HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Price vs Mason

Old
04-23-2009, 11:11 PM
NewHabsEra*

vCash: 500
Price vs Mason

Age: Mason 20 years old 6"4 212 \ Price 21 years old 6"3 219

Detroit (1) vs Columbus (8)

Boston (1) vs Montreal (8)

Mason: GP 4 \ W 0 \ L 4 \ GA 15 \ SV% .878 \ GAA 4.27

Price: GP: 4 \ W 0 \ L 4 \ GA\ 17 \ SV% .878 \ GAA 4.11

Thank you..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 11:16 PM
badfish
Habs fan in SK

I was thinking this earlier. I thought I saw mason make some motions that Price did during the series too.

Everyone has a man-crush on Mason. Rightfully earned - the kid is amazing.

But so is Price. But I think after today people wont jump down price's throat.

badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 11:16 PM
Russian Warrior
SWAG

They both suck

Russian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 11:19 PM
Schooner Guy

They're both very promising kids who played on overmatched teams in the playoffs. Mason had the better regular season but he also played on a far more defensive oriented team and wasn't in a pressure cooker like Montreal.

It's funny that after tonight's 5 goal outburst by CBJ, that they actually scored more goals in their series than the Habs did in theirs. It's actually comical that Price has been scapegoated when his team has provided only 6 goals of offense in 4 games. How can you win with that support? And that doesn't even reflect the many defensive breakdowns that led to breakaways and odd man rushes.

It goes to show that you don't have to have a high IQ to get your hands on a ticket to a Habs game.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 11:20 PM
MarkovsKnee

They're both talented youngsters who are still learning what it takes to play in the NHL and the NHL playoffs. This was Mason's first year, Price was great in his first year too and was a NHL darling. We'll see how Mason does next year. A sophemore slump is possible with him although I think Columbus has a much better defensive team which helps.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 11:20 PM
holyhabs

pascal leclaire had 9 shutouts with a worse team

thats what playing in a good defensive system does

holyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 11:23 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post

Thank you..
You're trying to make Price feel good? It won't work. Despite similarities, it'll always be:

"One choked all season long while the other dominated the league in regular season. Playoff stats don't matter."

I'm not even going to bother arguing, I know Price is a gem. I know Mason is a gem, no need to put them head to head an determine a sure fire winner. Hopefully they both lead their team to greatness, equally. Both deserve it.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 11:29 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
They're both very promising kids who played on overmatched teams in the playoffs. Mason had the better regular season but he also played on a far more defensive oriented team and wasn't in a pressure cooker like Montreal.

It's funny that after tonight's 5 goal outburst by CBJ, that they actually scored more goals in their series than the Habs did in theirs. It's actually comical that Price has been scapegoated when his team has provided only 6 goals of offense in 4 games. How can you win with that support? And that doesn't even reflect the many defensive breakdowns that led to breakaways and odd man rushes.

It goes to show that you don't have to have a high IQ to get your hands on a ticket to a Habs game.
I didnt see the CLM vs Det serie, so I dont know if Mason has been rather weak on some goals but I saw the MTL vs Bos one and there is no goal I recall Price has been weak on, he has always been beat by perfect shots or perfect plays..

To resume, goaltenders can make the difference at a certain extend, but they largely depend of the team playing in front of them, its a team game where the systems and the details are more and more important..

Old
04-23-2009, 11:34 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
You're trying to make Price feel good? It won't work. Despite similarities, it'll always be:

"One choked all season long while the other dominated the league in regular season. Playoff stats don't matter."

I'm not even going to bother arguing, I know Price is a gem. I know Mason is a gem, no need to put them head to head an determine a sure fire winner. Hopefully they both lead their team to greatness, equally. Both deserve it.
Im trying to make some people realize that there is nothing Price could do to change anything at what happened in playoffs, as well as Price is really not the only one to blame for the bad second half we had, he had some bad games but the team played atrociously in front of him as well.. There is a limit to put the blame on our goaltenders, its the same story every years, if our goaltenders dont do miracles every nights they are the first ones targeted, it has to change and people have to realize what it takes to be competitive in this league these days.. The kid is 21 years old, come on...

People are praising a guy like Kovalev who only played in the last stretch of the season and the 4 games we played in playoffs, they already forgot the numerous games where he was floating and didnt look to care at all about winning.. A good stand up show in the last stretch to shut up people mouth and everything is ok, everything has been forgiven, not to mention he still struggled to play well with his linemates in those late season games.. Open your eyes and boo the right players when its the time to instead keeping cheering for a team showing no effort no emotion no poise no composure for a big part of the season.. oleee oleee olee oleeee duh duh duh..

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 04-23-2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old
04-24-2009, 12:25 AM
mastodon

I was going to make this exact thread right after Columbus got swept. I was going to see if everyone was throwing Mason under the bus as well. I think in both series the goalies never really had a chance on a lot of the goals. They were just playing far superior teams. I think Price will bounce back next year, this year was just a sophomore slump. Mason will probably have more troubles next year than he did this year as well.

mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 12:34 AM
slimkay

Don't forget Kovalev is l'Artiste (the Artist).

slimkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 12:41 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

I didn't see any of the Clb/Det series but I am going to guess that Mason was, much like Price, simply overmatched.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 12:57 AM
Tray4Adams

And compare the difference between playing in Montreal, in the playoffs, in their centennial year versus playing in Columbus.

Hell, playing a regular season game in Montreal is more pressure-packed than a playoff game in Columbus.

Tray4Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 01:02 AM
slimkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveFor25IsAlive View Post
And compare the difference between playing in Montreal, in the playoffs, in their centennial year versus playing in Columbus.

Hell, playing a regular season game in Montreal is more pressure-packed than a playoff game in Columbus.
I'd disagree here. It was Columbus' first series; there must have been an extra deal of pressure on those Jackets... not to the extent of Playoff!Habs but still..

slimkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 01:15 AM
mastodon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveFor25IsAlive View Post

I know what you're saying, but I watched that game tonight and the Columbus crowd was actually pretty awesome. They were chanting and it looked like everyone was standing for large portions of the game. Pretty good crowd.

mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 01:35 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon View Post
I know what you're saying, but I watched that game tonight and the Columbus crowd was actually pretty awesome. They were chanting and it looked like everyone was standing for large portions of the game. Pretty good crowd.
Yeah Columbus is a pretty good hockey city, their fans know the game alot.. Im happy they made the playoffs for the first time, thats a good hockey market..

Old
04-24-2009, 01:57 AM
ari1160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post

really ? did he really choke all season long? cuz if i remember before his injury his stats was sv% 0.920 and gaa around 2.20 ishh..

ari1160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 02:27 AM
Tray4Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon View Post
I agree, I watched the game as well and the arena was buzzing from start to finish. I was just trying to get a point across though, no goalie faces more pressure than Carey Price and it really isn't even close.

Tray4Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 06:02 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Great. You want to feel good about Price, well you can do it that way. Would love to keep that thread not so far though for the years to come.

By the way, Mason starts his career with a Calder nomination and a possible Vezina nomination. And by watching them, not saying he won't improve, if you believe that Price is superior to Mason, if you believe that he doesn't overcommit to shots that much, if he doesn't drop to his knees too soon, if he challenges the shooters just as much as Mason does, well you can still think he's better than Mason. But you just haven't watch the Columbus vs Detroit game. Mind you Mason wasn't exactly stellar, clearly he didn't challenge the shooters as much as he uses to do in the regular season. But I can assure that there's a lot more work to do with Price than with Mason.

But I still believe Mason has more to be a superior goalie than Price. But that doesn't mean that Price won't be great though.

I really wish that one day people starts to actually watch the players play instead of watching the stats. For heaven's sake, on the Norris nominations thread, somebody stated some stats that seemed to prove that Komisarek was better defensively to Markov this year.....isn't that a proof that stats needs to be used carefully?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 07:26 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

What a dumb thread.

First of all, Steve Mason was a rookie who almost, by himself, put the Columbus Blue Jackets on the map and into the playoffs. Again, he was a rookie. Detroit is also a proven playoff performer.

You're comparing Price to a rookie, who was incredible all season to make himself feel better? Steve Mason was the equivalent to Price last year, not this year.

Price, while not all the fault can lay on his shoulders, was bland during the season, and just not good enough in the playoffs. He needed to be the goaltender he was last season for us to stand a chance without Markov, he didn't come close.

Some people need to take off the rose coloured glasses. It sucks, but Price regressed this year, along with many other plays on our roster. I'm confident he (and guys like Plekanec) can bounce back, but they should not be given a free ride to do so.

Price was absolutely horrendous in 2009, I don't feel like compiling stats, but I wouldn't be surprised if he had a mere 25% win%. Giving him the net, without question, over Halak was the biggest mistake Gainey made during 2009, so far. Not because Halak is god or because Halak is the future, but because by letting Price think he's got no competition is only going to hurt him.

Roy was pulled in the playoffs for Hayward, we know how that turned out. Maybe Roy realized at that point in time that he wasn't going to be handed everything because he won a Stanley Cup in his rookie year and knew he had to play better to reach his potential. Maybe without Hayward coming in and stealing his spotlight in the playoffs was what ended up making him who he was; an All-Star.

To me, the biggest fault so far in Price, is the way he has been handled by Bob Gainey. Gainey's done some good things and some bad things, and lately, it seems the bad are outweighing the good. If Price really is his future, he needs to sit down and realize that letting him have the net no matter how his performance is, wont be the best case scenario.

I know I went off from the Mason/Price debate, but that's a bit stupid in my opinion, giving the comparison. Just because Mason played mediocre (as a rookie, mind you) doesn't give any reason for Price to be mediocre as well.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 07:33 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I know I went off from the Mason/Price debate, but that's a bit stupid in my opinion, giving the comparison. Just because Mason played mediocre (as a rookie, mind you) doesn't give any reason for Price to be mediocre as well.
Great post. Don't worry, people always needs something to feel good about the team and don't want to face the reality. If it makes them feel better, so be it. They'll just have to prepare for a rude awakening, though when it happens, they'll find some other things to say, like for every player that leaves or that doesn't sign here. You know the "it would not have happened here" typical comment....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 07:47 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by ari1160 View Post
really ? did he really choke all season long? cuz if i remember before his injury his stats was sv% 0.920 and gaa around 2.20 ishh..
That is what people will always remember about Price's 2nd season. I know better, but I'm just telling you the public perception.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 08:24 AM
malton

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

The comparison is stupid, but not because of the reasons you've stated. It's stupid to compare Price and Mason because of the systems (or lack of one) that their team plays.

malton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 08:30 AM
Le depisteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post

Thank you..
I posted this 1 hour before you...

Save %, 2009 playoffs
Evgeni Nabokov .888
Nikolai Khabibulin .883
Carey Price .878
Steve Mason .878

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...2#post19252502

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 08:33 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
I posted this 1 hour before you...

Save %, 2009 playoffs
Evgeni Nabokov .888
Nikolai Khabibulin .883
Carey Price .878
Steve Mason .878

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...2#post19252502
The one i'm really dissapointed in out of those is Nabokov...

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote