HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ashamed to be a Habs fan

Old
04-23-2009, 01:07 PM
Ursamajor4life

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saints96 View Post
its about having class, which is an attribute thats lacking with our fans, and media
Its not just you guys. Boston has its share of bandwagon retards too. You guys will be back in a big way im sure next year. I must say, I am envious every time we play in Montreal.From your top notch anthem singers to the way the Montreal fans actually sing the anthem to the shear electricity that makes the hair on my neck stand up when the place goes berserk. Dont let an off year get you down. It was also an honor to be chosen as your 100th season opening night opponent. Another class move by a class organization. Also in parting I must also add that you Canadien fans,(by saying this I mean the real true fans),are some of the most knowledgable and classy in the game. I look forward to next years season when we meet again.

Ursamajor4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 01:09 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Oh please, it's not 21,000 fans who are booing it's the drunk tards in the upper bowl that are. Those aren't fans, those are idiots.
Don't try be logic with those posters, they cope with their frustrations by blaming all the fans like they were a piece of crap.

I guess it easier to blame the fans than blaming the players or the organisation.

I think we have too many cheerleaders on those boards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
Listen to CKAC right now, the big fat ****** JC Lajoie is applauding the fans booing yesterday.
He said he could not blame them, there is a major difference between those two statements. God you guys are digging for problems in the media, it amazing to see how bias you became.

And yes I personnally can't stand this guy, he really gets on my nerve. But at least, try to be a little more critical.

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 01:10 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursamajor4life View Post
Its not just you guys. Boston has its share of bandwagon retards too. You guys will be back in a big way im sure next year. I must say, I am envious every time we play in Montreal.From your top notch anthem singers to the way the Montreal fans actually sing the anthem to the shear electricity that makes the hair on my neck stand up when the place goes berserk. Dont let an off year get you down. It was also an honor to be chosen as your 100th season opening night opponent. Another class move by a class organization. Also in parting I must also add that you Canadien fans,(by saying this I mean the real true fans),are some of the most knowledgable and classy in the game. I look forward to next years season when we meet again.
Classy post and thanks for the kind words. I can't say I'm overjoyed by being consoled by a Bruins fan, you'll understand why, I'm sure, but it is nevertheless appreciated. I'll add this, as much as it pains me : good luck to the bruins. Because if you guys win the cup, we can always claim to be the second best team in the league, by my twisted and homerly logic.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 01:12 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post
Don't try be logic with those posters, they cope with their frustrations by blaming all the fans like they were a piece of crap.

I guess it easier to blame the fans than blaming the players or the organisation.

I think we have too many cheerleaders on those boards.

As Melanson said, don<t judge the whole crowd by the 1500-2000 dummies drinking bear in the Molson Zone.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Kikizaz

I am not ashamed to be a Habs Fan, I am ashamed for all the faux-Habs fans. My jerseys are worn with pride and love everytime!!

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 07:10 AM
Peter6625

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
To be fair, the Bruins were 17th in the NHL at total attendance at 17,039 a game, and 19th in percentage at 91.5% capacity. Kinda sad actually.
That's where the stats really don't paint an accurate picture. At the start of this season the building was still dead, it didn't start filling up til after the 15th home game, before that most weeknight games average about 12,000. People jumped on the bandwagon when the team got off to a fast start and proved they could win consistently. Get's me sick of how many fair weather fans jumped on the Bruins wagon. I use to get laughed at for going to so many games.

I would like to compare attendance from the first 15 and the last 15 games. I'm sure that will prove how full of bandwagon fans Boston has.

Peter6625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 07:37 AM
JackieChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Good post...i'm looking forward to a younger generation taking over the coverage of the Habs in Montreal. The 'old guard' is spoiled by the success of the past and think the Habs still compete in a 12 team league. I can't wait for the day where coverage of the Habs will consist more of talking about actual hockey and strategies, rather than hidden political debates or this sensationalism that's taken over the coverage of the Habs
Well put, this is my main concern with the Habs coverage. Too many ex players and ex coaches sitting in armchairs in the post-game shows. On the other hand, La Zone is an example that demonstrates a show like that can be done properly.

Regarding the sensationalism, it won't go away, hockey players will always be the in the spotlight in this city, ahead of tv personnalities, singers and whatnot. For every Jean-Charles there's a Dany Dubé, and for every PJ Stock there is a Pat Hickey (ok I took both extremes, but you get my point).

Can we ask ourselves the question: how come the names Markov, Komisarek, Kovalev come up most of the time in hockey-related discussions, and the names Price, Higgins (and Ribeiro, Theodore before that...) come up half the time in sensationalism-related discussions? There are always going to be players choosing to stay low key and stay dedicated to hockey, and others who embrace the jet-set Montreal has to offer. And there will always be media to report on both aspects.

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 07:42 AM
Rickkins

While I probably wouldn't boo my team, regardless of how or what I feel inside, I can certainly understand why some do it.

The cost of a night out at a habs game in Montreal is exorbitant...especially if one dares to bring a family and doesn't actually want to sit in a seat that comes with it's own oxygen mask...and that's if you can even get tickets to a game that you want to see in the first place.

So if you're plopping down over a grand to have an evening out with the family at a hockey game, and the product on the ice stinks...booing is perfectly acceptable.

Plus, in a free society, we do not suppress the opinions of others, regardless of our own opinions.

Rickkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 07:51 AM
kingshmegland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
To be fair, the Bruins were 17th in the NHL at total attendance at 17,039 a game, and 19th in percentage at 91.5% capacity. Kinda sad actually.

It's not sad when you have 4 major pro teams. I won't even begin to count how many college teams as well as a lacrosse and soccer teams. And in this bad economic times? You ran a Pro baseball team out of Montreal. You should think before you post.

kingshmegland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 07:56 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickkins View Post
While I probably wouldn't boo my team, regardless of how or what I feel inside, I can certainly understand why some do it.

The cost of a night out at a habs game in Montreal is exorbitant...especially if one dares to bring a family and doesn't actually want to sit in a seat that comes with it's own oxygen mask...and that's if you can even get tickets to a game that you want to see in the first place.

So if you're plopping down over a grand to have an evening out with the family at a hockey game, and the product on the ice stinks...booing is perfectly acceptable.

Plus, in a free society, we do not suppress the opinions of others, regardless of our own opinions.
Boo your team, dont ridicule players. You dont have to stop being civilized because you paid to see something. And no one is forcing anyone to go to the Bell Center. We are lucky we have every game on RDS. Personally I think the team gave everything in the playoffs but they didnt have the resources and energy to keep playing hard for 60 minutes each game.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 08:31 AM
Ishmael

Quote:

There seems to have developed a line of reasoning that tickets are so damn expensive that it gives one the right to boo at their whim, and that players make so much money they should just suck it up and quit whining.

That gives money way too much importance. How you decide to treat people shouldn't be based on whether you think you've paid enough. That might be applicable for prostitution, but not society at large.

We do live in a society that has certain protections for free speech, but that doesn't mean it's OK to walk down the street telling people that you think they look ugly. Just because someone is wealthy doesn't make it OK to shout insults at them across the street. If they're an *******, sure (that's just karma ), but not just because they're wealthy or not.

Personally, I think silence speaks more eloquently than boos. It's not rude; it's just the crowd saying, "you gave us nothing to cheer about". And yes, I would personally rather that people didn't show up than harass the team; it sends a stronger message. We have far more influence in our society with how we choose to spend our money than voting or booing or protesting or anything else.

If you spend the money to go to a game and ae disappointed in the effort on the ice (as opposed to the result), demand your money back. You won't get it, of course, but if everybody starts doing that, they'll take notice for sure.

And players have way more freedom to move around than they ever used to. I think the team does its part to try and be a classy organization (although I want to see a high-quality, permanent coach), but the bipolar (as opposed to passionate) fanbase and paparazzi media clearly acts as a deterrent to attracting players that can help the team win.

Price deserves some criticism for his apparent off-ice distractions this year. There are probably a few elements on the team that need to be straightened out, or replaced. But for the most part, the team is one I happily cheer and support.

Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 09:01 AM
Rickkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
There seems to have developed a line of reasoning that tickets are so damn expensive that it gives one the right to boo at their whim, and that players make so much money they should just suck it up and quit whining.
Not so, my green thinking friend.
The right is derived from living in a society that enshrines free speech. The cost of tickets would only account for the inclination...

Rickkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 11:22 AM
j c petit
Locked-out

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieChan View Post
Well put, this is my main concern with the Habs coverage. Too many ex players and ex coaches sitting in armchairs in the post-game shows. On the other hand, La Zone is an example that demonstrates a show like that can be done properly.

Regarding the sensationalism, it won't go away, hockey players will always be the in the spotlight in this city, ahead of tv personnalities, singers and whatnot. For every Jean-Charles there's a Dany Dubé, and for every PJ Stock there is a Pat Hickey (ok I took both extremes, but you get my point).

Can we ask ourselves the question: how come the names Markov, Komisarek, Kovalev come up most of the time in hockey-related discussions, and the names Price, Higgins (and Ribeiro, Theodore before that...) come up half the time in sensationalism-related discussions? There are always going to be players choosing to stay low key and stay dedicated to hockey, and others who embrace the jet-set Montreal has to offer. And there will always be media to report on both aspects.
Actually, too many ex-Nordiques for my taste. Coach Bergeron and his minions like Crete, Villenueve, Fournier and even Tremblay. They're Hab-haters and would criticize anything pro-Hab even in the best of times.

j c petit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 11:31 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
True, we don't suppress opinions. But it doesn't mean we have to RESPECT them. Some people are genuinely morons, and their opinions are genuinely moronic.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 11:36 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

And btw, the Canadiens would be perfectly in their legal right (for example) to stop peoples from booing at the Bell Centers and expels without refund everybody caught doing it. Just like a movie theater has the right to expels you if you talk during the movie. It's a private property, so up to a point they can do pretty much what they please

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 11:58 AM
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshmegland View Post
It's not sad when you have 4 major pro teams. I won't even begin to count how many college teams as well as a lacrosse and soccer teams. And in this bad economic times? You ran a Pro baseball team out of Montreal. You should think before you post.
most of the post aside, nobody ran a pro sports team out of town MLB killed the expos - and that is a FACT. it had nothing to do with lack of interest. selig and his crony idiots ruined baseball here

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 12:11 PM
Raskolnikov76

If someone has to feel ashamed, it's the players.

It seems like I'm the only one having a problem with that, since every one here tells me to give the players are break.

Maybe I'm too old school, but the priority should be on finding someone's who's gonna do for the Habs what Cam Neely's doing right now for the Bruins: take care of the kids, force them to focus on hockey and make sure they're walking straight.

Sorry, but I just can't get over the fact that half the team has been spotted partying on St-Laurent street last wednesday after the game.

Anyway, if a guy that was considered to be our next captain has no shame about getting drunk and partying the night he gets his ass kicked by Lucic for the 231 times this year, I don't think the fans should feel any shame for booing them.

Raskolnikov76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 01:56 PM
JrHockeyFan

I'd agree with the author of this thread if instead of saying: "I am ashamed to be a Habs fan" he said "some Habs fans make me ashamed to be associated with them"

There's a HUGE difference. It's not like all habs fans, or even a majority deserve this

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 02:11 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov76 View Post
If someone has to feel ashamed, it's the players.

It seems like I'm the only one having a problem with that, since every one here tells me to give the players are break.

Maybe I'm too old school, but the priority should be on finding someone's who's gonna do for the Habs what Cam Neely's doing right now for the Bruins: take care of the kids, force them to focus on hockey and make sure they're walking straight.

Sorry, but I just can't get over the fact that half the team has been spotted partying on St-Laurent street last wednesday after the game.

Anyway, if a guy that was considered to be our next captain has no shame about getting drunk and partying the night he gets his ass kicked by Lucic for the 231 times this year, I don't think the fans should feel any shame for booing them.

Are you sure that this sort of behavior is confined to the Habs or that Habs of previous generations didn't do the same? What did you expect the players to do, shower, dress, and head straight to the confession box?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

I have one rule when it comes to this: never boo your players. I don't care if you paid a lot for your tickets, I don't care that they're not scoring on the PP, don't boo your own players! If they play bad you should cheer and support them. When you have a kid and he struggles, you don't say to him "you suck, you're a disgrace!", no you support him so that he get better and makes it. Because when he does well everybody wins. Indeed we want our team to win and our players to do well, right? Booing them causes the opposite effect.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote