HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Interesting UFAs that could help the team IYO..

Old
04-23-2009, 10:54 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarto View Post
Was looking at the available goalies...

Manny Legace
Martin Gerber
Mathieu Garon
Marc Denis

I wouldn't mind getting Legace to mentor Price. Garon wouldn't be bad either, but not as much for mentoring.

Halak then becomes expendable...and maybe the only roster player with remaining value.
Legace isn't the type of guy to be a mentor. St Louis straight out waived him and went with inexperienced back ups because Legace wanted to be the starter and they didn't want his negativity on the team.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 11:02 PM
Delat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
for me, its either re-tool like Philly did or rebuild. Kotalik would just be another stop gap move in yet another "competitive" rebuild.

its time to either live and die by the youngsters of this team and possibly fail miserably and get a top pick or get real bold and change the franchise and make some deals.
We are still a young team, a rebuild is maybe too early, I'd be ready to take a big bet this summer. but it won't mean a stanley cup and as much as I'd like to rebuild, I don't think it'll help us t come back THAT strong in the future, that's why I think this team needs another year with some better players here and there, Kotalik was just a name thrown there, but if we can get a better player I won't say no!

Delat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 12:11 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
How about Khabibulin?

He would provide you a vet to play 45-50 games next year who gives Habs a playoff tested minder who can mentor Price while he continues to learn as an NHL goalie.

Khabibulin seemed fine after the initial shock of being in a 1A/1B goalie situation.

He still has a few good years in him. Maybe 1-2 yrs as your starter 1A while Price plays 35-45 games a yr. Then Price moves back into role as full time starter and Khabibulin moves into a backup role.

The market for Khabibulin will be limited and teams will try to offer him short term higher value deals. He said he wants his next contract to be his last. So maybe the Habs should offer him a lower value 3mil maybe a yr for 4 yrs.

You guys then trade Halak to team like Avs or Oilers looking for young potential #1 goalies. Get assets for him and then use those assets to continue to build up your team.

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 12:30 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Gionta, Legace, Kolzig, Cammalleri, Gaborik, Hossa, Henrik Sedin, Comrie, Beauchemin.

Take your pick, Guaranteed none will come here lol

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 03:03 AM
NewHabsEra*

Well, now that everyone agree there are a couple of interesting UFAs, which one(s) do you think Gainey will be able to sign?

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 08:43 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Well, now that everyone agree there are a couple of interesting UFAs, which one(s) do you think Gainey will be able to sign?
None to very few, or the same amount as every year before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
I thought it was re-evaluated after every season?
The cap is evaluated every year. The thought is that since this year was a good one for the NHL, but a very very bad one in the finanical world slash global economy (said to be the worst global economy in 80 years) the cap should remain around the same next year, since the league had an increase this year, but they thought is that perhaps the following year the cap could see a drop due to what is going on now in the economy.

What it comes down to is that after next season, it's really unknown what the future cap will look like since it's unkown what impact there will be on the league due to this financial mess. Maybe it will be bad, maybe it won't be that bad at all, and maybe the cap will actually go up, as the turnaround is taking place at least in the US, while slow, should start to pick up more over the next year. (I work in investment banking so I deal with this everyday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
MUST land either havlat hossa or gaborik
Yea that sounds likely to happen.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 08:50 AM
Hermamoud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
Sign Beauchemin, Bouwmeister, Komisarek and Spacek for whatever money they're asking for... trade Price +++++ and five 1st round picks for the 1st overall and get Hedman, sign him till 2030. Sign other Dmans, play McDough, Subban, Weber, Emelin, Carle, Valentenko on the third and forth lines.

... man, our D squad was painfull to watch this year.
But what about the defense?

(lol, McDough, is he gonna be Latendresse's new room mate?)

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 09:04 AM
Capitano

In order of priority :

Francois Beauchemin - I'm worried that Komo will price himself out of our range

Chris Neil - grit, toughness, some unexpected goals, can win his fights

Ian Laperriere - grit, toughness, fights, good team guy

Michael Rupp - big body, tough

These are all realistic imo...we need to go after a top center of some sort though - no UFAs out there fit the bill, so we need to package some players to go and get one...and it won't be Vinny obviously.

I know this won't be a popular notion here, but I would go after Joe Thornton if we could get him. Thornton just needs some support by some character players, he would be great with us imo.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 09:52 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
In order of priority :

Francois Beauchemin - I'm worried that Komo will price himself out of our range

Chris Neil - grit, toughness, some unexpected goals, can win his fights

Ian Laperriere - grit, toughness, fights, good team guy

Michael Rupp - big body, tough

These are all realistic imo...we need to go after a top center of some sort though - no UFAs out there fit the bill, so we need to package some players to go and get one...and it won't be Vinny obviously.

I know this won't be a popular notion here, but I would go after Joe Thornton if we could get him. Thornton just needs some support by some character players, he would be great with us imo.
I agree with the names you are putting forward. With Neil, Laperrière and Rupp on the 3rd and 4th line, that team really becomes tough and all 3 guys doesn't really THAT much make your team much slower. So you are bringing character and some playoffs grit. But it won't happen. They don't believe in this.

As far as Thornton is concerned, well I'm on the fence. It would give us a better team in the regular season. And at point, you have to think that he'd become good one day in the playoffs, but then it all depends of the price. If his bad playoffs makes him available at the right price, he'd still be more valuable to our team than Plekanec would ever be....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 10:01 AM
Habitants

I want Tanguay back no doubt! they need him he is a great player, and he is just hittign his prime! he had a rough season with injuries, but i want him back!

