.. Last year that "sexy" lineup was intact and the fact of the matter is if Boston has bergeron and Kobasew they win first round
That's such an irrelevant argument. Anyone can throw around if this and if that, but it doesn't matter. You win or lose with the players that you have in the lineup.

NewGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 01:55 PM
  #35
baldrick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
This season wasn't a fluke. It resembled a lot of of other seasons in this decade in which the Habs were scrambling for a playoff spot. Remember, except for 2007-08, the Habs finished no higher than 7th whenever they managed to make the playoffs. The only difference this year was that the Habs faced a much better balanced Bruins team than they did in 2002, 2004, or 2008. If this season were a fluke, it would follow that the Habs should finish several notches higher in 2009-10. I don't see how anyone who watched the Habs carefully this past season could reasonably say that. This team has to be retooled, maybe even partly dismantled. I'm not saying that everyone should go, but the Habs need an infusion of a few (2 or 3) experienced players who are brought in because they are truly better than average, not merely because they fit comfortably under the cap ceiling.
Agree to all, but Gainey has shown he's not willing to pay the price for better than average players, at least none with grit.

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 01:56 PM
  #36
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
There is no luck, the mentality of this team has to change, even with everyone healthy, the Bruins wouldnt have took long to take that serie, they were too quick, too strong, too much organized for us, we have been looking like a bunch of lost sheets for the most part of the season and the injuries arent an excuse for the way we played some nights.. What was at time AHL caliber performance and Im not kidding..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 02:17 PM
  #37
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
The Canadiens are extremely skilled from what I have seen. I do not just watch bruins games. Even though I get all of my Bruins games via local TV I still buy the NHL Center Ice package because I LOVE hockey.

I watched many Canadiens games this year to see what the competition had etc.

All I saw wrong was the lack of size of the players for today's NHL. Montreal Canadiens need size I believe to compete with bigger teams. I thought it was a big reason after being up 3 games to one over us last year that the series went to a game 7. We wore you guys down and it ended up looking like you survived the series instead of winning it. We ran out of gas for game 7 so playing that way takes a toll of course but we lacked a lot of skill that we have for this year. You guys were better than us skill wise last year but not physicality wise.

Just saying, I'm no expert or anything. All the newer younger players are 6ft 4 inches and 230 lbs.

Kovalev seemed to be the only Canadien difficult to knock off his pegs. I think you guys need more grit and sandpaper. You certainly have enough skill level no doubt about that.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 02:47 PM
  #38
Slippy13
Registered User
 
Slippy13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
I'm going to correct you here......LAST season was a fluke....this season was about par for the course.

We played over our heads last season. We done better than we should have because everybody played better than expected. This season was the real Habs. We had guys quitting on the team, nobody was able to score, everybody was injured and nobody played better then they should have.
I won't argue that last season wasn't a "fluke" because it could have been. But to honestly say that this season was "par for the course" is asinine. Par for the course is not losing your best player for the playoffs. Par for the course is not 30 controversies destroying the mentality of the team. Par for the course is not every single sophomore underachieving. Par for the course is not having a retarded coach with no system or coaching skill. All of these things do happen sometimes, but they are certainly NOT normal. Unfortunately for the 2008-2009 Canadiens, they all happened at the same time.

Slippy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 02:56 PM
  #39
DaHabMan
Registered User
 
DaHabMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lasalle
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,200
vCash: 500
all young players regressed at the same time, injuries, 11 ufas....i think yes

DaHabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 02:59 PM
  #40
Prendan Brust
Registered User
 
Prendan Brust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHabMan View Post
all young players regressed at the same time, injuries, 11 ufas....i think yes
I'd like to know how come they all regressed personnally. And "it happens" won't do it because it never happens, not all youngsters in a single year. And I'd like to know Gainey's reasonning for having 11 UFA's on his team. Incentives to perform? How could he be dumb enough to believe that when other teams are willing to throw millions at underperforming players with potential. This season was a major failure on so many levels.

Prendan Brust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 05:25 PM
  #41
MontrealHabitant
Registered User
 
MontrealHabitant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,801
vCash: 500
Some of the posters here are confused, we missed pretty much all of our players during the season, had to deal with all the stupid bs surrounding the team.

On top of that, you know Chemistry ? You need some of that, kinda hard to have any of that if everyone is always injured, can't get used to the guys playing with you, funny how Latendresse-Lapierre-Kostopoulos was our most steady line and happened to be the biggest surprise this year, surely playing together for most of the season had something to do with it.

2007-2008 was no fluke, that was REAL. Now this season was a huge fluke, we never came close to ice the real line up and its what pissed me off the most.

Reality is we had no business to be in the playoff with the injuried line up and everything that happened, but we still made it, and it tells you how deep this team is.


Quote:
agree with the original post - this season was really more a set of bad circumstances than a bad team.
We got a winner.


Quote:
I also dont understand the original poster of they made boston look "silly" at times in the playoffs.
I'd feel bad if i knew my team got outplayed a full period ( more then once actually) against a team lacking all its key players.

During the 2007-2008 season, we were missing Koivu, you were missing Bergeron, when Koivu came back, it completely destroyed CJ match plan to have Chara cover Kovalev, because Chara couldn't watch both Kovalev and Koivu, and its where things went down hill for the Bruins, they were dead in game 6 but Price had a bad game, so it went to game 7, and we all saw what happened.

Don't get me wrong, Injuries happens, just not to the point where you lose your 1st and 2nd Dman, your starting goalie, your leading scorer and so on.

I don't remember the last team to have this amount of injuries and making it in the playoff, Dallas couldn't do it this year, then again while they didn't have anywhere near the same amount of injuries that we did, theirs we're lasting a lot longer.

This season was a fluke and im looking forward for next season, it is gonna be an interesting summer, the key components of this team are all already with Contracts, time to add some pieces and get ready for another season.

Bruins this year looked a lot like the Canadiens of 2007-2008, 3 scoring lines, young players having good breakthrough seasons, star d-man, star goalie, not that much experience. It would be a lie to say the Bruins didn't have a good line up, but saying we wouldn't even compete is just plain dumb.

Without the Injuries, pretty much sure we finish either 1st or 4th ( still 2nd in terms of pts) this season, however the hockey gods didn't agree with this.

Injuries Happens, Bad luck happens, you can't do anything about it.

MontrealHabitant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 06:12 PM
  #42
DaHabMan
Registered User
 
DaHabMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lasalle
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony View Post
I'd like to know how come they all regressed personnally. And "it happens" won't do it because it never happens, not all youngsters in a single year. And I'd like to know Gainey's reasonning for having 11 UFA's on his team. Incentives to perform? How could he be dumb enough to believe that when other teams are willing to throw millions at underperforming players with potential. This season was a major failure on so many levels.
oops sorry think i used the wrong wording here, our young players all had bad years at the same time was pretty much what i wasmeaning...guess you cant read what i think...my bad.....as for the reasoning behind the 11 ufas, im with you, you can have 1 or 2 but 11 is just not good. We should have at least signed a couple during the year and i hope gainey works on this in the next few years. His ufa policy is flawed. As for the youngsters, well, there is no clear explanation, there are a variety of reasons why it happened and the reasons might be different for each player. But one thing for sure is that you dont blow up and trade all your young players because of one bad year. It does happen and as proof, you can look at other young players around the league. Some adapt better some dont. You just cant foresee that.

DaHabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 06:35 PM
  #43
nnynetpotato
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post

All I saw wrong was the lack of size of the players for today's NHL. Montreal Canadiens need size I believe to compete with bigger teams.


Kovalev seemed to be the only Canadien difficult to knock off his pegs. I think you guys need more grit and sandpaper. You certainly have enough skill level no doubt about that.
Size,grit,toughness...this team was found out last playoffs by the Bruins in this respect and it hasn't recovered in some ways since.

The Laraque singing was meant to add this key ingredient,but sadly,BGL was just too injured to make a significant impact.

nnynetpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 07:38 PM
  #44
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,057
vCash: 500
Last season was a fluke.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 08:17 PM
  #45
CanadienErrant*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Cook Islands
Posts: 4,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Last season was a fluke.
Right.

We got a .500 team. No better.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 05:42 AM
  #46
dcyhabs
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 652
vCash: 500
not the "out" injuries that hurt

OK, losing Lang hurt big time, and losing Markov for the playoffs stunk. The team was never the same after Price and Komisarek were hurt because they were never the same. Price hardly had a respectable start after returning from his injury too early. Komisarek looked more like O'Byrne at the beginning of the season than like the way he was at the beginning of this year after he got hurt.

Most players who were crap this year will have reasonable seasons next year with the habs or elsewhere.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 06:07 AM
  #47
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,721
vCash: 500
Last season was just as a fluke as this one was. Tons of injuries this year, lack of injuries last year. But despite all of this, we just ended up with 10 points out of 8th place last year.

People have that great tendancy to focus on the rank instead of the points. Reason why all this year, we keep hearing that we should shut up and stop complaining about the team 'cause we were 4th.....5th.....6th....7th.....If people would have focused on points, they would have realized that the ranks didn't mean anything and that the gap was close enough that we could have missed the series.

I mean if last year we play for .500 against Boston, we are not first and can miss the playoffs. The difference is that the same cannot be said for Boston this year. Even if they play for .500 against us, the 8th place, they are still 1st in the conference.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.