HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Komisarek to LA??!?

Old
04-23-2009, 12:11 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by icyfur View Post
no thanks, sign jack johnson.
This

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 04:48 PM
Chruceg

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFanInRI View Post
KJ picked LA based on its geographical proximity to Boston, i.e. as far from Lucic as possible.
This is the correct answer.

But I'm posting because it drives me nuts when so many people on these boards consider Komisarek a viable option for next year. While Komisarek WOULD be a tremendous upgrade over Gauthier this strategy ignores the quality defensive depth the Kings have in their system. With players like Hickey, Voynov, and Drewiske all banging down the door for a spot in LA it flat out doesn't make sense for the Kings sign somebody to do the same job with less upside at four to five times the cost. This strategy also ignores Dean's philosophy on building from within. Let's think big picture here people not just next year.

To go a little of topic it looks like Dean is trying to bring up one defenseman per year (first Johnson, then Doughty, next Hickey or Voynov, followed by the other or Teubert) so no two defenseman are eligible for contract renewals at the same time.

Chruceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 05:12 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I'd love to have Komisarek on the Kings, you guys are nuts if you don't want him. And don't be shocked if some of our "defensive depth" gets moved in a deal/deals at the draft, hence Komisarek being a great addition.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Chruceg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I'd love to have Komisarek on the Kings, you guys are nuts if you don't want him. And don't be shocked if some of our "defensive depth" gets moved in a deal/deals at the draft, hence Komisarek being a great addition.
I want to preface this by saying that I often agree with what you have to say and by reading your posts I can tell that you care about hockey and are quite knowledgeable about the sport.

That being said I couldn't disagree more with your statement. I realize living in Boston may cloud my judgment but the guy is the antithesis of a tough defenseman. He starts fights with smaller players, takes bad penalties, and consistently fails to stick up for his teammates. I watched all four games of the Bruins-Canadiens series and I was at game one. Komisarek was inept, inadequate, and indecisive with the puck.

As to your point about trading defensive depth ... I don't really see that happening until next offseason when Dean is completely comfortable that entire defense is signed long term. (Please see my post in the Should we resign JJ or KQ thread)

Old
04-23-2009, 06:31 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

I wouldn't mind Lombardi signing Komisarek if the price was right and the term was only 2 or 3 years. Also, no NTC. That is key. Lombardi will need the flexibility to move this guy if a kid like Voinov or Teubert turns out to make rapid progress and deserves a spot sooner rather than later.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 07:12 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

I'd give Boyle & Drewiske for him.

EDIT: nevermind, UFA. Carry on.

Last edited by Stupid Sexy Flanders: 04-23-2009 at 07:18 PM.
Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 08:19 PM
mysteryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
I like Komisarek a lot. I think he would fit very nicely with Murray's defensive system. I would not want to spend more than 3.5m on the guy though, we don't have as much cash to throw around as a lot of people think.
I totally agree....Montreal can make the best players play lousy and demean their ability. if the baggage from Montreal brings a low sale price-I jump on Komisarak. I mean hes an american playing in Montreal-of course the fans are going to hate him.

He cant fight but plays a mean brand of D and still relatively young-I honestly can say he brings more to the table then JJ. We sign Komisarek and use JJ and our pick to bring Kovalchuk and Im all for it.

I mean really, asking Montreal Fans and Media to judge players is like asking PETA to judge Michael Vick.

mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 09:12 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chruceg View Post
That being said I couldn't disagree more with your statement. I realize living in Boston may cloud my judgment but the guy is the antithesis of a tough defenseman. He starts fights with smaller players, takes bad penalties, and consistently fails to stick up for his teammates. I watched all four games of the Bruins-Canadiens series and I was at game one. Komisarek was inept, inadequate, and indecisive with the puck.

As to your point about trading defensive depth ... I don't really see that happening until next offseason when Dean is completely comfortable that entire defense is signed long term. (Please see my post in the Should we resign JJ or KQ thread)
Wait what? Komisarek fights heavyweights on a fairly regular basis. He doesn't fight smaller players. taking bad penalties is a trademark of big defensemen like him. They get too fond of using the stick to make up for their slower skating or getting physical and the refs call them on it. So you'll see a lot of stupid hooking, slashing, roughing calls at inopportune times. This season he fought Lucic and got hurt. Last season he fought Scott Walker, Brendan Witt, Scott Hartnell, Gregory Campbell and Brandon Dubinsky. Not heavy's by far, but in seasons past he's fought Chris Neil, Donald Brashear, Eric Godard, Dale Purinton and Andre Roy. He's a tough mother who's willing to drop with heavyweights. When was the last time the Kings had a defenseman who hit, blocked shots and threw down with heavy's outside of Matt Greene? Saying he sucked during the Bruins series isn't saying much. The entire Canadiens roster sucked.

Old
04-23-2009, 09:21 PM
mysteryman

Quote:
Wait what? Komisarek fights heavyweights on a fairly regular basis. He doesn't fight smaller players. taking bad penalties is a trademark of big defensemen like him. They get too fond of using the stick to make up for their slower skating or getting physical and the refs call them on it. So you'll see a lot of stupid hooking, slashing, roughing calls at inopportune times. This season he fought Lucic and got hurt. Last season he fought Scott Walker, Brendan Witt, Scott Hartnell, Gregory Campbell and Brandon Dubinsky. Not heavy's by far, but in seasons past he's fought Chris Neil, Donald Brashear, Eric Godard, Dale Purinton and Andre Roy. He's a tough mother who's willing to drop with heavyweights. When was the last time the Kings had a defenseman who hit, blocked shots and threw down with heavy's outside of Matt Greene? Saying he sucked during the Bruins series isn't saying much. The entire Canadiens roster sucked.

Couldnt have said it any better....youd have a pretty solid team building around players who run out of montreal. Id just as soon trust a one armed used car salesmen then a montreal beat writer.

mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 09:46 PM
Chruceg

Quote:
(I'm half in the bag right now so if this doesn't come off as lucidly as I hope I apologize)

You're right Komisarek does NOT fight smaller guys. He just routinely gets in their faces and acts like a tough guy until someone bigger comes along. Making cheapshots the whole way.

You're also right about him being a bigger tougher defenseman that is too slow and takes too many penalties because he lazy with his stick. I agree completely.

As far as his previous fights, I stand corrected. He will throw down. I just don't see that as a real need on this team. Between Greene and Ivanans/Westgarth I don't really see the need for another sturdy defenseman.

And you didn't really answer my larger point about having the team build from within. Why block guys like Drewiske, Hickey, and Voynov who can move the puck much more effectively at an eighth of the cost?

Old
04-23-2009, 10:25 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
What happened to not trading draft choices for an over 30 year old quick fix?
I think it's obvious that Dean has moved from "win in the future" to "win now" after the Williams trade.

I think something people are failing to looking at with our anemic offense was the lack of a true puck mover on the blueline. Yes, Doughty could rush with the best of them but he's still young and raw. I wouldn't blink twice at bringing in a guy like Kaberle who can rush the puck and put up a lot of points. He would also provide us with another veteran presence on the blueline.

I'm pretty sure Dean will move our pick, because unlike last year and the year before, our pipeline is not in dire need in any one area (Hickey) and there will be no obvious gamebreaker available (Doughty) with the 5 overall pick.

And considering Brian Burke has made it very obvious he would like to move up, with Schenn almost certainly being available at 5, I would think LA and Toronto make good trading partners on draft day.

Just my two cents.

Edit: He is also signed through 2010/2011 with a cap hit at just over 4 per. His NTC expired after this season.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 10:43 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post
I think it's obvious that Dean has moved from "win in the future" to "win now" after the Williams trade.
If that's true, it's obvious that the "plan" was just shelved and (just like the old joke) the fans have been treated like mushrooms...

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 10:54 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post

I'm pretty sure Dean will move our pick, because unlike last year and the year before, our pipeline is not in dire need in any one area (Hickey) and there will be no obvious gamebreaker available (Doughty) with the 5 overall pick.
Huh?

It could be argued that any player in this year's top five would have a legitimate chance at being a top 2 pick in last year's draft. MSP, Kane or Schenn could very well have better careers than Doughty.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 09:07 AM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chruceg View Post
And you didn't really answer my larger point about having the team build from within. Why block guys like Drewiske, Hickey, and Voynov who can move the puck much more effectively at an eighth of the cost?
I have no problem building the team from within, but those guys are not guarantees, if you have the chance of adding a bonafide NHL defensemen that is the caliber of Komisarek, you do it and worry about the kids later. I mean who knows, Quincey might not be ready at the start of the season, JJ could be traded. Who wouldn't want to replace Gauthier with Komisarek? Komisarek would step into O'D's spot and allow O'D to move into Gauthier's spot. Because really, at 38 he needs to be playing limited minutes.

Old
04-24-2009, 09:39 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
I have no problem building the team from within, but those guys are not guarantees, if you have the chance of adding a bonafide NHL defensemen that is the caliber of Komisarek, you do it and worry about the kids later. I mean who knows, Quincey might not be ready at the start of the season, JJ could be traded. Who wouldn't want to replace Gauthier with Komisarek? Komisarek would step into O'D's spot and allow O'D to move into Gauthier's spot. Because really, at 38 he needs to be playing limited minutes.
this

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 10:18 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Huh?

It could be argued that any player in this year's top five would have a legitimate chance at being a top 2 pick in last year's draft. MSP, Kane or Schenn could very well have better careers than Doughty.
The pick will be used, not traded, unless we are acquiring the big name scoring LW or center. There is NO ONE on Toronto that DL would be willing to spend the 1st round pick and the cash needed to pay the salary for.

Quote:
The idea doesnt bother me, particulalrly if JMFJ is moved, which I think is a distinct possibility, as long as it doesnt jeopardize the money available to sign the scorer we need AND Frolov!

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 12:43 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

I'm pretty sure we have the cap space to sign Komisarek, so long as the hit isn't more than 3.5-ish. I've wanted Komisarek (or Boynton) for the past several months.

If the term isn't ridiculous, like Reaper said, its a movable contract and doesn't jeapordize the youngsters at all. It gives them more time to improve their games and for us to see which ones are improving and learning the most.

Adding a dman like Komisarek would greatly increase our playoff chances next year. If we are content being on the bubble again, then we leave the D alone. However if we want to be Chicago of this year next year, then we need to bolster the NHL blueline.

I think we can sign a Komisarek, keep Johnson, Frolov and still have space for a 6-7 mill player. If we want a 8-10 million LWer (FYI, that's not happening), then we don't have the space for another 3+ million player.

On to Telos' thread to look at the numbers!

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 08:54 PM
superstar436

MTL softcore fan

Komisarek would be a good addition to most team in the NHL. A physical 6-5 and 235 lbs who has tons of character and a good leadership which could be missing in LA due to age of players.

That being said, he had a rough season defensively and believe me he is better than what he showed us this season. Last year he was a rock as he did not commit plunders or getting beat by forwards with the puck. This year ( even before the fight with Lucic in November ) he was not that good. Since coming back from the injury he played like crapp. The previous year, his good defensive play drove Rivet out of the top pairing and out of MTL. Look at his play in 06-07 & 07-08 and then judge him.

On the Lucic issue, he is not afraid of lucic. He still gave him hard checks and rubbed his face many times. Fighting wise, he sux. He is not a fighter, period.

He is a solid 3rd dman and I hope we do not let him go coz we need more players like him. For sure he will get 3.75 and more.

superstar436 is offline   Reply With Quote