I want Koivu back.
would not mind schneider back to replace Brezzeby- at reduced price
would not mind Lang back, could use pleks in a trade. - at same or lower price
would not mind kovalev back - depending on his price if not able to get any other rw either through trade or UFA

one big strong D:
Morris
Boynton

could be interesting if they would ever sign in MTL
Gaborik
hossa
Havlat
cole

veteran goalie to mentor price? i like halak but if he needs to be included in a trade to get something more interesting then i dont mind to sign
Legace
Garon

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 10:02 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I agree with the names you are putting forward. With Neil, Laperrière and Rupp on the 3rd and 4th line, that team really becomes tough and all 3 guys doesn't really THAT much make your team much slower. So you are bringing character and some playoffs grit. But it won't happen. They don't believe in this.

As far as Thornton is concerned, well I'm on the fence. It would give us a better team in the regular season. And at point, you have to think that he'd become good one day in the playoffs, but then it all depends of the price. If his bad playoffs makes him available at the right price, he'd still be more valuable to our team than Plekanec would ever be....
The problem is that the grit we're lacking is on the top two lines and that's where we fail when the going gets tough.

I don't see anything (or very little) on the UFA market to address this so it will have to be addressed through trades.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 10:17 AM
Courtnall6

Mike Grier..??? No thanks....

Courtnall6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 10:32 AM
j c petit
Locked-out

The guys I want:

Havlat, Martin
Tanguay, Alex
Bouwmeester, Jay
Beauchemin, Francois

The guys we'll probably get:

...that is all.

j c petit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 10:46 AM
kovalost27

Knuble is a guy Montreal should consider signing.

kovalost27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 10:51 AM
Captain Saku

I think Bob Gainey should use the same strategy but in reverse that players use for negotiations with habs to drive their contracts up and end up signing elsewhere just like how Briere did.

So, knowing that no top UFA player will sign here, Bob should be agressive and offer them long term - top money contracts in order to push other teams towards the cap and put them in a trouble situation. This is a strategy that will allow him to make trades a la Lang and get high paid players for less of what they're really worth!

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 10:59 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
The problem is that the grit we're lacking is on the top two lines and that's where we fail when the going gets tough.

I don't see anything (or very little) on the UFA market to address this so it will have to be addressed through trades.
Gritty top 6 players that put points on the board are hard to come by...and it really depends on what happens in our top 6 anyway.

The guys I suggested are definitely bottom 6 players. I also think the lack of a team style/gameplan/system hurt us against Boston - it was obvious they were playing with a purpose and we weren't.

So I think if we could acquire a top point-getting Center (like Joe Thornton) to replace Plekanec then it could do wonders for us. Saku still brought it, and yes he is getting older but we need guys who put the puck in the net in our top 6. Thornton is a big boy, he might not have the playoff success, but I think it's mostly because he has not been in the right situation.

If we could make a package to get Thornton, that would really fill a big hole for us to get us points in the regular season at least - like Whitesnake said.

The coach will be a big part of any playoff success we have.

Old
04-24-2009, 11:00 AM
slimkay

Quote:
Gritty top 6 players that put points on the board are hard to come by...and it really depends on what happens in our top 6 anyway.

The guys I suggested are definitely bottom 6 players. I also think the lack of a team style/gameplan/system hurt us against Boston - it was obvious they were playing with a purpose and we weren't.

So I think if we could acquire a top point-getting Center (like Joe Thornton) to replace Plekanec then it could do wonders for us. Saku still brought it, and yes he is getting older but we need guys who put the puck in the net in our top 6. Thornton is a big boy, he might not have the playoff success, but I think it's mostly because he has not been in the right situation.

If we could make a package to get Thornton, that would really fill a big hole for us to get us points in the regular season at least - like Whitesnake said.

The coach will be a big part of any playoff success we have.
And choke like he has been for 10+ years, no thanks.

slimkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 11:05 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimkay View Post
And choke like he has been for 10+ years, no thanks.
The reality of the situation is that there will be no other legit number 1 center available. Thornton will probably be available and like I said, I think it would be a good fit to put him in the same lineup as guys like Koivu, Higgins, Kovalev, etc.

I knew some people would bash the suggestion, but I think it's a fairly realistic one.

Old
04-24-2009, 11:45 AM
Nedved

Quote:
The reality of the situation is that there will be no other legit number 1 center available. Thornton will probably be available and like I said, I think it would be a good fit to put him in the same lineup as guys like Koivu, Higgins, Kovalev, etc.

I knew some people would bash the suggestion, but I think it's a fairly realistic one.
it be weird seeing thornton here, though i think hed be a gainey type player and fit in well here. whatever that means.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 11:55 AM
HF-Addict

I would definitely go after Havlat. We are talking about a superstar who has ties with Montreal. You have to go all out on him.

HF-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 12:05 PM
JackieChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by j c petit View Post
The guys I want:

Havlat, Martin
Tanguay, Alex
Bouwmeester, Jay
Beauchemin, Francois

The guys we'll probably get:

...that is all.
Havlat is a definite possibility, spends his summers here.

High risk, high reward.

Bob should mind the D first though, throw whatever amount it takes for Jay Bouw, and build from there.

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 01:21 PM
goman

At first scan I'd circle these guys...

Bouwmeester
Ohlund
Madden
Kolzig
Knuble
Grier
Pyatt
Seidenberg
Montador
Conklin

Love to see Madden here. The need for size up the middle is just too great to ignore. I'd like to see a veteran backup for Price who's capable of playing 25-35 games. Don't know that Kolzig still can or not. Some bigger wingers for the top 6 would be great.

Not a ton available it seems though. I guess they'll have to look at trades.

goman is offline   Reply With Quote