HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Rebuild Plan

Old
04-22-2009, 03:57 PM
mastodon

vCash: 500
Disclaimer: This is not what I think will happen it is what I would try to do. Also, I know all the players I signed might not accept the offers (I’m sure everyone will say the offers are too low) and I have no clue if the Lightning and Canucks would accept those trades (I’m sure everyone will say I didn’t offer enough). This is just what I would try to do. I am attempting to make the team a bigger, stronger, grittier team that is hard to play against. All the lines have good size. The top two lines would be counted on for offence. The 3rd line can be physical, good defensively, and put some goals on the board. The 4th line is gritty. I listed other UFA’s and RFA’s that are of interest to me if I couldn’t sign the players I said I did or if we had to involve more players in trades (ie. Higgins). Also, who knows what the cap will do so maybe none of this will work anyways, ha. Oh yeah, one of the most important things is I added is another right-handed shot. When we lost Lang that lack of a right-handed shot on the PP hurt us bad. Bernier and Lang are right-handed shots and can play on the PP. Weber is the right-handed point shot.

Tanguay (5.25)...........Lecavalier (7.73)....Bernier (2.625)
Pacioretty (0.875).......Lang (2.5).............Kovalev (4.0)
Higgins (2.0)...............Lapierre (0.688).....Latendresse (1.333)
Stewart (0.650)..........Metropolit (1.0)......Laraque (1.5)

FORWARDS = $30.151 million

Markov (5.75)............Komisarek (4.5)
Bouwmeester (5.57)...O’Byrne (0.942)
O’Brien (1.5)..............Weber (0.875)

DEFENCE = $19.137 million

Price (2.2)
Halak (0.775)

GOALIES = $2.975 million

TOTAL = $52.263 million

Unrestricted Free Agent Signings
Bouwmeester – 7 years at 7.0, 6.0, 6.0, 5.0, 5.0, 5.0, 5.0 = $39 million at $5.57 million/year
Tanguay – 4 years at 5.5, 5.5, 5.0, 5.0 = $21 million at $5.25 million/year
Komisarek – 4 years at 4.5, 4.5, 4.5, 4.5 = $18 million at $4.5 million/year
Kovalev – 2 years at $4.0 = $9.0 million at $4.0 million/year
Lang – 1 year at 2.5 = $2.5 million at $2.5 million/year

Restricted Free Agent Signings
Bernier – 3 years at 2.625, 2.625, 2.625 = $7.875 million at $2.625 million/year
Latendresse – 3 years at 1.0, 1.5, 1.5 = $4.0 million at $1.333 million/year
Higgins – 2 years at 2.0, 2.0 = $4.0 million at $2.0 million/year
O’Brien – 2 years at 1.5, 1.5 = $3 million at $1.5 million/year
Stewart – 2 years at 0.650, 0.650 = $1.3 million at $0.650 million/year

Did not re-sign
Koivu, Kostopolous, Dandenault, Bouillon, Brisebois

Other UFA’s of interest
Travis Moen, Martin Havlat, Marian Hossa, Marian Gaborik, Ian Laperriere, Kurtis Foster, Francois Beauchemin, Olaf Kolzig, Brian Boucher, Saku Koivu, Mathieu Dandenault, Tom Kostopolous, Francis Bouillon, Chris Neil, Nick Boynton, Mathieu Schneider, Stephane Yelle, Dwayne Roloson

Other RFA’s of interest
Ryan Clowe, Phil Kessel, Kris Versteeg, Drew Stafford, Cam Barker, Ben Eager, Dave Bolland, Jack Johnson, Brandon Dubinsky, Ryan Callahan, Kyle Brodziak, Matt D’Agostini

Trades

Lightning
Lecavalier – Plekanec, A.Kostitsyn, S.Kostitsyn, Gorges, picks, Lightning draft Hedman with 2nd overall pick

Canucks
Bernier, O’Brien – Chipchura, Hamrlik (who knows if they want Hamrlik but they are losing Ohlund)

Other Stuff

I had tried to make a contract for Gaborik in place of Kovalev but I couldn’t make one that I thought he would accept and fit it under the cap. Also, if we couldn’t sign Komisarek for a reasonable price I would probably go after Nick Boynton or another defenseman like that.

I tried to make a trade for Jordan Staal, so the second line would have been Pacioretty Staal Gaborik but I couldn’t find anything that would be enough to get it done.

I re-signed Lang instead of Koivu because with the addition of Lecavalier he would be the leader. Lang replaces Koivu as 2nd line center because Lang is a very smart player who uses his size effectively.

I re-signed Kovalev because I think he plays good when everyone else is trying. If no one else is putting in the effort he stops trying too.

Also, do whatever you can to get Alexei Yemelin the hell over to North America. And do not draft Euro’s in the earlier rounds, it is a waste of a pick because you do not know if the player will ever come to North America no matter what they say unless you are drafting top 5 overall. Draft North Americans who dreamed of playing for the Stanley Cup and not a gold medal at the Olympics. Go for a steal in the 5th, 6th, or 7th round with some random Euro picks if they want ala Markov, Datsyuk, Halak, etc.

mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 04:16 PM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Someone needs to say it and get the discussion moving so being one the most hated I figured i'd take the lead.

Thats right you guessed it, REBUILD. I am not talking a full blown raze the earth welcome to Toronto rebuild here. I am talking methodical removal of certain players and keeping ones that either deserve to stay or still give us hope.

After watching the game tonight I can honestly say I have never been so ashamed to be a habs fan. This effort put forth was not NHL quality, I was questioning why the habs ever thought they deserved to be in the playoffs in the first place. I don't see this team magically turning it around next season, once a weak team always a weak team.

- We need to retain veterans but not all of them, almost all of them are going to be UFA soon so that gives us a great opportunity to cherry pick the strongest who can lead. Lang, Koivu and Kostopoulous are the main ones i'd like to see get contracts. The rest are really hit or miss and don't care.

- Plekanec, Obyrne, Hamrlik should be packaged and moved. The team is too soft as it is and these 3 are probably the biggest culprits that are still signed.

- Which brings me to Komisarek, I would offer a contract but 3.5million would be around the most. This guy cant be a top 2 dman and relied upon, until that changes he should not get a large contract.

- Kostitsyn brothers, this is so difficult because we had so much hope for these two. If Kovalev goes then Akost should stay but if Kovalev is signed to a short term contract Akost should be moved for an offensive prospect. As for Sergei I am willing to go another season with him, if his attitude doesnt change he can go too.

- Laraque should be traded without a doubt, had we known what we were getting this guy would never have been signed.

- Higgins, let the experiment continue, I would like to keep him just because he is doing so well in his checking role that it gives me hope he might actually become the player we always wanted.

I was fooled into thinking this team had a strong core but it has become apparent that core is full of selfish players who are of the opinion that they have somewhere better to be.

Markov, the goalies, this seasons rookies, Latendresse, Gorges and definitly Lapierre can all come back next season. They fill their positions well.

Thats all I can think of right now, I am still in a kinda nervous anger/disappointment mode after the "game".
How we re-load will depend on who we can re-sign. I hope Kovalev, Tom. K re-sign here. Komisarek I am 50/50 on, depends on the dollar amount? Lang be good to come back, if around 1.5-2 million on short term contract.

Halak should be traded for a late #1 pick, and sign a free agent veteran netminder to tudor Price better. I would not mind a Halak to Philly trade for Briere and #1 pick. Pretty well know Gainey will not be able to sign a big name free agent.

If Klassan is not there at 18th, would consider trading down a bit and getting a high second rounder in return. Allows us to get a Kreider and Tatar or Leblanc. Also like Calvin de Haan if he is around late first round. Could be a Mike Green type draft pick. Has tremendous poise,

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 10:18 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Thanks for letting me knw the sky if falling. I'm sure most teams that lose their top scoring forward for a couple months on top of their MVP defensemen on top of almost every young player on the struggling at the same time, would not even phase them.

We had 93 pts this year, with massive injuries and slumps to 90% of our young players. A couple more wins and we would have been 100 point team again but yea we suck, lets panic and blow it all up, maybe we'll get it right next time around.
Psssst! We have 11 players off our current roster scheduled to become UFA's...

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.p...TL&season=0809

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 10:42 PM
WhiskeySeven
Bustchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon View Post
Dude, amazing. Simply amazing. In one fell swoop you reduced this team to 4 euros (Lang, Markov, Halak, Weber) and they're all toughy players.

The only problem is that JBo is going to get more than 5.57 that's for sure. Push that up to 6.5 and maybe we're game.

I would make a really hard run at Havlat, he lives in Montreal and has amazing vision and talent. He's softie though.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 11:13 PM
mastodon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLapierre View Post
Dude, amazing. Simply amazing. In one fell swoop you reduced this team to 4 euros (Lang, Markov, Halak, Weber) and they're all toughy players.

The only problem is that JBo is going to get more than 5.57 that's for sure. Push that up to 6.5 and maybe we're game.

I would make a really hard run at Havlat, he lives in Montreal and has amazing vision and talent. He's softie though.
I was thinking about Havlat as well. I didn't know he lived in Montreal in the offseason. I know he's not a tough player, but I'm watching the Calgary Chicago series and he doesn't shy away from the tough stuff anyways plus he has good size. And as for Bouwmeester, yeah who knows. However, I did give him $7 million for the first year . After watching the team tonight I think I would resign Dandenault as well, his heart is in Montreal. Koivu was the hardest not to re-sign, I've always loved him. I'm sure he will be re-signed in real life.

mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 12:24 AM
ecemleafs

you guys dont have to rebuild considering you have this summer to get it right with all ur UFA and RFA. price will rebound and u still have players that can score. you just need more grit and maybe one superstar which you can sign this summer.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 02:36 AM
MontrealHabitant

we don't need re-building, all we need is re-tooling, this team is way better then it looked like, the team played at like 50 % with all these awful injuries.

MontrealHabitant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 02:43 AM
Habs_Apostle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealHabitant View Post
we don't need re-building, all we need is re-tooling, this team is way better then it looked like, the team played at like 50 % with all these awful injuries.
You gotta wonder if what happened in this series will have long term consequences for this team. I mean, we were so completely owned in every facet of the game - goaltending, defensive coverage, offensive prowess, 5 on 5 play, PK, PP, and coaching. Don't you think that this core of players has some doubts about whether as a group they have what it takes to make a successful team? In this respect, perhaps rebuilding is the way to go...

Habs_Apostle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 03:05 AM
MontrealHabitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs_Apostle View Post
You gotta wonder if what happened in this series will have long term consequences for this team. I mean, we were so completely owned in every facet of the game - goaltending, defensive coverage, offensive prowess, 5 on 5 play, PK, PP, and coaching. Don't you think that this core of players has some doubts about whether as a group they have what it takes to make a successful team? In this respect, perhaps rebuilding is the way to go...

I don't think so, this was simply a bad season, a lot of persons are saying the 2007-2008 season was a mirage, but the reality is that, this season wasn't even a < normal season > for 80 % of our players, Plekanec had 3 season of 50+ pts.. this year he got 39 ?

Injuries and players slumps, along with bad luck drowned this team. Unfortunately we are gonna have to deal with the Drama queens and the terrible idiots from all the different team fan bases on this website that are gonna predict us to finish last or similar stuff like that next season.

Personally i wanted to play the Bruins, with a full line up that is, we had a superior D ( when healthy), Price actually played better then Thomas, our offense wasn't anywhere near the same quality as theirs, but the fact is with a healthy line up we have Lapierre and Latendresse both with 14 and 15 goals playing on the fourth line.

This is how deep we were and still are, people don't realize we made the playoff with an handicapped team and we played in the playoff with an over-handicapped team.

A massive amounts of Ott-Tor fans had a laugh.. but personally i'd feel bad if i were one of them knowing that my team missed the playoff while some handicapped team managed to get there.

We have 1 potential franchise goalie, one more goalie who is likely gonna be a starter some day, a Norris D Man, one of the best gritty line of the league in Latendresse-Lapierre-Kostopoulos and great all around 2 way forwards in Kovalev, Koivu, Higgins, Plekanec etc.

The only thing we are missing ( and have been missing for a VERY LONG TIME) is a star forward, which we will probably not get unless we pull a Pittsburgh.

MontrealHabitant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 02:27 PM
Etienne

KHL slashing the salaries:
http://www.fromtherink.com/2009/4/23...hed-in-redraft

Now is the time to bring Yemelin and Korneev to NA.

Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 02:43 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

how about theses lines

Higgins-Lecavalier -Tanguay
Pacioretty or D'Agostini-Koivu-Kovalev
Latendresse-Lapierre-Kostopoulos
Pacioretty or D'Agostini on the fourth line with some new blood for the 4 other players....

We keep Price and Halak as our goalies.

We get rid of Hamrlik! Don't care about Komi. If there's still money, try to bring in Bouwmeester. Bring in Subban (don't care if he's not 100% "ready", we need some fresh blood and this guy radiates joy and coolness).

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 11:23 PM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
how about theses lines

Higgins-Lecavalier -Tanguay
Pacioretty or D'Agostini-Koivu-Kovalev
Latendresse-Lapierre-Kostopoulos
Pacioretty or D'Agostini on the fourth line with some new blood for the 4 other players....

We keep Price and Halak as our goalies.

We get rid of Hamrlik! Don't care about Komi. If there's still money, try to bring in Bouwmeester. Bring in Subban (don't care if he's not 100% "ready", we need some fresh blood and this guy radiates joy and coolness).
And the D is who?? Get rid of hammer and dont care about Komi? that leaves

Markov - Gorges
Dandy - Obyrne
Subban - Weber

amazing defensive lineup

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 11:25 PM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:
Disclaimer: This is not what I think will happen it is what I would try to do. Also, I know all the players I signed might not accept the offers (I’m sure everyone will say the offers are too low) and I have no clue if the Lightning and Canucks would accept those trades (I’m sure everyone will say I didn’t offer enough). This is just what I would try to do. I am attempting to make the team a bigger, stronger, grittier team that is hard to play against. All the lines have good size. The top two lines would be counted on for offence. The 3rd line can be physical, good defensively, and put some goals on the board. The 4th line is gritty. I listed other UFA’s and RFA’s that are of interest to me if I couldn’t sign the players I said I did or if we had to involve more players in trades (ie. Higgins). Also, who knows what the cap will do so maybe none of this will work anyways, ha. Oh yeah, one of the most important things is I added is another right-handed shot. When we lost Lang that lack of a right-handed shot on the PP hurt us bad. Bernier and Lang are right-handed shots and can play on the PP. Weber is the right-handed point shot.

Price (2.2)
Halak (0.775)

GOALIES = $2.975 million

TOTAL = $52.263 million

Bouwmeester – 7 years at 7.0, 6.0, 6.0, 5.0, 5.0, 5.0, 5.0 = $39 million at $5.57 million/year

Bernier – 3 years at 2.625, 2.625, 2.625 = $7.875 million at $2.625 million/year

Did not re-sign

Other UFA’s of interest
Travis Moen, Martin Havlat, Marian Hossa, Marian Gaborik, Ian Laperriere, Kurtis Foster, Francois Beauchemin, Olaf Kolzig, Brian Boucher, Saku Koivu, Mathieu Dandenault, Tom Kostopolous, Francis Bouillon, Chris Neil, Nick Boynton, Mathieu Schneider, Stephane Yelle, Dwayne Roloson

Other RFA’s of interest
Ryan Clowe, Phil Kessel, Kris Versteeg, Drew Stafford, Cam Barker, Ben Eager, Dave Bolland, Jack Johnson, Brandon Dubinsky, Ryan Callahan, Kyle Brodziak, Matt D’Agostini

Trades

Lightning
Lecavalier – Plekanec, A.Kostitsyn, S.Kostitsyn, Gorges, picks, Lightning draft Hedman with 2nd overall pick

Canucks
Bernier, O’Brien – Chipchura, Hamrlik (who knows if they want Hamrlik but they are losing Ohlund)

Other Stuff

I had tried to make a contract for Gaborik in place of Kovalev but I couldn’t make one that I thought he would accept and fit it under the cap. Also, if we couldn’t sign Komisarek for a reasonable price I would probably go after Nick Boynton or another defenseman like that.

I tried to make a trade for Jordan Staal, so the second line would have been Pacioretty Staal Gaborik but I couldn’t find anything that would be enough to get it done.

I re-signed Lang instead of Koivu because with the addition of Lecavalier he would be the leader. Lang replaces Koivu as 2nd line center because Lang is a very smart player who uses his size effectively.

I re-signed Kovalev because I think he plays good when everyone else is trying. If no one else is putting in the effort he stops trying too.

Also, do whatever you can to get Alexei Yemelin the hell over to North America. And do not draft Euro’s in the earlier rounds, it is a waste of a pick because you do not know if the player will ever come to North America no matter what they say unless you are drafting top 5 overall. Draft North Americans who dreamed of playing for the Stanley Cup and not a gold medal at the Olympics. Go for a steal in the 5th, 6th, or 7th round with some random Euro picks if they want ala Markov, Datsyuk, Halak, etc.
I love this lineup!! Not only does it look amazing, but seems possible! Get this to Gainey or whoever ASAP!!!

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 12:18 AM
compile
Give me Scotch!

vCash: 693
Send a message via Skype™ to compile
JayBo is going to get 6+ a year.
Lecav isn't happening.
Re-sign Koivu to a 2 mill 1-2 year deal,
Trade for Kovalchuk (send them a 1st + Higgins + a prospects),
Sign JayBo (gonna take 6.5+ to get him to a market like Montreal, as he stated he doesn't want to go to big market).
Re-sign Kostopolous, Latendresse.
Call up Paco, Chipchura, Valentenko full time.
Trade for Marleau (Plekanec + Kovalev + 2nd).

I'm talking outta my bum.
I just don't want to see some of the same faces in the lineup.
Kovalev, O'Byrne, Higgins, Hamrlik.

Winning is not the #1 thing. They want to win THEIR way.....even if it means they're handicapping themselves.
compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 12:33 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:

Price (2.2)
Halak (0.775)

GOALIES = $2.975 million

TOTAL = $52.263 million

Did not re-sign

Other UFA’s of interest

Other RFA’s of interest

Trades

Lightning

Canucks

Other Stuff

No offense buddy but even as a Pipe dream I don't see this happening. This is more a fantasy NHL 09 type of team. Sorry but Bouwmeester wont ask for 5.57. Komisarek will ask for more then 4.5. I doubt we will have half the players you have on the team. Vinny would be nice though, but if you have Vinny you loose the rest of the team. As Pierre McGuire said, You have one really great player on an aweful team. The Lecavalier Syndrome.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote